HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Holt or Weekes, which one will be Ran. backup next year, which one Wolfpack starter?

View Poll Results: Weekes vs Holt
Weekes will remain Rangers backup, Holt will settle for being Wolfpack starter next year 33 27.73%
Holt will take over as Rangers backup, Weekes will be demoted to being Wolfpack starter next year 8 6.72%
Holt will be the backup in Hartford 58 48.74%
Montoya will be the backup with the Rangers 20 16.81%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
wildone26*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Where is the option for the Starting Rangers Goalie?
I guess the odds of Lundqvist not being starter next year being next to nil is something all of us can agree on. That is unless you doubt that?

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
UAGoalieGuy

This poll is rediculous. Holt has been playing exceptional so far in the playoffs, but it has been what? 5 games? You cannot claim that Holt could possibly be the backup on the RANGERS next season because of 5 (or however many he plays during the AHL playoffs) games. Holt will battle Montoya for the starting job next season with the Pack, but he will lose. He will get a decent amount of games, but that is all. If the Rangers trade Weekes during the season or let him walk at the end of next season, Montoya will be Lundqvist's backup and Holt will take over the starting job with the Pack. If at some point the Rangers trade Montoya, then you will see Holt come up as the Rangers backup. That will be about two to four years away though. Holt's strong paly of late only indicates that the goaltending depth in the organization is stronger then it was mid-season when Holt was struggling with the Pack and was demoted to the ECHL.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 10:29 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
Grrr, why are there options added to my poll. I take that to be a sabatoge of my freedom of speech rights. I am cranky now.
Delete the entire thread if you're unhappy.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Where is the option for the Starting Rangers Goalie?
No question it should be The Fort. Should have been in against the Devils.

E-Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Edge

Not even touching this one.

I swear every time I go away for 5 or more days I come back to this stuff.

It's all my fault, I apologize.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 11:13 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Not even touching this one.

I swear every time I go away for 5 or more days I come back to this stuff.

It's all my fault, I apologize.
No, I'd say the little one has to foot the blame for this.

We were really good till this evening. Really.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 02:01 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
You guys are being a little harsh on the guy jeez.

Anyway Wildone, I don't think that what Holt does in the playoffs is going to put him ahead of Montoya, Weekes and Lundqvist no matter what. If he goes absolutely nuts and wins the Calder Cup by himself, then we MIGHT have a debate, maybe he really is a diamond in the rough and we're all wrong, but I really can't see him overtaking Montoya. You have to remember, if Montoya was relagated to backup role in the minors, it'd almost be an admission of failure in the drafting of him by the front office. The Rangers want Montoya to succeed because if he ends up being a bust and not getting the playing time it will look bad.
Holt is playing well, and like someone else said, it's extremely possible that Weekes gets traded because he doesn't want to be a backup. If he does get dealt, then what I would do is let Holt be the backup on the Rangers, let him play maybe 15 games, provided Lundqvist is healthy and plays like Lundqvist did this year, and provided Holt doesn't miraculously turn into Patrick Roy and steal the show which I highly doubt happens, and then let Montoya, who probably has a better future ahead of him and is probably the better goalie between him and Holt, develop another year in the minors. Having too many good goalies is a great problem to have, but don't forget, we also had Blackburn, so we shouldn't deal anyone too quickly, injuries unfortunately happen. I wouldn't mind giving Holt a chance as the backup role and eventually dealing Weekes if it turns out Holt is the real deal and so is Montoya, but until he proves that in camp next year, everything is pure speculation.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 04:19 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
No question it should be The Fort. Should have been in against the Devils.

say what?....

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
You guys are being a little harsh on the guy jeez.

Anyway Wildone, I don't think that what Holt does in the playoffs is going to put him ahead of Montoya, Weekes and Lundqvist no matter what. If he goes absolutely nuts and wins the Calder Cup by himself, then we MIGHT have a debate, maybe he really is a diamond in the rough and we're all wrong, but I really can't see him overtaking Montoya. You have to remember, if Montoya was relagated to backup role in the minors, it'd almost be an admission of failure in the drafting of him by the front office. The Rangers want Montoya to succeed because if he ends up being a bust and not getting the playing time it will look bad.
Holt is playing well, and like someone else said, it's extremely possible that Weekes gets traded because he doesn't want to be a backup. If he does get dealt, then what I would do is let Holt be the backup on the Rangers, let him play maybe 15 games, provided Lundqvist is healthy and plays like Lundqvist did this year, and provided Holt doesn't miraculously turn into Patrick Roy and steal the show which I highly doubt happens, and then let Montoya, who probably has a better future ahead of him and is probably the better goalie between him and Holt, develop another year in the minors. Having too many good goalies is a great problem to have, but don't forget, we also had Blackburn, so we shouldn't deal anyone too quickly, injuries unfortunately happen. I wouldn't mind giving Holt a chance as the backup role and eventually dealing Weekes if it turns out Holt is the real deal and so is Montoya, but until he proves that in camp next year, everything is pure speculation.
Thanks for your answer. If Weekes were to be traded and Holt became the backup for the Rangers next year that would be great for him. I would love to see that.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that, especially if Holt is close to as good as he's playing now, because then we could deal Weekes, save some salary on the backup position without sacrificing too much skill, and get something back, maybe get a mid round pick back or something or something we could actually use. Oh yeah and Where's Barnaby, I think E-Train was being sarcastic...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
If Weekes were to be traded and Holt became the backup for the Rangers next year that would be great for him. I would love to see that.
I guess that you are planning on having Lundqvist start about 75 games then?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that, especially if Holt is close to as good as he's playing now, because then we could deal Weekes, save some salary on the backup position without sacrificing too much skill,
1. You really do not see the drop from Weekes to Holt?
2. Don't you think it is a tad too early for trumpeting Holt to replace Weekes as the backup?

Old
05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
shoothepuck

Holt and Montoya stay where they are, Lundqvist starts, and Weekes either gets traded and NY signs a 25+ game back-up, or Weekes fills that role till his contracts up.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
you can't just "demote" weekes to the wolfpack, he needs to clear waivers, which i doubt he will. some team will want the guy.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Why the hell would they send Weekes down to start in Hartford??!?!?!? If you dont like a seasoned veteran goalie there are plenty of options with him at the NHL level... teams are always looking for an NHL goalie. Sending him down does nothing but decrease his value and pretty much become a blatant insult to him.

Remember he is a starting goalie, and had some pretty good stretches over his career, Lundqvist stole the spot from him and Weekes became a big team player this season and sat for his teammates, sending him down would be horrible. If you dont want him trade him so he can play somewhere else or you can get something back for him. Hartford is for development anyway. And why would you have a #1 pick sit the bench in his developmental years?

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
True Blue

I am curious about the first choice. The one where Weekes remains the backup and Holt becomes the 'Pack starter next year. What happened to Montoya in that equation? 16 people voted for this choice, so I am just curious if they knew where Montoya is.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
romba

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I am curious about the first choice. The one where Weekes remains the backup and Holt becomes the 'Pack starter next year. What happened to Montoya in that equation? 16 people voted for this choice, so I am just curious if they knew where Montoya is.
The original poll only had the first 2 options available. If you wanted to vote, your arm was twisted and you were forced to pick your poison. I opted to not vote, and then a mod decided to add the other 2 more sensible options. The point of this thread wasn't to get a collective opinion on where we think Holt will be next year.

Old
05-10-2006, 11:37 AM
RangerFan_48

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
Holt in a landslide.

Montoya? who's Montoya? he's clearly not as good, that why he's not even dressing in the most important Wolfpack games of the season.

I'm glad the Rangers' organization came to their senses and realized who their man is.

Ummmm, maybe you haven't heard but Montoya was hurt a just before the playoffs and ended up having to have his shoulder operated on same day as Jagr. Glad that Holt is doing so well but he is definitely not a starting goalie.

RangerFan_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
sveyland1

I could see a situation where Montoya is eventually traded, and maybe Holt can develop into a solid back-up goalie for Lundqvist. Coming into the playoffs and playing so well like he has shows he has the ability to step in a back up role and perform and give his team a chance to win. Having the great goalie coach the Rangers do too, that will only help Holt.

sveyland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
nyr7andcounting

I voted for Weekes starting in Hartford and Holt backing up Henke. I voted for that because I think it's awsome when people include impossibilities as options in their polls

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan_48
Ummmm, maybe you haven't heard but Montoya was hurt a just before the playoffs and ended up having to have his shoulder operated on same day as Jagr. Glad that Holt is doing so well but he is definitely not a starting goalie.
well he was actually hurt in game 5 of the first round, and I was just playing along with this stupid thread.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
I voted for Weekes starting in Hartford and Holt backing up Henke. I voted for that because I think it's awsome when people include impossibilities as options in their polls

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 01:35 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

How about Weekes gets traded and the Rangers sign Valiquette as backup?

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 02:59 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyerphan
How about Weekes gets traded and the Rangers sign Valiquette as backup?
Gee, I hope not.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 03:06 PM
romba

Motoya for Labarbera and a 5th.