HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT : Ottawa vs Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
I didn't know the series was over already.

You're right. But the hole is deep, you've got to admit.

Carolina did it, but it had a goalie solution. Right now, your team needs to play the same way it did yesterday and HOPE that Emery/Theo comes big. Because in Buffalo, the Sabres are playing a different game.

Old
05-09-2006, 12:28 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
You're right. But the hole is deep, you've got to admit.

Carolina did it, but it had a goalie solution. Right now, your team needs to play the same way it did yesterday and HOPE that Emery/Theo comes big. Because in Buffalo, the Sabres are playing a different game.
Yeah, it's unlikely but possible. If Ottawa wins the first (they basically have to), they could potentially ride the momentum into the second which is the following night.

Old
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Yeah, it's unlikely but possible. If Ottawa wins the first (they basically have to), they could potentially ride the momentum into the second which is the following night.
Ottawa has to win game 3 or they're done, plain and simple.

Cap

Old
05-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
I disagree. The playoffs are a war. You win because your soldiers are the least injured, the more capable of sustaining multiple attacks, and the more capable of GIVING punishment, offensive and defensive. The goalie is part of the equation. ALLLLLL goalies get pushed around in the playoffs, get run over. etc. ALLLL forwards get crunched, get hurt sometime, somewhere.

Playoff hockey is not about being fancy. Never was. Go ask the 80's Oilers. They realised what it took to win a Cup the year they lost against the Isles; they saw the Isles players after the Oilers elimination: all packed in ice, all injured, all suffering.

That's playoffs for you.

It's not about being macho. It's the truth. Go ask Stevie Y. In order for a team like NJ to pass over Carolina, they will need to play a physical brand of hockey, which means: hit, hurt and disrupt. Just like what's going on in the West. Sure, there are beautiful goals scored, wonderful scoring chances and great saves. But between the highlight reels, there's the real deal: the war. And, right now, NJ is playing like it's the regular season.

With 20 seconds left, a good coach would have called a timeout. Brought all the players on the same page, with one message, and one only: I don't care if you lose the puck, just be sure that the opponent that gets it pays the price in every which way they can. Madden played like a wuss, and so did the rest of the quintet. They looked like they could care less. Leaving Staal in front of the net without a solid WACK on his hands, or some Sherwood in the neck is behond me. Lukowich looked like Patrice Brisebois, BEHIND Staal...
I don't think you have to play that way to win. It bothers me if we have to resort to that level.

Should we have runover Cam Ward? No. There is a fine line I guess like mcphee says I guess.

I do think every team bends the rules but I do think we gave Carm Ward a free pass and let him play. He was not facing the same adversity that Huet was facing that's for sure. I guess I'm not sure what I'd be saying if we were the ones getting in his face all the time.

Cap

Old
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Hell, I don't believe Montreal/Carolina's over. 5 out of 9 baby.

Old
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee

Regarding Carolina, I really enjoy that team now that I'm not watching with my heart in my mouth. Their forwards keep coming all game, in Staal, they can now build off a best player, I just like their mix. I like when a team finds a way to take advantage of what they have rather than adapting guys to a system. We all want Williams and co. decapitated for crowding the crease, or for the old oops, I hit the goalie but I was pushed trick, but we all whine that our guys don't do the same.
I'm not sure why, but this team reminds me very much of the Bruins of 2-3 years ago.

It stuns me that their very week D hasn't been more exposed in the playoffs.

I'm maybe the biggest homer out their, but I still believe MTL lost that series for non hockey reasons. i.e., mostly bad luck, because of the injury and a lost of spirit that seamed to follow that string of bad luck.

If they don't get better on D fast, they'll disappear from the map real fast, just like the Bs did.

Now in two or three years, you come back and see me and I'll explain to you why my predictions didn't materialised

Old
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
chi777

Quote:
I'm not saying that it's done. But Emery hasn't really helped out all that much. And if Ottawa does come back they will probably have to face an offence better than the Sabres. In fact, considering how many shot he has faced, this is probably as easy as it's gonna get for Emery.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Legolas

I think Ottawa can come back. They dominated both games of the series so far. Emery lost the first game, and their inability to finish lost the second (or Miller won the second, whichever you choose). Buffalo is a very opportunistic team and they are going to improve as the series goes along too, but Ottawa isn't too far away from turning this around...sort of reminds me of us against Boston in 2004 after we got down 3-1.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Hey don't knock 1955, it was a great year.

Oh, I would never criticize what happened on this wonderful year, hockeywise or not.

Just that the times have changed, hockey wise or not for that matter...

And I don't think the League would tolerate some of the violent and aggressive behaviours that occured then. Even if some of them are now part of the legend...

Increase of the speed (both players and puck), number of games and teams, equipment, many things make for a something that looks a lot different, even if it's still hockey.

This year was supposed to be the year where pure talent and offensive would win in the end. Or, Carolina beat us with tight defensive game and screening the goalie instead of "maliking" him. That's what got me very disappointed and frustrated.

This and the fact that some Canes fans are calling for an heroic return from a team full of heart.

@ deandebean :

I acknowledge that playoffs are a war, but I don't like it when I see 2 damaged teams facing in the finals. That makes the game for Stanley not the best of the year, when it should obviously be...
What was OK with 2 playoff rounds and a 50-game season is not with an 82-game schedule followed by 20+ playoff games.
As a matter of consequences, many players dominating in the series did not played the whole regular season and are just fresher come playoff time, thus giving them the edge.
I don't know if I'm clear. My point is just that, as much as I like intense hockey, I'd also like talent to win in the end.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Hell, I don't believe Montreal/Carolina's over. 5 out of 9 baby.

Huh, I think we missed game 8.

Old
05-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I don't know if I'm clear. My point is just that, as much as I like intense hockey, I'd also like talent to win in the end.
Loud and clear here. 100% agreed

Cap

Old
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Live Forever

Is anyone else watching the Sabres - Sens game 3? The excitement level is through the roof!

Old
05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Clumsyhab

What a game so far. I didn't know Sabres fans are that loud. I hope Perez will be as good as Afinogenov. I can see a lot of similarities with those 2 players.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Live Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
What a game so far. I didn't know Sabres fans are that loud. I hope Perez will be as good as Afinogenov. I can see a lot of similarities with those 2 players.
Dude you freakin read my mind. I came back onto the computer to comment on the Loudness of the crowd and that Perezhogin = Afinogenov...I swear.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Live Forever

Holy crap what a game...Ottawa ties it up with less than 2 minutes left into the game on the powerplay with a questionable call on Havlat...Almost looked like a dive, but man oh man, It just seemed like both teams were sprinting for the entire 3rd period. They were skating so fast it was making me dizzy.

P.S. wow...Alfie hits the post with 1 second left

Old
05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Namso

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

One thing is certain in life: Ottawa will always perform the biggest chokejob come playoff time.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:12 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

One thing is certain in life: Ottawa will always perform the biggest chokejob come playoff time.

Recently, the Red Wings are giving them a hard time though.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Artyukhin*

if ottawa goes out 2 round this year

i can see the ottawa sens being dismantled and takin in another direction .

to bad .eugene melnick is a great guy , but he is goona find out you just cant talk about how bad you want a cup that doesnt get your one . it take alot of skill and a lot of luck . regular season means nothing . it all about the payoffs and there getting schooled buy a Sabres team that really wants it bad

i think they got the skill but just isnt meant to be . which i think is going to make eugene one unhappy man .....

big changes coming in ottawa

Old
05-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Live Forever

It's Lalime's fault!

Old
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
It's Lalime's fault!

Old
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont know about you guys but I asbsolutely love the way Buffalo is playing. The counterattack is downright scary and exciting to watch.

And it seems like everytime Afinogenov or Briere has the puck, something is going to happen. Too bad Connolly is knocked out because he is a fun dangler to watch too.

Closed Thread