HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg out until 1/1/07

Old
05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Sure but that means getting rid of the injury prone players. The Flyers' injury problems weren't an accident nor were they unpredictable.

If you keep Primeau, Forsberg, and a couple other suspects, you're going to have a frequently injured team.
I agree with you to an extent, but NWO beat me to what I wanted to say. What was predictable outside of 3 players, Forsberg, Primeau and Hatcher? 15 end-of-season surgeries, every player on the roster missing games due to injury except Knuble...NOTHING is that predictable.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Zeus or Richards centering Gagne and Knuble maybe?
I see Richards there with Carter and Umberger playing with someone else.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
what injuries were predictable besides Forsberg and primeau?Maybe Hatcher
Desjardins. Gagne. Kapanen. Hatcher (as you say). Therian.

Were you honestly surprised when any of these guys went down with injuries? I certainly wasn't.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:48 PM
jb**

Quote:
Desjardins. Gagne. Kapanen. Hatcher (as you say). Therian.

Were you honestly surprised when any of these guys went down with injuries? I certainly wasn't.
Forgot about Desjardin, Gagne why would that not be a surprise? Not that is would matter but Therian is nto injury prone.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
Gagne why would that not be a surprise?
Gagne is not a rock of a player. Other posters on this board have noted this in the past, and Clarke has publically questioned the kid's wilingness to tough out injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
Not that is would matter but Therian is nto injury prone.
Maybe. I'd argue it matters when you have to reach down for Randy Jones to play defense because your 7th d-man has gone down.

But anyway, Therien is old, slow, and worn out. That player is always a candidate for injury, and the fact that he hasn't managed a full season since 99-00 (I'll let him slide on the two games he missed that year) speaks against him, too.

Are you saying you WERE surprised when he went down?

Old
05-10-2006, 09:04 PM
TheZherdev

wow. Man this guy gets an injury like every week. Poor guy.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
DaveBrown21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i would actually not be against the idea of getting a "grinder" center for the fourth line... someone cheap that can kill penalties and win faceoffs...
Exactly. Steve Begin (UFA) would fit the bill, and at the right price (600k). He's the modern-day Keith Acton.

DaveBrown21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
crackerzack

Quote:
Gagne is not a rock of a player. Other posters on this board have noted this in the past, and Clarke has publically questioned the kid's wilingness to tough out injuries.

Maybe. I'd argue it matters when you have to reach down for Randy Jones to play defense because your 7th d-man has gone down.

But anyway, Therien is old, slow, and worn out. That player is always a candidate for injury, and the fact that he hasn't managed a full season since 99-00 (I'll let him slide on the two games he missed that year) speaks against him, too.

Are you saying you WERE surprised when he went down?
Gagne had one injury prone season, where his groin kept bothering him. People questioned his "willingnes to tough out injuries," but it wasn't until after the season that they figured out that he was really suffering from a severe abdominal strain.

Therien suffers more from the "healthy scratch" syndrome than from injuries.

And I think you are missing the point. Sure, a lot of players have a history of injuries. What professional athlete doesn't? But NO ONE expected everyone to go down at the same time and for an extended period of time.

crackerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 10:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't see how Forsberg will be out until January though. According to the reports, the healing time for each ankle will be 4 to 6 weeks. That makes 8 to 12 weeks in total. That's three months. I'd like to know how an extra five months is getting tacked on to the time frame. I'm betting just to be safe, Forsberg is back in November and we'll be OK. I also think the positive in this is that we will get to see what Richards can do over an extended period of time with Gagne and Knuble. If he does really well, we can keep him there and slowly bring Forsberg along.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerzack
And I think you are missing the point. Sure, a lot of players have a history of injuries. What professional athlete doesn't? But NO ONE expected everyone to go down at the same time and for an extended period of time.
Well for starters I'd want to know for just how long "everyone" was "down at the same time," but that aside, I think you're missing the point. If fans didn't expect that, more fool them. If you have a lot of brittle and/or older players, you're going to have a lot of injuries. Would anyone have expected the sheer number of man games lost? I doubt it, but it would have been a pretty safe bet that at any given time during the season, one or two players from the Flyers' roster would be injury scratches entirely because of the nature of that roster.

Two injuries is exactly what the Flyers walked into their series with Buffalo. They had Forsberg in their lineup for that series, and they still had their heads handed to them. This is where I entered the conversation.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I don't see how Forsberg will be out until January though. According to the reports, the healing time for each ankle will be 4 to 6 weeks. That makes 8 to 12 weeks in total. That's three months. I'd like to know how an extra five months is getting tacked on to the time frame. I'm betting just to be safe, Forsberg is back in November and we'll be OK. I also think the positive in this is that we will get to see what Richards can do over an extended period of time with Gagne and Knuble. If he does really well, we can keep him there and slowly bring Forsberg along.
He said the second he can take the cast off one foot, he'll have the other one done. So then another 6 weeks in a cast for the other foot, and then rehab and conditioning on essentially two brand new feet will begin. I don't think he'll be ready to play hockey after not having the use of his feet for at least 3 months. I'm assuming he'll actually be in a wheelchair for a lot of the time.

Old
05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
mikedifr

If they arent going to sign a forward to play on the top line, I go with Richards with Gagne and Knuble. Richards already showed some good chemistry with Knuble, and Gagne is sure as hell a lot better then Sim!! Then we can move Handzus back to center.

Gagne Richards Knuble
Umberger Carter FA
Dimitrakos Handus Rado
Eager Primeau Kapanen

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 11:00 PM
crackerzack

Quote:
Well for starters I'd want to know for just how long "everyone" was "down at the same time," but that aside, I think you're missing the point. If fans didn't expect that, more fool them. If you have a lot of brittle and/or older players, you're going to have a lot of injuries. Would anyone have expected the sheer number of man games lost? I doubt it, but it would have been a pretty safe bet that at any given time during the season, one or two players from the Flyers' roster would be injury scratches entirely because of the nature of that roster.

Two injuries is exactly what the Flyers walked into their series with Buffalo. They had Forsberg in their lineup for that series, and they still had their heads handed to them. This is where I entered the conversation.
Try looking right around the Olympic break, and you'll get the information you're looking for. Handzus went down, Forsberg had been out, Rathje went down, Pitkanen and Desjardins had just come back.

You're right, it probably was "a pretty safe bet that at any given time during the season, one or two players from the Flyer's roster would be injury scratches." No one would have "expected the sheer number of man games lost." Thank you for proving my point. Atleast FOUR players were too hurt to play in the playoffs: Johnsson, Therein, Primeau and Stevenson and those are just the ones too injured to be effective at all. Don't forget about all the walking wounded.

crackerzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I think we just entered the Elias lottery.
I don't think Elias will leave the Devils. Besides, getting him would destroy us under the salary cap.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:28 AM
reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
He said the second he can take the cast off one foot, he'll have the other one done. So then another 6 weeks in a cast for the other foot, and then rehab and conditioning on essentially two brand new feet will begin. I don't think he'll be ready to play hockey after not having the use of his feet for at least 3 months. I'm assuming he'll actually be in a wheelchair for a lot of the time.
This shows you how totally dedicated he is to hockey. They actually have to crush some bones in his feet and then let them heal again. It's almost like a medieval torturemetod according to swedish papers If he gets a major surgery like this that probably means he has a few years to go in the NHL which is good news, I don't think he would have this surgery if he was retiring in one or two seasons. Hopefully we can see a totally healthy foppa in 2007. This guy is just so amazing, even though he was injured all season he was still the best player in Philadelphia. But you could see he didn't have his usual skating, still best passes in the league though.

reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper
This shows you how totally dedicated he is to hockey. They actually have to crush some bones in his feet and then let them heal again. It's almost like a medieval torturemetod according to swedish papers If he gets a major surgery like this that probably means he has a few years to go in the NHL which is good news, I don't think he would have this surgery if he was retiring in one or two seasons. Hopefully we can see a totally healthy foppa in 2007. This guy is just so amazing, even though he was injured all season he was still the best player in Philadelphia. But you could see he didn't have his usual skating, still best passes in the league though.
I agree with all of this.

I had always thought Forsberg was a better skater than what he showed us through most of the year. I know there was the groin problem but this definitely explains it all now. Here's hoping we finally see him at 100% in 2007!

Old
05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
DrCrane

If they do this right it should be a blessing in the sky for the Flyers. It will prolong his career with a few years and most likely he will be back with the Flyers for a third year. I think he wants to have a full season in Philly. If the problems resurfaces once he comes back I fear it will be the end of the road for Peter. Fingers crossed and all that.

DrCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrane
If they do this right it should be a blessing in the sky for the Flyers. It will prolong his career with a few years and most likely he will be back with the Flyers for a third year. I think he wants to have a full season in Philly. If the problems resurfaces once he comes back I fear it will be the end of the road for Peter. Fingers crossed and all that.
I think he'll want to come back if his health is good but more importantly if they give him a team with a better chance at winning than this last season.

Old
05-11-2006, 01:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I don't think Elias will leave the Devils. Besides, getting him would destroy us under the salary cap.

He'll shop around, it about that time where he's going to want the payday.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 02:29 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
An OT question....whats with all the Forsberg haters on these boards anyways? This whole floppa thing is getting old. Is Forsberg the only guy who dives in this league? Truth be told he doesnt seem to do that as much this season as he was when he was an av.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
An OT question....whats with all the Forsberg haters on these boards anyways? This whole floppa thing is getting old. Is Forsberg the only guy who dives in this league? Truth be told he doesnt seem to do that as much this season as he was when he was an av.
Personally I think Foppa is suffering for same issue as larger scale were with Lemieux, Foppa isn't small guy so players can play more physically(with stick too) against him. Of course Lemieux had it in another level, like 3 guys hooking him same time etc. But anyway Foppa is playing physical so it's easier to be more physical against him than some smaller/weaker players.

And it's quite obvious he won't be doing it so much anymore when players aren't allowed to hook/interference so much.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 06:54 AM
RoDu

No one is as big of a diver as Derek Roy

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:17 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
The rule is if you are a Devil and you reach UFA status, you leave the "Swamp gulag". NJ will offer him around 7 mil, so will Toronto and probably a couple other teams with cap room. The Flyers now have the room with Forsberg out on IR, though I agree it is unlikely we actually land him. Seriously, I think there is a good chance on Selanne though.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Dr Love

Another thing that sucks about this is that it probably greatly increases the chances of Nedved being retained in the offseason.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
The rule is if you are a Devil and you reach UFA status, you leave the "Swamp gulag". NJ will offer him around 7 mil, so will Toronto and probably a couple other teams with cap room. The Flyers now have the room with Forsberg out on IR, though I agree it is unlikely we actually land him. Seriously, I think there is a good chance on Selanne though.
we don't have the room... his entire salary will count against the cap next season... we have Primeau... we're going to sign a Dman most likely... Gagne needs a raise...

we don't have room for a player like Elias... especially if you want to go after a guy like Redden.

it will be interesting to see if Clarke and Forsberg get together while he's recovering next season (thus not having too much to worry about other than hitting the gym/rehab)...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote