HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want Ribeiro back.

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
HappyPappy

vCash: 500
I want Ribeiro back.

I don't get why everyone wants to get rid of Ribs, sure he's not great but for what he costs and the way he played in the playoffs I'll take him on my team anytime.

What we really need is another solid winger because if Kovalev is injured we have nothing. Ryder can score but has to be fed the puck and Higgins is still young. We need a guy like Samsonov, Daze or Selanne. That would give us 2 solid lines and even if Kovalev or Ryder or whoever goes down then we still have some good scorers left.

Basically, keep Ribeiro and instead of wasting money on Arnott, spend it on a good winger.

Old
05-08-2006, 08:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe27
I don't get why everyone wants to get rid of Ribs, sure he's not great but for what he costs and the way he played in the playoffs I'll take him on my team anytime.

What we really need is another solid winger because if Kovalev is injured we have nothing. Ryder can score but has to be fed the puck and Higgins is still young. We need a guy like Samsonov, Daze or Selanne. That would give us 2 solid lines and even if Kovalev or Ryder or whoever goes down then we still have some good scorers left.

Basically, keep Ribeiro and instead of wasting money on Arnott, spend it on a good winger.
For the sake of arguement, Signing Arnott, whether or not he's the guy to target, doesn't have to send Ribs packing. He could conceivably play wing, Arnott could be a big bodied presend on the W, he has experience there. We presume one move leads to the next,but it may not be that way. btw, I have no problem with the names you mention except for Daze who may not play again, and who makes Saku seem like an ironman.

Old
05-08-2006, 08:35 AM
HappyPappy

Yeah Daze I threw in there because I assume he wouldn't cost much and would like to come to Montreal.
My point is I'd rather have a Selanne or Samsonov as an upgrade over Zednik than Arnott as an upgrade over Ribeiro and I don't think we have the caproom for both.

Assuming Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom are gone, our wingers will be:
Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Murray.
How can we get scoring with that, only Kovalev is a proven scorer and possibly Ryder. I like young guys but you can't rely on them for your top 2 lines. If they breakout then good but don't expect them to.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:

You and maybe 3 others.....
Ribiero is too slow, creative he is, but too slow. Cocky he is, but too small. He would love to hit and score and fight but unfortunately he CAN'T, because somewhere along his hockey career path he took a decision to be lazy. Now he's paying for it.Could you just imagine if he had taken his career a little more seriously and had put on, let's say 20 lbs. as fiesty as he can be (rare moments) he would have been a Dino Ciccerelli type player but anyhoo..He's gone..IMO NO MORE SMALL CENTERS with little hearts........GONE GONE GONE

Go Habs Go

Old
05-08-2006, 09:09 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Even Al Strachan mentioned that the Habs are a team on the rise and unlike teams like Detroit and Philly that have to almost explode their teams and start over, the Habs are in a good position with the players they have. Except he says mentions getting someone to take the Bonk contract and to drop Ribs. While I agree if nothing better can be found we might as well keep him, I rather have someone else though, ASAP.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't think this is out of the realm of possibilities at all. I'd actually be more inclined to think the team will find a winger (UFA or trade) than a center that fits the salary structure and team better.

Old
05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd be inclined to keep Ribeiro too... based mostly on the assumption that we would be unlikely to get his value back in a trade. I'm not going to deal him for a 3rd round draft pick or a Todd Simpson. Even though I'm no Ribeiro fan at all, I still acknowledge he brings more to us than that, and we're still not a strong enough team to be recklessly throwing away assets like that.

It wouldn't really come down to any question of Ribeiro vs. Arnott, or Ribeiro vs. any other potential FA signing. Ribeiro is simply a player asset that we don't have to give away, so, unless he pulls some stunt asking for a big raise on his current salary, I see no convincing reason to just let him go. Regardless of what other free agents we pursue. Who knows, we might find that he clicks with a guy like Dumont or whoever else we might consider bringing in, and ups his value to us.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Habruti!

Yes I agree with this last statement. Replacing Ribeiro or Plekanek in the center is something that needs to be done... It does not need to be done this summer through. Buy low sell high this is the mentality a GM should have. We do not have anybody to replace Ribs with at the moment. Arnott would be a good signing but he would be only a piece of the puzzle.

Guys like Elias, Samsonov, Dumont could automatically boost that second line which leaves more options for Gainey. We never know. Ribs is as no work ethics problem, he proved it this year. He can still work on his trength this summer and become a better player next year. He is not a bad solution. But we all know that upgrading one of our three smallish center would be good for the team and to me Ribs is the most likely to be upgraded.

I guess it all depends on who will decide to test the FA market, at this point everything is speculation because we do not even know if the Arnotts, Elias, Dumon, Samsonov of this world will be available this year.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:13 AM
hab

a solid guy to play LW with robiero and kovalev is a direction I am sure would make

this line click, but a guy like sampsonov is a mistake. these two need a hard

working 2 way guy that can go in the corners and score 20- 30 goals.

Old
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Dragon

Quote:

Keep wanting!

Old
05-08-2006, 10:46 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

Ribeiro is #71 on the team with the CH on the front. You know that right?

I think our weakness at centre was shown in the playoffs. Have you not noticed? Koivu goes down and this team dies. We NEED a new second line centre.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

Ribeiro will become an RFA shortly. Gainey will have to pay him something like $1.3-1.4M. That's no longer a cheap contract. Ribeiro does not have to given away for a third rounder or another Todd Simpson (who cost the Habs a sixth rounder), but I would suggest to those fans who insist on keeping him that they ought to have a more open mind.

Gainey would not be trading Ribeiro for the sake of getting rid of him at all costs. Rather, he would be doing it to improve the team. The suggestion that he try to acquire a Selanne or Elias to complement Ribeiro is not workable because those specific players would not be available. Moreover, a wing of the caliber of Patrik Elias would be far more expensive than any center who might become a UFA on July 1.

Gainey has just so much in his budget for next season, and in order to sign free agents who could improve the team he would have to cut roster players. Replacing Bulis and Sundstrom with players from Hamilton wouldn't save a fortune because those players would be on two-way contracts. Zednik and Bonk are another matter because they are still under contract. So Gainey has to perform delicate surgery if he wants to improve the team and at the same time control costs. Players who might have to be cut or traded to give Gainey breathing room, in addition to Bonk, Zednik, Simpson, and Downey, include Aebischer and Ribeiro. So start dreaming about what the team's future might be like instead of fixating on Ribeiro as though he were a superstar who will be around until the year 2015.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave

I think our weakness at centre was shown in the playoffs. Have you not noticed? Koivu goes down and this team dies. We NEED a new second line centre.
Scoring was a problem, not the center position necessarily. I agree it is weak, but so is the wing position. The fact that the first line looked entirely lost after Koivu went down is just as bad--if not worse--than the fact that Montreal's young second line center looked like a boy among men.

The fact that Montreal's second line LW was a non-factor throughout the entire season was a problem as well.

Those issues are just as pressing--if not more pressing--than second line C.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave

I hardly see why Ribeiro had anything to do with that. The 2nd line wasn't disrupted and I thought did quite well apart from Bulis. The "1st line" was horrid though. I don't know why they thought Begin or Bonk could center that line, but they were sadly mistaken.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
For the sake of arguement, Signing Arnott, whether or not he's the guy to target, doesn't have to send Ribs packing. He could conceivably play wing, Arnott could be a big bodied presend on the W, he has experience there. We presume one move leads to the next,but it may not be that way. btw, I have no problem with the names you mention except for Daze who may not play again, and who makes Saku seem like an ironman.

I have to agree with you here. We just have to be ready to dump a few saleries to prepare for the UFA season.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Matrix

Quote:

I have a deal for you.....You want him, that's fine, we'll ship it somewhere and you can start changing your favorite team.....

Old
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
RC51

If Gainey can land a good center then what about this.
Higgins/Koivu/Ryder
Zednik/Center/Kovalev
Prez/Ribs/Kost
Begin/Pleks/Bonk
Lapierre,Murray as spares.

This way the Habs can keep 4 centers

Old
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I hardly see why Ribeiro had anything to do with that. The 2nd line wasn't disrupted and I thought did quite well apart from Bulis. The "1st line" was horrid though. I don't know why they thought Begin or Bonk could center that line, but they were sadly mistaken.
I don't agree with your "quite well" comment. Kovalev got his points but Bulis and Ribeiro chipped in only two apiece. To single out Bulis while sparing Ribeiro (who had zero goals in six games) strikes me as a bit unfair. Also, every member of that horrid first line (except Koivu, who lasted only two games), including Bonk as well as Higgins and Ryder, had more points than Bulis or Ribeiro, and each of them scored at least one goal.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
If Gainey can land a good center then what about this.
Higgins/Koivu/Ryder
Zednik/Center/Kovalev
Prez/Ribs/Kost
Begin/Pleks/Bonk
Lapierre,Murray as spares.

This way the Habs can keep 4 centers
Apparently Zednik doesn't want to be here....so I hope he's shipped. Can't stand his one hander anymore.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Mike8

That's doing a serious disservice to Plekanec.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Apparently Zednik doesn't want to be here....so I hope he's shipped. Can't stand his one hander anymore.
So Gainey trades Zednik for another winger with grit

Old
05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Teufelsdreck

I like the idea of keeping Perezhogin and Plekanec together because they play a high tempo game. Their line (plus Zednik) may have been the Habs best against Carolina.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I like the idea of keeping Perezhogin and Plekanec together because they play a high tempo game. Their line (plus Zednik) may have been the Habs best against Carolina.
Question is: do you look to add another high-tempo dynamic player to that line, or do you look for some grit to complement the two?

Old
05-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

I wouldn't mind having Ribeiro back either as long as he is willing to tweak his game.

His play down the stretch was promising. I know Ribeiro has his limitations but if he plays hard, responsibly and finishes his checks, then he has a place on this team as a secondary offensive threat

Having said that Ribeiro would be a good secondary threat, I am obviously doubting that he will ever be the #2 center that this team needs in order for this franchise to take the next step. So if Ribs stays in montreal for the long run, it will have to be at a lesser offensive role (and probably as a winger). That's not to say that he cant be an offensive player for us but just not one of the primary go to guys.

Old
05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Question is: do you look to add another high-tempo dynamic player to that line, or do you look for some grit to complement the two?
I'd opt for another high-tempo dynamic player who can score. Such a combination would be more effective than adding a Bégin or a Murray.

Closed Thread