HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu injury: serious question.

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Istvan

vCash: 500
Koivu injury: serious question.

If the four officials from the "Koivu injury" game gave a press conference and were asked, objectively, why there was no call what might be their answer[s]?

Old
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
If the four officials from the "Koivu injury" game gave a press conference and were asked, objectively, why there was no call what might be their answer[s]?
Because they missed it.

Old
05-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Koivu isn't out of the woods yet. Sure, the good news is that his injury wasn't nearly as severe as Brian Berard's, but it's too early to tell how well his eye heals and how good his vision will be. I'm not saying he won't recover 100%, but I'd like to be reassured by the results of a follow-up exam in the summer.

Old
05-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Guy!

I had the same sort of injury. He's having laser surgery and I had cryo surgery for popped retinas. The procedure is fairly simple: he lies still and they direct a laser into the eye at the affected area of the retina which is then 'burned' back into place. He ends up having tiny blind spots, as I do, that you virtually never notice. Unless the torn part of the retina was extensive, the probability is that he'll have virtually perfect vision sooner rather than later.

Now, this is all based on what I had to go through - which is a different situation - however the procedure isn't nearly as nasty as it might seem. There certainly isn't much pain with this kind of surgery either. I suspect he'll be fine.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous
Because they missed it.
two of the officials were looking at the play. This is why i'm puzzled.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Istvan

Teufelsdreck and GUY!, I appreciate your comments but they don't really address the initial question.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Teufelsdreck and GUY!, I appreciate your comments but they don't really address the initial question.

No, the refs can't start making press conference on missed calls. It would go out of control fast.

Both are gone of the playoffs (Marouelli made the final last time). It's the best we could have hope from the NHL.

Old
05-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
They were told to turn a blind eye to stick infractions ?

Old
05-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
They were told to turn a blind eye to stick infractions ?
Egads, i'm being mocked.

Old
05-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
No, the refs can't start making press conference on missed calls. It would go out of control fast.

Both are gone of the playoffs (Marouelli made the final last time). It's the best we could have hope from the NHL.
The press conference thing was hypothetical. I am just interested in what the officials comments would be if faced with the question in any forum.

Old
05-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Who said that?

Old
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Netro

Time to move forward boys....

Old
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Istvan, the two referees (Larue and Marouelli) weren't assigned to further games after missing the call. Suppose they had called it. Williams would have received 4 minutes in penalties. If the Hurricanes didn't score on that power play, the series would have proceeded the same way, with the Hurricanes winning in 6 games. Losing Koivu was what devastated the Habs, not the lost power play opportunity.

Old
05-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Istvan, the two referees (Larue and Marouelli) weren't assigned to further games after missing the call. Suppose they had called it. Williams would have received 4 minutes in penalties. If the Hurricanes didn't score on that power play, the series would have proceeded the same way, with the Hurricanes winning in 6 games. Losing Koivu was what devastated the Habs, not the lost power play opportunity.
I'm not wanting to get into the coulda-woulda stuff here. I'm just wondering if refs can "choke" on a call. See the infraction, register it at some level above the cervical cord but fail to make that last synaptic connection which results in blowing the whistle with arm raised. I'm not suggesting conspiraqcy or malice or even incompetence. I'm wondering about a psychological glich. So the ref ends up saying "I saw the infraction but I can't tell you why I didn't blow the whistle."

[OK NETRO, i'm ready to move on now.]

Old
05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
I'm not wanting to get into the coulda-woulda stuff here. I'm just wondering if refs can "choke" on a call. See the infraction, register it at some level above the cervical cord but fail to make that last synaptic connection which results in blowing the whistle with arm raised. I'm not suggesting conspiraqcy or malice or even incompetence. I'm wondering about a psychological glich. So the ref ends up saying "I saw the infraction but I can't tell you why I didn't blow the whistle."

[OK NETRO, i'm ready to move on now.]

It would'nt have been to late to call it after a discussion with the other ref and the lineman. The NHL supervisor said that the 4 guys did'nt see it.

Old
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
More importantly: do the four officials speak french...

Old
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos

Old
05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
They do, and they still missed it! Oh, but that'all right. Koivu speaks Finnish, ya know. Maybe if he had screamed ,"Aie, que ça fait mal!" they would have called it.

Closed Thread