HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT : Ottawa vs Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
OT : Ottawa vs Buffalo

Anyone watching the game ?

Connolly just got Stevensed.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Live Forever

1-0 Buffalo...Great goal

Old
05-08-2006, 07:12 PM
LeHab

2-0...

Old
05-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Live Forever

2 - 0 Buffalo, another sweet goal. Dumont got the first goal this time Hecht got this on a breakaway. Really good hockey. Both teams are getting a ton of chances but wow, Buffalo has 2 shots this period and 2 goals to show for them.

Old
05-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Live Forever

Phillips pops one in for Ottawa

Old
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

2-0 Series lead for the Sabres

Old
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
The n00b King ©*

Buffalo wins the cup in 6 games vs. the Anaheim.

you heard it here first folks.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
HabuseMoi

weve heard everything somewhere on this board...

Old
05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Mike8

God, I'm going to be disappointed if Carolina and Buffalo make it out of this round.

My distaste for cinderella teams is at an all-time high. For once, I'd like a Finals that has two teams that have built their teams the right way, and have a chance at being consistently good.

The last time this happened in the Finals was awhile ago: Colorado vs NJ. Great Finals, and the last one I paid attention to much.

I miss the playoffs from back then, where we'd see St.Louis, Colorado, Dallas and Detroit consistently building their teams to out-do one another; San Jose consistently playing the upset-role and sometimes succeeding... then in the East, having NJ-Toronto battle it out.

Much better rivalries. Much better hockey.

But I think I'm in the minority on all this.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Shabutie

I really ****ing hate Carolina, but I have no problem with Buffalo beating Ottawa.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
deandebean

Choke. Choke.
Choke.
Choke.
Choke.
Choke.

Ottawa will have to pull out a Carolina. But it'll be tough: Ottawa doesn't have a backup solution for Ray/Theo.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I really ****ing hate Carolina, but I have no problem with Buffalo beating Ottawa.

New Jersey looks too comfortable out there. They're not hungry. Did you see them fight for the puck after they scored with 20 seconds left? They looked too comfortable.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
New Jersey looks too comfortable out there. They're not hungry. Did you see them fight for the puck after they scored with 20 seconds left? They looked too comfortable.
The worst part is that I have 6 guys from NJ in my pool... Anywho, I really can't stand Carolina. I hate every single one of their players (other than Cole).

Old
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
deandebean

Williams is easily becoming another rat. Did you see him look innocent on his last penalty? Nobody takes a run at him, which is a nonsense. I'd go after him and their ugly captain ASAP. It's the playoffs, man. Go hit and hurt. That's how it works. Go hit and hurt. There's no special formula here.

Why is it nobody hits Staal? I don't understand that. CArolina has no goons. Go after their stars galore. Man, Is Lamoriello sleeping?

Old
05-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Have we found our new center #1. Everybody in Ottawa wants to get rid of Alfredsson after tonight's game. Talk about a nice duo, Alfredsson/Koivu....

Old
05-08-2006, 09:58 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
God, I'm going to be disappointed if Carolina and Buffalo make it out of this round.
Bettman will just love the ratings for that one, won't he? Throw in a possible SJ - Ana tilt in the west and you can just hear the bars in Canada closing up shop...

Quote:
My distaste for cinderella teams is at an all-time high. For once, I'd like a Finals that has two teams that have built their teams the right way, and have a chance at being consistently good.
Better take another look at Buffalo's roster. They've only got one forward over the age of 30 (Grier, at 31). Ryan Miller's only 25. Teppo Numminen's the only grizzled veteran they've got at 36. That bunch could be contending for a while.

Carolina can't stay at the top for that long with that roster, though they won't fall out of playoff contention as long as they've got guys like Cole, Staal, and Ward.

Quote:
The last time this happened in the Finals was awhile ago: Colorado vs NJ. Great Finals, and the last one I paid attention to much.
I actually thought that one was overrated -- NJ slept through games 6 and 7, especially 7. NJ - Dallas was better. TB - Calgary was the best one since NYR - Van though.

Speaking of NJ sleeping, what the hell happened to them in the last 20 seconds? And why does Brodeur have such a poor record in playoff OT (career 9-19)?

Old
05-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Williams is easily becoming another rat. Did you see him look innocent on his last penalty? Nobody takes a run at him, which is a nonsense. I'd go after him and their ugly captain ASAP. It's the playoffs, man. Go hit and hurt. That's how it works. Go hit and hurt. There's no special formula here.

Why is it nobody hits Staal? I don't understand that. CArolina has no goons. Go after their stars galore. Man, Is Lamoriello sleeping?
The only team softer than Carolina in the league is NJ.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
blueandgold*

Quote:

I miss the playoffs from back then, where we'd see St.Louis, Colorado, Dallas and Detroit consistently building their teams to out-do one another; San Jose consistently playing the upset-role and sometimes succeeding... then in the East, having NJ-Toronto battle it out.

Much better rivalries. Much better hockey.

But I think I'm in the minority on all this.

Are you kidding?

Chance at contending? Building a team the right way?

*** are you even talking about....the Sabres are gonna own the east for years.... Miller is sweet, all our forwards are sweet and signed save a few, we've got loads of money to keep them, and we've got more waiting in the wings.....

But yeah, young, amazing sticks, and fast is a crappy way to build a team......

Old
05-08-2006, 10:06 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
The only team softer than Carolina in the league is NJ.
That's not true.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
TheRocket

Quote:

I canít keep up with your pace, man. I want to agree with you on one point, you write another post, I want to agree with you again, you write this post. LOL
Devils looked very slow, especially at the end of the third period. Lou did one major mistake. From what I understand after looking at the stats, he used only three lines. Thatís not enough. Benching Kozlov is not very smart decision either at this point. He does not play physical but neither does Carolina. If you donít plan to play physical donít use Jansen, Wiemer or similar type of players for 3-4 minutes, go with skilled guys.
On another note, I could not believe my eyes when I saw one my favorite players mailing it in along the boards. Madden is much better than that, donít know may be it was a fatigue factor, but it was the first game when I noticed Madden being so soft.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861

Better take another look at Buffalo's roster. They've only got one forward over the age of 30 (Grier, at 31). Ryan Miller's only 25. Teppo Numminen's the only grizzled veteran they've got at 36. That bunch could be contending for a while.
It's normally the younger teams that can't sustain it anyway. Carolina had a young-ish team back when they ran to the Cup only to be embarrassed. Calgary, Anaheim, Philly ('90s vs Detroit), Washington, TB ... all young teams.

Buffalo's been working on all cylinders all year. Great special teams, great speed, everyone having career years. But I just don't believe they're all that good. I didn't believe TB was all that good last year either. Nor Calgary, nor every team that goes from bottom-dweller to top-tier, overachieving club.

I'm happy for them that they've found a system that works. They're exciting and I'm fond of a lot of their individual players. But I'd rather see established, winning teams compete, establish rivalries, and try to out-do eachother in every move they make--like we saw with the Blues, Stars, Wings and Avs for a good solid 5-7 years.

If Buffalo's the exception--in that they can sustain themselves after coming out of nowhere--then I'm wrong and congratulations. But it's not Buffalo that I'm irritated with so much as the commonality of this cinderella phenomenon. Every year we get a new team(s) in the Finals and Conference Finals. It's boring. There's no hatred, character in the teams; not every move they make is geared towards beating their long-time rival.

Another topic since I'm already knee-deep in this tangent: I liked it when, on the trade deadline, Colorado would play mind-games. Act as if they don't have a deal, but everyone knew Lacroix would pull something out of his hat ... so Dallas, Detroit and St.Louis would get desperate and look to make a deal. They'd compete for the same players. Fun stuff.

Now we don't see that. We don't see those types of rivalries where well-run teams consistently go to the playoffs. And it's not the new CBA. I have no idea what it is. But I don't like it.

And yes, I do like the moves the CBA made to allow for disparity in the league... but I think there's a possible way to have disparity while allowing reward for well-run teams to make the playoffs. I think that's possible in the 'new' NHL, but it just isn't happening (and hasn't for a few years of the 'old' NHL either).

Quote:
I actually thought that one was overrated -- NJ slept through games 6 and 7, especially 7. NJ - Dallas was better. TB - Calgary was the best one since NYR - Van though.
It was on some levels. I thoroughly enjoyed the matchups and individual players in that series.

Quote:
Speaking of NJ sleeping, what the hell happened to them in the last 20 seconds? And why does Brodeur have such a poor record in playoff OT (career 9-19)?
It's strange. It's frustrating. I'm finding this round far more frustrating than seeing Montreal lose.

See, Montreal losing is OK. Had they gone too far, it would have been nice and all, but it would've been a cinderella team which can be detrimental longer term (overachieving players = larger contracts = skewed salary structure).

But now seeing cinderella teams having success again .... well, if it goes much further, I'm going on a few more tangents.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold
Are you kidding?

Chance at contending? Building a team the right way?

*** are you even talking about....the Sabres are gonna own the east for years.... Miller is sweet, all our forwards are sweet and signed save a few, we've got loads of money to keep them, and we've got more waiting in the wings.....

But yeah, young, amazing sticks, and fast is a crappy way to build a team......
Well, TB fans told me the same thing last year. You're free to come back in a year or two and tell me I'm completely and utterly foolish for not believing in the Sabres emergence as an elite club, destined to be a contender for the coming decade.

EDIT: And I know it's tough to hear some fan of a team that's not in the playoffs and whose team is not as good as the Sabres tell you about your team. That's not my intention. I was/am off on a tangent about cinderella clubs. You may very well be right about Buffalo being the exception; not being a cinderella club. I will wait until proven otherwise.

Don't let my posts on the Montreal forum rain on your deserved parade of Buffalo's success. I don't mean to take away (though I know it does) from Carolina, Calgary, TB, Buffalo, et al's success ... I just don't like this one-year-Cup-winner, next-year-lottery-choice direction that the NHL's seemingly going.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
That's not true.
Who do you feel is softer?

Old
05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
blueandgold*

Quote:
Well, TB fans told me the same thing last year. You're free to come back in a year or two and tell me I'm completely and utterly foolish for not believing in the Sabres emergence as an elite club, destined to be a contender for the coming decade.

TB got rid of their franchise goalie....

....oh, and TB still made it to the postseason.

I can guarantee you we're going to be good for year....

...we've got the best coach, and the best GM in the league.....

Old
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold
TB got rid of their franchise goalie....

....oh, and TB still made it to the postseason.

I can guarantee you we're going to be good for year....

...we've got the best coach, and the best GM in the league.....
Please read my editted comment on the last post.

Closed Thread