HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Extensive Flyers FA wish list by position

Old
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Even if you buy him out, the contract still counts against the cap. That grace period was a one time deal.
oh ok that makes sense. Wont be worth it to take that kind of hit for nothing.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
I am still very hesitant to trade Handzus. If he gets traded, we cant rely on Primeau to stay healthy, who is our shut down guy? Richards will end up being put in a shut down role and I think he is better then that.

If we get Redden out of the deal I cant really argue but I hate to see him go.

If we get Redden, can we afford anyone else? This guy will command between 7 and 9 million (whatever the new limit is). That would handicap the team severely. Plus, I don't think getting one defensman, albeit a great one will suddenly make this team great overnight.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:15 AM
GlueleG

I can see the Flyers picking up Brian Leetch.

GlueleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 11:08 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If we don't land Redden, I don't know if the Flyers will go after another defenseman. They might take a look at a forward because of the Forsberg situation. Nobody knows what is going on with Primeau, but if he can't go, I'm thinking that Clarke will address the voids on forward.

I also think we're going to see some turnover in the sense that guys like Kapanen and Stevenson will probably be gone. We already know that the team will say goodbye to Brashear and Savage, but I think that's just a start at the forward position. It wouldn't surprise me if they try dumping Nedved as well. That's five positions up for grabs, plus whatever defenders might be sent walking.

I'm predicting another wild offseason in Philadelphia. If we don't sign Redden, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Bobby antes up and does try to land Elias and Arnott

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Jester

i'll be shocked if they don't let Stevenson walk away after how his season went... clearly didn't have a spot. i'm curious what is going to happen with Kapanen... the fact that we haven't heard anything about him is interesting. i would have expected to hear some rumors concerning him already.

Clarke saying that they would "talk to" Hatcher is interesting... clearly something is going to happen on the defensive side of the team. it also sounds like they are going to sign KJ based on the most recent quotes from Clarke... may be a coup if they can get him for relatively cheap on a two-year deal after this last season.

if we're going to get Redden we're going to have to be very aggressive very quick... we can't wait around on him. i'm betting that the only way to get Redden is to sign him before Chara signs... so, while the sharks are circling Chara, pull him out of there...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i'll be shocked if they don't let Stevenson walk away after how his season went... clearly didn't have a spot. i'm curious what is going to happen with Kapanen... the fact that we haven't heard anything about him is interesting. i would have expected to hear some rumors concerning him already.

Clarke saying that they would "talk to" Hatcher is interesting... clearly something is going to happen on the defensive side of the team. it also sounds like they are going to sign KJ based on the most recent quotes from Clarke... may be a coup if they can get him for relatively cheap on a two-year deal after this last season.

if we're going to get Redden we're going to have to be very aggressive very quick... we can't wait around on him. i'm betting that the only way to get Redden is to sign him before Chara signs... so, while the sharks are circling Chara, pull him out of there...

I agree. The minute that FA starts Clarke needs to have that offer on the table. But you got to figure that several other teams are thinking the same way so IF we land him we will be very fortunate.
I would love to get Samsonov. he would fill a immediate need at a scoring winger on the 2nd line and would give this team more quickness. It might be tough to get him out of Edmonton if the reports are true he loves it there but he would be a cheaper alternative to Elias.
I dont think we can get Osgood if Esche is in fact not brought back. He probably thinks he is a #1 somewhere and may not be interested in being a mentor to a young goalie like Frank. I think Roloson might be a option and given his age I think he might be the answer, even thou he too will be sought after.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, if there's an offseason plan in place, I'm hoping the Flyers make an offer and sign Redden almost immediately. If we can't get Redden, Pavel Kubina would be a great fit and would cost much less. Does anyone also know if Filip Kuba is a free agent? He'd also help add to the mobility of our D core. From there, we package Esche in a trade to Tampa Bay for either Fedotenko or Prospal (I'd prefer Prospal) and picks. Place Prospal on a line with Umberger and Carter. Then, we take a look at moving up in the draft. Maybe our first, 2 seconds, and Handzus for a pick in the top 15 and a prospect. I know people will be up in arms over moving Handzus, but he's really our only tradeable asset right now. Maybe we can get a team like Florida or Los Angeles to bite on a deal involving Handzus. As for veteran back up, we wait for Toronto to buy out Belfour and we reunite him and Hitch for one more kick at the can. I think Eddie would be great mentor for Niittymaki and Eddie's work ethic would be a positive that could rub other players on the team (cough cough Nedved cough cough) to pick up their backsides and start working harder.

Old
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Well, if there's an offseason plan in place, I'm hoping the Flyers make an offer and sign Redden almost immediately. If we can't get Redden, Pavel Kubina would be a great fit and would cost much less. Does anyone also know if Filip Kuba is a free agent? He'd also help add to the mobility of our D core. From there, we package Esche in a trade to Tampa Bay for either Fedotenko or Prospal (I'd prefer Prospal) and picks. Place Prospal on a line with Umberger and Carter. Then, we take a look at moving up in the draft. Maybe our first, 2 seconds, and Handzus for a pick in the top 15 and a prospect. I know people will be up in arms over moving Handzus, but he's really our only tradeable asset right now. Maybe we can get a team like Florida or Los Angeles to bite on a deal involving Handzus. As for veteran back up, we wait for Toronto to buy out Belfour and we reunite him and Hitch for one more kick at the can. I think Eddie would be great mentor for Niittymaki and Eddie's work ethic would be a positive that could rub other players on the team (cough cough Nedved cough cough) to pick up their backsides and start working harder.

I don't like these ideas. Get a top defenseman, yes. Use the cap space to get a legit top 6 winger, instead of trading away assets. Esche can go for a prospect or pick. DO NOT deal Handzus, since we will be without Forsberg until Christmas at least. DO NOT sign Belfour. He is way past his expiration date, and he will still command too much money. Also, idiots will be complaining for him to start if Nitty hits any rough patches.

Sign Redden and a good winger, or Kubina/Kaberle/Spacek and a top winger. Ship Esche out and get an Osgood or Burke for the clear #2 slot. I say jettison Johnsson, too. We should be avoiding the chronic injuries. We will be shedding lots of salary, so there is no point making multiple deals.

Last edited by mercury: 05-11-2006 at 03:36 PM.
mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I don't like these ideas. Get a top defenseman, yes. Use the cap space to get a legit top 6 winger, instead of trading away assets. Esche can go for a prospect or pick. DO NOT deal Handzus, since we will be without Forsberg until Christmas at least. DO NOT sign Belfour. He is way past his expiration date, and he will still command too much money. Also, idiots will be complaining for him to start if Nitty hits any rough patches.

Sign Redden and a good winger, or Kubina/Kaberle/Spacek and a top winger. Ship Esche out and get an Osgood or Burke for the clear #2 slot. I say jettison Johnsson, too. We should be avoiding the chronic injuries. We will be shedding lots of salary, so there is no point making multiple deals.
We need a winger for the Carter and Umberger line. I'm sorry, and I'm probably the minority on here, but Niko is not a 2nd line winger. Far, far, far, far, far from it. He's good number 3 or 4 winger, but he is nowhere near a number 2. If Esche can land us Prospal, then I'd be all over it.

As for Handzus, I have no qualms if the Flyers were to deal him. Fact is that we'd get a very good return on Handzus. Yes, he brings a lot to the table, but we have players who are just as capable as playing the same hockey that Handzus does. The Buffalo series also showed that he can't keep up to the speed game and as much as I like Handzus, that's all the more reason to look at dealing him. As well, everyone talks about his defense, but out of all the forwards who log big ice time in Philadelphia, he was a minus player. If a package of Handzus and draft picks helps us move up in the draft, then I'm all for it. If a package of Handzus and draft picks helps us land a center who can be a shutdown guy, then I'm all for it. If the move is made just for the sake of making a move, then it's a bad idea.

As for Belfour, the man isn't done. Yeah, he had a bad season in Toronto, but they said that four years ago as well when he finished his run in Dallas. Fact of the matter is that the man is like the Rod Brind'Amour of goaltenders in that he keeps himself in phenomenal shape. He comes to a situation like Philadelphia where he isn't expected to lead, but to teach, and I think he becomes very successful here. Who better for Niittymaki to learn from than Belfour. I want no part of Sean Burke. He sucks donkey testicles. We need a backup who can help support our number 1 guy and win a game when called upon. Belfour is that guy. Burke isn't. Neither is Osgood for that matter. Christ, I'd rather go with Patrick Lalime than Burke or Osgood.

Old
05-11-2006, 04:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
if we trade handzus and primeau ends up getting hurt again or retireing we can kiss most of richards' offensive potential goodbye. hed be sent into the shutdown role too early.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
if we trade handzus and primeau ends up getting hurt again or retireing we can kiss most of richards' offensive potential goodbye. hed be sent into the shutdown role too early.
Nah, I don't think Hitch would use him in the shutdown role. I think that position would go to Umberger. He did it with the Phantoms during their Calder Cup run and he was fantastic.

If by chance Primeau doesn't come back and if we deal Handzus, I'm sure the Flyers would take a look at a guy like Peca to come in and be the shut down guy. And I don't think it would take a lot to get Peca to sign. He's not a four million dollar a year guy. You could probably get him at 2 to 2.5. Add to it that he's a better skater and probably more tenacious and ferocious than Handzus and he would be an ideal fit here. Maybe Peca would help our attrocious penalty kill by bringing some much needed aggression to it.

Old
05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
mercury

Quote:
Nah, I don't think Hitch would use him in the shutdown role. I think that position would go to Umberger. He did it with the Phantoms during their Calder Cup run and he was fantastic.

If by chance Primeau doesn't come back and if we deal Handzus, I'm sure the Flyers would take a look at a guy like Peca to come in and be the shut down guy. And I don't think it would take a lot to get Peca to sign. He's not a four million dollar a year guy. You could probably get him at 2 to 2.5. Add to it that he's a better skater and probably more tenacious and ferocious than Handzus and he would be an ideal fit here. Maybe Peca would help our attrocious penalty kill by bringing some much needed aggression to it.
I think Peca would still demand $3 million or so, and it's silly to trade Handzus at $2.128 million for a more expensive Peca. He has playing with one arm for a while now. He'll recover. Dimitrakos is NOT a 2nd line winger, and I agree with need a RW for Umberger and Carter. I said as much. However, I'd rather sign someone with our extra money, because we are definitely NOT in cap trouble. Actually, if Johnsson and Desjardins are both gone, I think we should get two d-men, and the RW.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Umberger is playing on the wing with Carter, I dont think they are going to break up that combo. If you do, we really have no one to play with Carter unless we land a big FA.

WIP is reporting that inside sources say the Flyers are going to go hard after Redden. It was reported by Glen Macnow who usually knows what he is talking about so we will see. I think the following looks pretty nice

Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Umb Carter FA
Handzus Richards Rado (or someone to upgrade this line if possible)
Eager Primeau Kapanen (I think Kap will stay in a lesser role back with Primeau)

Pitkanen Rathje
Hatcher Redden
Gautheir Meyer

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I think Peca would still demand $3 million or so, and it's silly to trade Handzus at $2.128 million for a more expensive Peca. He has playing with one arm for a while now. He'll recover. Dimitrakos is NOT a 2nd line winger, and I agree with need a RW for Umberger and Carter. I said as much. However, I'd rather sign someone with our extra money, because we are definitely NOT in cap trouble. Actually, if Johnsson and Desjardins are both gone, I think we should get two d-men, and the RW.
Yes. I think we lose Brashear, Savage, Nedved, Stevenson, Desjardins, Johnsson and one of the Rathje/Hatcher combo if possible

Sign an impact RW for Carter/Umberger or a center to play with Gagne and put Forsberg with Carter and Umberger when he comes back.
Sign either Redden, or two mid level dmen
Trade Esche in package to TB for Fedotenko.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote