Notices

Player and Team Grades through 10 games

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 09:16 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Player and Team Grades through 10 games

Well I figured since we've hit the ten game mark it'd be a good time to review the team and their start.

Overall 5-4-0-1.....Not a massive start, but they have been solid overall in pretty much every game so far this season, they haven't just given away any game without an effort yet and have stayed in all the games (except the Van game to start the year) and haven't been 'blown out' yet. I think they can be better yet (especially on offense where they are on pace for a woeful 172 goals) and will need to be if they expect to make the playoffs IMO. Overall they get a B+ (their effort pushes up their ranking IMO)

Players.....

Jarome Iginla (3-4-7)....Pace: (25-33-58).....Hasn't gotten off to the greatest of scoring starts (though playing with Rhino seems to have helped) the thing that worried me the most was his lack of shots, but that seems to be coming around at last, I think he's worked well being captain though.....Grade: B- We need more scoring and he is the one we must count on, 58 point pace won't cut it.

Steven Reinprecht (1-6-7)....Pace: (13-78-91).....Has played very well since coming back from injury IMO, is creating chances all over the ice and has revitalized the Conroy-Iginla combo more than McAmmond could. Has a very high pace in PPG, but if he breaks 60 this year I would still be pumped.....Grade: A Has been our best offensive weapon IMO.

Chuck Kobasew (2-3-5)....Pace: (16-25-41).....Has played alot the way I have expected, not being noticeable away from the puck (but not in a bad way...he hasn't been making huge plays away from the puck but hasn't been giving it away for goals) but he still keeps popping up in time to create the odd scoring chance for the Calgary version of the two kids and a goat line. He hasn't gotten much ice time yet, but the better he gets the more Sutter will play him and not rush him to do everything right away which is good IMO. Grade: B Is doing all I want right now and only getting better.

Matt Lombardi (2-2-4)....Pace: (16-16-32)....Has really been a big surprise so anything he does has to be counted as a bonus for this team. I am impressed he was able to come in and play 2nd line center this easily....though I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter tried to get another forward and perhaps let Lombardi develop in the A another year or get on the job training. Grade: A Like I said, anything from him is great.

Andy Ference (0-3-3)....Pace: (0-30-30)....Has sat a couple of times, but I think he has really gained Sutter's confidence. He can still make the occasional slip up in the defensive zone, but so does Leopold and they both will learn, and quickly or Sutter will be on the warpath. If he puts up 30 points this year and keeps our PP going like it has been then I'll be happy, and hopefully he'll grow in his defensive smarts. Grade: C+

Martin Gelinas (2-1-3)....Pace: (16-8-24)....Seems to have worked himself back onto a scoring line again, started off with Yelle and Donovan making a good third line, but our lack of scoring and a McAmmond injury seems to have helped him find a place next to Lombardi and Kobasew forming our second unit and has steadied the youngsters IMO. Grade: B-

Toni Lydman (0-3-3)...Pace: (0-25-25)....Started off without much of Sutter's confidence IMO, but I think he has gained it back lately. He is getting more ice time again as Sutter has tried not to rush Ference or the Leopold-Regehr pairing too much. Lydman is smart enough to keep the game simple and I think he is a good example for the younger players, and he can chip in with points which is always helpful. Grade: B Recent play has brought this up.

Oleg Saprykin (1-2-3)....Pace: (11-16-27)....Started off getting shuffled around the lines and sent to the PB and has been into Sutter's doghouse. I think that he has come out though and has found what seems to be a good fit for him on the checking line with Yelle and Donovan and I hope Sutter keeps it together for at least sometime. He can basically do everything Donovan does on the RW but has more scoring touch IMO. Grade: C Can be better yet.

Stephan Yelle (1-2-3)....Pace: (9-18-27)....Has really done everything asked of him so far, really underrated IMO and should get recognized as one of the better checking line centers in the League. Grade: B Right on par.

Jordan Leopold (2-1-3)....Pace: (16-8-24)....Has had his ice time cut recently and I think it was the right move by Sutter. He still has been getting his shot on the PP and doing well (ex: Columbus game) He remains our best offensive defensemen hope and I think Sutter has to help him learn the defensive side as well because it will really lead to him scoring more. Defense leads to Offense. He still kinda scares me when he takes the puck in front of his own net sometimes on the breakout, but he's learning. Grade: C- The two goals last game pull him up.

Craig Conroy (1-2-3)....Pace: (8-16-24)....Really was hurting to start the year, Seems to have found some hope playing with Rhino and Iggy but our No.1 center can't be on pace for less goals and points than our checking line center. Grade: D- He needs to pick it up.

Shean Donovan (2-1-3)....Pace: (16-8-24)....I really like the way he's played, has definetaly found his way above Clark on the depth charts. No matter what, him and Yelle are the basis of the checking line it seems. Grade: B

Chris Clark (1-1-2)....Pace: (8-8-16)....Has found himself a place where he belongs as 4th line RW IMO. Hasn't played poorly since he is now in a more fitting role. Grade: C

Robyn Regehr (0-2-2)....Pace: (0-16-16)....Hasn't played horribly IMO, but he does need to step up, especially being the veteran of the Regehr-Leopold pairing (though they are the same age) he needs to take charge more often, and even assert himself with the puck more often. Grade: C+

Blair Betts (1-1-2)....Pace: (8-8-16)....Has been steady on the 4th line, plays well there and hasn't been rashly expected to score which would have hurt his confidence IMO. Grade: C Steady.

Dean McAmmond (1-0-1)....Pace: (13-0-13)....Has lost his spot on the top line. I don't see where he fits on this team anymore. I think Gelinas has the 2nd line LW now so Deano has really lost all his options on this team. Can we get a late-round pick back for him in a trade? Not IMO, he's waiver material IMO, and expensive at that. Grade: F

Krys (I won't try to spell your first name) Oliwa (1-0-1)....Pace: (11-0-11)....Has surved his purpose and done it well IMO. Grade: C

Rhett Warrener (0-1-1)....Pace: (0-8-8)....Not the offense savior of this defense, but very underrated IMO. He plays smart and solid, definetaly the type Sutter would like. Grade: B

Denis Gauthier (0-0-0)....Pace: (0-0-0)....Had me worried after the first game in Vancouver, but he has steady himself and been solid. Constantly in trade rumours, but I think we'd be well served to keep him around unless 'the right price' comes around. Grade: B-

Dave Lowry (0-0-0)....Pace: (0-0-0)....I gotta admit I hated this signing when it was done, but the more I see the more I really think he is a great leader in the locker room....anybody else see him being groomed to become some kind of coach eventually? Grade: C

Steve Montador (0-0-0)....Pace: (0-0-0)....Incomplete really, solid when he's in, but has only been in twice. Can't complain. Grade: C

Roman Turek (0-2-0)....An incomplete really too, has gotten hurt and strangely that may have been the best thing he could have done for us. Grade: C-

Jamie McLennan (5-2-0)...Has played great IMO, hasn't had tough shots to face, but has stood tall when needed. I think the players really respect him and he seems to have taken over the team in Turek's absence. Grade: A Great play and steadying influence.

Dany Sabourin (0-1-0)....His first NHL game was just that. Looks good for the future though. Grade: C Not really a grade but hey I needed something there.

Coaching Staff.....I like the job Sutter has done so far, he has realized you build offense from the defensive zone out and hasn't panicked after the Flames lack of scoring early on (which is coming around). May still make a play for another scorer, but we'll see. Grade: A+

Opinions? Thoughts? Am I Out To Lunch?

By the way all of the 'Pace' stats are assuming the player plays the rest of the games without injury or heading to the PB so it's obviously not possible for all to stay at this rate.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:32 PM
icarus

Wow, I don't have the same kind of patience to do a player by player rating, but I have to ask about your scale. You gave Oliwa (for example)a C but said he has done his job well. So that says to me every player is rated on one scale according to ability (i.e. Oliwa could never get an A unless he becomes a scoring machine). If this is so, there are few players on the Flames that could possibly get an A in the first place, which kind of skews the grades you give each.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:50 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
Wow, I don't have the same kind of patience to do a player by player rating, but I have to ask about your scale. You gave Oliwa (for example)a C but said he has done his job well. So that says to me every player is rated on one scale according to ability (i.e. Oliwa could never get an A unless he becomes a scoring machine). If this is so, there are few players on the Flames that could possibly get an A in the first place, which kind of skews the grades you give each.
Hey you bring a good point, sorry about that I'll explain it better. I do a scale more like the one The Hockey News runs when they rate guys. I think more like this.....A top 2 line forward performing on average gets a B, A bottom 2 line forward performing on average gets a C or C- you then rank from there. For Defensemen a top 4 guy gets a B for average play and a bottom 2 guy gets a C for average. A Goalie gets a B- for average play. Just to make it more confusing to everyone but me , I don't necessarily rank young guys that haven't found their spot on the same scale...I just go by feel. It makes it all seem very confusing, but it all comes down to this, what they have done so far is ranked on importance to the team as a whole. Hence Oliwa gets a C for playing well while Iginla gets a B- for playing below his ability. Even Iginla playing below par is more important than Oliwa playing well IMO.

Does that make it clearer? At all?

Old
11-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Flamin' Griz

No time to go through player by player, and I generally agree....though I think you've been overly tough on the defensemen....look at the GAA!

I would like to say, however, that Shean Donovan deserves an A if not an A+. He brings it every night and does all the little things to help the Flames win, at both ends of the ice. His speed has added a lot to this team.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Overall 5-4-0-1.....Not a massive start, but they have been solid overall in pretty much every game so far this season, they haven't just given away any game without an effort yet and have stayed in all the games (except the Van game to start the year) and haven't been 'blown out' yet.
The effort against the Sabres didn't exactly give me a tingling sensation in the loins.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:36 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
The effort against the Sabres didn't exactly give me a tingling sensation in the loins.
You bring a good point, I didn't see that one, but it didn't sound good at all. My mistake.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Hitman*

I also think that Donovan deserves an A. He's a role player and he doesn the job perfectly. He's forechecked hard, opened up some scoring chances and never gives up.

Since the Flames are playing the solid system hockey, I think that the grades should be given whether the players are filling their roles or not. Donovan, Yelle, Clark have done it to precision IMO.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:12 AM
MaLockFan

Turek injury

Has there been any new news on Turek? We are really stuggling down on the farm w/o Sanbourin. Just wondering if there has been updates on him.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:44 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLockFan
Has there been any new news on Turek? We are really stuggling down on the farm w/o Sanbourin. Just wondering if there has been updates on him.
I think it was said to be about a month or so till he gets back about a week ago....so I think it'll be awhile yet.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:19 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLockFan
I hope/expect Krahn should be an adequate replacement once he gets acclimatised.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:13 AM
Badger Bob

Come to think of it, the Flames should've held on with a 2 goal lead going into the 3rd against Dallas.

Closed Thread