HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are you cheering for the habs?

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Black Ozz

vCash: 500
Why are you cheering for the habs?

Just to know why the users here like the Habs instead of another NHL team.

Personnaly, I've liked the habs since I was old enough to watch ok on tv, and being from New-Brunswick the habs were pretty much the only team Igot to see on Tv.

I also like the habs because of the tradition.

WHAT ABOUT YOU GUYS?

Old
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Rahan

I've been a fan ever since I started skating at like 6 years old, that's when my interest for hockey began. At that point I only knew about the Montreal Canadiens since I'm from Saguenay (a region of the province of Quebec) and that's about all we heard about in sports.

But what I like about this team is that it's a Quebec product, there are a lot of Quebec players, and it has the best history.

I also find it more exciting to cheer for the "home" team.. (which is a 6 hours drive away from me unfortunately) for some reason.

That's about it..

Old
11-01-2003, 03:49 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I was born into it!
My dad was a habs fan, and he passed it to my brother, and since everyone always wanted to be like their older brother or dad, I started liking the Canadiens. The more passionate I got about hockey, the more I liked the habs!

Old
11-01-2003, 04:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
My grand father was a Leafs fan and my dad was a habs fan, maybe to piss him off, I really don't know. So I just became a habs fan by default I guess. I was born at the beginning of the seaon of the cup in 85-86

Old
11-01-2003, 04:23 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I was born into it!
My dad was a habs fan, and he passed it to my brother, and since everyone always wanted to be like their older brother or dad, I started liking the Canadiens. The more passionate I got about hockey, the more I liked the habs!
Instead of posting the exact same post, I'll just second your notion.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
First team I saw and started following. Haven't felt the need to switch up teams yet.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:56 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I moved to Montreal when I was 5, spent 10 years there, and grew up around the great teams of the 70's and really can't imagine ever cheering for any other team, although I live thousand of miles away right now. I have already seen 1 pre-season and 2 regular season games so far this season...you never stop cheering (even with the threat of the grey hairs outnumbering the wins!!).

Old
11-01-2003, 05:37 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
I was born into it!
Your story sounds just like mine with my dad.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ozz
Just to know why the users here like the Habs instead of another NHL team.

Personnaly, I've liked the habs since I was old enough to watch ok on tv, and being from New-Brunswick the habs were pretty much the only team Igot to see on Tv.

I also like the habs because of the tradition.

WHAT ABOUT YOU GUYS?
For the same reason I've kept the same girlfriend for 5 years: too lazy to change.

Kidding, I actually love my girlfriend

Old
11-01-2003, 07:07 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good, Nice And Warm
For the same reason I've kept the same girlfriend for 5 years: too lazy to change.

Kidding, I actually love my girlfriend
She was in the room when you wrote this wasn't she?

Old
11-01-2003, 07:33 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Because my Nordiques are gone and the Habs are the only team left in Quebec.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Because they're just the most storied franchise in hockey. Won me a cup in my first year as a fan in 1993. And have been hell to follow ever since. This is the most boring, talentless, gutless of all Hab teams (last year's was even worse than 00-01 because back then they were hurt and full of AHL'ers) I have ever seen. That said, they still have time to turn it around but it does not look promising. At least the kids play so we can see the shining lights that will hopefully bring this club back to a playoff-every-year rate like the 1971-94 days.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:29 PM
pepchew

I was a young kid during the dynasty of the late 70's. We didn't have a team in Calgary at that time and there was just no question as to which team ruled hockey. This and the fact that I played street hockey with 2 older boys on my block and they constantly fed me information on the orginization. My dad liked was always a Leafs fan, but they were just not the kind of team to catch a boy's attention. When the Flames came to town, I followed them but the Habs have always had a hold on me (I knew this for sure when I couldn't cheer against them in the 86 playoffs). I feel bad for the Flames recent woes and I'd like to see them do better, but never at the expenss of Montreal.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
I like the history and tradition, but mostly it is because as a child, my Dad cheered for the Habs and always has. I always will too.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:35 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
My dad and both grampas were HAbs fan. So I am a habs fan. It was closest team to Gatineau so. Now theres the Sens but I would be classless of me to switch teams now. Real hockey fans pick a team and stick with it. Unless your sellouts and go straight for the best team each time. Those are not real hockey fans.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:55 AM
CHareth

An elementary school friend introduced me to the Habs, and I became a fan kind of by accident. One day after school, we went to his house. He wasn't a Habs fan, but he had a white Habs jersey and showed it to me. I thought it was so awesome. After that I poured through encyclopedias and books to read about the team. Through reading, I learned about the history and greatness of the franchise. After that, I became obsessed and watched every Habs game I could on TV.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Habs4ever

Well Becoming Hab fan is very easy when you live in Montreal!!

I've been here for now 8 years and back then my brother chose DEtroit and I chose Montreal, I thought they were Canada team when I first saw it then after some time realized its the team from Montreal which got me pumped even more, initially I'm from India so my favourite sport is CRicket.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:20 AM
silver cup

I became a Habs fan after watching Guy Lafleur play. On a side note the Habs won the cup the year me, my wife, and our first son were born. My second son was born the night they played the last game at the Forum.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:54 AM
GB

Send a message via ICQ to GB
I didn't start following the NHL until early '93, and chose the Habs because of the tradition, the fact that there weren't many French-Canadian clubs and I really liked Roy and, oddly enough, Desjardins. It wasn't a bad time to start following them either.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Go to the forum of Montreal when you have 4-5-6 years old to heard the crowd (sp?) when the habs scores a goal or win a game.

Then try to not be an Habs fan...

The habs are my team forever. They would lost for the next 10 years, I would still cheer for them.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
My grandparents made me fans... When I was young, I would go to their house every Saturday to watch the game..

Old
11-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Lewis63

It's all my dad's fault !!!
he made me play hockey at the age of 5!
he made me watch the 1986 stanley cup finals with him when I was 7!
he made me go to the Stanley Cup parade in 93! (I had to miss school damn it!)
he made me go to the Forum with him!
he made me go to the Molson Center with him!
he made me go to hockey card conventions with him!
he made me go to player signings with him (Carbonneau, Skrudland, McPhee, Green, Courtnall, Walter)

But the fact is I enjoyed every moment of it!
He passed down his passion of hockey to me and I hope I can do the same with my own kids some day.

GO HABS GO!

Old
11-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Darz

I became a habs fan aroung '74-'75. I was really young (4 or 5 years old) and I watched a hockey game between the habs and some other team. Realizing that the one team was the 'Canadiens' and I was also a 'Canadian', I thought that was the team I should root for.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:33 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
Because my Nordiques are gone and the Habs are the only team left in Quebec.
Exactly the same reason here.. but it took me 5 years to overcome my sorrow about the Nordiques leaving and my hate for the Habs...

Go Habs Go!

Old
11-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Claude4Eva

I always liked the Habs seeing I live in Montreal. Then when they traded Claude Lemieux in 1990, I hated them until a few years ago when Jose Theodore made the team, I got back into them. I usually follow the team that my favorite player goes to and seeing Claude is no longer playing, Montreal is #1.

Closed Thread