HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Forsberg out until 1/1/07

Old
05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
I think we just entered the Elias lottery.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Gagne-Carter-Umberger

Umberger doesn't need to be the other wing, but I would like to see Carter and Gagne working together.

Its hard to see light in a situation like this, but this does give our younger centers like Richards and Carter to get more time and develope.

If Elias were to hit the market, we should definitly make a serious run at him now. I like the idea of getting two good defenseman and one superstar on offense better than the other way around.

Gagne-Carter-Elias

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 05:51 PM
MojoJojo

If we dont get Elias I can realistically see BC making a strong push for Selanne now. He may want to stay with Annaheim, but if he was offered 5 or 6 mil (basically Forsberg's salary) would he change his mind if the Ducks wont match?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2
Gagne-Carter-Umberger

Umberger doesn't need to be the other wing, but I would like to see Carter and Gagne working together.

Its hard to see light in a situation like this, but this does give our younger centers like Richards and Carter to get more time and develope.

If Elias were to hit the market, we should definitly make a serious run at him now. I like the idea of getting two good defenseman and one superstar on offense better than the other way around.

Gagne-Carter-Elias
If you get Elias this works, if not, Gagne and Carter do not work cause they are both shooters. That is why Gagne worked with Recchi, Zhamnov and Forsberg. He needs someone to feed him the puck, same as Carter.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
If you get Elias this works, if not, Gagne and Carter do not work cause they are both shooters. That is why Gagne worked with Recchi, Zhamnov and Forsberg. He needs someone to feed him the puck, same as Carter.
More incentive to get Elias

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Heavy stuff. It just never ends for Peter. I hope he can return but if he's still hurting in January 2007, he should retire. But lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I just said this in the main forum...

How does this affect the contract that Gagne gets this summer? In my opinion, Gagne is half the goal scorer (while still a great player) without Forsberg. And without Forsberg for half a season, we can expect nearly half the goals he got this year because as we all know, he does not create his own chances as much as he needs players to feed him the puck.

Kind of twisted logic, but I think it makes sense. Gagne is less effective offensively without Forsberg, and therefore I think he's worth less money.

Anyone else see it that way?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
I just said this in the main forum...

How does this affect the contract that Gagne gets this summer? In my opinion, Gagne is half the goal scorer (while still a great player) without Forsberg. And without Forsberg for half a season, we can expect nearly half the goals he got this year because as we all know, he does not create his own chances as much as he needs players to feed him the puck.

Kind of twisted logic, but I think it makes sense. Gagne is less effective offensively without Forsberg, and therefore I think he's worth less money.

Anyone else see it that way?
He should get a pay day but I don't think it should be massive. If he wants to hold out it's on him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
He should get a pay day but I don't think it should be massive. If he wants to hold out it's on him.
I agree he deserves to get paid.

But looking to the future, he will not have the same production he did this past season and therefore if he lands a big one from Clarkie, a lot of us, myself included, will be complaining about his contract just like we are with our slow defensemen.

Old
05-10-2006, 06:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I actually would have been suprsied if Gagne had 40 goals next season with Forsberg in the lineup from the start

Old
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I actually would have been suprsied if Gagne had 40 goals next season with Forsberg in the lineup from the start
Yeah? Why's that?

Old
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah? Why's that?

I think defenses are catching on to the whole 'Forsberg to Gagne' thing. There was no flexability in the lines, so there was no other route to go. If this team is really a Stanley Cup contender, Gagne should not have to play exclusively with Forsberg on every shift. The only time they get split up is when Hitchcock simply gets pissed off.

AND If the only way to get Gagne to produce the numbers he was always supposed to is to always play with Forsberg, frankly I'm not really sure if he's all that useful other than to play good defense and be a moderate goal scorer. In today's NHL, I can find other ways to spend $5M

Old
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
I think defenses are catching on to the whole 'Forsberg to Gagne' thing.
Not really. Forsberg's foot problems-- which apparently contributed to the abdominal strains this season (and previous sports hernia he suffered his last year with the Avs), the three lower groin tears and the sprained MCL he suffered this season-- really inhibited his ability to create space. You could see it from January on.

And, as it now turns out, Gagne-- who's extra gear from early in the season wasn't there on a consistent basis later on-- has the torn labrum.

This is one case where I do think their reduced effectiveness can collectively be chalked up to injuries.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 07:47 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
And don't forget Richards and Carter won't be rookies anymore, that'll help ya out big time.

And you know Alfredsson might look good in a Flyer unie.
they may also have the "sophomore slump". we can't depend totally on them and I have faith clarke will do something good. Look at it this way as well they will be a young team and whether Clarke wants to admit or the fans want to hear it, this is probably now a somehwat rebuilding year.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:00 PM
dedalus

Quote:
As long as he's back for the playoffs ... We really could care less about the regular season, as long as we're in the top 8 when Forsberg comes back we'll be fine.
Define "fine." Forsberg was playing in this year's playoffs and the Flyers were far from "fine."

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
Four months prior to training camp and the Man Games Lost to Injury counter has already begun.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I think defenses are catching on to the whole 'Forsberg to Gagne' thing. There was no flexability in the lines, so there was no other route to go. If this team is really a Stanley Cup contender, Gagne should not have to play exclusively with Forsberg on every shift. The only time they get split up is when Hitchcock simply gets pissed off.

AND If the only way to get Gagne to produce the numbers he was always supposed to is to always play with Forsberg, frankly I'm not really sure if he's all that useful other than to play good defense and be a moderate goal scorer. In today's NHL, I can find other ways to spend $5M
I see what you're saying. Their effectiveness was definitely reduced from January on and the thought crossed my mind as well that teams were just catching on.

Bill makes a good point as well though. The multiple injuries that both players suffered must have had a huge impact on their play.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Define "fine." Forsberg was playing in this year's playoffs and the Flyers were far from "fine."
It's going to be a new team (hopefully) with more desire, a new philosophy and more speed. Less injuries will help, too.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Less injuries will help, too.
Sure but that means getting rid of the injury prone players. The Flyers' injury problems weren't an accident nor were they unpredictable.

If you keep Primeau, Forsberg, and a couple other suspects, you're going to have a frequently injured team.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
top_gun36
Hometown hero

On another note, the last time Forsberg missed the entire regular season, he lead all players in playoff points despite not playing in the SCF....

top_gun36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
It absolutely is. Anything over 10 games, and that money comes off the cap. If Forsberg only plays 41 games that's an extra $2.1M we get until he comes back.
NO

the money won't count against the salary cap figure until he comes back from injury. at that point ALL of his contract counts against the cap. the only way you lose the salary cap figure is if the player is injured and misses the REST of the existing season... therefore not a part of your team at the end of the season. this is to allow teams that suffer injuries the ability to "replace" that player... this is why Primeau not coming back "freed" the cap space that his return would have put back on the books...

it's stupidly complicated... they should just pro-rate the entire thing... but they don't.

anyway, i don't think this is a bad thing at all. we can win in the first half of the season without Forsberg... i have no doubt of this. will we be as good as we would be with him? of course not. hwoever, it will give Carter a chance at MAJOR offensive minutes both at even strength and on the PP, he will be our top center i would think, even if he's not centering Gagne and whomever. more minutes for Richards... so on and so forth. the catch is that the lack of Forsberg means it is extremely important that Primeau is around for next year... at least until Forsberg is back.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I think we just entered the Elias lottery.
he's going to get whatever necessary to keep him in NJ... they desperately need him and they are about to be moving into a new arena. the Forsberg money doesn't vanish into thin air either... his full contract will count against the Cap if he comes back and plays next season... you can move money around to "replace" Forsberg while he is gone but you have to come back into compliance after the fact which doesn't mean you can go sign a major contract using that money.

Old
05-10-2006, 08:33 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Zeus or Richards centering Gagne and Knuble maybe?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:36 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Sure but that means getting rid of the injury prone players. The Flyers' injury problems weren't an accident nor were they unpredictable.

If you keep Primeau, Forsberg, and a couple other suspects, you're going to have a frequently injured team.
what injuries were predictable besides Forsberg and primeau?Maybe Hatcher

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Zeus or Richards centering Gagne and Knuble maybe?
i'll be curious what they do... you gotta think that Carter will stay away from that group... but who knows. i would expect to see a lot of combinations at the start of the season...

they'll have Potulny to figure out too... i would actually not be against the idea of getting a "grinder" center for the fourth line... someone cheap that can kill penalties and win faceoffs... if they can find a center that works with Gagne in the first half of next year i would LOVE to see them try Forsberg on the wing with Carter...