HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would this kill an Atlanta deal for you?

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Would this kill an Atlanta deal for you?

This is from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"The most talked about player -- and most available -- is restricted free agent Mike Comrie, 23, whose rights belong to Edmonton. The Thrashers likely would be able to obtain Comrie for 6-foot-5 prospect Braydon Coburn, 18, whom the Oilers tried to move up to pick at last summer's draft.

Waddell has been reluctant to part with the defenseman, saying, "Braydon Coburn isn't going anywhere."

So if you were in charge would this nix any deal with the Thrashers? For me, it would. I know people have talked about Stefan and Exelby, but the Oilers already have a Jason Smith-type d-man, and while Exelby will be a good player, I think the Oilers need to go for the homerun for once.

Personally, if Coburn wasn't on the table, I wouldn't even think of trading with Atlanta.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:45 AM
jadeddog

i have *always* thought the atlanta deal was VERY weak... even with coburn in the deal.... stefan + coburn isnt enough for comrie IMO, so it defenitly would not be enough without coburn

Old
11-05-2003, 11:49 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I agree. Stefan and Coburn I might do for comrie. Anything less nixes Atlanta from the possibility list. Comrie is just such a talent and we need players back for him. If we go quantity over quality for Comrie I am going to scream.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Cerebral

I wouldn't make a deal with Atlanta unless Coburn was involved.. Stefan alone just doesn't interest me all that much. Likewise, I'm one of the few that feel Exelby's potential is a lot lower than most people think. Now Kovalchuk would be nice on the other hand..

Old
11-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Hemsky01

Without Coyburn, it is no deal for me. Atlanta has nothing on their team other than Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lohtenen, Coburn, that I would even be interested in for Laraque, nevermind Comrie(forgive me if I'm missing someone obvious)

Old
11-05-2003, 12:06 PM
jofa

Lehtonen would be just a dandy replacement, thank you very much.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:11 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I agree. I think you can pretty much cross Atlanta off the list of possible destinations for Comrie. Who knows though. Maybe Waddell is trying to squeeze more out of Lowe. Make him think Coburn is untouchable and then offer him up at the last minute at a bloated price.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Slats432

Even if we were to list all of the possibilities from Atlanta, none of them would make us jump for joy.
The A list.

Stefan
Coburn
Exelby
Foster
Safronov
Hurme
Lehtonen(Most likely falls into the no trade list)

And the B list.

Sutton
Nurminen
Santala
Majesky

The rest are untouchable or YUCKY.

My hope would be to get Stefan, Exelby and Coburn in a deal. May have to add to Comrie but we have some pretty good players that are in TO that could either be moved or moved up.

Comrie plus change for the three of them. I would be happy at that point.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:20 PM
FacelessButcher

no Coburn kills the deal for me too.Lehtonen or a combination like Exelby+1st could repirk my interests(which of course won't happen) but I don't know if Atlanta has enough expendable quality assets to make it worth our while. Well one less possible destination for Comrie, oh well.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Digger12

Patiently waiting for the Atlanta fans to storm on here and tell us we're all CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY, we'd be lucky to get Exelby for Comrie straight up...

Old
11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Hockey Mojo

If you all up there in oil country feel that Coburn and Stefan couldn't land the Thrashers Comrie better think again! As Waddell stated,"We're in the market for a player. We have to have a trade partner. We won't make a bad trade just to bring in a warm body here." First, deflate your egos and let's get realistic for once on Comrie's worth. We're all tired of all the Comrie threads on what he'll bring in return. You can hope and dream all you want. Your not going to win the lottery any time soon or ever! Last trade ever for Comrie and then let it rest. :moon:

To the Oil:
Foster/Safronov

To the Thrash:
M. Comrie

Old
11-05-2003, 12:48 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
If you all up there in oil country feel that Coburn and Stefan couldn't land the Thrashers Comrie better think again! As Waddell stated,"We're in the market for a player. We have to have a trade partner. We won't make a bad trade just to bring in a warm body here." First, deflate your egos and let's get realistic for once on Comrie's worth. We're all tired of all the Comrie threads on what he'll bring in return. You can hope and dream all you want. Your not going to win the lottery any time soon or ever! Last trade ever for Comrie and then let it rest. :moon:

To the Oil:
Foster/Safronov

To the Thrash:
M. Comrie
Unfortunately, the Oilers need someone who can actually play, so this one isn't going anywhere.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Marconius

Quote:

To the Oil:
Foster/Safronov

To the Thrash:
M. Comrie
take another pull off the bong why-don't-you

Old
11-05-2003, 12:59 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
thats a reasonable proposal no need to be mean Atlanta's first pick is worth a lot and niether of the two players are horrendous. We just want someone who can play for us this year and fit right into our line-up.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Seachd

Quote:
You can hope and dream all you want. Your not going to win the lottery any time soon or ever! Last trade ever for Comrie and then let it rest. :moon:

To the Oil:
Foster/Safronov

To the Thrash:
M. Comrie
I feel pretty confident saying that the Thrashers aren't going to win the lottery by getting Comrie for next to nothing, which is what most Atlanta fans' counteroffers are.

I don't see anything overly interesting on Atlanta except for Coburn. The first is nice, but Foster/Safronov isn't.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Blatny Spears

Jim Slater is an 'A' prospect. Don't forget about him; he has good trade value. Ilya Nikulin and Libor Ustrnul are solid d-man prospects and are on par with Foster and Safronov potential-wise. We also have Simon Gamache. OK, who am I kidding? We'll be lucky to get anything for Gamache. I'm hoping we can trade him while other GMs are dazzled by his junior and AHL stats.

How is Stefan and our 2004 1st plus one of Foster/Safronov for Comrie?

Or, Jim Slater and our 2004 1st for Comrie and a 3rd round pick?

Old
11-05-2003, 02:26 PM
TheChase

Coburn and Stefan and swap first round picks for Comrie , Chimera

Y or N

Old
11-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
Jim Slater is an 'A' prospect. Don't forget about him; he has good trade value. Ilya Nikulin and Libor Ustrnul are solid d-man prospects and are on par with Foster and Safronov potential-wise. We also have Simon Gamache. OK, who am I kidding? We'll be lucky to get anything for Gamache. I'm hoping we can trade him while other GMs are dazzled by his junior and AHL stats.

How is Stefan and our 2004 1st plus one of Foster/Safronov for Comrie?

Or, Jim Slater and our 2004 1st for Comrie and a 3rd round pick?
First one isn't all that bad, but probably not what KLO would accept.

Second one, no at this point in time.

Thank you for being reasonable though (maybe you could pass the message about civility on to Hockey Mojo)

Old
11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

what in the name of high school football did that atlanta boy say. anyhou unless coburn is included, please lowe instantly nix this idea. the reality is i would not be surprised if a lot of teams are scared away by comries salary expectations, really ridiculous but what do you expect from a guy like winter.he seems to think he can hit a homerun for comrie before the next cba, what a dreamer.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:02 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
Coburn and Stefan and swap first round picks for Comrie , Chimera

Y or N
1) If Coburn's not avail, he's not avail.

2) Why not just give EDM the 1st in the deal, instead of the swap? What would be so bad abut having 2 1sts?

Old
11-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Shizuka

Once again, we are seeing "potential" and "maybe" instead of a sure, proven return i.e. a current roster, top six F / top four D. Yes, I understand we have to work within budget constraints and legions of egos, personalities, etc. (referring to other teams' scouts, coaching staff, management, and the players themselves) and as such, other teams' management aren't willing to just give up said top line player(s). It would be nice to get more than reclamation projects / prospects. I guess that is the frustrating thing being an Oiler fan; this is what you usually get to work with.

Lowe had already stated previously to the press that he wants a current, regular NHL contributor coming this way in any potential Comrie trade. Coburn does not fit that bill. Yes, he may become a really good D-man in the future. Personally speaking I would be supremely disappointed if all we get back in return for Comrie (whom I would still prefer to sign and stay here...fat chance of that happening though) is yet another prospect that "might" turn into something special. As long as the team is winning consistently (which they aren't at the moment, obviously) then Lowe can afford to deal from a position of strength. If we continue to struggle as we have been, then I still believe that forces his hand somewhat and as a result we are forced to take what is given, rather than having a choice. When I think back to the Satan deal, the Whitney fiasco, I wince to think that will happen with Comrie i.e. he goes away, becomes a consistent and high point producer, and we have to clean the egg off our faces again. Different management, lineup and scouting staff back then, yes...I sure hope we don't see a repeat though.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Seachd

I would be completely satisfied with young players/prospects provided they're good enough (and I'm talking really good - the Coburn type). This team, no matter who they add, is not good enough to make a serious run this year. So I don't see the problem in stocking up for post-CBA. Edmonton seems to get the most out of their youngsters, so it might not be too bad of an idea. I also don't see the Oilers landing anyone like Marleau, Legwand, Gagne, etc., and I won't settle for a band-aid like Stefan. Who are you thinking you would like in return?

Old
11-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

hey...

I for one really like Gamache and think he would gel nicely with the Oilers. Ilya Nikulin is sort of intriguing but Safronov has the help now name tag. Personally i would rather Gamache than Stefan so this is what i think the Oilers should demand from Atlanta.

To Atlanta: Mike Comrie and Jason Chimera/Shawn Horcoff

To Edmonton: Jani Hurme, Garnet Exelby, Simon Gamache and the option to flip first round picks in either 2004 or 2005

How does that look value wise...our defense just got a whole lot better and two of Gamache/Salmo/Rita/Sarno/Stoll become regulars rather than minor leaguers. My personal picks would be Gamache and Rita.

I think another deal is necessary though and it should involve Philly.

To Philly: Tommy Salo, one of Jason Smith/Eric Brewer, and a 3rd rounder

To Edmonton: Simon Gagne and Jeff Woywitka

I like these deals and our new depth chart looks like;

Forwards
Smyth Gagne Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Isbister Gamache/Sarno/Stoll Laraque

Pressbox = One of Gamache/Sarno/Stoll/Rita and whoever is left out of Chimera/Horcoff

Defense
Brewer/Smith and Semenov
Staios and Bergeron
Exelby and Cross

Pressbox = Ferguson/Woywitka

Goal
Hurme
Conklin

Wow we'd gain a lot of depth all the way around with those deals...I hope if KLO has the chance to swing those deals he would do it pronto.
We would have 4 regulars leaving town (2 forwards, 1 d-man, 1 goalie) and 5 new faces arriving (2 forwards, 2 d-man and a goalie).

What does everyone think...are these proposals feasible or am i out to lunch?

Old
11-05-2003, 06:42 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle

To Atlanta: Mike Comrie and Jason Chimera/Shawn Horcoff

To Edmonton: Jani Hurme, Garnet Exelby, Simon Gamache and the option to flip first round picks in either 2004 or 2005

To Philly: Tommy Salo, one of Jason Smith/Eric Brewer, and a 3rd rounder

To Edmonton: Simon Gagne and Jeff Woywitka
Philly would pass on the deal without even thinking. It's a simple no for them I think. maybe if Eric Brewer was included they woudl think about it. With Jason Smith it is an instant no. There is a huge difference value wise between Smith and Brewer.

The Atlanta deal doesn't look too bad. Although Hurme is a waiver pickup with little value and Gamache is not expected to succeed in the NHL. I'm not sure a swap of picks would even be that valuable either if Altanta picks up Comrie and Chimera without giving up an NHL player.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I did, we re winning your????????
I guess we have some better home-ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread