HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maximize your return: Package Zednik and Bulis - that's right UFA-to-be Bulis

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Pere Noel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
It would be meaningless. The other team wouldn't even have a headstart if Bulis didn't like the team. Even if he did, he'd wait to see if he received better offers. Therefore, no one would give even a ninth round pick for the temporary rights to Bulis until July 1. The same applies to UFAs temporarily placed with Montréal.
So how do you explain that some teams are indeed currently signing their own UFAs.

Bulis doesn't want to sign because of Montreal, but because he is looking for a place where he can play on the second line (at least) as an offensive player. And it sounds like a big bonus for him, would be to play with his buddy Zednik.

As far as I am concern, I am not looking for a ninth round pick, but the value for Zednik plus a little more.

Old
05-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion
Lets wait to see where Bulis signs, and get him back by giving that team Zednik
Oh. That's evil

Old
05-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Habs13

...theres only seven draft rounds now

Old
05-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
...theres only seven draft rounds now
Yeah, I was lazy to verify that other guy's information.

I knew there were less rounds... which actually is a bit sad. Or maybe not, does that mean more unrestricted junior players?

Old
05-09-2006, 03:44 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
In the new CBA , teams aren't getting compensatory picks for losing UFA's . Correct me if im wrong . I think it would be a good idea to package both of them . Bulis/Zednik/D for Derek Morris
I believe you are right.

It used to be, that losing an important UFA would fetch you a good pick.

For instance, I believe that when the Oilers lost Nedved, they got a second round pick...

So indeed, what would often happen, is like the NYR did, they traded Nedved to Edmonton and got a second round pick from the Oilers, most likely based on the fact that Oilers would get one back anyway, were they to lose Nedved to UFA. The Rangers would get some extra peanuts as a thank you note from the Oilers.

The Rangers got rid of the salary, got the 2nd round pick, and some extra peanuts.
The Oilers got Nedved and almost made the playoffs because of him. They got a 2nd round pick as a compensatory one after losing him to free agency.

In some ways, that compensatory pick business triggered many sort of unfair transactions like that...

Old
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel
So how do you explain that some teams are indeed currently signing their own UFAs.

Bulis doesn't want to sign because of Montreal, but because he is looking for a place where he can play on the second line (at least) as an offensive player. And it sounds like a big bonus for him, would be to play with his buddy Zednik.

As far as I am concern, I am not looking for a ninth round pick, but the value for Zednik plus a little more.
Personally, I think talk of playing with Zednik is just that, talk. Basically, he's saying, yeah Zed's my friend, it's been nice but it's time to move on. I believe he'll go wherever someone pays him and projects him on a scoring line. Chances are, a team with a ways to go but plenty of cap room, like St.Louis as an example may take him to buy some time while some young guys develop. This wouldn't happen, but if Ganey told him he'd had a change of heart and he could see him playing with Kovy for the next 3 years, he'd be back if the $ was right. He'll make new friends. I couldn't imagine that acquiring Bullis' exclusive negotiating rights would make any GM even call Gainey back.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Personally, I think talk of playing with Zednik is just that, talk. Basically, he's saying, yeah Zed's my friend, it's been nice but it's time to move on. I believe he'll go wherever someone pays him and projects him on a scoring line. Chances are, a team with a ways to go but plenty of cap room, like St.Louis as an example may take him to buy some time while some young guys develop. This wouldn't happen, but if Ganey told him he'd had a change of heart and he could see him playing with Kovy for the next 3 years, he'd be back if the $ was right. He'll make new friends. I couldn't imagine that acquiring Bullis' exclusive negotiating rights would make any GM even call Gainey back.
Pretty much agree with all you said. And of course, I don't think a GM would call back Gainey solely to get negotiationg rights for Bulis.

What I suggested is to trade Zednik, and in course of the negotation, throw those rights (Bulis) in order to maybe close the deal closer to what we want. It is also nice to have a more defined roster at draft time. You know if you can trade for, or trade a pick...

Old
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
LeMAD

In a trade:

Zednik + Bulis + Ribeiro + Rivet + Souray + Sundstrum = 3rd round draft pick

Edit: Yes, I know, in Nhl 2006 you can get Kovalchuk for them....

Old
05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
I take it you don't remember Kariya / Selanne signing with Colorado?

Seriously, I don't want to be rude but are you stupid? (who makes these types of comments anyways? They obviously are rude.)
or roberts and nieuwendyk

Old
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e
or roberts and nieuwendyk
You are right.

Technically, you also have Niedermayer who wanted to play with his brother.

There were the Bure brothers too... though in their case, I think it really was about the money or the florida girls or something like that, than them really wanted to be together.

Actually... there are quite a few cases like that...

Old
05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
MXD

What's Zednik salary?

Old
05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD
What's Zednik salary?
1.824 Millions

Relatively affordable. More so if he scores close to 30 goals.

I believe this is, is last year of salary. Anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Form and Substance

Zed is only 30. He had an off-year just like anyone else does. At 1.8 million, and provided he can still score 25-30 goals, I say keep him.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Zed is only 30. He had an off-year just like anyone else does. At 1.8 million, and provided he can still score 25-30 goals, I say keep him.
That's 3 off years in a row if i'm not mistaken...

Old
05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD
That's 3 off years in a row if i'm not mistaken...
2001-02 MON 82 22 22 44
2002-03 MON 80 31 19 50
2003-04 MON 81 26 24 50
2005-06 MON 67 16 14 30

In all fairness to Zednik, he did miss many games this season, which may be one of the contributing factor for his struggle... I am not saying that the only factor, but it certainly didn't help. Who knows, didn't he have a kid this year? Maybe that got to tire him out... He also played in the Olympics... we all know it can slow down a guy too.

He missed quite a few games at the beginnning of the season and it is tough to catch up with other players at the beginning of a season.

Yet, while he had an off year, his 16 goals in 67, is close to 20 goals in 82.

Looking at his recent year production... I think it is fair to portray him as a 25 goal scorer.

Heck, with his upcoming free agency coming (again, correct me if I am wrong)... He should have a good year.

I was giving additional thoughts in regards to trading Zednik... We could indeed wait to see where Bulis signs... hopefully in a team that could use Zednik down the road... and have Bulis brag to his new team owners about how really good his Zednik buddy his... and meanwhile Zednik giving 100% in order to get his next UFA contract... his value will raise. Again, that same team is more likely to sign him, since he might want to stay with his buddy.

Closed Thread