HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers among teams turned downed by Kenny

Old
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Rangers among teams turned downed by Kenny

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...822588,00.html

Rangers where among the 10 teams who made a bid for Kenny Jönsson. The offers ranged from 3-4m per year.

I was somewhat suprised by the fact that Ottawa also had made a bid in that pricerange.

Kenny have turned down all offers and wants to finnish next year in Sweden.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Labeling someone the next Gretzky is the kiss of future mediocrity

Kinda like when they label the young promising songwriter the next Dylan.

They always end up being promising...good...but we never get another Blood On The Tracks

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
shoothepuck

He's had his offers, he's made his decision, move on.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Nich

blood on the track new york addition is by far the best dylan cd ever....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Ola

The article says Kenny turns down Gretzky, meaning he had a offer from Phoenix. Don't know if anyone misunderstood something, it was nothing about him beeing the next Gretzky. He is over 30 y/o and a D.

Old
05-09-2006, 10:05 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
3-4 million? Isn't that a little steep for a D-man who could never seem to pull it all together?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
3-4 million? Isn't that a little steep for a D-man who could never seem to pull it all together?
He was a fantastic d-man.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Fletch

Wow...

$3-4 million for a guy who hasn't played much in the last couple seasons, and wasn't worth $4 million in the old NHL. Glad he didn't bite.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:19 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
$3-4 million for a guy who hasn't played much in the last couple seasons, and wasn't worth $4 million in the old NHL. Glad he didn't bite.
I'd definately pay 3M for his services. The guy would be great in today's NHL. Extremely mobile, fast, and great hockey instincts.

Old
05-10-2006, 01:42 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
He was a fantastic d-man.

im a rangers fan and he was very underrated, just too much head injuries, and he is not a physical player, he dont shy away from contact though, he is a smart dman, id take him over cream puff Poti, I hope Sather tries to get Rachunek over here, say what u want, but hed be our best pp option right now.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 02:20 AM
WheresBarnaby

great if Ottawa's throwin that kind of money around, looks like our chances for Chara or Redden are that much worse.

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 05-10-2006 at 04:48 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 04:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby
great if Ottawa's throwin that kind of money around, looks like are chances for Chara or Redden are that much worse.
That defenitly caught my attention. IF the article where correct, and in this case there are no reason not to belive it, Ottawa where one of the teams who seriously pursued Jönsson. It mention one group who had interest in him, and one serious group who wanted to get it done. Ottawa where one of them. If the Sens are willing to sign him to that amount they must have given up on keeping Chara and Redden already.

Old
05-10-2006, 04:53 AM
WheresBarnaby

I was actually saying the opposite, that maybe they had enough cap room to sign both of them and still go for Jonsson. Hmm this is interesting, you may have a point though Ola. Would they split up a D that's already working for them though?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby
I was actually saying the opposite, that maybe they had enough cap room to sign both of them and still go for Jonsson. Hmm this is interesting, you may have a point though Ola. Would they split up a D that's already working for them though?
I think they where looking to sign Jönsson to replace one of Chara and Redden. If they get everyone to cut a little money its possible they might afford everyone on paper, but I don't think its possible to run a team without any caproom left. You must have a million or 2 in case of injurys ect.

Its belived that Redden will get around 5 million per year, and Chara at 7.5. If they could have signed Jönsson to a 3 million contract its a pretty big gap. And Kenney is better then ever, two years only playing 2nd tier hockey in Sweden have given him a chance to be in perfect shape and healty for the first time in a really long time.

Though, it must be added that there are some other possible scenarios, like the reporter misunderstanding stuff or the agent lying to him. But at the same time, in this case, the agent have nothing to gain on making up stuff like this. Kenny have already decided to play in Sweden this year.

A example, Mariuz Czerkawski had a awful year in the SEL last season. He was still unsigned in early august. I heard some rumors that he might sign and play in Swiss or retire. Then all of a sudden there where a article in another Swedish paper, with a headline like "Several top NHL teams after Czerkawski". The reporter had talked with Marres agent who said Detroit, Rangers, Philly and several other big teams in the NHL where after Czerkawski. It didn't make any sense at all at the time that we would have been after Czerkawski. Philly had to cut cap room and defenitly wheren't in a position to sign someone. Though not long after that I saw reports that we among others where after Czerkawski in North America, then after a about a week Mariuz signed a contract with Toronto. He showed up and completly sucked of course since he haven't cared about hockey in a long time, but his agent got him that deal by lying to a Swedish reporter.

On Ottawa, another reason that they made a bid for him could of course have been like, if they could have signed him cheap they would only have signed one of Z/Redden, if not they will try to keep both and move Havlat. Or stuff like that. But I still find it more likely that they have given up on keeping both already.

Old
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd definately pay 3M for his services. The guy would be great in today's NHL. Extremely mobile, fast, and great hockey instincts.

Yeah, on the Island, Hamrlik and Aucoin used to get all the attention. But, it was Kenny J that was the guy the Isles turned to in every crucial sitatuion. And, it is not concidence that several players went on to have career years as Kenny's partner.

The Isles were able to replace Hamrlik (with Zhitnik) and they'll eventually replace Aucoin. But, they'll never completely recover from the loss of KJ.

And, yeah, he'd be great for the Rangers.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yeah, on the Island, Hamrlik and Aucoin used to get all the attention. But, it was Kenny J that was the guy the Isles turned to in every crucial sitatuion. And, it is not concidence that several players went on to have career years as Kenny's partner.

The Isles were able to replace Hamrlik (with Zhitnik) and they'll eventually replace Aucoin. But, they'll never completely recover from the loss of KJ.

And, yeah, he'd be great for the Rangers.
Yep. The guy was ridiculously underrated. Criminally.

Old
05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Ola

Quote:
Yep. The guy was ridiculously underrated. Criminally.
One of ESPN's reporters (I think it was that John Bu* something) once said he had voted on Jönsson to get the Norris 4 times. I don't know about that. Though I think right now that he is atleast as good as Thomas Kaberle for example.

Old
05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
OldBlueSeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Its belived that Redden will get around 5 million per year, and Chara at 7.5
I could be wrong but I doubt Chara gets 7.5 million, Im betting on 4 to 5 million for each of the X Islanders and that includesMcCabe... man did milbury do a great job over there or what?

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
NYR1724

Niedermayer got around $6.5 last year.. so I expect Chara to get in the same range.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueSeats
I could be wrong but I doubt Chara gets 7.5 million, Im betting on 4 to 5 million for each of the X Islanders and that includesMcCabe... man did milbury do a great job over there or what?
I think that 7.5 is reasonable for Chara, but I don't see why Redden would get 2.5 less

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote