HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie spectors rumors

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 03:04 AM
FacelessButcher

vCash: 500
Comrie spectors rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectors hockey
1)NO MARKET FOR COMRIE?

DALLAS MORNING NEWS: Mike Heika reports the Edmonton Oilers aren't having much success shopping holdout centre Mike Comrie. Heika claims the Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Florida Panthers interest in Comrie has "cooled", predominantly due to his contract demands for over $4 million per season.

Spector's Note: If we go by what the Comrie camp is saying, money and contract length aren't the reasons why he wants out of Edmonton, so either the Oilers have no problem paying him over $4 mil per season (unlikely), or that figure is incorrect. In which case, it may be that Comrie's disagreements with Oilers management is giving him a bad reputation, which in itself can make a player difficult to move.

MORE ON KINGS INTEREST IN COMRIE

2)EDMONTON SUN: Robin Brownlee reports LA Kings GM Dave Taylor acknowledged having discussions with Oilers GM Kevin Lowe regarding Mike Comrie. Brownlee notes Taylor has some valuable prospects he could offer up as trade bait, among them centre Mike Cammalleri, winger Alexander Frolov and big defenceman Maxim Kuznetsov.

Spector's Note: Supposedly Lowe wants a better return than prospects for Comrie, such as a top six forward or top three defenceman. If that's the case he won't have much interest in the Kings prospects. However, if he's finding no interest in his asking price for Comrie, he may have to consider a return of prospects.

3)- The Atlanta Thrashers apparently have "stepped up" efforts to land Edmonton's Mike Comrie. Oilers GM Kevin Predergast supposedly scouted Thrashers prospect blueliner Braydon Coburn and the Thrashers could package him with Patrik Stefan.

Spector's Note: Stefan alone couldn't land Comrie, but packaging him with a promising youngster like Coburn might. Still, there are other reports dismissing the Thrashers interest in Comrie because of his salary demands.
A lot more Comrie speculation than usual so I thought I would post it here for easy access.. 4million!? . Read somewhere else(can't find the source just a regular poster claiming to have a "inside connection") that the rift between Comrie and MacT is the primary reason for him leaving apparently MacT called Comrie a "selfish ..." and MacT gave an ultimatum to Kevin -it's either me or him, and was the reason for MacTavish's reluctance to re-sign in the off-season.

Comment away.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 07-19-2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: circumvention of filter
Old
11-03-2003, 04:09 AM
Smaug

vCash:
I heard some rublings about Comrie and MacT dislliking each other, and I thought it might mean "trouble" when Lowe signed MacT longterm .... I would not be suprised if this is the source of Comries discontent.

Still, wherever Comries woes originate, it will not be easy for Lowe to shift the malcontent. Comrie could be sitting all year.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug
I heard some rublings about Comrie and MacT dislliking each other, and I thought it might mean "trouble" when Lowe signed MacT longterm .... I would not be suprised if this is the source of Comries discontent.

Still, wherever Comries woes originate, it will not be easy for Lowe to shift the malcontent. Comrie could be sitting all year.
I think that Comrie was at least some part of the "philosophical differences" between Lowe and MacTavish before the coach re-signed (and I think that may be why Comrie and Winter keep making a point of using that particular phrase), but Lowe seems mighty pissed off at Comrie too, now.

Unfortunately, I think that you are right. Either his reputed attitude or salary demands are probably going to lower his value. On the other hand, I really like the idea of Comrie + for Stefan and Coburn, if the rumours I keep hearing have any substance.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:16 AM
T$$$

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
A lot more Comrie speculation than usual so I thought I would post it here for easy access.. 4million!? . Read somewhere else(can't find the source just a regular poster claiming to have a "inside connection") that the rift between Comrie and MacT is the primary reason for him leaving apparently MacT called Comrie a "selfish *****" and MacT gave an ultimatum to Kevin -it's either me or him, and was the reason for MacTavish's reluctance to re-sign in the off-season.

Comment away.
That was me who has the inside connection. We won't mention where I said it, just that I do have a source, and he is VERY riliable.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:23 AM
McMatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by T$$$
That was me who has the inside connection. We won't mention where I said it, just that I do have a source, and he is VERY riliable.
Who's the source? Name? Position in organization?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:49 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
(and I think that may be why Comrie and Winter keep making a point of using that particular phrase)
Excellent theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Who's the source? Name? Position in organization?
Notice T$$$'s location? Wonder if that provides a clue?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:59 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Without any information on who this source is (and even then) then what you're saying is all hear-say.
We need some proof if you want us to believe what you're saying at all.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Hmmmmm. Since I'm Wayne Gretzky, I also have an inside source, me, and he says that I'm awesome because I'm Wayne Gretzky.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:14 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Without any information on who this source is (and even then) then what you're saying is all hear-say.
We need some proof if you want us to believe what you're saying at all.
Yes, you have to take anything you read on a message board with a grain of salt. Always good advice.

This theory makes a lot of sense, though. Think about the timetable of Comrie's earlier alleged trade demands... consider (and I think this came from somebody on 1260- either Bryn or TotalSportsBob) that somebody from the ownership group tore into MacT for having Comrie on the ice when the opponent had an empty net, allowing Comrie to pick up an assist.

We're all just trying to connect the dots here. I was buying into the "hometown pressure" thing earlier, but conflict with MacT seems like as good a theory as anything we've heard.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:17 AM
jofa

Stefan/Coburn sounds like a good return on paper, but I get the feeling we could be very disappointed in Stefan. From the comments of some Atlanta fans, it sounds like he is a talented player who just doesn't play with any heart, will glide around the ice and disappear for entire games. Although Coburn could be a great addition, I think Edmonton fans may end up being entirely frustrated with Stefan. Then again, he could be a good fit with a player like Dvorak, and its always possible his career could be resurrected in an Oiler jersey, but right now he is looking a lot more like a first overall bust.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:20 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, it would be something like exhibit W:
skilled player with potential to dominate or flop

We have went through many of these and I can't say I'd be suprised to see us do something of that sort again.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:39 AM
jofa

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but does anyone else feel like a trade is imminent this week? I keep checking back to the Oiler website, expecting an announcement any time now...

Old
11-03-2003, 06:39 AM
goldenchild

Maybe I'm alone but I would definitly look at a deal involving Frolov he has offensive skills that very few on our roster have Frolov and a Defensive prospect would do it for me I think the kid would be great on a line with Hemsky giving Hemmer that trype of 1 time finisher that could really excell with him. he's young, big and has great offensive upside.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:44 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
Maybe I'm alone but I would definitly look at a deal involving Frolov he has offensive skills that very few on our roster have Frolov and a Defensive prospect would do it for me I think the kid would be great on a line with Hemsky giving Hemmer that trype of 1 time finisher that could really excell with him. he's young, big and has great offensive upside.
agreed completely. From the looks of Mikhnov, if we added Frolov to our left side we'd be set. Offensively, Frolov would be perfect as the big guy with good hands that can go to the net and still play with a high level of skill with Hemsky. I mean look 4 years down the road. The idea of a left side of:
Frolov
Mikhnov
Rita
Torres

That's pretty friggin impressive IMO.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:47 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Stefan/Coburn sounds like a good return on paper, but I get the feeling we could be very disappointed in Stefan.
I agree, although I like the trade in terms of value for value, I am not sold on the idea of Stefan playing for us.

I definately like the idea of getting Coburn but I have a hard time picturing where Stefan would fit right now.

We are not really doing too bad in the offence department, Smyth has room to improve at center but I think he is coming around and I don't mind the idea of leaving Isbister Smyth Hemsky alone for a while until it is absolutely conclusive that it won't work.

On the second line Dvorak and York have some obvious chemistry and again I don't mind leaving York at center. Torres was a nice addition to the line on Saturday - much better than playing him on the first line - and at the very least I think it was good enough to merit leaving the trio together for a while to see if they have some real ability.

So based on that, where does Stefan fit? For the short term he doesn't fit on the top two lines, do we trade Comrie for another 3rd or 4th line center?

If Lowe is going to trade for a roster player, then he needs to get someone that will hands down be good enough to push one of our top six down the line up because that is what we are giving up, but I don't see that in Stefan.

It's a tough call, I think Lowe needs to wait onm the trade to make absolutely sure he is filling the appropriate hole, but on the flip side Atlanta seems to need offence now and the deal may not be there if Lowe waits too long.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Yanner39

Stefan's a huge wildcard IMO. I mean, he has skill. We have to remember that he came into a situation in ATL where the team was horrible and he had a lot of pressure put on him (like most 1st overall picks), was injured alot. His short career so far ahasn't been anything to write about.

Maybe a change of scenary would be good for him. Don't get me wrong, a trade with ATL is not my first choice, but I think Lowe could do worst.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:19 AM
McJadeddog

for the love of god do not trade comrie for a guy that "could use a change of scenery" or "has big potential, but just hasnt lived up to it yet"..... this is EXACTLY what we dont need..... what we DO need is a LEGIT top 6 forward or a LEGIT top 3 dman..... i capitalized "legit" because we need something that is a "for sure" thing, because you know that comrie is going to score his 20+ goals and 35+ assists each year for the team that gets him, so why shouldnt we get something just as good back?

Old
11-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
for the love of god do not trade comrie for a guy that "could use a change of scenery" or "has big potential, but just hasnt lived up to it yet"..... this is EXACTLY what we dont need..... what we DO need is a LEGIT top 6 forward or a LEGIT top 3 dman..... i capitalized "legit" because we need something that is a "for sure" thing, because you know that comrie is going to score his 20+ goals and 35+ assists each year for the team that gets him, so why shouldnt we get something just as good back?
You're a dreamer. You think it's just as easy as that? Maybe you should give you head a shake. Some posters have been suggesting Frolov and that's all he has is potential. Comrie and Winter have pretty handcuffed the Oilers. What do you want? Do you think the other GMs in the league are idiots? Based on your post, I guess you do. Hey, I know, maybethey should try and get Naslund out of Vcr? Or maybe Sakic out of Colorado? Yeah that's it. Maybe Hossa out of Ottawa.

C'mon.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Mr Sakich

the atlanta rumour makes a lot of sense. Check out their dwindling attendance and you can see that they are a team that will HAVE to make a move in the near future. Comrie is the right age for them as well. The oilers have a long history of trading for guys who were high draft picks but had not got their careers' going yet.

IMO, if it is a comrie for stefan and coburn, then this is the first of two trades that lowe will be making. Adding stefan to our allready crowded forward ranks means someone else has to go.

maybe izzy, laraque, horcoff or rita for a defense prospect???

Old
11-03-2003, 07:37 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You're a dreamer. You think it's just as easy as that? Maybe you should give you head a shake. Some posters have been suggesting Frolov and that's all he has is potential. Comrie and Winter have pretty handcuffed the Oilers. What do you want? Do you think the other GMs in the league are idiots? Based on your post, I guess you do. Hey, I know, maybethey should try and get Naslund out of Vcr? Or maybe Sakic out of Colorado? Yeah that's it. Maybe Hossa out of Ottawa.

C'mon.
You also can't settle for Stefan either... not for a player like Comrie. You just can't hand away assets like that. If comrie was 29, I would consider it... but he isn't.

The guy has already proven he can be a top 2 line player, and he has shown that he can carry a team. The last thing you want is to have him racking up 80 points on another team, while you are sitting there with a 4th line concussion, and a defensive prospect who may only turn out to be a #4 d-man in the future (hypothetically).

Old
11-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:

C'mon.
Exactly - some people think that teams are lining up to give us a bigger scoring center for MC - yeah right No way any team does that so we have to be willing to accept some risk in any deal. Size does matter and MC does not have that asset.

Stefan and Coburn works for me - Stefan can help now and we need a prospect like Coburn in the system. I really don't think MC gets us both guys though - we would have to add someone like Rita into the deal. With Heatley out Atlanta could probably use a guy like Rita and we need a center more than another young LW.

Rita = Stefan (both considered somewhat disappointing)

Comrie = Coburn (maybe Atlanta throws in a 2nd or 3rd rounder)

My favorite deal is still MC for Blackburn

Old
11-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Heika claims the Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Florida Panthers interest in Comrie has "cooled", predominantly due to his contract demands for over $4 million per season.

I don't buy this. If you believe his contract demands are $4 million a year now, then you've believed it for months. I don't think all these teams were gung ho about Comrie up until this week, and then said "4 mil? Well then, that changes everything." I'd think GMs are a little more informed than that.

I think these teams are still interested, or never were.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:16 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Heika claims the Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Florida Panthers interest in Comrie has "cooled", predominantly due to his contract demands for over $4 million per season.

I don't buy this. If you believe his contract demands are $4 million a year now, then you've believed it for months. I don't think all these teams were gung ho about Comrie up until this week, and then said "4 mil? Well then, that changes everything." I'd think GMs are a little more informed than that.

I think these teams are still interested, or never were.

Exactly. This dude who wrote this crap must think that GMs only come out of a hole once a week for an hour to talk with other GMs then must return to their hole for another week so that they can't find out anything or get anything done!

Old
11-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
You also can't settle for Stefan either... not for a player like Comrie. You just can't hand away assets like that. If comrie was 29, I would consider it... but he isn't.

The guy has already proven he can be a top 2 line player, and he has shown that he can carry a team. The last thing you want is to have him racking up 80 points on another team, while you are sitting there with a 4th line concussion, and a defensive prospect who may only turn out to be a #4 d-man in the future (hypothetically).
I agree I guess. My point was I don't think the Oilers are going to hit the jackpot like some fans think they will. And in all honestly, can we make a proper assessment of Stefan based on his short NHL career to date, playing most of it on a mediocre team? And Stefan will be alot more useful to the Oilers than Comrie is by holding out. I think if you put Stefan with Dvo and York, you may have a pretty good line.

When the Oilers traded Carter, people were freaking out because they got Dvorak. Well, based on Dvo's past few games, that deal wasn't that bad. Point is, they traded Carter for Dvorak's potential and hoped that a change of scenery would do him good. I don't think it worked out to bad for the OIlers to date.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:25 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
I agree I guess. My point was I don't think the Oilers are going to hit the jackpot like some fans think they will. And in all honestly, can we make a proper assessment of Stefan based on his short NHL career to date, playing most of it on a mediocre team? And Stefan will be alot more useful to the Oilers than Comrie is by holding out. I think if you put Stefan with Dvo and York, you may have a pretty good line.

When the Oilers traded Carter, people were freaking out because they got Dvorak. Well, based on Dvo's past few games, that deal wasn't that bad. Point is, they traded Carter for Dvorak's potential and hoped that a change of scenery would do him good. I don't think it worked out to bad for the OIlers to date.
Kind of... the Oilers also knew what they were getting in Dvorak as well... excellent speed, solid 2 way game, willing to play physical, creates chances... those are all things the Oilers were expecting out of him, and they were hoping those factors translated into success...

What exactly does Stefan do? What has he shown? IMO... he isn't a whole lot different from Cleary. Great potential, but what does he bring you? I am not being snippy, I just honestly want to know... and after those questions...

Is it really worth giving 60 points of production to an opposing team? I know they are in a different conference, but it doesn't mean it is smart to hand them stuff.

Closed Thread