HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Vokoun contingency plan(trade proposal)

Old
06-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Do the Preds still need a top-4 defensive defenseman who can play physical?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 06:22 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Depends on whether or not they bring Witt back.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Do the Preds still need a top-4 defensive defenseman who can play physical?

not if the words "rathje" or "hatcher" are floating around in your head

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 10:34 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Agreed. I'd much rather have Witt than either of those two. I'm not Witt fan, but he should come a lot cheaper than those two.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I was going to suggest Hatcher because the Flyers need a more conservative defensive defenseman to pair with Pitkanen, ala Rathje.

Hatcher could work out as a good player for Suter to play next to. He can play 23-26 minutes a night even strength and five minutes a night on the PK. He blocked 113 shots and had the same number of hits, although he didn't go out looking for hits (disappointing).

Now the cons. As the playoffs came around, Hatcher wasnt nearly as physical as he was during the regular season. Some of us contribute that with his knee injury, which resulted from Hitchcock playing him 30 minutes a night on some days. Also, he's pretty much useless offensively; his one short-handed goal came from a wild pass that ricocheted in goal. He occasionally wired a shot on net but not with enough regularity to warrent a spot on the power-play (suprise).

His contract sounds aweful but it's honestly not that bad. He has three more years remaining at 3.5 million dollars. You can expect to pay out your *** for one of the FA defenseman and trade even more for a cheap one (as you know from personal experience).

-----------------------------------------

Some teams are obviously going to think twice about having players who have footspeed issues but I honestly feel that Nashville has a quick enough team to compensate for a lead footed defenseman. Just my two cents is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed. I'd much rather have Witt than either of those two. I'm not Witt fan, but he should come a lot cheaper than those two.
I think a lot of people would take a cheap Witt ahead of Hatcher. I'm not one of them though. Witt takes too many penalties for my likeing.

Old
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I was going to suggest Hatcher because the Flyers need a more conservative defensive defenseman to pair with Pitkanen, ala Rathje.

Hatcher could work out as a good player for Suter to play next to. He can play 23-26 minutes a night even strength and five minutes a night on the PK. He blocked 113 shots and had the same number of hits, although he didn't go out looking for hits (disappointing).

Now the cons. As the playoffs came around, Hatcher wasnt nearly as physical as he was during the regular season. Some of us contribute that with his knee injury, which resulted from Hitchcock playing him 30 minutes a night on some days. Also, he's pretty much useless offensively; his one short-handed goal came from a wild pass that ricocheted in goal. He occasionally wired a shot on net but not with enough regularity to warrent a spot on the power-play (suprise).

His contract sounds aweful but it's honestly not that bad. He has three more years remaining at 3.5 million dollars. You can expect to pay out your *** for one of the FA defenseman and trade even more for a cheap one (as you know from personal experience).

-----------------------------------------

Some teams are obviously going to think twice about having players who have footspeed issues but I honestly feel that Nashville has a quick enough team to compensate for a lead footed defenseman. Just my two cents is all.
If I actually thought we were going to spend around $4 million to satisfy our defensive concerns, Hatcher would make more sense though he's hardly the ideal solution. But I don't think we are going to plan on spending that much on the blueline and tossing that much money Hatcher's way really limits who we can approach regarding centers.

Old
06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
If I actually thought we were going to spend around $4 million to satisfy our defensive concerns, Hatcher would make more sense though he's hardly the ideal solution. But I don't think we are going to plan on spending that much on the blueline and tossing that much money Hatcher's way really limits who we can approach regarding centers.
Right, who's the first line center in Nashville right now? Is it Legwand?

Old
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Right, who's the first line center in Nashville right now? Is it Legwand?
Depends. As of now, it's Legwand. But the hope is that we can find someone as good that can battle Leggy for the #1 spot, and the loser would take the #2. Then, for me, I'd like to see us acquire a 3rd line center like Malhotra. He'll give us flexibility for if Legwand gets injured while providing the gritty play and physicality that we need.

Ideally, we'd love to have someone like Carter. He's someone cheap who can come in and battle with Legwand and wouldn't be out of place settling in on the second line. He would give us the financial flexibility to land a solid defenseman and a center like Malhotra and still be under any self-imposed cap we plan on having.

Old
06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually Legwand isn't signed yet either.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Depends. As of now, it's Legwand. But the hope is that we can find someone as good that can battle Leggy for the #1 spot, and the loser would take the #2. Then, for me, I'd like to see us acquire a 3rd line center like Malhotra. He'll give us flexibility for if Legwand gets injured while providing the gritty play and physicality that we need.

Ideally, we'd love to have someone like Carter. He's someone cheap who can come in and battle with Legwand and wouldn't be out of place settling in on the second line. He would give us the financial flexibility to land a solid defenseman and a center like Malhotra and still be under any self-imposed cap we plan on having.
Unfortunately, Carter and Pitkanen are one of two players that are untouchable on the Flyers roster. Mark my words, Carter will have a better career than Gagne.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Actually Legwand isn't signed yet either.....
Yeah, but as an RFA coming off a terrible season, I don't think he'll be that hard to sign. I think it's more or less assumed that he'll be signed.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Unfortunately, Carter and Pitkanen are one of two players that are untouchable on the Flyers roster. Mark my words, Carter will have a better career than Gagne.
What about Richards? He fits the Predators mold moreso than Carter, but many feel he doesn't have near the upside. He's the type of player that I know Hitch loves, so he might not be on the way out. If the Preds acquired Richards, I'd be ecstatic.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:11 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
What about Richards? He fits the Predators mold moreso than Carter, but many feel he doesn't have near the upside. He's the type of player that I know Hitch loves, so he might not be on the way out. If the Preds acquired Richards, I'd be ecstatic.
I'd take either. They appear to be the only ready-to-go young centers that we could at all feasibly acquire (though it's still a long shot).

With Poile's comments after the Sillinger release, you have to wonder what he means with "we're going to see what's available on July 1." The only options I think he could be referring to are:

Arnott (likely going to cash in big time, would be afraid to give him a long contract)
Lindros (high risk, high reward, low contract)
Weight (leadership, but losing offensive touch)
Roenick (seems to be done)

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
I think he can be moved for an over-payment but I don't want to be the one to make a proposal for it. He's continually impressed me since the day he stepped into the Wachovia center and I honestly think he cares about this team. Last time we dealt one of those players, he wound up in two SC finals.

If Clarke and Snider stay true to their words, the only centers available via trades will be Zeus and Primeau, although Ryan Potulny could be had for less.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I'd take either. They appear to be the only ready-to-go young centers that we could at all feasibly acquire (though it's still a long shot).

With Poile's comments after the Sillinger release, you have to wonder what he means with "we're going to see what's available on July 1." The only options I think he could be referring to are:

Arnott (likely going to cash in big time, would be afraid to give him a long contract)
Lindros (high risk, high reward, low contract)
Weight (leadership, but losing offensive touch)
Roenick (seems to be done)
I think he could mean that they will look to the UFA market first and if nothing strikes them, move to another route. And there could potentially be a few buyouts. There's talk that Radek Bonk could be bought out. While I don't think it's in any way probable, there might be a nice center or two that hits the market via buyout.

A player like Bonk could be quite useful. He's not the perfect answer to our needs, but he's a helluvalot better than what we've currently got. I think his year in Montreal killed his value and he could be had for cheap.

Old
06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I think he can be moved for an over-payment but I don't want to be the one to make a proposal for it. He's continually impressed me since the day he stepped into the Wachovia center and I honestly think he cares about this team. Last time we dealt one of those players, he wound up in two SC finals.

If Clarke and Snider stay true to their words, the only centers available via trades will be Zeus and Primeau, although Ryan Potulny could be had for less.
Potulny might not be a bad guy to have in the stable, but he's nowhere near ready to handle the workload the Preds would likely demand from him.

Handzus remains a very intriguing option. Like a lot of players, he's not the perfect fit. But for the cost, he could provide us a valuable two-way center. And I doubt he'll be too expensive on the trade market either.

Old
06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Potulny might not be a bad guy to have in the stable, but he's nowhere near ready to handle the workload the Preds would likely demand from him.

Handzus remains a very intriguing option. Like a lot of players, he's not the perfect fit. But for the cost, he could provide us a valuable two-way center. And I doubt he'll be too expensive on the trade market either.
Handzus' trade value should be in the dirt. 11 goals? I might be willing to give him a shot, but we shouldn't be giving up much of anything. Adam Hall maybe.

The most intriguing option to me (outside of acquiring a young-gun center) is Lindros. He'll be dirt cheap (for reason, of course). But, if luck is on our side, we get a 1st line center for a million or so. If it doesn't work out, we look for trade options.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote