HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Pad Question

Old
04-30-2006, 09:27 PM
CaptBrannigan

vCash: 500
Goalie Pad Question

I'm new to playing goalie, and I've got a question for you experienced ones. What's the best way to tie the shoelaces at the front? I know they go under your skate but I was just wondering if there was a method out there that works better than others. Thanks.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 12:12 AM
bruins0506

i'd second that question.

bruins0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I hope this helps:

http://www.vaughnhockey.com/goaltend...tie-on-toe.htm

Hedberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
CaptBrannigan

Thanks a lot Hedberg. That explains it a lot better than just words probably could.

Old
05-09-2006, 07:26 PM
CaptBrannigan

I have another general goaltending question, this time about those tie-on neckguards. What's the proper fit for them? Mine touches the chin of my mask, I'm wondering if it should ride completely below the mask. Also, I have visibility problems when looking down with it on. Example, I dropped down and made a save but had trouble spotting the puck sitting in front of my pad. Just something to get used to, or is it related to how I wear it?

Old
05-10-2006, 06:09 AM
RedK

The top of the dangler should slightly overlap the bottom of your mask. Depending on how long your neck is, you adjust the overlap so that the dangler covers your neck. The easiest way to do it is to loosely tie it on to the sides. Put on your chest and arm protector (C/A) and your mask, and get into your stance in front of a mirror. This will show you how much of your neck is exposed between the bottom of the mask and the top of the C/A. Adjust the center tie until you have the depth right. Then adjust the side ties. Tie off the strings in a strong knot and trim them if you wish.

Everyone has visibility problems looking down. Is your problem that you can't see past your C/A? Many goalies wear suspenders over the C/A, tuck it into their pants, or use a belt to tie it flat around the waist to help keep it close to the body and improve visibility. If your problem is seeing through the dangler when it gets steamed up, coat it inside and out with liquid dishsoap, then wipe it off with a paper towel. This will reduce condensation and help make it easier to see.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
sc37

vCash: 450
Make sure the dangler isn't too loosely tied. Having it flopping around might leave your neck uncovered.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
CaptBrannigan

Thanks guys. It is fit right, I guess I just need to adjust to it. It's funny because I thought I'd have problems seeing through the mask but I haven't had that at all.