HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards....the "new" Captain Canuck

Old
05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Mike Richards....the "new" Captain Canuck

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Wor...564471-cp.html

Nice little story about Richards. I'm telling you, this guy will be a Doug Gilmour clone for years to come. His play is very reminiscient of Gilmour and the moment we get him some wingers to play with, he's going to be deadly.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Wor...564471-cp.html

Nice little story about Richards. I'm telling you, this guy will be a Doug Gilmour clone for years to come. His play is very reminiscient of Gilmour and the moment we get him some wingers to play with, he's going to be deadly.
Yes, after hearing this at the beginning, I agree with the comparisons to Gilmour. If anything, I dont thing Carter and Gagne fit together. I thing after the Forsberg "era" unless we get a younger center, I think Richards should play with Gagne and Carter needs that playmaking winger to get him the puck.

Could we see a future line of
Gagne Richards Potulny

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 06:11 AM
luv_canadian_hockey

That article is also in the Toronto Star.

It was nice to see Richards recognized for his efforts. I can't wait to see him as Philly's Captain.

luv_canadian_hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 07:33 AM
MojoJojo

Richards needs to watch Forsberg. If he is going to put up points in the NHL, it will be as a playmaking center that can play physical and be responsible in his own end.

I think his defensive prowess is a bit exaggerated here. He was good, but not great defensively. I do not want to see him as a shut down center. He has his uses on the PK because he is so good at getting shorties, but otherwise I dont think he will ever be a Selke nominee like some people here seem to think.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_canadian_hockey
I can't wait to see him as Philly's Captain.
There's an outside chance that they may happen alot sooner the we think. What happens of Primeau can't come back and the buy out Hatcher? Who else could you give the "C" to knowing that Richards is being groomed for a year or two down the road?

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
There's an outside chance that they may happen alot sooner the we think. What happens of Primeau can't come back and the buy out Hatcher? Who else could you give the "C" to knowing that Richards is being groomed for a year or two down the road?
In that scenario, the C should go to Gagne (and yes, I know he turned it down last year), Knuble, or Forsberg. Richards is a captain-in-training, but far too young to wear the C.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:05 AM
NJFlyer42

I hadn't thought of Knuble, but I think he would be a good choice to fill the gap until Richards has gained some more experience. At this point, I don't think they'll offer it to Gagne again if they plan on taking it away a year or two down the road. Forsberg would be interesting, but he doesn't strike me as the captain type.

Old
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Jester

I would like Richards to play with a more offensive set of wingers, though, this will probably have to wait until after Forsberg has moved on. However, I think we have to quit it with the Gilmour comparisons as Richards is NOWHERE near the offensive talent that Gilmour was. You can say he didn't have wingers all you want, but the simple truth is that his skills just aren't at that level, which is fine... given that Gilmour was a near PPG player in the NHL... Richards will most likely not be that.

I think his game compares much closer to Peca, especially if Richards gets his strength up (which he needs to do).

Rookie Year
Gilmour: 25-28-53
Peca: 11-20-31 (first full season -- 68 gp)
Richards: 11-23-34

If Richards turns into a Peca... we're going to be fine. MORE than fine. I do agree that he and Gagne could be a very strong pairing down the road... and Carter and Gagne would be a disaster because they both need to be firing the puck in order to be effective offensively. I think a priority for Clarke should be finding a playmaker to play the RW with Umberger/Carter next year... someone who can control the puck and make plays. Those two were very strong on the rush, but could definitely improve on scoring from play down low next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 10:02 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I would like Richards to play with a more offensive set of wingers, though, this will probably have to wait until after Forsberg has moved on. However, I think we have to quit it with the Gilmour comparisons as Richards is NOWHERE near the offensive talent that Gilmour was. You can say he didn't have wingers all you want, but the simple truth is that his skills just aren't at that level, which is fine... given that Gilmour was a near PPG player in the NHL... Richards will most likely not be that.

I think his game compares much closer to Peca, especially if Richards gets his strength up (which he needs to do).

Rookie Year

If Richards turns into a Peca... we're going to be fine. MORE than fine. I do agree that he and Gagne could be a very strong pairing down the road... and Carter and Gagne would be a disaster because they both need to be firing the puck in order to be effective offensively. I think a priority for Clarke should be finding a playmaker to play the RW with Umberger/Carter next year... someone who can control the puck and make plays. Those two were very strong on the rush, but could definitely improve on scoring from play down low next year.

Radek Dvorak is a great playmaker at RW. He had a bad season and struggled through some injuries, but he can dish the puck very well from the wing. I am hoping someone with more finishing ability to play with Umberger and Carter, but he is a possibility.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Rookie Year

I think he is prob somewhere between Peca and Gilmour. IMO his style of play can be more geared towards offense, he just needs to be put in that roll. He always put up the same if not more points then Carter in juniors and the AHL

Old
05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Radek Dvorak is a great playmaker at RW. He had a bad season and struggled through some injuries, but he can dish the puck very well from the wing. I am hoping someone with more finishing ability to play with Umberger and Carter, but he is a possibility.
Dvorak hasnt put up good points in a long time though. I think he is more of a 3rd liner these days, but who knows. I wouldnt mind him if something better wasnt available.

I am fine if they get someone that has finishing skills on the RW with Carter and Umberger but they absolutely needs someone with passing/playmaking skills to dish the puck. If you can get both so be it (Bertuzzi???)

Old
05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
I think he is prob somewhere between Peca and Gilmour. IMO his style of play can be more geared towards offense, he just needs to be put in that roll. He always put up the same if not more points then Carter in juniors and the AHL
there's a BIG difference between putting up points in the OHL and the AHL... not saying that Richards isn't going to be a decent offensive player, because i think he will be, however, i think people are getting ahead of themselves with his offensive upside. i will be shocked if he is anything near a ppg player in the NHL... while i think that isn't necessarily an unrealistic expectation for Carter given the right situation with linemates, and team in general.

Gilmour was a GREAT offensive player in this league... Peca isn't the same as we saw in Buffalo, but I think that is more of what to expect from Richards. a guy that is heady in all zones of the ice, makes plays in all zones of the ice, and is the guy that calms the game down for everyone else.

Old
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
RoDu

I'm not saying Richards will be as good as Gilmour, but Dougy didn't have Brashear on his wing for his rookie season, and Richards didn't play in the 1980's version of the NHL. The stats are misleading.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
I'm not saying Richards will be as good as Gilmour, but Dougy didn't have Brashear on his wing for his rookie season, and Richards didn't play in the 1980's version of the NHL. The stats are misleading.
not that misleading... players who put up near ppg stats across their career stand out a bit more than Richards did... i love the kid, but he didn't stand out as an offensive player to that extent.

Richards also nosedived offensively after the first half of the season.

Old
05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Richards also nosedived offensively after the first half of the season.
Yeah, he said himself that the schedule really wore on him. A strong summer of strength and conditioning will do wonders - provided he hires a personal trainer. Relying on Jimmy Mac will just result in more torn labrums.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Relying on Jimmy Mac will just result in more torn labrums.
I never heard of a torn labrum until this year! I wonder if this injury is unique to the Flyers more than other teams?

Old
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
I never heard of a torn labrum until this year! I wonder if this injury is unique to the Flyers more than other teams?
Esche had it last season... i might be mistaken, but i think Lemieux had the problem earlier in his career.

Old
05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Yeah, he said himself that the schedule really wore on him. A strong summer of strength and conditioning will do wonders - provided he hires a personal trainer. Relying on Jimmy Mac will just result in more torn labrums.
defintely... would love it if he went and hung out with Gags during the summer... he clearly bulked up his upper body and i think it helped him a ton.

Old
05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
defintely... would love it if he went and hung out with Gags during the summer... he clearly bulked up his upper body and i think it helped him a ton.
I agree. It looks like they could be linemates for the first few months now, working out together couldn't hurt at all.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote