HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Marcel Hossa

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Marcel Hossa

Just want to know your opinion on him since the start of the season.

Personally, I think he's one of our best player. He play hard on the board, he play with intensity and he play well defensively. Maybe he only have 2 points but the hole team seem to have some problems to put the puck in the net.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Zednikfan20

Hossa is fine by me.

Not the best player, but not the worse either. I really think he can be a big part of The Habs success! The kid seems to have "HEART"!

Old
11-02-2003, 05:00 PM
FTK

He's going to improve...

Old
11-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Rahan

Heart? We're not talking about Marian here, but Marcel.
I mean lol, he's as heartless as Perreault in his play. Sure he goes along the boards, but he also always passes the puck where there's no one. And I repeat, always. Just watch for this specific thing in the next few matches, you'll notice.

It's also been two breakaway passes missed by him, can't keep it on the stick. He has the speed but can't take the passes..

He has some qualities of course but somehow I only noticed his weaknesses so far.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Lewis63

He's nothing fancy but I can't complain. He has so much talent plus he's one of our big forwards so we should keep him on the top 2 lines. He's only 21 or 22 years old, so all you Hossa bashers out there give the kid a break!

Old
11-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Cosanostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
I mean lol, he's as heartless as Perreault in his play. Sure he goes along the boards, but he also always passes the puck where there's no one. And I repeat, always. Just watch for this specific thing in the next few matches, you'll notice.

It's also been two breakaway passes missed by him, can't keep it on the stick. He has the speed but can't take the passes..

He has some qualities of course but somehow I only noticed his weaknesses so far.
Well said rahan.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Zednikfan20

Well said!

Old
11-02-2003, 05:11 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:

So because he passes where there's no one makes him an "heartless player" ala Perreault?

Old
11-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
So because he passes where there's no one makes him an "heartless player" ala Perreault?
No, I went from a point to another. I guess I miss some transition words..

I say he's as heartless as Perreault because he often just stops skating and waits to see what will happen before actually doing something.. which is bad. He takes a few seconds to take every decision, and doesn't work his ass off most of the time, (he does work hard when along the boards but after we lose/get the puck, he doesn't even try).
Hope I cleared my points up.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Habs

Quote:

I somewhat agree to what you are saying. He is often out of position, and rarely goes to the net. He has trouble taking NHL quality passes, and often loses the puck in the offensive zone.

However... it could be the players around him. I'm not sure he gets a lot of help, since the players he is learning from aren't exactly the best role models.

He certainly had the touch in junior, we have to give him a chance to develop. If that takes few years, then fine. We certainly are not hurting out team by keeping him here.

My biggest concern, is that he will be in too much of a defensive system in Montreal, and it will hurt his development in regards to offense.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
I somewhat agree to what you are saying. He is often out of position, and rarely goes to the net. He has trouble taking NHL quality passes, and often loses the puck in the offensive zone.

However... it could be the players around him. I'm not sure he gets a lot of help, since the players he is learning from aren't exactly the best role models.

He certainly had the touch in junior, we have to give him a chance to develop. If that takes few years, then fine. We certainly are not hurting out team by keeping him here.

My biggest concern, is that he will be in too much of a defensive system in Montreal, and it will hurt his development in regards to offense.
Thanks for your post, you're bringing in some points I didn't think about.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:31 PM
CHareth

I'm gonna copy and paste Mike8's post on Hossa (taken from another thread).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Hossa has been the best player on that line of late. He does all the little things that make the line work. Without him, the line would be terrible and a defensive liability.

Currently Hossa is the defensive conscience on the line, while being the strongest forechecker, easily the strongest player along the boards and in the neutral zone. He's very solid off the draw, and drives the net with authority.

His play without the puck has advanced tremendously this season. It's his play with the puck that is lacking severely and the reason why posters are getting on his case. That said, his play with the puck is not a real problem for the line, considering Ribeiro and Zednik both enjoy hanging on to the puck way too long.

I'm starting to feel a bit like a broken record with regards to Hossa. Every poster is getting on his case, and just refuses to acknowledge the strong fundamentals that Hossa has brought every night -- and is improving every night. If this keeps up, I'm just going to copy/paste that above message in all the Hossa-bashing threads.
Hope you don't mind me copying/pasting it, Mike8, but you weren't around to do it.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon

Hope you don't mind me copying/pasting it, Mike8, but you weren't around to do it.
Well you shouldn't have copied this since it didn't apply to this thread. We destroyed the arguments of him carrying the puck, and as for defensive play, he nearly doesn't move. You should make your own posts replying, and show us plays where he actually did the things you're mentioning, because a lot of us missed it.

EDIT: Adding this... My points don't take into consideration that he's Marian's brother.. I'm looking at him as if he had no link with anyone, just talking about HIS play, not comparing to his bro.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Canadienne

I think Marcel Hossa's biggest problem is that he has a brother who is a terrific hockey player.

Other than that, I really don't see anything about him to complain about that I haven't seen from other young players, both on our own team and on others aswell.

People automatically compare him with Marian and they forget that he is just 21 years old. He has a lot of learning ahead of him and so far, I think he's been doing very well. Sure there are things he can improve at but no one can honestly say that the kid isn't trying. If they do, then they haven't been watching many games this season.

Is it any wonder why Montreal prospects don't flourish on this team? What with the media hype, the pressures of professional life and often over-whelming expectations from fans, it must be an incredibly intimidating and daunting atmosphere to suddenly enter? It's natural that everybody wants to do well in such situations. When that doesn't happen instantly, it has to be hard not to take the resulting criticisms to heart. Personally I think Montreal fans are way too harsh on all of our youngsters. Just put yourselves in their skates, and be honest... would you be able to do as well as them?

Marcel, you're a keeper!

Old
11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Well you shouldn't have copied this since it didn't apply to this thread. We destroyed the arguments of him carrying the puck, and as for defensive play, he nearly doesn't move. You should make your own posts replying, and show us plays where he actually did the things you're mentioning, because a lot of us missed it.
How does the Mike8 post not apply to this thread?? It directly applies. Freaky Habs Fan started this thread by asking "Marcel Hossa ... Just want to know your opinion on him since the start of the season." With that in mind, now read Mike8's post again. I just happen to think that Mike8 articulated my thoughts on Hossa quite nicely, thank you very much.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Rahan

Quote:
How does the Mike8 post not apply to this thread?? It directly applies. Freaky Habs Fan started this thread by asking "Marcel Hossa ... Just want to know your opinion on him since the start of the season." With that in mind, now read Mike8's post again. I just happen to think that Mike8 articulated my thoughts on Hossa quite nicely, thank you very much.
I answered that because Mike8 said in his second post "I should just paste it to everyone whining about Hossa", which I assumed was the reason you pasted it, to shut me and the other critics up, which is why I said it didn't do it.

Sorry.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:18 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:

I notice that he don't shot enough on goal

Old
11-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
He's nothing fancy but I can't complain. He has so much talent plus he's one of our big forwards so we should keep him on the top 2 lines. He's only 21 or 22 years old, so all you Hossa bashers out there give the kid a break!

THANK YOU

Old
11-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Destroyed the argument of him carrying the puck? What argument? I've stated numerous times that I feel he's severely lacking in his confidence and puck handling capabilities right now. I haven't seen anyone argue the contrary.

Next Hab game I'll be more than happy to take note of every instance that Hossa wins a battle along the boards, drives the net with authority, runs a pick play to open up room for his linemates, makes a strong defensive play or helps win a faceoff. I'll note the time of the period. You tape the game, I'll include it in my post-game notes. Deal?

And in response to your follow-up post on this, I didn't say people were whining about Hossa, nor did I want anyone to shut up. Everyone's free to their opinions. I just feel a lot of people have a misconception about Hossa's play this season because they focus on him with the puck, rather than his play without the puck -- which is arguably more important.

EDIT: fixed quote

Old
11-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I just feel a lot of people have a misconception about Hossa's play this season because they focus on him with the puck, rather than his play without the puck -- which is arguably more important.
I think it is that, his play with the puck, but I honestly and sadly think that it has a lot to do with Ribeiro as well. People seem to love Ribeiro around here because he will do a fancy move once or twice a game, EVEN IF IT ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING, but they will miss who is creating the space, the time, and the defensive coverage. The fact is many people like "flash," something Marcel doesn't do, at least not yet. I think people are almost blinded by it.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:26 PM
AzNDrAgOn

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by komisakick ass
I notice that he don't shot enough on goal
From what I've seen in the few games he played with Koivu last year, Hossa does have a good shot. I also noticed he doesn't use it a lot. Sometimes, I see him try to pass the puck instead of shooting while he could of had a good shot on goal from his position. I think it's just a problem of confidence. Maybe he has too much respect towards other veterans and always try to pass instead of shoting to make them happy.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:29 PM
KnuklZ

Hossa does all the work on that line allowing Z and Ribs to shine. If it wasnt for Hossa winning the pucks along the boards and backchecking this line would be very ineffective and their +- would suck. I have been watching all the games and have been following Hossas play very closely and to say that he just has no heart is beyond me (comparing him to Perrault must be a bad joke right??). IMO Hossa is probably one of the hardest working players on this MTL team.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNDrAgOn
From what I've seen in the few games he played with Koivu last year, Hossa does have a good shot. I also noticed he doesn't use it a lot. Sometimes, I see him try to pass the puck instead of shooting while he could of had a good shot on goal from his position. I think it's just a problem of confidence. Maybe he has too much respect towards other veterans and always try to pass instead of shoting to make them happy.
That was exactly what I think but can't express it in english.
And this respected veteran, he don't do anything so Marcel can shot for the moment.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Capitano

He looks to pass before he shoots because he's a natural centre. I would put this kid at centre and put Perreault on the wing. Marcel is an unselfish player and right now he's learning a whole new position. It's funny, Montreal has this kid who we drafted in the first round. He was a centre his whole career. He has produced. He comes to Montreal and what do we do? We try to make him into a winger. Awful. Anywhere Hossa has been, he has had a good winger that helped him out. He played with Gaborik during his childhood, then he had Balej in junior. Put him at centre and watch what happens.

Cap

Old
11-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Next Hab game I'll be more than happy to take note of every instance that Hossa wins a battle along the boards, drives the net with authority, runs a pick play to open up room for his linemates, makes a strong defensive play or helps win a faceoff. I'll note the time of the period. You tape the game, I'll include it in my post-game notes. Deal?
Alright, deal.. lol
But honestly all I'd like is Hossa himself proving he can do what I'm saying he can't, and starts doing it OFTEN.

Closed Thread