HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We could have a Norris winner...Are you kidding me?

Old
05-07-2006, 02:45 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
We could have a Norris winner...Are you kidding me?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/14517905.htm

Apparently we were just about to sign Norris tropy winning Dman Scott Niedermeyer for close to the max, but with Timander and Ragnersson leaving we were left with two holes, Clark opted to fill both with Rathje and Hatcher for the total he was going to offer Niedermeyer...Clarke makes bad moves sometimes, and i understand his reasoning for doing what he did, but how awesome of a summer would that have been? Forsberg and Niedermeyer, Carke goes big, and I expect the same for this Summer, bye bye Hatcher. Hello Chara.

Also the article mentions the max being 9 million, i though the max was upper 7 million per player?

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 03:10 PM
capn89*

Clarke is too much of a dumbass to actually get anyone good who will be here for a while and isn't a shadow of their former self.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Wouldn't that have pissed the Debbies right off.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 03:25 PM
donelikedinner

Neids was never going to sign with anyone but Anaheim as he wanted to play with his brother. And he has confirmed that issue previously in various interviews. He was never interested in coming to the Flyers or anyone else.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Meth Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
Neids was never going to sign with anyone but Anaheim as he wanted to play with his brother. And he has confirmed that issue previously in various interviews. He was never interested in coming to the Flyers or anyone else.
Exactly....Lou offered Scott the max but he wanted to play with his brother....he was never thinking of going with the flyers.

Meth Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I don't believe the post-mortem Pannaccio lambasting. It happens every year. Clarke isn't that dumb to not give Scott Niedermayer whatever he wanted. Take the Devils best player off their team. If anything, Niedermayer used it for leverage.

Last edited by GKJ: 05-07-2006 at 03:54 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 05:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

the article also talked about when the Markov for Williams deal happened, You really think Clarke wanted to do that deal? The Flyers were in a position where they had to make that deal. It was going to cost either Williams,Carter,Richards or Gagne for Markov.
Markov played very well for the Flyers and never,ever should have been dealt to Nashville for next to nothing at the cost of getting Rathje and Hatcher. That is the problem I had. We should have kept Markov and only aquired Rathje or Hatcher.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 05:55 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
the article also talked about when the Markov for Williams deal happened, You really think Clarke wanted to do that deal? The Flyers were in a position where they had to make that deal. It was going to cost either Williams,Carter,Richards or Gagne for Markov.
Markov played very well for the Flyers and never,ever should have been dealt to Nashville for next to nothing at the cost of getting Rathje and Hatcher. That is the problem I had. We should have kept Markov and only aquired Rathje or Hatcher.
yea, i couldnt beleive that we traded away markov, he was a good fit. We should have just signed rathje.

hopefully clarke does some good moves. that payoff big for us.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
FlyersFanJS

wow...niedermeyer a philadelphia flyer...that would have been sweet, like some others said, he was going to anaheim no matter what

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 06:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers got really lucky with Markov because he never got hurt when he was here, he is very injury prone, that said, I can find a spot on my team for him.

Old
05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The Flyers got really lucky with Markov because he never got hurt when he was here, he is very injury prone, that said, I can find a spot on my team for him.
Not entirely true. Markov was hurt as a Flyer but played throught the pain until the playoffs ended. If I remember correctly, directly after the playoffs he had shoulder surgery.

Old
05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
I believe it as long as we were gonna sign his brother too.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Strong Island

There are a lot of things wrong with that article. First off Philly couldn't have signed Niedermayer to a 8 million per year contract... the max last year was 7.8 per year. Also, he didn't sign for more than the 8 million "offered" by Clarke, he signed a 4 year deal at 6.75 per. If the writer of the article can't get those simple facts right I wouldn't put much faith in the validity of this.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 09:39 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7
There are a lot of things wrong with that article. First off Philly couldn't have signed Niedermayer to a 8 million per year contract... the max last year was 7.8 per year. Also, he didn't sign for more than the 8 million "offered" by Clarke, he signed a 4 year deal at 6.75 per. If the writer of the article can't get those simple facts right I wouldn't put much faith in the validity of this.
yea i also questioned that. he also mentions 9 million, that is just stupid.

Old
05-07-2006, 11:59 PM
panayiotis

hey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/14517905.htm

Apparently we were just about to sign Norris tropy winning Dman Scott Niedermeyer for close to the max, but with Timander and Ragnersson leaving we were left with two holes, Clark opted to fill both with Rathje and Hatcher for the total he was going to offer Niedermeyer...Clarke makes bad moves sometimes, and i understand his reasoning for doing what he did, but how awesome of a summer would that have been? Forsberg and Niedermeyer, Carke goes big, and I expect the same for this Summer, bye bye Hatcher. Hello Chara.

Also the article mentions the max being 9 million, i though the max was upper 7 million per player?
Learn how to read....They offered him deal..That is all...Anyways..Who cares! They ended up with 2 pilons...Clarkie types...

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Learn how to read....They offered him deal..That is all...Anyways..Who cares! They ended up with 2 pilons...Clarkie types...
Learn how to use punctuation and/or English.

"Learn how to read... they offered him a deal, that is all. Anyways, who cares?! They wound up with two pilons of the Clarke variety."

See how easy that is?

Old
05-08-2006, 06:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Not entirely true. Markov was hurt as a Flyer but played throught the pain until the playoffs ended. If I remember correctly, directly after the playoffs he had shoulder surgery.

He didn't miss much time, if any

Old
05-08-2006, 06:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7
If the writer of the article can't get those simple facts right I wouldn't put much faith in the validity of this.
We don't (or at least I don't). Clarke hates Pannaccio, and in the past the team has fed him bad information. I don't know why the Inquier even keeps him on the payroll.

Jeremy Roenick's rant was classic.

Old
05-08-2006, 08:49 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
We don't (or at least I don't). Clarke hates Pannaccio, and in the past the team has fed him bad information. I don't know why the Inquier even keeps him on the payroll.

Jeremy Roenick's rant was classic.
what happend? Did he go off on him?

Old
05-08-2006, 08:53 AM
MojoJojo

Basically ripped him for not knowing a thing about the game and got his linemates wrong in an article.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
yea i also questioned that. he also mentions 9 million, that is just stupid.
That part cracked me up:

Quote:
They were prepared to pay $8 million a year for the defenseman's services. (He got more from Anaheim anyway.)
I assume that's a typo and should be 6 million, because 7.8 million is the most a player can make.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Basically ripped him for not knowing a thing about the game and got his linemates wrong in an article.
how is that posssible? they need to keep him off the wire if he going to keep writeing that bs. Its amazing to me that avoer 80% of the people on this site write better stuff than 80% of the people at DN and PI. I do like Ed moran though, i hate les bowen, glad he is off the flyers...

Old
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
mercury

Quote:
how is that posssible? they need to keep him off the wire if he going to keep writeing that bs. Its amazing to me that avoer 80% of the people on this site write better stuff than 80% of the people at DN and PI. I do like Ed moran though, i hate les bowen, glad he is off the flyers...
I often feel that a large minority of posters here would be as good or better than the Flyers beat writers, at least in terms of hockey analysis. SanFilippo is all right. Enthusiastic, but his style is awkward as hell and sometimes his metaphors/analogies/references make almost no sense. Pinnaccio is notably poor. Ed Moran is very knowledgable, a little laconic, but worthwhile reading most days. We deserve better beat writers in a hockey town this good.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
MojoJojo

My brother in law is a sports writer for the Courrier post (He covers HS sports). Basically he says that they dont really care or talk about hockey very much at the sports desk.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo

HELLO!!!!! MCFLY?!?!?!!!!!!