HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who would be Habs'#1 center if...

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Arnot adds a whole new dimension to the team. Who to put against thorton, eric, primeau etc
The idea of what we think Arnott is, adds a new dimension. I'm not sure from all I hear now, that Arnott is the guy. Koivu,strangely enough has fared well against a lot of big centers, esp. Thornton.

The idea of the big C, who'll play hard every night does offer a lot of nice options though.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
You know that ? Wow .... Maybe Koivu should start showing us his stuff... I think you should look at the stats

Anyway, I don't care anymore... Folks on this board are so much in love with St saku. Love is blind.
But the stats indicate that Koivu is slightly better than Arnott, don't they?

Old
05-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
You know that ? Wow .... Maybe Koivu should start showing us his stuff... I think you should look at the stats

Anyway, I don't care anymore... Folks on this board are so much in love with St saku. Love is blind.
If you look at Arnott's stats since leaving NJ, you'll see how horrible he's become. This year is an acception cuz it's his contract year. Obviously you haven't thought this comment threw.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Maley
Your hate for Koivu, because he's not a Rene Levesque fan..and doesn't speak french ...

Go Habs Go...

Maybe he simply has a different opinion than you? At least he brings numbers to support his opinions... or facts at minimum.

Please keep language out of the issue. Lets try to be civil here.

I may not have followed Habitué's illustious posting carreer like some of you guys have but I found his initial question valid.

In my opinion, the biggest crime here would be to present a monolithic opinion about a subject matter and try to mudsling anyone who has a divergeant opinion.

BTW, I'm french-canadian and I try my best to convey my opinions in a civil manner. I like that there are habs fan of different countries that can have different opinions.

I do not repeat mindlessly everything that 110% and CKAC broadcast. I suggest that some of you take the same distance from the CJAD bandwagon (which I listen to daily in case you wondered.)

Koivu is not a god. He will eventually turn out to be not good enough for the NHL (its called getting old... ask Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky).

I just grow so tired of people who jumps at the first assumption that he might be less that a total stud.

The original poster was talking about contractual values... an interesting subject IMO and I did not see it as a way to "get back" at Koivu.

/endrant

Old
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
If you look at Arnott's stats since leaving NJ, you'll see how horrible he's become. This year is an acception cuz it's his contract year. Obviously you haven't thought this comment threw.
Arnott may very well be a good fit here, he's not in any way a terrible player. There was an article by Red Fisher today about Carbo, and he spoke a bit about types of players. Nothing too revealing,but he spoke about recognizing players willingness to sacrifice. That's agood way to describe the types of 'winning' players they want. If Carbo sees that in Arnott,they'll pursue him. I have the feeling that he may not be the guy, but we'll know soon enough who's being targeted. otoh, if our staff recognizes the right qualities,so will many others.

Old
05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
Maybe he simply has a different opinion than you? At least he brings numbers to support his opinions... or facts at minimum.

Please keep language out of the issue. Lets try to be civil here.

I may not have followed Habitué's illustious posting carreer like some of you guys have but I found his initial question valid.

In my opinion, the biggest crime here would be to present a monolithic opinion about a subject matter and try to mudsling anyone who has a divergeant opinion.

BTW, I'm french-canadian and I try my best to convey my opinions in a civil manner. I like that there are habs fan of different countries that can have different opinions.

I do not repeat mindlessly everything that 110% and CKAC broadcast. I suggest that some of you take the same distance from the CJAD bandwagon (which I listen to daily in case you wondered.)

Koivu is not a god. He will eventually turn out to be not good enough for the NHL (its called getting old... ask Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky).

I just grow so tired of people who jumps at the first assumption that he might be less that a total stud.

The original poster was talking about contractual values... an interesting subject IMO and I did not see it as a way to "get back" at Koivu.

/endrant
What I like about hf is most opinions are formed individually and aren't heavily influenced by our media friends. I think the topic had an agenda in that certain satisfaction would have been taken by classifying a player differently. I think the title is meaningless because the team functions best when players have clear roles. Saku plays with Kovy an dboth their point totals increase but the lack of balance kills them in terms of matchups.

Koivu, like Kovy need to be placed in roles that they can succeed in, because in reality, I think there are about 10 players in the league who can be dropped anywhere and make things revolve around them. Neither player is like that. The truth is that these players were signed because what they bring to the table is valued enough by management to spend the $. It may have something to do with the fact that they haven't seen much offensive talent considering Mtl. as a prime destination.

btw, I resent you being a French Canadian and using words like monolithic just to make me feel bad about my own limited vocabulary, you damn troglodyte.

Old
05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee

Koivu, like Kovy need to be placed in roles that they can succeed in, because in reality, I think there are about 10 players in the league who can be dropped anywhere and make things revolve around them.

...btw, I resent you being a French Canadian and using words like monolithic just to make me feel bad about my own limited vocabulary, you damn troglodyte.
You have a good point there.

I can admit that I was among the crowd the found Koivu lacked a bit of... zip... in the playoffs (and in regular season).

Now I admit that I tend to be biased when things are about the habs.

Until I found myself argumenting that Thornton wasn't a bust with the Sharks in the playoffs because he permitted Marleau to act in a much better context.

And the Sharks are one of the teams I could care less (I actually don't follow them that much).

This pushed me to realise that maybe Koivu wasn't so successfull because he did not have strong enough support from the 2nd line (kind of like the pre-thorton Marleau...)

So... if we push our logic to its limits... we would help Koivu by finding... a Ribeiro upgrade!

And for that Monolithic thing, don't worry, I've done much worse...

I once was advised to stop using latin in my management reports.

Although I find that some concept are much better transmitted in latin... like "Ceteris Paribus" or "Ad Nauseam"...

Old
05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
mcphee

I think the role and even the play of Koivu is changing a bit, and he may be a better player while not putting up the same numbers. I think signing him had something to do with making a point about what was valued in a player, more than just numbers.

I'd be thrilled if a forward was acquired who put up 90-100 points and played with kovalev and ribeiro. It's about winning more than Koivu's numbers and the long term security,imo, re-inforces that to him.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Carbonneau and Gainey are glad to have Koivu and probably hold out high hopes for Perezhogin. In the coming months they'll decide about Latendresse and Ribeiro and Bonk and Zednik and Lapierre. Of course they'll ignore the comments from des bas quartiers and do what they think is best for the team. They may sign Arnott or another free agent center or they may not. It'll be fun to see how things develop.

Closed Thread