HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats going to happen with Luongo?

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Brett38

vCash: 500
Whats going to happen with Luongo?

Will he sign with Florida or will they try to trade him and get a good return? I know he will probably demand a good some of money. I don't think Montreal would be to interested considering they have an abundance of goalies. Considering his cash value, I think the Habs will not try to get him. Huet or Aebischer will do the job here. Danis can back one of these two netminders up. Price won't be ready for another two or three years. Probably be a back up then. Any thoughts?

Don't mean to beat this topic to death.

Old
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
Will he sign with Florida or will they try to trade him and get a good return? I know he will probably demand a good some of money. I don't think Montreal would be to interested considering they have an abundance of goalies. Considering his cash value, I think the Habs will not try to get him. Huet or Aebischer will do the job here. Danis can back one of these two netminders up. Price won't be ready for another two or three years. Probably be a back up then. Any thoughts?

He'll sign with Florida. No question. In fact, I'm willing to stake my reputation on it... lol, my 'reputation'...

Old
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Its ok lol

Lets see...

Florida is going to try to sign him long term.

He's going to refuse.

They are then going to try to lowball him.

They are going to go on arbitration

They are going to insult him some more by comparing his career to low end goalies.

He's going to get around 3 mil.

Next year, desparate for goalies, they sign/trade for Sean Burke and Grahame.

By 2010, Jacques Martin commits suicide.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
Its ok lol

Lets see...

Florida is going to try to sign him long term.

He's going to refuse.

They are then going to try to lowball him.

They are going to go on arbitration

They are going to insult him some more by comparing his career to low end goalies.

He's going to get around 3 mil.

Next year, desparate for goalies, they sign/trade for Sean Burke and Grahame.

Excellent response!!

He's worth at least 4.5 million, if not more!

Old
05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Legolas

As risky as it is, I really think we should make a run for him. I am grateful for what Huet did this season but I don't think he's going to be a top flight goaltender in the NHL for years to come. I think teams have begun to figure him out as far as his lateral movement goes and he's older than Luongo too.

The only issue I see is that at the end of the day, Luongo makes more money playing in Florida with its no state taxes than he would anywhere else (except maybe Dallas I think)...

Old
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Didn't the Panthers already make him an offer for $5M or $6M a year? So it doesn't seem too likely to me that they'll lowball him, anyway.

Aside from that, I guess he wants a shorter term contract so he can go UFA, or maybe he just wants to see evidence that the Panthers are going to be serious about signing some other big names before he commits?

Anyway, instead of "lowball", I would imagine the Panthers will play "hardball". He's RFA, so realistically he plays wherever the Panthers want him to, or he sits. And I suspect the Panthers will want him to play for them.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

He's RFA, what's going to happen is likely what happens to every RFA, they get signed.
After he could be traded or not. He could sign long term or not.

What does "make a run for him" mean? He's a RFA , one year removed from UFA. If he doesn't sign long term in FLA he will become UFA and then you can make a "run" at him like all the 29 other teams.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
He's RFA, what's going to happen is likely what happens to every RFA, they get signed.
After he could be traded or not. He could sign long term or not.

What does "make a run for him" mean? He's a RFA , one year removed from UFA. If he doesn't sign long term in FLA he will become UFA and then you can make a "run" at him like all the 29 other teams.
I meant try and sign him as a UFA, trade for him now, sign him as an RFA and pay compensation, whatever you want...

Old
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
I meant try and sign him as a UFA, trade for him now, sign him as an RFA and pay compensation, whatever you want...
For Montreal to try and get him as an RFA they would have to dump Abeischer, Huet, Ribeiro, Bulis to try and sign him. We need afford his contract when he becomes a UFA. I still think we need a big, strong second line center and maybe another D. Danis could be his back up...heee!

All this is just wishful thinking of course.

Old
05-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Legolas

Quote:
For Montreal to try and get him as an RFA they would have to dump Abeischer, Huet, Ribeiro, Bulis to try and sign him. We need afford his contract when he becomes a UFA. I still think we need a big, strong second line center and maybe another D. Danis could be his back up...heee!

All this is just wishful thinking of course.
Yup...but it's fun to dream...

Obviously if you're going to sign Luongo, you're not going to keep Huet or Aebischer around. With the cap going up, we would have room to fit Luongo in actually...particularly with the number of rookies we'll be bringing in for the next few years. But yes, you would need to get rid of Ribs, Bulis and others. Something tells me that not many people would be yelling "We signed Luongo?? Oh no! That means we can't keep Bulis and Ribs!!"

Old
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
Yup...but it's fun to dream...

Obviously if you're going to sign Luongo, you're not going to keep Huet or Aebischer around. With the cap going up, we would have room to fit Luongo in actually...particularly with the number of rookies we'll be bringing in for the next few years. But yes, you would need to get rid of Ribs, Bulis and others. Something tells me that not many people would be yelling "We signed Luongo?? Oh no! That means we can't keep Bulis and Ribs!!"

Right on!

1. Higgins Koivu Ryder

2. Perezhogin Arnott Kovalev

3. ? Plekanic(sp) ?

4. Murray Bonk Begin

Could Kostitsyn(sp) play next year?

Keep the same D.

Luongo
Danis

Old
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Kafka

Quote:

I guess he will sign for a one year contract, or be traded to a team for which he would agree to a long term deal. Being from Montreal, I am sure he wouldn't mind comming here. Aebisher + something + something would suit every parties.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Shazbot

Quote:

But seriously, fellas, this isn't funny.

Old
05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
By 2010, Jacques Martin's commets soon collide.

there much more like it...

Old
05-09-2006, 05:35 PM
#44_delivers

why would we waste money in a certain position that we are fine at i say invest the same amount of money and get a legitimate top 6 forward and a legitimate top 4 defensmen.
goaltending is not the position we need help at.

i my opinion habs managmentwont be looking at luongo or any other goaltender but looking at UFA's that way we dont have to have some our more "equatable" kids leave out of town.

Old
05-09-2006, 06:33 PM
tinyzombies

If we get Luongo, that certainly helps our defensive problems. I don't know if Huet/Aeby are the answer. Both played fairly well, but also let in bad goals. I don't think we'd have that problem with Luongo. With Roberto, you're buying another 5+ wins that he'll steal and perhaps another round of playoffs even if we have to stand pat on the rest of the team. You can't win a Cup without an elite goalie (Scotty Bowman rule #1).

Not only that, but your backup can earn the minimum and you won't have a problem. So we could promote Danis and have a goalie tandem that makes rougly $6M.

As it stands, we could go with Huet ($2.2-ish M) and Danis (450k) and roll the dice and probably not get what we needs for $2.75M.

Or we could keep Huet ($2.2M) and Aeby ($2.1M) at $4.3M and have a solid tandem, but no elite starter.

Or we could go with the $6M (a $1.7M boost over Huet/Aeby) and have the centerpiece of our defense for a Cup run.

With Luongo, you also don't need a significant increase in defense spending (like we do now) and have the luxury of going more uptempo with our young skill up front and not worry as much about the back end.

We could also become a grittier team because we'd have one of the best penalty-killers in the league: Luongo.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-09-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
But seriously, fellas, this isn't funny.
Ok, sry all.

By 2010, Jacques Martin is very depressed.

Hmm.

Not as much punch but more "correct".

I though the would compensate for the relative harshness of harakiri.

So, instead, I'll just...

Old
05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Luongo will be resigned long term, at all costs , u can bank on it . If anybody is gonna get overpaid on the panthers roster it will be luongo.

Last edited by PanthersFanatic12: 05-09-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old
05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
As it stands, we could go with Huet ($2.2-ish M) and Danis (450k) and roll the dice and probably not get what we needs for $2.75M.
Not to be picky, but Danis already makes $874k, I doubt he gets a pay cut any time soon.

Old
05-09-2006, 09:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
Luongo will be resigned long term, at all costs , u can bank on it . If anybody is gonna get overpaid on the panthers roster it will be luongo.
He doesn't wanna be there. They already took money out of his pocket last year with that ridiculous arbitration scheme of Keenan's. They later offered Luongo his money, but he turned it down. Why on earth would he sign there longterm with Keenan running the show? He'd have to have his head checked.

Old
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Not to be picky, but Danis already makes $874k, I doubt he gets a pay cut any time soon.
Where the heck did he get THAT contract? That's ridiculous. I'm assuming it's a two-way contract. Why is he getting that kind of money already?

Old
05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
He doesn't wanna be there. They already took money out of his pocket last year with that ridiculous arbitration scheme of Keenan's. They later offered Luongo his money, but he turned it down. Why on earth would he sign there longterm with Keenan running the show? He'd have to have his head checked.
First of all , luongo was on a florida radio station not to long ago and he said he would love to stay and sign long term . And he liked how the team is getting better and that the team was in the playoff hunt this year . What ur bringing up is old issues that were blown outta proportion. Luongo didn't accept the 6 mil deal because he wanted to see commitement from the team and it showed it at the deadline by having a firesale. he said he took notice of that . anyway long story short , u can all stop the fantasy about luongo coming to montreal .

Old
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
First of all , luongo was on a florida radio station not to long ago and he said he would love to stay and sign long term . And he liked how the team is getting better and that the team was in the playoff hunt this year . What ur bringing up is old issues that were blown outta proportion. Luongo didn't accept the 6 mil deal because he wanted to see commitement from the team and it showed it at the deadline by having a firesale. he said he took notice of that . anyway long story short , u can all stop the fantasy about luongo coming to montreal .
Of course he's going to say that. He's covering all the angles. Florida does have a good young core, but I'm not convinced he wants to stay there. Time will tell. They better not take him to arbitration again. I'm sure he's gonna want to recoup the money they squeezed out of him too.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
rumors ...Luongo for Datsyuk on the trade rumors board

Old
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:

1) he does wanna play there, he met his wife there, and he enjoys the city
2) contrary to popular belief, he has a good relationship with Keenan
3) he's the one who pushed to get Joikinen signed and it worked,

Luongo will be in a Panthers uniform next season

Closed Thread