HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hab Notes

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 04:13 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Hab Notes

BG will shake this ship up very shortly in my opinion. We have too many players, who take too many nights off. We lack size, heart, and an identity, and BG doesn`t look like the guy who will sit back and do nothing. I expect a bomb to drop shortly.

Koivu is back to the Koivu of old. I am not bashing him or want him traded , but let`s face the facts HE IS A VERY INJURY PRONE PLAYER
who really has only given us 1 1/2 years of productive play. I am not
questioning his skill or heart, but I Think we put this guy on pedestal too many times, and at 29 I personally think, he won`t lead us anywhere.

We have too many players who are the same and there isn`t a chance in hell, will all be with us . KASTY,PEREZ,PLEKS,BALEJ, can`t be on
our top 2 lines in the future, something has to give here. Higgins will be
Juneau`s replacement , the third and fourth lines aren`t too difficult to fill with Ryder, Ward, etc..

if we play hockey next year, we have many holes to fill with veterans
not returning. It is this point , that BG will do something, you don`t wan`t 6-8 new faces in your lineup , all at once next year or after.
It is too much of a transition to absorb.
THE QUESTION IS WILL GAINEY GO MORE TOWARDS YOUTH, OR HE IS
GOING TO GIVE IT UP FOR 25-28 YEAR OLD COMMODITIES?

Old
11-03-2003, 04:53 AM
Darz

I really don't think Gainey will abandon the youth movement we have going on right now. I think he would look at any trade option that would be considered a plus for the future, but i really don't think you'll see him trading prospects or young players for older players. Just doesn't make sense imo, unless he feels that young player or prospect isn't going to evolve into an NHL player, or another team may be overvaluing that particular player.
I also have a feeling BG will be making some sort of move in the near future. I have a feeling it will not be a major move but more a minor shakeup.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Joe Cole

geeman...about your note

Koivu is 29. That is not past the age of a guy who can lead a team. 29 is not 39. I do believe that Koivu is one of the only Habs with enough respoect in the league to have a worthwhile trade profile, but I would be very hesitant to trade him. I agree he is injury prone....but would he be between a Bertuzzi-type and a Naslund type? He thinks he has to do it all alone, and on many shifts...he is right.

Also I agree with Darz, trading picks or prospects is not going to happen.

My 2 cents, only one small man on the team. Choose one. We have Koivu, Perreault, Ribs, Audette, Juneau, Dackell. That is 6 of the top 12 forwards.......

Didja ever think taht maybe this is why Koivu gets hurt?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:19 AM
messy_eh

Question and i guess sort of a proposal. Do you think BG would be interested in Comrie. He doesn't have the size you guys want but he does have the heart and skill. and maybe you can get a guy like Isbister included. he does have size and skill when he decides to use it. I don't know what it would take to get these guys but I do feel Komisarek would have to be the starting point with Comrie. What do you think it would take?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander
Question and i guess sort of a proposal. Do you think BG would be interested in Comrie. He doesn't have the size you guys want but he does have the heart and skill. and maybe you can get a guy like Isbister included. he does have size and skill when he decides to use it. I don't know what it would take to get these guys but I do feel Komisarek would have to be the starting point with Comrie. What do you think it would take?
I would love to see Comrie in Montreal, but not for the price it would take to get him here.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I would love to see Comrie in Montreal, but not for the price it would take to get him here.
Do you think we need another undersized center? Hasn't that experiment proved unsuccessful yet?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:00 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
geeman...about your note

Koivu is 29. That is not past the age of a guy who can lead a team. 29 is not 39. I do believe that Koivu is one of the only Habs with enough respoect in the league to have a worthwhile trade profile, but I would be very hesitant to trade him. I agree he is injury prone....but would he be between a Bertuzzi-type and a Naslund type? He thinks he has to do it all alone, and on many shifts...he is right.

Also I agree with Darz, trading picks or prospects is not going to happen.

My 2 cents, only one small man on the team. Choose one. We have Koivu, Perreault, Ribs, Audette, Juneau, Dackell. That is 6 of the top 12 forwards.......

Didja ever think taht maybe this is why Koivu gets hurt?
I hear you Joe Cole, all I am saying about Koivu is when are we going to see 2-3 solid years in a row , where frankly he earns his keep and stays healthy. At some point when do you say to yourself when are we going to get the best out someone. I don`t think he ever will .

Old
11-03-2003, 07:09 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
Koivu is back to the Koivu of old. I am not bashing him or want him traded , but let`s face the facts HE IS A VERY INJURY PRONE PLAYER who really has only given us 1 1/2 years of productive play. I am not questioning his skill or heart, but I Think we put this guy on pedestal too many times, and at 29 I personally think, he won`t lead us anywhere.
I think it is easy to see the number of games lost to injury during Saku's career, but let's remember it is often a result of how he plays the game. He is small, but plays big and with big heart. No one can ever doubt his resolve or work ethic. Against bigger players, this can lead to injuries. Does this change how he comes to play every game...no way. And that to me, is much needed leadership that is missing with a lot of the current lineup. I wish I could consistently see more of this in all our players.

The other intangible is that not only does Saku's absence hurt the team, but other players look so much better with him in the lineup. Zed is the best case in point. He looked good out there with Saku as his linemate, something that he hasn't been able to reproduce with Ribs with any consistency. Come back soon little General.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Uh, Saku would get hurt even when he had good linemates from 1996-98. He had a few injuries, one major knee one, with linemates such as Recchi, Bure and Savage. Better ones than he had last year, although Zednik was better than Bure and Savage ever had been. Usually on the other wing, it was a loser such as Czerkawski or Audette. He did thrive with a bigger man up there in Kilger, though.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Do you think we need another undersized center? Hasn't that experiment proved unsuccessful yet?
Imo, if we had Koivu and Comrie as our top two line centres we would be alot better off than we are now. Now I'm not saying having all our top forwards lacking in the size department is a good idea, but if we could have two young talented centres like Koivu and Comrie and surround them with good wingers we would have no troubles with our top two lines. Koivu, imo, can be a #1 centre in this league, and Comrie sure the heck could be a great #2.
It's a mute point mind you, because the habs would never surrender the bounty it would take to acquire him.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander
I honestly can't see a team, well maybe the Rangers, who would give up one of the best prospects in league for Comrie. Small, soft, contract holdout, character issue guys who even though they can put up points, do not have great trade value.

I think people might be surprised what Comrie goes for, i very well could be wrong, but I personally wouldn't trade Komisarek for Comrie straight up. From a Montreal point of view, Ribeiro and 3rd is probably all I would offer or possible Zednik. Edmonton fans probably wouldn't like it, but Comrie has got way more baggage than teams want especially heading into the new CBA.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
Uh, Saku would get hurt even when he had good linemates from 1996-98. He had a few injuries, one major knee one, with linemates such as Recchi, Bure and Savage. Better ones than he had last year, although Zednik was better than Bure and Savage ever had been. Usually on the other wing, it was a loser such as Czerkawski or Audette. He did thrive with a bigger man up there in Kilger, though.

I don't think its necessarily good linemates, it is a matter of the right linemates. Koivu is forced to do the dirty work, and has no type a guy on his line that is willing to drop the gloves every once in a while. People will take runs at him, and he has to always work the boards because his linemates haven't protected him nor helped him out much in the physical aspects of the game.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13

I think people might be surprised what Comrie goes for, i very well could be wrong, but I personally wouldn't trade Komisarek for Comrie straight up. From a Montreal point of view, Ribeiro and 3rd is probably all I would offer or possible Zednik. Edmonton fans probably wouldn't like it, but Comrie has got way more baggage than teams want especially heading into the new CBA.
No, I definately wouldn't want to see Montreal give up Komisarek for Comrie.
I would trade Ribiero, a 3rd rounder and maybe a 2nd tier prospect for him though.

Closed Thread