HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie spectors rumors

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 08:30 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Kind of... the Oilers also knew what they were getting in Dvorak as well... excellent speed, solid 2 way game, willing to play physical, creates chances... those are all things the Oilers were expecting out of him, and they were hoping those factors translated into success...

What exactly does Stefan do? What has he shown? IMO... he isn't a whole lot different from Cleary. Great potential, but what does he bring you? I am not being snippy, I just honestly want to know... and after those questions...

Is it really worth giving 60 points of production to an opposing team? I know they are in a different conference, but it doesn't mean it is smart to hand them stuff.
Well, for one Stefan is much bigger and would meet our teams big center need. two he has GREATLY superior skill to Cleary, to mention them together is a stretch. three defensively he is good, and that is what this team really needs.

I don't mind him at all and think that he would fit in good with the OIlers and their demanding fans and organization would be good for him as so far it seems that complacency is his biggest enemy.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
dem

Id rather have Marty Reasoner centering our top lines.
Stefan is junk.. simple as that.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Rita = Stefan (both considered somewhat disappointing)

Comrie = Coburn (maybe Atlanta throws in a 2nd or 3rd rounder)

My favorite deal is still MC for Blackburn
I used to be game for the Stefan/Coburn trade combo, but the more I read about Stefan from Thrashers fans posting here and from what little I've seen of him on TV, the less I like. He's got the stench of au de BUST all over him, the next Doug Wickenheiser and/or Brian Lawton.

What about a proposal of Comrie for Coburn and Exelby or Hurme?

Old
11-03-2003, 08:42 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well, for one Stefan is much bigger and would meet our teams big center need. two he has GREATLY superior skill to Cleary, to mention them together is a stretch. three defensively he is good, and that is what this team really needs.

I don't mind him at all and think that he would fit in good with the OIlers and their demanding fans and organization would be good for him as so far it seems that complacency is his biggest enemy.
A big centre isn't what the Oilers need... the Oilers need a big centre who can contribute offensively.

His greatly superior skill has resulted in 18 less career points in 14 more career games compared to Cleary.

Reasoner and Horcoff are good defensively as well... so is York. The Oilers need someone who can fill the net.

Complacency was Cleary's biggest problem too... demanding fans don't cure that, a work ethic does. The Oilers have enough "projects" on the go (Izzy, Cross, Dvo), another one doesn't help them.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

If it is a tif between MacT and M.Comrie, then fire MacT. I like the guy, but he has some coaching malfunctions. For example, when Detroit went up 3-2 and then 4-2 on Saturday, even when they tied it 2-2, why the hell didnt he call a timeout, this is elementary coaching, you call a timeout, regain composure and settle things down. he didnt do that, he should've called a timeout after 2-2, and at 4-2, he should have pulled Salo, these are simple decisions a coach needs to make, and time and time again, he doesn't make them.

Also, someone will have to confirm this but I heard that our coach in Toronto is offensive minded, is this right, because if it is shouldnt we have an offensive minded coach on the big club too, to make the transition easier for the kids??

Old
11-03-2003, 10:18 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Heika claims the Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Thrashers and Florida Panthers interest in Comrie has "cooled", predominantly due to his contract demands for over $4 million per season.

I don't buy this. If you believe his contract demands are $4 million a year now, then you've believed it for months. I don't think all these teams were gung ho about Comrie up until this week, and then said "4 mil? Well then, that changes everything." I'd think GMs are a little more informed than that.

I think these teams are still interested, or never were.
This is the second time I have heard the 4million dollar figure Mike Russo of Florida stated it before and sited it as the deterrent to making a move to acquire him . I hope that is not what Comrie is asking for he is hard to sell at that price and I don't see how he can justify that kind of money to himself considering Havlat signed for considerably less and is of equal or very simlair talent. I guess we'll see, I don't feel a deal is immenent personally but you never know. I would still be estactic with a Comrie+ a little for Coburn+Stefan, I feel confident that Stefan can suceed here and hopefully we can milk the 99 draft for a little more as it seems to have been quite good for us. Coburn would gives the elite d-prospect we have been missing man the guy has a 4.0GPA and is up for the Valedictorian while remaining one of the brightest young d-men coming up, thats a sick amount of talent and work ethic to be able to dedicate himself to two time consuming things and be so succesful at both. The size he adds to our d would make us a very feared and hard hitting+large defense(all players 6ft2 and up and over 200lbs)

Brewer-Semenov
Lynch-Coburn
Greene-K.Smith/Cross(veteran leadership with size)/Luoma/Allen

we can trade Staios+Smith+Bergeron when we feel comfortable to do so for more prospects(as always ) or help filling a few holes in our hopefully stanley cup contender.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:38 AM
mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Exactly - some people think that teams are lining up to give us a bigger scoring center for MC - yeah right No way any team does that so we have to be willing to accept some risk in any deal. Size does matter and MC does not have that asset.

Stefan and Coburn works for me - Stefan can help now and we need a prospect like Coburn in the system. I really don't think MC gets us both guys though - we would have to add someone like Rita into the deal. With Heatley out Atlanta could probably use a guy like Rita and we need a center more than another young LW.

Rita = Stefan (both considered somewhat disappointing)

Comrie = Coburn (maybe Atlanta throws in a 2nd or 3rd rounder)

My favorite deal is still MC for Blackburn
with all due respect asiaoil there is no way comrie = coburn

propects are prospects becuase they havent played in the nhl, comrie has not only played in the nhl he has more then exceled for his age, yes he is a whiner but everyone who holds out in edmonton becomes a whiner,

rita i doubt would get stefan alone as both are still considered busts up to this date

coburn is just a minor upgrade over cross in my opinion, if he wasnt so tall im not sure he would have been drafted so highly, let alone come up in trade rumors before he has even set foot on the ice,

he was a major disappointment at summer evaluation camps against peers his equal caliber

finally i agree although the rangers have hardly anything left id welcome a blackburn tjtuin comrie trade in a heartbeat

regards

Old
11-03-2003, 11:23 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugu
with all due respect asiaoil there is no way comrie = coburn

propects are prospects becuase they havent played in the nhl, comrie has not only played in the nhl he has more then exceled for his age, yes he is a whiner but everyone who holds out in edmonton becomes a whiner,

rita i doubt would get stefan alone as both are still considered busts up to this date

coburn is just a minor upgrade over cross in my opinion, if he wasnt so tall im not sure he would have been drafted so highly, let alone come up in trade rumors before he has even set foot on the ice,

he was a major disappointment at summer evaluation camps against peers his equal caliber

finally i agree although the rangers have hardly anything left id welcome a blackburn tjtuin comrie trade in a heartbeat

regards
Are you saying no prospect is worth Comrie? In other words you would not trade Comrie for Lehtonen?who by in large has greater value than Comrie. Coburn>(slighlty)Cross woahhhh um can plz explain that to me a little more on your reasoning for that assesment one average or even slighlty subpar training camp does not instantly make him Cory freakin' Cross. Comrie for Blackburn +Tjutin? haha in our oildrop coloured dreams perhaps, but not a chance that would ever happen in reality. Am I like the last person on Earth to know that Savard was injured(just found out) that could make things very interesting k I take back no imminent movement coming the trade will happen tomorrow(hopefully probably dependant on the results of Savard's MRI) Savard has been playing 25min+ a game they will ruin there great season opening real quick with him out of the line-up and apparently attendance is dwindling(jeez I thought the Snyder+Heatley tragedy would spike attendance) I think Atlanta fans wants some playoffs now or a team that can get them there, hopefully resulting in a lop-sided trade in our benefit. I guess the Savard injury is what got Atlanta to say they want to talk specific in a deal hmmm Comrie+nothing for Coburn+Stefan now there is the ticket.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:45 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Are you saying no prospect is worth Comrie? In other words you would not trade Comrie for Lehtonen?who by in large has greater value than Comrie. Coburn>(slighlty)Cross woahhhh um can plz explain that to me a little more on your reasoning for that assesment one average or even slighlty subpar training camp does not instantly make him Cory freakin' Cross. Comrie for Blackburn +Tjutin? haha in our oildrop coloured dreams perhaps, but not a chance that would ever happen in reality. Am I like the last person on Earth to know that Savard was injured(just found out) that could make things very interesting k I take back no imminent movement coming the trade will happen tomorrow(hopefully probably dependant on the results of Savard's MRI) Savard has been playing 25min+ a game they will ruin there great season opening real quick with him out of the line-up and apparently attendance is dwindling(jeez I thought the Snyder+Heatley tragedy would spike attendance) I think Atlanta fans wants some playoffs now or a team that can get them there, hopefully resulting in a lop-sided trade in our benefit. I guess the Savard injury is what got Atlanta to say they want to talk specific in a deal hmmm Comrie+nothing for Coburn+Stefan now there is the ticket.

Speaking of Lehtonen, I'd be just fine with Comrie for Lehtonen. How about it Atlanta?

Old
11-03-2003, 11:48 AM
mugu

Quote:
okay firstly my apologies i should have been more clear,

comrie for lehtonen i would trade but not in a heartbeat, ive seen lehtonen play roughly 25-30 last year in the finnish league as ive been in europe for the last couple of years mostly in sweden, also becasue lehtonen has played pro hockey in a league which id say is better then the ahl id have to say he is more of a tweener now then a pure prospect

ive watched coburn play since he was in aaa and just recently again a lot although he has been dominant at times he has been equally unimpressive at times, so its not a judgement on one camp, the fact that atlanta should this rumor even be true is willing to trade him as he has just been drafted should speak volumes of there thoughts of development value after seeing him in camp, im merely saying that he plays a similar game to cross your not going to get the next pronger out him, he is a defensive defencemen who juist makes simple plays, ie cross he may one day prove to be better

lastly you dont trade away young 20+ goal scorers when you are a small market team you keep them and make them play for you or you get something amazing in return, simple aseet management id expect comrie to be rotting for a while

incdentally id like your reasoning as too why you think comrie for blackburn and tjtuin is so far fetched, and i agree itll never happen but just for arguments sake

best wishes

Old
11-03-2003, 12:13 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugu
incidentally id like your reasoning as too why you think comrie for blackburn and tjtuin is so far fetched, and i agree itll never happen but just for arguments sake
K fair enough reasoning on Coburn but there is nothing wrong with smart defense men who make the "simple plays" I am sure MacT would like Brewer doing just that a lot more often.

K I feel the Tjutin+Blackburn for Comrie trade is simple enough to explain basically NY's needs do not dictate this sort of a trade value aside because it is obviously not equal value. Dunham is 31 and probably has about 4 years of no.1 calibre goaltending in him NY has no foreseeable starter aside from Blackburn in the future he is far from ruined like many NYR prospects and is widely considered to be one of the top young goalie prospects and should be more than capable of holding down the starting postition in the coming years and for the foreseeable longterm future of the NYR franchise. Simply NYR's d sucks some a$$ and Tjutin is one of their great hopes and is highly coveted he will not be traded because their need for him is too great and with Leetch retiring they will have an absolutely appauling d-corps. New York currently has no need for a center as they are quite stong in that position next year there may be a need but next year is next year and I am sure an equally appealing center will be available from someone else that they can sink there teeth into if need be.Need for future starting goaltender+ top 4 d-man> greater than small center who they would have trouble squeezing into their current line-up.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:44 PM
mugu

Quote:
K fair enough reasoning on Coburn but there is nothing wrong with smart defense men who make the "simple plays" I am sure MacT would like Brewer doing just that a lot more often.

K I feel the Tjutin+Blackburn for Comrie trade is simple enough to explain basically NY's needs do not dictate this sort of a trade value aside because it is obviously not equal value. Dunham is 31 and probably has about 4 years of no.1 calibre goaltending in him NY has no foreseeable starter aside from Blackburn in the future he is far from ruined like many NYR prospects and is widely considered to be one of the top young goalie prospects and should be more than capable of holding down the starting postition in the coming years and for the foreseeable longterm future of the NYR franchise. Simply NYR's d sucks some a$$ and Tjutin is one of their great hopes and is highly coveted he will not be traded because their need for him is too great and with Leetch retiring they will have an absolutely appauling d-corps. New York currently has no need for a center as they are quite stong in that position next year there may be a need but next year is next year and I am sure an equally appealing center will be available from someone else that they can sink there teeth into if need be.Need for future starting goaltender+ top 4 d-man> greater than small center who they would have trouble squeezing into their current line-up.
agreed on your points regarding coburn i occasionally have yelled at the odd dmen to make simplier plays

here is my reasoning behind the trade and again to reiterate i agree with you that this trade is far fetched but as strictly a fan of the oilers i would love for it to happen

BLACKBURN
(you worte)
Dunham is 31 and probably has about 4 years of no.1 calibre goaltending in him NY has no foreseeable starter aside from Blackburn in the future he is far from ruined like many NYR prospects and is widely considered to be one of the top young goalie prospects and should be more than capable of holding down the starting postition in the coming years and for the foreseeable longterm future of the NYR franchise

(my thoughts)
agreed on all points for a reasonable to low budget team, when dunham retires or is no longer servicable they will simply purchase a goalie off the markets unless blackburn absloutly takes it away from whomever is out on the markets at that time-rangers do not devlope players and unless there is a cap will never need to, ive liked him since he was 11 and he stoned the peewee team i was coaching as a an 11 yr old and won the tourney mvp to boot, he was an awesome prospect and may still be a good nhl goalie

tjutin
(you wrote)
Simply NYR's d sucks some a$$ and Tjutin is one of their great hopes and is highly coveted he will not be traded because their need for him is too great and with Leetch retiring they will have an absolutely appauling d-corps.

(my thoughts)
agreed, tjtuin is a stay at home banging dman though not an offen dman

anyways we digress from the original post so ill stop here but thanks for the discussion

best wishes
jb

Old
11-03-2003, 02:01 PM
FacelessButcher

THRASHERS SEEK A SCORING FORWARD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector's Hockey
ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION: Guy Curtright reports Thrashers GM Don Waddell desire to land a scoring forward has increased after centre Marc Savard sprained his ankle over the weekend. Waddell says he's willing to part with "a defenseman, a goaltender or draft choices if the deal makes sense." He admits to contacting Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe about Mike Comrie, but while Lowe would prefer moving Comrie to an Eastern Conference club, Waddell says Lowe is still "assessing his situation". The Thrashers could move either Byron Dafoe or Jani Hurme and it's believed they're also shopping Patrik Stefan.

Spector's Note: The Oilers could use an upgrade between the pipes, but Dafoe's contract is too pricey and he'd only be available for one year. Hurme's a decent backup but they need someone who can take over as a starter if Tommy Salo continues to stumble. Stefan won't be enough to bring Comrie to Atlanta, but as noted in yesterday's Ottawa Sun, the Oilers might have interest in Thrashers prospect Braydon Coburn. And don't forget about Comrie reportedly seeking over $4 mil per season. That might cool the Thrashers interest.
Someone already posted this but it did not have Spectors insight, well it appears to be heating up. Wadel has had an interest in Comrie ever since the start of Comrie trade talks and appears to be stepping up with better offers and seems to want to get the deal done sooner rather than later.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:37 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
Maybe I'm alone but I would definitly look at a deal involving Frolov he has offensive skills that very few on our roster have Frolov and a Defensive prospect would do it for me I think the kid would be great on a line with Hemsky giving Hemmer that trype of 1 time finisher that could really excell with him. he's young, big and has great offensive upside.
No you're not alone goldenchild.
First of all I hope Frolov isn't going anywhere, I would be appalled.
Second, everybody talks abouth his offensive upside but his defensive game is excellent. He really plays well in his own end, last year +12 and this year already +5, besides you can hardly knock him off the puck. Imagine what he will be over two years with more lbs.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:10 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
Imagine what he will be over two years with more lbs.
A great player for the Oilers. I don't see the Oilers getting Frolov either. They will most likely trade to the East anyways.

Closed Thread