HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will fill in for Forsberg?

Old
05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Svatos4MVP

vCash: 500
Who will fill in for Forsberg?

With Forsberg being injured for nearly half the season and assuming Primeau is gone for good, who do you think will be the Flyers #1 center for the first half of next season? I'm from the midwest, so I don't get to see many televised Flyers games. Is Carter or Richards ready to step up? Will Clarke sign someone as a temp?

Svatos4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos4MVP
With Forsberg being injured for nearly half the season and assuming Primeau is gone for good, who do you think will be the Flyers #1 center for the first half of next season? I'm from the midwest, so I don't get to see many televised Flyers games. Is Carter or Richards ready to step up? Will Clarke sign someone as a temp?

No one knows right now and there is much speculation to that in the Philadelphia and surrounding newspapers. An example:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

Clarke said the team will have to count on its current depth at center that includes Keith Primeau, Michal Handzus, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Petr Nedved to fill the void until Forsberg returns, but that if Primeau doesn’t return, the problems on the roster could loom even larger.

"Peter missed about 20-25 games this season so we can play along without him for the length of time it takes," said Clarke. "We are going to have to. And we believe that we will have Primeau back. If Primeau doesn’t come back, then there’s going to be some big holes. We’ll survive until Peter comes back and we’ll be stronger if Primeau comes back. We are going to be awfully young anyway. That will just put some more heat some of our pretty good young players."

Luckily, the Flyers won’t have to count Forsberg’s $5.75 million salary against the salary cap until he returns, giving them a lot more room than originally anticipated as they head into the summer and free agency.

Still, it will be much harder for the Flyers to compete without Forsberg in the lineup. In the 60 games he played this past season, the Flyers were 35-16-9. In the 22 games he missed, they were a pedestrian 10-10-2.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Lupul*

Flyers will trade for Crosby, and he will fill in. Once Forsberg returns, we'll probably trade Crosby away for a pick or just waive him.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Still, it will be much harder for the Flyers to compete without Forsberg in the lineup. In the 60 games he played this past season, the Flyers were 35-16-9. In the 22 games he missed, they were a pedestrian 10-10-2.[/I]

So then it's time to do something about it. We have the room to move. God forbid Peter gets hurt again after he comes back from injury and we don't have someone or we have to give up some assets to get someone in here who can help out.

It doesn't take rocket science - Forsberg or not this team needs another proven goalscorer anyways

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
RoDu

Team still needs an actual captain just incase Primeau is a no go

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
No one knows right now and there is much speculation to that in the Philadelphia and surrounding newspapers. An example:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

Clarke said the team will have to count on its current depth at center that includes Keith Primeau, Michal Handzus, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Petr Nedved to fill the void until Forsberg returns, but that if Primeau doesn’t return, the problems on the roster could loom even larger.

"Peter missed about 20-25 games this season so we can play along without him for the length of time it takes," said Clarke. "We are going to have to. And we believe that we will have Primeau back. If Primeau doesn’t come back, then there’s going to be some big holes. We’ll survive until Peter comes back and we’ll be stronger if Primeau comes back. We are going to be awfully young anyway. That will just put some more heat some of our pretty good young players."

Luckily, the Flyers won’t have to count Forsberg’s $5.75 million salary against the salary cap until he returns, giving them a lot more room than originally anticipated as they head into the summer and free agency.

Still, it will be much harder for the Flyers to compete without Forsberg in the lineup. In the 60 games he played this past season, the Flyers were 35-16-9. In the 22 games he missed, they were a pedestrian 10-10-2.
Hopefully primeau bumbs into somoene while at the supermarket and his symptoms return. We dont need the uncertainty.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
bodangleroo28

i would kill a man if we could get savard

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6
i would kill a man if we could get savard
I'll look forward to seeing you in the news then.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
MASK

Send a message via AIM to MASK
Jr

MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 08:24 PM
mikedifr

If primeau comes back, give Richards a shot. If Primeau doesnt come back, sign DOug Weight (or Savard, but dont think we can get him and teh defense help we need) to pass the puck to Gagne. Then when Forsberg come back, put him on the wing with Carter and Umberger.

I dont want Nedved on this team anymore

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 10:55 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10
Flyers will trade for Crosby, and he will fill in. Once Forsberg returns, we'll probably trade Crosby away for a pick or just waive him.
Jesus, if you're going to talk ridiculous at least go for the better of the two rookies and use the name Ovechkin instead of Criesby.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:29 AM
bennysflyers16

Joe Sakic !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
FlyersFanJS

i'd love sakic but there is just no way....a problem i see is that although forsberg's contract won't count against the cap till january, in january we'll have a problem. we need a number 1 center to fill in for forsberg, but we can't do it because of the salary when forsberg comes back...i say spend the money on the defense where we need it and let carter or richards play with gagne and knuble for an extended period of time

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
i think dougie weight is a good option.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
i think dougie weight is a good option.
he has crossed my mind... he has played wing some in his career... yes? if he's affordable he might be an excellent option for the RW w/ Carter.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 06:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

You know something, I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will look into seeing what it will cost to acquire Mats Sundin from Toronto. From all accounts in Toronto, Sundin has put his Toronto home up for sale and is very disenchanted with the Leafs organization right now for their lack of a game plan heading into the following season. There were also reports that Sundin was hinting retirement with regards to how upset he currently is with the Leafs organization. If anything, he's got Toronto bent over a barrel right now in terms of what they could ask for in return for Mats. If we could get Mats for a first and a prospect like Potulny or Downie, then I'm all for it.

Nobody is really sure if Primeau will play again and with Forsberg being out the length of time he'll be out, that could make it very easy for the Flyers to acquire Mats and he could step into the top spot right away and play with some talented players. He could be really good fit in Philadelphia.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
he has crossed my mind... he has played wing some in his career... yes? if he's affordable he might be an excellent option for the RW w/ Carter.
I was thinking that too. Sign Weight, play him with Gagne and Knuble. If they work, when Forsberg comes back, put him on the wing with Carter and Umberger, or swap Forsberg and Weight, whichever works better. That gives you two good lines that each have a shooter (Carter, Gagne) playmaker (Forsberg, Weight) and a guy to do the dirty work, get rebounds, etc (Umberger, Knuble). Not sure what his status is due to his injury and contract, but I would even mind having Zhamnov back for a year if healthy, he played very well with Gagne as well. He might be a cheaper option.

Fact is they need someone.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
You know something, I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will look into seeing what it will cost to acquire Mats Sundin from Toronto. From all accounts in Toronto, Sundin has put his Toronto home up for sale and is very disenchanted with the Leafs organization right now for their lack of a game plan heading into the following season. There were also reports that Sundin was hinting retirement with regards to how upset he currently is with the Leafs organization. If anything, he's got Toronto bent over a barrel right now in terms of what they could ask for in return for Mats. If we could get Mats for a first and a prospect like Potulny or Downie, then I'm all for it.

Nobody is really sure if Primeau will play again and with Forsberg being out the length of time he'll be out, that could make it very easy for the Flyers to acquire Mats and he could step into the top spot right away and play with some talented players. He could be really good fit in Philadelphia.
I will repeat it in this thread.

Paul Maurice was on HNIC telling everyone not to read into the selling of the house. Sundin will be the go to guy in Toronto next year. Maurice was talking about how he plans to give him more ice time than Quinn did this last year because top players need to play as much as possible.

Old
05-12-2006, 10:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
I will repeat it in this thread.

Paul Maurice was on HNIC telling everyone not to read into the selling of the house. Sundin will be the go to guy in Toronto next year. Maurice was talking about how he plans to give him more ice time than Quinn did this last year because top players need to play as much as possible.
See, I beg to differ on that. Maurice's job is to try to sell everyone on the idea that he plans on doling out all sorts of ice time to Sundin. Fact of the matter is that Sundin played on average more minutes than any Leaf forward or defenseman.

Personally, I believe that Sundin selling his house is a huge statement. It's statement that he wants out of Toronto. He gave them his all for 12 years and they provided him with squat for linemates. A beat up Gary Roberts beyond his prime and washed up Alexander Mogilny do not count as being credible linemates.

I'm willing to bet in the next couple of weeks, the Sundin/Leafs divorce will become imminent.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
See, I beg to differ on that. Maurice's job is to try to sell everyone on the idea that he plans on doling out all sorts of ice time to Sundin. Fact of the matter is that Sundin played on average more minutes than any Leaf forward or defenseman.

Personally, I believe that Sundin selling his house is a huge statement. It's statement that he wants out of Toronto. He gave them his all for 12 years and they provided him with squat for linemates. A beat up Gary Roberts beyond his prime and washed up Alexander Mogilny do not count as being credible linemates.

I'm willing to bet in the next couple of weeks, the Sundin/Leafs divorce will become imminent.
I'm not sure where you live, but everyone in Toronto, including the sports channels, seem to think Sundin is staying and he's looking forward to it.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:42 PM
goodrev

Joe Sakic anyone?

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 11:45 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
Joe Sakic anyone?
No thanks.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Vman

Umburger

Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 03:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, if the Flyers decide to fill the position from within, then it will be Richards who will more than likely get top billing with Gagne and Knuble. If that's the case, then I think we should expect Patrice Bergeron-type numbers from Richards.

I'm pretty sure that Hitch won't mess around with the Carter/Umberger line. The only thing different I can see is Hitch giving the line more ice time. I'm thinking the top line will probably average 20 minutes a game, which should mean that the Carter/Umberger line should get about 17 to 18 minutes a game. That leaves 22 minutes for the 3rd and 4th lines. Give the third line 14 minutes a game and give the 4th 8 minutes a game. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration PP and PK time, but it should be an average the Flyers will be looking at.

Old
05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, if the Flyers decide to fill the position from within, then it will be Richards who will more than likely get top billing with Gagne and Knuble. If that's the case, then I think we should expect Patrice Bergeron-type numbers from Richards.

I'm pretty sure that Hitch won't mess around with the Carter/Umberger line. The only thing different I can see is Hitch giving the line more ice time. I'm thinking the top line will probably average 20 minutes a game, which should mean that the Carter/Umberger line should get about 17 to 18 minutes a game. That leaves 22 minutes for the 3rd and 4th lines. Give the third line 14 minutes a game and give the 4th 8 minutes a game. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration PP and PK time, but it should be an average the Flyers will be looking at.
regardless of the planned breakdown, Carter is going to see a lot more PP time with Forsberg on the shelf.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote