HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Blue Stripe on the boards

Old
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
HWhaler

vCash: 500
Blue Stripe on the boards

I've always wanted to ask this. Why does every arena now have a yellow stripe on the boards? Back then some arenas like the Montreal Forum, Joe Louis Sports Arena, and Quebec Colisee had a blue stripe on the boards. Is it forbidden now to have a blue stripe?

HWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
MerlinTheBruiser

Maybe so the linesmen can tell where the blue line is without it blending into the boards...

MerlinTheBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWhaler
I've always wanted to ask this. Why does every arena now have a yellow stripe on the boards? Back then some arenas like the Montreal Forum, Joe Louis Sports Arena, and Quebec Colisee had a blue stripe on the boards. Is it forbidden now to have a blue stripe?
It's funny that you ask that, because I've wondered the exact same thing. I didn't think that anybody else would actually care. It is stated in the rulebook that the borders around the bottom of the boards should be yellow. Why that is, I'm not sure.

I've kind of thought that it could be because the NHL has needed standardized rink boards in all rinks, and maybe the manufacturer only has yellow for the bottom. Otherwise, I don't know.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:57 PM
acr*

I read that the NHL made it mandatory with all the new arenas...I have no idea why though

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
HWhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
It's funny that you ask that, because I've wondered the exact same thing. I didn't think that anybody else would actually care. It is stated in the rulebook that the borders around the bottom of the boards should be yellow. Why that is, I'm not sure.

I've kind of thought that it could be because the NHL has needed standardized rink boards in all rinks, and maybe the manufacturer only has yellow for the bottom. Otherwise, I don't know.
They should bring the blue stripe look back. The last time there was an arena that had a blue stripe on the bottom of the boards was the 93-94 season. It was in the Brendan Bryne Arena, now known as the Continental Airlines Arena. I always liked the blue striped look, especially on the Montreal Forum boards because it suited so well with the colours of the Montreal Canadiens' jerseys. It looked "cool" to me . The blue stripe that was on the Joe Louis Sports Arena boards also looked cool because it matched well with the Red on the Red Wings Jersey, making it a good colour combination. There was also a blue stripe on the Winnipeg Jets' boards also. Now all we see are these boring yellow stripes in all the arenas. It's like, say, seeing all yellow paint on the NBA basketball courts, instead of seeing different colours that are painted on according to the team's colours.

HWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
dabid

How come only 2 teams have yellow ON TOP of the boards?

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by reej
How come only 2 teams have yellow ON TOP of the boards?
Yeah, I've wondered that too. I think Edmonton is one of them if I remember correctly.

As far as the, I guess you would call it "baseboards", maybe it's so that the boards have a contrasting color to the ice, yet isn't so dark that you can't see the puck when it's up against it, down low in the corners and whatnot. Especially for TV viewing. Why yellow... dunno? Why not orange or light green?

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWhaler
I would imagine it might have something to do with being able to see the puck better for the players and linesman.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:49 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww
Yeah, I've wondered that too. I think Edmonton is one of them if I remember correctly.

As far as the, I guess you would call it "baseboards", maybe it's so that the boards have a contrasting color to the ice, yet isn't so dark that you can't see the puck when it's up against it, down low in the corners and whatnot. Especially for TV viewing. Why yellow... dunno? Why not orange or light green?
I miss the blue Kickplate myself. I associated it with the Nords.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

For what it's worth, the kickplate in mandatory light yellow.
Quote:
Except for the official markings provided for in these rules, the entire playing surface and the boards shall be white in color except the kick plate at the bottom of the board which shall be light yellow in color.
http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule02.html

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote