HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

REALISTIC Free Agent Acquisitions

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Does anyone out there really believe that letting Bulis walk and replacing him with Marc Chouinard, Manny Maholtra--or Kostitsyn for that matter--in any way represents an improvement? While players of this stature have a role to play, the Habs shortcomings go a little deeper than that. They have to score more goals.

Clearly, Gainey is going to do more to upgrade the talent level on the team or it stands an excellent chance of not making the playoffs next year. There aren't a whole lot of interesting UFAs at the forward postion which is where the Habs need help the most. I, unlike other posters, do not see tons of young talent in the organization ready to fill the breach. Kostitsyn...maybe, maybe not. Chipchura, Latendresse, L'il Kostitsyn et al...talk to me in a year's time. Let's face it--the pickings are thin at best.

To bring in a QUALITY forward, Gainey will likely have to trade quality. Nobody wants a package of castoffs for a star player. Think about what the Habs have to offer that another team may actually be interested in. Desirable forwards include Ryder, Higgins and Perezhogin. But the forward postition is what we need to strengthen. We need to add a sniper not subtract one.

At the goalie position, Huet is not tradeable. Not only is he himself a UFA but we need him to play nets. Aebby could be a throw-in--he is certainly not a major trading chip by himself. That leaves defence--where our two most coveted assets are Markov or Komisarek.

If we want to bring in a FRONTLINE forward one of two must go in return. I've suggested Komi because I can't really see the Habs offence being helped by subtracting Markov. And because Kubina is an excellent replacement who can be acquire as a UFA.

Gainey has to do something bold in the off-season or the Canadiens may find themselves on the sidelines come next spring.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:08 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
. I've suggested Komi because I can't really see the Habs offence being helped by subtracting Markov.
So BG's only options are trade Komi or Markov? That's what doesn't make sense you are stuck with your idea and can't think out of the box.

Also to improve the team you ideally try to trade assets not contributing to the team at the moment and add players who will contribute.

Do you think keeping both Komi and Markov and sign Kubina makes us that much better? I think so.

I don't think you get where I'm going with this since you keep repeating this team is crap and none of our prospects are worth anything. If they are not worth playing on this team they won't get you your superstar in a trade either.

I'm not sure we need a sniper exclusively either but that may be another debate. I think you want a big name player wether it improves the team or not just because you can't wait. Guess what? Last time BG did that in Dallas it cost him his job.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Does anyone out there really believe that letting Bulis walk and replacing him with Marc Chouinard, Manny Maholtra--or Kostitsyn for that matter--in any way represents an improvement? While players of this stature have a role to play, the Habs shortcomings go a little deeper than that. They have to score more goals.

Clearly, Gainey is going to do more to upgrade the talent level on the team or it stands an excellent chance of not making the playoffs next year. There aren't a whole lot of interesting UFAs at the forward postion which is where the Habs need help the most. I, unlike other posters, do not see tons of young talent in the organization ready to fill the breach. Kostitsyn...maybe, maybe not. Chipchura, Latendresse, L'il Kostitsyn et al...talk to me in a year's time. Let's face it--the pickings are thin at best.

To bring in a QUALITY forward, Gainey will likely have to trade quality. Nobody wants a package of castoffs for a star player. Think about what the Habs have to offer that another team may actually be interested in. Desirable forwards include Ryder, Higgins and Perezhogin. But the forward postition is what we need to strengthen. We need to add a sniper not subtract one.

At the goalie position, Huet is not tradeable. Not only is he himself a UFA but we need him to play nets. Aebby could be a throw-in--he is certainly not a major trading chip by himself. That leaves defence--where our two most coveted assets are Markov or Komisarek.

If we want to bring in a FRONTLINE forward one of two must go in return. I've suggested Komi because I can't really see the Habs offence being helped by subtracting Markov. And because Kubina is an excellent replacement who can be acquire as a UFA.

Gainey has to do something bold in the off-season or the Canadiens may find themselves on the sidelines come next spring.
Isn't trading Aebischer an option? Zednik? Ribeiro? A draft pick? A package? Or, alternatively, signing a free agent? I resist your choice of Komisarek as a sacrificial lamb because he is big, young, improving, and a fan favorite. He complements Markov with his physical play. Capable GMs usually try to hold on to this type of player. Get Kubina? How long would he stay in Montréal? And if Kubina bombed after Komisarek was traded for a forward, the fans would make his days in the Bell Centre sheer torture.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
I am sure Gainey has a bigger plan.

Gainey has been telling all of us, the media and such that Bulis wanted to play offensively on a second line or such... and it's like he is saying that he doesn't plan to resign him anyway. Benching him a few times, sort of confirms that he doesn't plan to keep him around.

Therefore, it sounds like either Gainey has someone in mind on that second line, let it be a rookie or some free agent, or a transaction that has a high probability of coming.... or that he has someone in mind to take that defensive forward position that Bulis no longer wanted.

Just for the sake of the discussion, maybe Gainey thinks something like: "I know that I can get Bertuzzi down the line for my first lines or I will play one of my rookies such as Latendresse" ... I am not saying I want Bertuzzi, but I am just giving this as an example... if he were to think like that... I understand why he would not bother resigning Bulis... as Bertuzzi can do much more on those lines than Bulis... or it is a much better investment to develop a guy like Latendresse, in that offensive role, than a 28 year old guy that scored 20 goals for the first time in his career and matched his career high of 40 points

Last edited by Pere Noel: 05-09-2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: missing word
Old
05-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

With respect to Chouinard/Malhotra, the idea isn't to upgrade Bulis the "I want to be an offensive player". I agree that the team also needs another scorer, and it's not obvious that there's a solution from within. But that shouldn't stop Gainey from looking to improve other areas in the meantime.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:28 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I'd rather roll the dice on Marc Savard who is not big but would nonetheless be a major upgrade on Ribiero who could then be packaged for help on the wing. French-speaking, he will be an asset in marketing the team. Sign him...unless he's asking for 5 million or more.
Marc Savard speaks french?

Old
05-09-2006, 11:32 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Indeed it would. Scoring those 26-goals are even more of an accomplishment given the fact that Savard had to play with leeches like Kovalchuk and Hossa, who only served to slow him down.
I gotta ask... have you ever seen Marian Hossa play hockey?

Old
05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Mike8

I'll only forgive you if english isn't your first language.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Marc Savard speaks french?
Can Speak it, but won't speak it.

Closed Thread