HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Roster situation for next year!

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Roster situation for next year!

I wasn't on the board last week so I guess that I missed a couple of thread. Anyways, since there's nothing on the subject on the first page, I thought that it was a good idea too talk about what we can expect for next year.

Many players will come back next year. We will most likely sign every RFA, and let every UFA go expept Bouillon and Huet.

In front of the net, it's not going to be very hard to get things going. Huet will most likely be back, like he was saying to the media the other day. If it's the case, Aebischer is gone. He can't play 50 games like he wants to with Huet in the team. That mean that Danis will be our back-up, and Halak will be next on the depht chart.

Our defence is a little bit more complicated. Gainey wouldn't mind to sign Bouillon back, but if he wants to sign a pretty good defenceman via free agency, Bouillon might not be back. Francis can't be a 7th defenceman anymore because he's better then that. Everything will depend on if Gainey wants a guy like Redden or Kubina...the other 5 will stay in place. Cote or Streit will complete the team on the blue line.

Up front, we will obvioulsy see some major changes. From our regular, Bulis and Zednik will not be back. One will be gone because he's a UFA, and the other will be traded because he will ask to. After that, Sundstrom and Downie will also be gone. It's hard to know if there will be a change with our 4 centers. We all know that they are all good when they are place in the right role. I wouln't mind to see them all back, but if we can get our hands on a bigger skilled center, Ribeiro will be gone. But don't expect anything big...Gainey would be alright with those 4 centers for another season.

On the wings, it will be really fun to see what will happen. Higgins will hopefully be as good as he was, Ryder should be better because he will be healty, Kovalev is Kovalev..., Perezhogin will hopefully has his break up season, Begin will once again be our sparkplug and Murray will be a good grinder. That's only 6 wingers, and 2 of them can't play on the top 2 lines. Kostitsyn, Lapierre and Ferland are all pretty close from the NHL, but Kost is the only one will offensive potenital, so if he has a good training camp, he will be part of the team. We can't forget Latendresse, who might make the team.

But like I said above, Aebi, Zednik and maybe Ribeiro might be traded, so we have to wonder which kind of value we would have for them. A top 6 winger isn't out of the question for sure. Will we want to move up in the draft??? It might be a solution.

There's also the UFA possibility, but I think that Gainey will wait to get a big name. IMO, our big season will be one of 2007-2008 or 2008-2009.

So IMO, the line-up will look like that:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Ryder
Kostistyn-Ribeiro/UFA-Murray/trade player
Begin-Bonk-Lapierre/trade player

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon/UFA-Dandenault

Huet
Danis

WILDCARD: Latendresse

What do you think???

Old
05-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
What do you think???
Bring back Balej !

Old
05-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Nice goal !!

Old
05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I don't want to give Zednik, Kost and a 1st to have him back...and Murray has his number so...

Old
05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon/UFA-Dandenault

Huet
Danis

What do you think???
I think your comments are interesting but if that is the lineup for next year, the team will rely too much on breakout years and rookies. We cannot expect Plekanec, Perezhogin and Kostsitsyn to all provide significant offense all year without any help.

I believe Gainey will make a move this summer, someone made a proposal in another forum, Zednik vs Lang. That would make sense for both team and looks like a realistic trade idea. I would like them to make an offer to RFA Patrice Bergeron but I don't think it has any chance of hapening!! It would spice things up between Boston and Montreal for sure!!

Old
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler
I think your comments are interesting but if that is the lineup for next year, the team will rely too much on breakout years and rookies. We cannot expect Plekanec, Perezhogin and Kostsitsyn to all provide significant offense all year without any help.

I believe Gainey will make a move this summer, someone made a proposal in another forum, Zednik vs Lang. That would make sense for both team and looks like a realistic trade idea. I would like them to make an offer to RFA Patrice Bergeron but I don't think it has any chance of hapening!! It would spice things up between Boston and Montreal for sure!!
Well, I agree that we need more help...that's why I put UFA and Traded player in the line-up. But the thing is that I can't even have a clue to know which player would be there. All I know is that we have a couple of players to trade...but for who,

And I was looking at the ducks/avalanche game and I was wondering that maybe we should go for a defenceman like Redden after all...even if it would cost like 6M. Niedermayer changed the Ducks, so a guy like Redden could also change us. We would have a crazy defenceman crop for years to come. And if we sign that kind of player, maybe we could resign Bouillon and trade a guy like Souray or Rivet. They are both good, but for Souray, we could add a pretty good player.

Old
05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

not a very good top 6 IMHO

Old
05-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

not a very good top 6 IMHO

Well maybe not the best one, but right now, that's our top 6...and BTW, it's a good one if Higgins and Perezhogin both have a good second season...

Old
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Next Best Thing*

I think Kostitsyn will take Bulis' spot on the second line. I don't mind keeping Ribeiro if we start the year with Kost-Ribs-Kov because he had great chemistry with Kovalev, they just need someone other than assface Bulis.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
There's also the UFA possibility, but I think that Gainey will wait to get a big name. IMO, our big season will be one of 2007-2008 or 2008-2009.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon/UFA-Dandenault

Huet
Danis

What do you think???
Interesting post. But the thing with Gainey (and Carbonneau probably) is that it's about the 23 man roster more than the line-up on any given night.

Centers
Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk

Wingers
Higgins (LW)
Ryder (RW)
Kovalev (RW)
Murray (LW)
Zednik (LW/RW)
Perezhogin (LW/RW)
Begin (LW)

Defencemen
Komisarek
Rivet
Dandenault
Souray
Markov
Bouillon

This is pretty much the core without Bulis and co., and there's only 17 players. Guys like Lapierre and Kostitsyn or some wildcard rookie might take spots, but that still leaves a lot of room, especially as both Zednik and Ribeiro could be on their way out.

I guess my point is that Gainey has a lot of tinkering to do with the forwards. There's a lack of veteran depth everywhere, for every role. I think that's what Carbonneau meant at the PC when he mentioned his shopping list for the off-season. I'm expecting more Begin, Downey, Murray type moves, but involving somewhat higher caliber players. I'm not really expecting a stud defenceman or big scorer through FA.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:14 PM
tinyzombies

I think we have enough energy line guys. I bet we go with three scoring lines that can play two ways and one energy line. We have enough skill guys to spread around scoring, but we desperately need more grit up front. And we desperately need more defensemen who can move the puck and have some agility down low so we don't always have to play zone. We need a scorer to step up, we need a big, gritty righthanded centerman who can win draws, we need a goalie who is for real (hopefully that is Huet). And I hope to god they bring Larry Robinson in to deal with this defense. He's a whiz at that.

There's no two ways about it, we need to break the logjam of small forwards and get some size, speed, gritty guys in here. I think we have to bust up the logjam on D too and get some guys who can move the puck.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Interesting post. But the thing with Gainey (and Carbonneau probably) is that it's about the 23 man roster more than the line-up on any given night.

Centers
Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk

Wingers
Higgins (LW)
Ryder (RW)
Kovalev (RW)
Murray (LW)
Zednik (LW/RW)
Perezhogin (LW/RW)
Begin (LW)

Defencemen
Komisarek
Rivet
Dandenault
Souray
Markov
Bouillon

This is pretty much the core without Bulis and co., and there's only 17 players. Guys like Lapierre and Kostitsyn or some wildcard rookie might take spots, but that still leaves a lot of room, especially as both Zednik and Ribeiro could be on their way out.

I guess my point is that Gainey has a lot of tinkering to do with the forwards. There's a lack of veteran depth everywhere, for every role. I think that's what Carbonneau meant at the PC when he mentioned his shopping list for the off-season. I'm expecting more Begin, Downey, Murray type moves, but involving somewhat higher caliber players. I'm not really expecting a stud defenceman or big scorer through FA.
I'm sure you would like to bring the roster up to at least 19 with the addition of a couple of goaltenders. The identity of those two is a lot more important than that of the others on your list.

Old
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Quote:
Well maybe not the best one, but right now, that's our top 6...and BTW, it's a good one if Higgins and Perezhogin both have a good second season...
im still not sold on perezhogin..he show some good flash with plek..but the guys was not send at hamilton for nothing..he still very raw in all aspect of the game...

Old
05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
im still not sold on perezhogin..he show some good flash with plek..but the guys was not send at hamilton for nothing..he still very raw in all aspect of the game...
3 possibilities...

1- You missed the last stretch of the season and the first round of the playoffs

2- You are blind

3-

Old
05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
3 possibilities...

1- You missed the last stretch of the season and the first round of the playoffs

2- You are blind

3-
well if u can read..i said he show great flash.... but for a top notch prospect..9 goal is not enough...

Old
05-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
well if u can read..i said he show great flash.... but for a top notch prospect..9 goal is not enough...
yeah, I can agree, but it was still his first season...and if he would have played like in his last month for the whole yearm he could have had between 15 and 20 goals...

Old
05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Slick Nick

I have high doubts about Plekanec on the second line. My choice would be Ribs if the centerman situation would remain the same in september.

There's a few problems with this team, but the most obvious one is a lack of size and talent (or both combined) at center on the two first lines. We have 4 candidates right now; Saku, Mike, Thomas and Radek... Saku is the best of the bunch, Ribeiro can't bring enough overall for a third line spot and Radek is a good 3rd/4th line center..

3 choices:

keep the same center core.

Trade Ribs and bring Pleky on 2nd. Bring Bonk or Bégin on 3rd, in this case - find a good 3rd or 4th line center.

Trade Ribs and replace him with a No1/2 center on UFA market or via a trade.

I think the third choice is the most logical one.

Package 3 of the most valuable players on this roster; Ryder, Souray and Aebischer, trade them for a No 1 center and what comes with it. Sign Huet (Aebi cleared), sing a 3rd D (Souray cleared, and might save money.. or put the money saved on a no1/2 D) let the kids play (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn or the flyest guy in training camp). Overall you get a No1 centerman, maybe a better D and you give your young guns a good chance to prove their selection.

Last edited by Slick Nick: 05-10-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old
05-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
I have high doubts about Plekanec on the second line. My choice would be Ribs if the centerman situation would remain the same in september.

There's a few problems with this team, but the most obvious one is a lack of size and talent (or both combined) at center on the two first lines. We have 4 candidates right now; Saku, Mike, Thomas and Radek... Saku is the best of the bunch, Ribeiro can't bring enough overall for a third line spot and Radek is a good 3rd/4th line center..

3 choices:

keep the same center core.

Trade Ribs and bring Pleky on 2nd. Bring Bonk or Bégin on 3rd, in this case - find a good 3rd or 4th line center.

Trade Ribs and replace him with a No1/2 center on UFA market or via a trade.

I think the third choice is the most logical one.

Package 3 of the most valuable players on this roster; Ryder, Souray and Aebischer, trade them for a No 1 center and what comes with it. Sign Huet (Aebi cleared), sing a 3rd D (Souray cleared, and might save money.. or put the money saved on a no1/2 D) let the kids play (Perezhogin, Kostitsyn or the flyest guy in training camp). Over all you get a No1 centerman, maybe a better D and you give your yung guns a good chance to prove their selection.
I agree on everything, but I would hold on Ryder. I was ready to trade him during the season, but now that I know that he was injured for the whole year, I want to see what a healty Ryder can do. Also, a #1 center might not be THAT expensive in the new NHL.

And I think that we will have 3 offensive line, like we had at the end of the year, so Ribeiro on the 3rd would be alright...but he would have more PP time I guess...

Old
05-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Russeltown

Right now... My best wish would be the following :

Forwards
Higgins - Koivu - Selanne!
Ryder - 2nd line Center (Arnott, Lang, etc..) - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec- Perezhogin
Murray - Bégin - Lapierre

Defense :
Keep the same D. Corp! Not the best, but effective D.
Markov, Komisarek, Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Bouillon

Goaltending:
Huet
Aebischer would be ideal... But he wants to play 50 games... so.. Let's say Yann Danis.

It would be a great roster for next year only!

Gone: Zednik, Bulis, Ribeiro, Bonk, Sundstrom.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Russeltown

I feel comfortable with Pleky on the 3rd line.

He would be a great fit on a 2nd line if our 1st line center was a big one, like Joe Thornton,... We have Koivu, so i'd prefer to have a big 2nd centre and then Pleky on an offensive line with a lot of PK time and 2nd PP time!

With the lineup I mentionned on the above you have, for the PP

Selanne, Koivu, Kovalev, Souray and Markov on a 1st PP Unit
The 2nd line centre, Ryder Higgins, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Komisarek and Markov on a 2nd PP Unit

Plekanec, Higgins, Bégin, Lapierre, Murray who can play very decently on a PK!

Old
05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
DrM

Don't forget about the money.
Ribeiro is cheap, Bonk is horrible value at 2 mill.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
I think Kostitsyn will take Bulis' spot on the second line. I don't mind keeping Ribeiro if we start the year with Kost-Ribs-Kov because he had great chemistry with Kovalev, they just need someone other than assface Bulis.

I think if kostitsyn makes the team full time, he will play on the fourth line. he is

talented, but I dont think he is a break out kind of player, more of a slow steady

progress over a few years; I could also see gainey going outside our team to

make changes to the 2nd line. It would surprise me more if he didnt than if he did

Old
05-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I think if kostitsyn makes the team full time, he will play on the fourth line. he is

talented, but I dont think he is a break out kind of player, more of a slow steady

progress over a few years; I could also see gainey going outside our team to

make changes to the 2nd line. It would surprise me more if he didnt than if he did
Which prospect this year played on the fourth line at the end of the season? Yeah...none. He could MAYBE start on the fourth, but if he's good enough to stick with the team, he would be on the top 3 line within no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM
Don't forget about the money.
Ribeiro is cheap, Bonk is horrible value at 2 mill.
The cap will most likely goes up so the money shouldn't be a problem. And Bonk will be on his last year of contract...we will just keep him and let him go after. Chipchura might be ready after one AHL year.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
Right now... My best wish would be the following :

Forwards
Higgins - Koivu - Selanne!
Ryder - 2nd line Center (Arnott, Lang, etc..) - Kovalev
Kostitsyn - Plekanec- Perezhogin
Murray - Bégin - Lapierre

Defense :
Keep the same D. Corp! Not the best, but effective D.
Markov, Komisarek, Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Bouillon

Goaltending:
Huet
Aebischer would be ideal... But he wants to play 50 games... so.. Let's say Yann Danis.

It would be a great roster for next year only!

Gone: Zednik, Bulis, Ribeiro, Bonk, Sundstrom.

I could live with this, but I don't think Selanne will leave Southern California, espcially if the Ducks go to the finals.

He has a home there, he likes it there and the Ducks are an up and coming team in the west with Perry, Getzlaf..etc.

I think we can try for Samsanov... his speed and skill would work nicely with Koivu and Higgins IMO.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Habsaku

I think we should add some punch to the 2nd line position. Not because I dont like Ribeiro, It'll probably hurt a bit to see him on another team, but because I feel we lack the necessary depth. We lack right hand shots and strong players down the middle. I would personally be surprised to see more then one of Bonk, Ribeiro, Bulis or Zednik back. I also think it might be time to part ways with one of our defensemen. The crop of UFAs is too good to pass up. I see Rob Blake and Redden is great fits for this organization. Same with Allison but I've been saying that for the last 5 years. I feel we need two more veterans to help the younger players on ice, not necessarily off the ice. Although it would be nice to see all of Latendresse, Chipchura, Kostitsyn and Lapierre on the team next year, I dont see it as a viable possibility unless we have some strong veteran leadership like San Jose. We have seen this year that Rivet, Souray, Dandenault, Koivu and Kovalev have all guided the younger players on the team and Markov has even helped Komisarek attain a top 4 level. With a new crop of guys for next year, it wouldnt hurt to replace the selfish players like Bulis and Zednik by guys who, even if they dont help off the ice, can guide them during play.

EDIT: Seeing Niedermayer with the ducks I cant help but wish we had traded Theo earlier and got him instead. I think Redden is the closest guy to him, Chara is way overrated and doesnt deserve his price tag.

Closed Thread