HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vielle Nieminen Big Game 1 out in SJ

Old
05-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Vielle Nieminen Big Game 1 out in SJ

Guy had a pretty impressive game last night. 15 hits...hustle hustle hustle...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot
Guy had a pretty impressive game last night. 15 hits...hustle hustle hustle...

Wish we had a player like that, oh wait we did But we had to deal him for a pick to get Ozo Bozo the drunk.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I always liked Vielle

I'm also in the minority of people who want to see Ozo back next year...I want him to find the blessing of getting his life back in order and kick his demons and than Kick some *** on the ice.

The guy is so talented I hope he can do it. I wish both these guys good success in their battles to be the best they can be.

Old
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot
I always liked Vielle

I'm also in the minority of people who want to see Ozo back next year...I want him to find the blessing of getting his life back in order and kick his demons and than Kick some *** on the ice.

The guy is so talented I hope he can do it. I wish both these guys good success in their battles to be the best they can be.

If Ozo was so great, there must be a reason he has been on alot of different teams..

Old
05-08-2006, 02:23 PM
ivrydov

Yes Ozo was a premier defenceman, nominated for the Norris Trophy at San Jose, won a Stanley Cups at Colorado, and was part of the stingy defence that took Anaheim to the finals. But athletes lose it and some know when to quit and some don't. If he's still got it, then he can contribute a lot;if not, say good-bye.

San Jose had 44 hits, with Ville leading the way with 15, and a number of these were hard slams on Pronger. Dumping him was stupid if the Rangers even then were serious about the playoffs, it was even worse than giving up Garth Murray, who filled a similar role with the Habs, for absolutely nothing.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Fletch

It's not often...

that a forward gets a third star without a point.

15 hits is pretty amazing. If he was doing that, while not marching to the penalty box while a Ranger, he may've finished the season here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that a forward gets a third star without a point.

15 hits is pretty amazing. If he was doing that, while not marching to the penalty box while a Ranger, he may've finished the season here.
Ville played pretty uninspired as a Ranger in my opinion.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Fletch

I wouldn't say uninspired...

he started the season aggressive, went to the box a lot early, and played tentative for much of the way as a result - while still heading to the box. He had a tough time adjusting to the new rules - and I wouldn't say he was dogging it out there at all.

Old
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
he wasn't the dynamic player he was in Calgary or is now in San Jose. he seemed to be going at half speed most of the time, and I think that most of his penalties were more lazy than aggresive.

he was a huge disappointment for me.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Doyle

I kinda think hes more of a Western Conf kinda guy, having said that I was dissapointed that we dumped him...

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
If Ozo was so great, there must be a reason he has been on alot of different teams..
How many teams has Ville been on?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
streen1000

Send a message via MSN to streen1000
Colorado, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Calgary, NYR, San Jose

6!

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
How many teams has Ville been on?

Ville been on Avs, Pens, Flames, Hawks, Rangers, Sharks. Ozo been on Sharks, Avs, Canes, Panthers, Ducks, Rangers. 6 teams for each but Ozo has played in a few all star games.

Old
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Ville been on Avs, Pens, Flames, Hawks, Rangers, Sharks. Ozo been on Sharks, Avs, Canes, Panthers, Ducks, Rangers. 6 teams for each but Ozo has played in a few all star games.
If Ville is so great,there must be a reason he has been on alot of different teams

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Fletch

What is a western kind of guy?

I personally do not buy into the whole wide-open west anymore. It's a physical conference with decent defenders and defensive-style teams.

Old
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

He def showed up last night... He threw a few really good ones, i was shcoked to see him out there double shifted to end the game, considering he was never used in that role with the Rangers. Kinda weird how a player is used differently team to team. But then again he didnt show what he showed last night with the Rangers. Why not VILLE!!!!??

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I don't see what Nieminen would have added to this squad in the playoffs that Hollweg didn't. The bottom 6 wasn't the problem. It was the D and the top 6.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
He'd have added "Noozolinsh" to the team. Little known, but very valuable and effective player. In the end though it doesn't make any difference to the final result because the Rangers couldn't score anyway.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Fletch

Kodiak...

it's not really what he would've added instead of Hollweg, but what he could've provided in addition to Hollweg, especially after Ward went down. Hossa did pretty well, but would the Rangers have been better off with a guy like Niemo (considering Hossa did generate zero points). Obviously it would not have changed the outcome, but one could make an argument that he may've been a decent fit to play on Betts' left side.

Old
05-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:20 PM
eco's bones

Nieminen's play was subpar at least half the time here. He was sat several times. He never really found his niche. FWIW there was logic to the deal that brought Ozo here--it just didn't work out either. We tried to pick up a pwp qb on the the cheap maybe underestimating how well he would fit in or maybe Ozo's game is just declining--he's been around for a while. Whatever the reason I'm pretty sure the way other things went that even if that deal hadn't been made we'd had been knocked out pretty easily anyway with losing Jagr and Ward and with Kaspar, Lundqvist, Prucha, Rucinsky and Rucchin as banged up as they were.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I liked Ville while he was here, but as the season wore on it was apparent that he didn't really bring anything we didn't already have. We had Hollweg, Orts, Moore, Ward and Bets who played pretty similar to him, at least Orts and Hollweg, and he wasn't really skilled enough to be an offensive threat. However, after looking back at how Ozo self destructed and played some of the worst professional hockey I have ever seen, I take Ville over Ozo anyway.
Oh yeah, I'm also one in the majority who want absolutely nothing to do with Ozo, I wan't him gone.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Janerixon

look niemmen became expendable because hollweg was doing what niemmen could not do here on a regular basis, play every shift, throw his body around, and be smart in the defensive zone and avoid penalties

niemmen took far too many penalties and was very lazy at times here, hollweg was the reason he was moved

i wont say that niemmen wasnt motivated because i dont know that, but he became expendable when hollweg began to do his job and not take bad penalties

i wish niemmen well, i liked him and wanted us to sign him, but him being dealt (essentially for ozo) is hindsight, which is always 20/20

slats always makes a good deal followed by a bad one, this year it was drats for sykora followed by niemmen for ozo (even though it was niemo for a pick and the pick for ozo)

hes due for a good trade so his next one should be a good one

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
6 teams for each but Ozo has played in a few all star games.

Seven Time All Star.

He deserves a chance to to turn it around...obviously his stint in rehab this year didn't cut it...but many people fail at sobriety before they turn it all around.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:51 AM
WheresBarnaby

It's the way it goes, teams need alot of different elements to work right. Sometimes players go on to do very well elsewhere, but I'd rather have a ex-Ranger do very well somewhere else, than drag the team down. Niems wasn't working here, so I'm not missing him any.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote