HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : Ottawa vs Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
TheRocket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
That's not true.
Unfortunately that is true. With the way Devils have played in this playoff you can tell that they donít like hitting game. I guess that is the result of their tactic: playing safe positional hockey. It could work against the Canes if Devils were very fast team or at least as fast as Canadiens.
Colorado and Devils are two softest teams in the playoffs right now.(imo)

Old
05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
blueandgold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Please read my editted comment on the last post.

I understand what you're saying....but its not like DET, COL, DAL, PHL, and others didn;t make the playoffs......

There is going to be a period of uncertainty in a changing of the guard scenario....and how often do teams win back to back in any sport anymore.....teams in every sport are more even than ever.....and as FA goes so goes the dynasty......

Old
05-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Mike8

You're absolutely right. Which is why I labelled my post as a tangent (rant/rave variety). More wishing how things would be rather than accepting what currently is.

Regardless of my wishes for Buffalo to self-destruct and the Sens to take a stranglehold on the series to return the NHL playoffs to a state of 'normalcy' (for me), best of luck.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
blueandgold*

Quote:
You're absolutely right. Which is why I labelled my post as a tangent (rant/rave variety). More wishing how things would be rather than accepting what currently is.

Regardless of my wishes for Buffalo to self-destruct and the Sens to take a stranglehold on the series to return the NHL playoffs to a state of 'normalcy' (for me), best of luck.

haha.....nice

For what its worth I don't hate the Habs like I hate TO, Philly and the Rags........

I don't know why....I guess our games are always good.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:38 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket
Unfortunately that is true. With the way Devils have played in this playoff you can tell that they donít like hitting game. I guess that is the result of their tactic: playing safe positional hockey. It could work against the Canes if Devils were very fast team or at least as fast as Canadiens.
Colorado and Devils are two softest teams in the playoffs right now.(imo)
Jersey is dressing a relatively tough squad but for some reason they aren't playing their pluggers at all. Marshall, Weimer, Janssen, Langenbrunner... Doesn't make them soft...

Old
05-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
As much as I think the Sabres and their fans are annoying, I must admit it's fun to watch the Sens fans have a meltdown. Couldn't happen to a better bunch...

Old
05-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold
haha.....nice

For what its worth I don't hate the Habs like I hate TO, Philly and the Rags........

I don't know why....I guess our games are always good.
It's because the habs are a hockey team.

Cap

Old
05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Mike, watching Ottawa is making me think of the late 70's and early 80's Expos. Great team, but if too many years slip away,...... it doesn't take much to have to become a different team. I'm hoping they do well, I live in a Sens first community I guess, and Ottawa's a great hockey town, but they're worrying me.

Regarding Carolina, I really enjoy that team now that I'm not watching with my heart in my mouth. Their forwards keep coming all game, in Staal, they can now build off a best player, I just like their mix. I like when a team finds a way to take advantage of what they have rather than adapting guys to a system. We all want Williams and co. decapitated for crowding the crease, or for the old oops, I hit the goalie but I was pushed trick, but we all whine that our guys don't do the same.

A local radio guy was talking about how he picks for the team that's fans have been the longest suffering, so Buffalo becomes his obvious choice.

Around here though, Buffalo's hated . The old man has an irrational hatred of anything Sabre related, going back to Punch Imlach. He told me he dislikes the team, hates the coach, and somehow hates Craig Ramsay, regardless of my explaining that he's in TB now. My brother told me the Ramsay hatred goes back to something in the 75 playoffs that he hasn't gotten over yet.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
Jersey is dressing a relatively tough squad but for some reason they aren't playing their pluggers at all. Marshall, Weimer, Janssen, Langenbrunner... Doesn't make them soft...
The guys you mention are tough enough, but I think team toughness, or the overused grit word has to be measured by the guys who see significant icetime. Esp. with White not playing, the guys with the big minutes are great players but aren't physically imposing.

Old
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Mike, watching Ottawa is making me think of the late 70's and early 80's Expos. Great team, but if too many years slip away,...... it doesn't take much to have to become a different team. I'm hoping they do well, I live in a Sens first community I guess, and Ottawa's a great hockey town, but they're worrying me.

Regarding Carolina, I really enjoy that team now that I'm not watching with my heart in my mouth. Their forwards keep coming all game, in Staal, they can now build off a best player, I just like their mix. I like when a team finds a way to take advantage of what they have rather than adapting guys to a system. We all want Williams and co. decapitated for crowding the crease, or for the old oops, I hit the goalie but I was pushed trick, but we all whine that our guys don't do the same.

A local radio guy was talking about how he picks for the team that's fans have been the longest suffering, so Buffalo becomes his obvious choice.

Around here though, Buffalo's hated . The old man has an irrational hatred of anything Sabre related, going back to Punch Imlach. He told me he dislikes the team, hates the coach, and somehow hates Craig Ramsay, regardless of my explaining that he's in TB now. My brother told me the Ramsay hatred goes back to something in the 75 playoffs that he hasn't gotten over yet.
I guess I have an irrational hatred for Carolina then because I actually don't mind Buffalo's success. Buffalo has played well and they're doing it with skill and speed NOT by running over goaltenders.

When Calgary went to the final 2 years ago all of Canada was roaring for them, except for me because they were the WORST at running goaltenders. I want to win clean, if you win you should win because you're the best team, not because you're willing to sell your soul to the devil and cheat.

I don't want the habs to run goalies over, and we had every opportunity to do so against the Canes but we didn't. And I'm proud of that. I'm proud we didn't sink to that level. We are a hockey team first and foremost.

Cap

Old
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who do you feel is softer?
Tampa Bay, Detroit, New York.

05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

So much of this game is still about goaltending, especially now that it's as much a science as an art.

The Sens keep running into a team that has a slightly better goalie that they have, year after year, especially with Hasek injured.

If the league really wants dynasties at any cost, in my opinion they have to give some thought to larger goals, although I know that this will upset the old-school fans.

Old
05-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
Tampa Bay, Detroit, New York.
I think he was refering to teams who are still in the playoffs.

Old
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
chi777

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat
So much of this game is still about goaltending, especially now that it's as much a science as an art.

The Sens keep running into a team that has a slightly better goalie that they have, year after year, especially with Hasek injured.

If the league really wants dynasties at any cost, in my opinion they have to give some thought to larger goals, although I know that this will upset the old-school fans.
The Sens, like Vancouver, have never really taken their goalteniding seriously. They try to get by on the cheap and it costs them everytime. Instead of 41 yr old Hasek they should have used Hossa to get themselves a franchise quality goaltender. Goaltending is king in the playoffs and Ottawa just doesn't have enough to get it done.

Old
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777
The Sens, like Vancouver, have never really taken their goalteniding seriously. They try to get by on the cheap and it costs them everytime. Instead of 41 yr old Hasek they should have used Hossa to get themselves a franchise quality goaltender. Goaltending is king in the playoffs and Ottawa just doesn't have enough to get it done.
I hope that BG won't make that same mistake. Sign both Huet and Aebi, the latter under the promise of either platooning him or trading him to a team that will play him as a #1, if it becomes obvious that Huet is no fluke. Judging by the Price draft, BG does have an inkling about the importance of a good goalie.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I think he was refering to teams who are still in the playoffs.
He said in the league. I cant think of a softer team then the NYR.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
We all want Williams and co. decapitated for crowding the crease, or for the old oops, I hit the goalie but I was pushed trick, but we all whine that our guys don't do the same.

First, I'd whine against the refs, that made a late attempt to get this issue solved, but it was more pathetic than anything else (one penalty on each side for goalie interference in game 5, I think).

If the refs can't do the justice and you have to do it yourself, it can become ugly pretty easily (think of what some wanted to do to Williams...). And I'm glad it didn't happen. It's not 1955 anymore.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
First, I'd whine against the refs, that made a late attempt to get this issue solved, but it was more pathetic than anything else (one penalty on each side for goalie interference in game 5, I think).

If the refs can't do the justice and you have to do it yourself, it can become ugly pretty easily (think of what some wanted to do to Williams...). And I'm glad it didn't happen. It's not 1955 anymore.
I agree...

Carolina will not win this way.

Cap

Old
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Habsaku

About Ottawa though, If anyone saw the last two minutes, it was disgracefull, they almost didnt apply any pressure.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Who do you feel is softer?
Detroit, New York Rangers, Carolina, Minny, Tampa...

I think New-Jersey's (and Montreal's) problems stems from playing down to Carolina's level and not playing their own brand of hockey.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

before the playoffs started, I predicted a buffalo/Nj conference final.... it seems like one half of it is coming true.

The thing with buffalo is that they have 4 lines that can come at you with speed and tenacity, three of those lines have some decent offensive punch

This is the type of team that I think the habs are well on their way of becoming.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Stan, I'm not criticizing the Canes, it's a fan's nature to want to hammer someone near your goalie. I'm not really thinking we should have chased anyone around the rink.

Hey don't knock 1955, it was a great year.

I think that the league doesn't have a policy about what's allowed in the crease. Teams play at the edge of what they think is the limit and change their game when the limit gets changed. I think the goalie has to be protected because he's a stationary target who isn't allowed to protect himself. Weigh that against wanting to leave the one on one battles in the game, and I'm not sure how they regulate it.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
before the playoffs started, I predicted a buffalo/Nj conference final.... it seems like one half of it is coming true.

The thing with buffalo is that they have 4 lines that can come at you with speed and tenacity, three of those lines have some decent offensive punch

This is the type of team that I think the habs are well on their way of becoming.
Pretty good comparison,Hacks.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
deandebean

Quote:

I disagree. The playoffs are a war. You win because your soldiers are the least injured, the more capable of sustaining multiple attacks, and the more capable of GIVING punishment, offensive and defensive. The goalie is part of the equation. ALLLLLL goalies get pushed around in the playoffs, get run over. etc. ALLLL forwards get crunched, get hurt sometime, somewhere.

Playoff hockey is not about being fancy. Never was. Go ask the 80's Oilers. They realised what it took to win a Cup the year they lost against the Isles; they saw the Isles players after the Oilers elimination: all packed in ice, all injured, all suffering.

That's playoffs for you.

It's not about being macho. It's the truth. Go ask Stevie Y. In order for a team like NJ to pass over Carolina, they will need to play a physical brand of hockey, which means: hit, hurt and disrupt. Just like what's going on in the West. Sure, there are beautiful goals scored, wonderful scoring chances and great saves. But between the highlight reels, there's the real deal: the war. And, right now, NJ is playing like it's the regular season.

With 20 seconds left, a good coach would have called a timeout. Brought all the players on the same page, with one message, and one only: I don't care if you lose the puck, just be sure that the opponent that gets it pays the price in every which way they can. Madden played like a wuss, and so did the rest of the quintet. They looked like they could care less. Leaving Staal in front of the net without a solid WACK on his hands, or some Sherwood in the neck is behond me. Lukowich looked like Patrice Brisebois, BEHIND Staal...

Old
05-09-2006, 11:46 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777
I didn't know the series was over already.

Closed Thread