HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do It The Brian Burke Way

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2006, 09:39 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Do It The Brian Burke Way

he has done a masterful job developing his team in only his first year as GM.
The bottom line is he saw great potential out of his youth and trusted them to play
major roles. He wasn`t a fool when he took over, he dumped the Fedorov`s etc..
who didn`t fit into his long term plans , weren`t worth the money , etc..
He made a major splash by getting a top 3 Dman in Neidermayer , and resigning
a key vet in Selanne at the right price, ( he has played over his head , at 36
he probably wont do this next year ) He devloped a hard working skilled team with
the right componenets moving ofrward . He can now move Gigurerre for some hlep , knowing his young goalie has played great . We have started the path with kids
slowly this year , and hope he gives them a bigger chance to shine next year .

Old
05-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Capitano

Man...Scott Niedermayer is worth every single penny...

Cap

Old
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
ti-vite

Gainey has dumped salary (Theo)
Gainey has given an importnat role to youth this season (Higs, Plek, Perez, Murray)
I'm sure he tried to get a top D...hopefully this season
Gainey has flexibility of moving a goaler, pending the signature of Huet.

Old
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
Gainey has dumped salary (Theo)
Gainey has given an importnat role to youth this season (Higs, Plek, Perez, Murray)
I'm sure he tried to get a top D...hopefully this season
Gainey has flexibility of moving a goaler, pending the signature of Huet.
If Gainey can get Redden or Chara I'd be thrilled...lots of competition out there though...

Cap

Old
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
ti-vite

Chara would be awesome, highly improbable though.

Would love to see a post goal celebration, all players huddled together, with Bouillons face looking up from Charas knee lol...

Old
05-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Russeltown

Quote:

Would love to see a post goal celebration, all players huddled together, with Bouillons face looking up from Charas knee lol...
They would do a nice D-pair Bouillon could skate between Chara's legs

Old
05-12-2006, 10:12 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
They would do a nice D-pair Bouillon could skate between Chara's legs
Chara: Cube switch! (Bouillon seamlessly through Chara legs)

Bob Cole: 'Ohhhhhhhhhh my! Chara almost squished the other defenseman...Boil-on!'

Old
05-12-2006, 10:17 AM
CaptCrunch

Niedermayer was sure a great addition to the team.

However, I don't think that's what makes the ducks great.

What gives them the edge is the ability to turn lead into gold.

Signing undrafted prospects (Dustin Penner?), finding a solid underated defenseman for peanuts, drafting young guys and grooming them to have a solid impact.

There are tons of rookies on this team. They are making a real difference.

Another scary thing is that it is said that their AHL affiliate is stacked with other guys who could make a real difference.

I'd put it more with great scouting and an incredible knack for helping young players to find their game than Niedermayer...

Although I agree that he is an essential piece to the puzzle, I don't think we would do a very good job of following the Duck's success by copying their most obvious moves: signing an elite UFA defenseman.

Old
05-12-2006, 10:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
If Gainey can get Redden or Chara I'd be thrilled...lots of competition out there though...

Cap
Am all for Redden. Maybe not Niedermeyer money but I would sign him to a nice long term deal. With him and Markov on the point it would be sweet.

Old
05-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
The bottom line is he saw great potential out of his youth and trusted them to play
he probably wont do this next year ) He devloped a hard working skilled team with
the right componenets moving ofrward . He can now move Gigurerre for some hlep , knowing his young goalie has played great . We have started the path with kids

Yes, because it's just that easy to build a winning team.

Gainey's done a fantastic job, and I mean fantastic when you look at:

-How much Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Komisarek have progressed since taking over as coach

-How we fared vs Carolina, who, in my opinion will win the cup this year.

-Steve Begin

-traded for and re-signed Kovalev

Let's give some props to Bob, and not the flavour of the week(not to say that Burke isn't a great GM)!

Old
05-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Mike8

I like Burke a lot, but what he brings to a team is an abrasive quality; both in his mannerism and in his roster-movement. When he takes over a team he cleans house similarly to Keenan: identifies players he likes, and removes everything that doesn't fit in that category.

The end-result is an entertaining, tenacious brand of hockey. But he hasn't proven he can build a winner.

Gainey's more methodical in his approach. It will take him longer to build a team, but based on his history--that approach winds up building not only a strong team, but a strong organization top-to-bottom.

Burke tends to rub some people the wrong way and Vancouver/Hartford were not known for being closely-knit teaching-organizations.

That said, I'm very pleased that the Bruins screwed up by not pursuing Burke who openly stated he liked Boston when he was removed from Vancouver.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
turnbuckle*

Burke didn't clean house; he inherited lots of key components which he proceeded to surround with solid role players and Neidermayer and Selanne.

Bryzgalov
Giguere
Salei
Visnevsky
Lupul
Perry
Getzlaf
Penner
McDonald
Pahlsson
R. Neidermayer
Kunitz
Smid
Ryan

That's a really solid base to build from. Bryan Murray didn't leave the cupboard bare, far from it.

Burke deserves credit, don't get me wrong, but some of his moves weren't exactly universally applauded. Fedoruk for a 2nd, picking up Moen, trading Fedorov for Beauchemin and Marchant. Things have worked out pretty well, but not even Burke expected Beauchemin to play like he has.

Anyway....I think Gainey should target Chara, who played with Souray last season in europe, and they became good friends. Big Z wouldn't have far to move (100 miles), he'd be going to an up and coming young team, he would reamin in a strong hockey market, and he could play with his good buddy Souray on the top unit.

Imagine:

Markov Komo
Chara Souray
Dandy Rivet
Bouillon

We would have one of the top defences in the league for the first time since the Chelios/Robinson days.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I like Burke a lot, but what he brings to a team is an abrasive quality; both in his mannerism and in his roster-movement. When he takes over a team he cleans house similarly to Keenan: identifies players he likes, and removes everything that doesn't fit in that category.

The end-result is an entertaining, tenacious brand of hockey. But he hasn't proven he can build a winner.

Gainey's more methodical in his approach. It will take him longer to build a team, but based on his history--that approach winds up building not only a strong team, but a strong organization top-to-bottom.

Burke tends to rub some people the wrong way and Vancouver/Hartford were not known for being closely-knit teaching-organizations.

That said, I'm very pleased that the Bruins screwed up by not pursuing Burke who openly stated he liked Boston when he was removed from Vancouver.
I agree Burke can be somewhat abrasive, but you have to admire a guy who goes in front of the media and says things like:

“Hockey is a man’s game. The team with the most real men wins.”

Old
05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Burke didn't clean house; he inherited lots of key components which he proceeded to surround with solid role players and Neidermayer and Selanne.

Bryzgalov
Giguere
Salei
Visnevsky
Lupul
Perry
Getzlaf
Penner
McDonald
Pahlsson
R. Neidermayer
Kunitz
Smid
Ryan

That's a really solid base to build from. Bryan Murray didn't leave the cupboard bare, far from it.
I don't know what part of 'clean house' you're objecting to, but the fact of the matter is that Anaheim was a very different team before Burke came in. The salary structure, style, and discipline had all changed. Anyone that didn't fit into Burke's approach to those three factors were removed. That's cleaning house.

As for that list of 'base' players... well, Ryan was drafted by Burke. Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry are solid prospects but you'd find prospects of this level in many organizations--and few wind up being as successful as this trio has been down the stretch for Anaheim.

McDonald, Pahlsson, Beauchemin, those three rookies, Penner and Bryzgalov were put in different roles & had different expectations than years past--and all flourished.

If you posted that list of players two years ago and said it was a 'solid base' then you'd be flat-out wrong. Not one of those forwards had ever played in a top-six forward capacity (aside from McDonald on Fedorov's line in a purely energy/solid-team-player role) ... and none of those defensemen are terribly unique nor core parts to a team.

Essentially that list of players was a good supportive cast, but nothing more. Until Burke cleaned house.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
I agree Burke can be somewhat abrasive, but you have to admire a guy who goes in front of the media and says things like:

“Hockey is a man’s game. The team with the most real men wins.”

I agree, I'm a big fan of Burke. My point was merely that his approach and Gainey's are different--Burke has a more immediate impact, and has proven to have difficulties longer-term in an organization.

Let's put it this way:

Gainey builds a great organization; Burke builds a great team.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Shabutie

Quote:

Redden > Chara, in everything other than hitting.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:44 AM
jcpenny

Thinking of getting Chara or Redden is wishful thinking IMO. The Sens will sign one of them and the other one will cost too much.

Old
05-12-2006, 11:47 AM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I agree, I'm a big fan of Burke. My point was merely that his approach and Gainey's are different--Burke has a more immediate impact, and has proven to have difficulties longer-term in an organization.

Let's put it this way:

Gainey builds a great organization; Burke builds a great team.
Vancouver made the biggest mistake in letting the guy walk...

Burke his one the brightest hockey mind out there.

I think he's in the same mold as Gainey...

Old
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
Yes, because it's just that easy to build a winning team.

Gainey's done a fantastic job, and I mean fantastic when you look at:

-How much Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Komisarek have progressed since taking over as coach

-How we fared vs Carolina, who, in my opinion will win the cup this year.

-Steve Begin

-traded for and re-signed Kovalev

Let's give some props to Bob, and not the flavour of the week(not to say that Burke isn't a great GM)!
no complaints about BG, he has done a fine job. My point with Burke is this , the pieces that don`t fit he moves them , he doesn`t pretend to wait for a miracle to happen. Having the kids is great , but he uses them properly , Getzlaf is not a fourth line cup of coffee guy like we usually do with our kids. But moving forward we are FOOLS for thinking Ribeiro, Zednick, Bonk, Cube, fit into the long term success of this team . We need to make the next push , remember if Burke can dump a 6 million a year contract in Fedorov who is a shell of his former self , surely
BG can parlay something into a key component. How many more bad playoff years do you want to see Ribeiro have? He had evey chance to prove his worth this year in Saks absence , and failed , period. I think Richards can be had, TBAY can`t keep all thier players , BG must be creative this summer. But simply paying Cube
for example , 1.2 mil a year for 3 years , isn`t going to help us down the road, he is 6th dman , who we play as a 4th because we have weaknesses on our defence.
We need upgrades on defence , a second center , a power winger who can score,
a little more size who can play a 2 way game. It won`t get done overnight , but start somehere , instead of caving into Ribeiro for another 3 years , solve the hole,
even a Rucchin for a short term fix is an upgrade , bigger, stronger, better defender , etc.. . This is what Burke does , no nonsense , fix the problems.

Old
05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
No complaints about BG, he has done a fine job.

My point with Burke is this , the pieces that don`t fit he moves them , he doesn`t pretend to wait for a miracle to happen.

Having the kids is great , but he uses them properly , Getzlaf is not a fourth line cup of coffee guy like we usually do with our kids.
I don't agree with everything in your post but I do agree on this.

I am also not sold on Gainey having what it takes to build a great organisation IMO (Sorry Mike8!). In my humble opinion there is a black mark on that chalkboard that comes with every good moves he made.

I guess he's going to have to show me by exemple.

It may be because I'm too much of a cynic but there is something about the speed and content of his decisions and the package that comes with his contracts that bugs me.

Actually, I AM a cynic

I guess I will be able to make a better judgement in 2 to 3 years or so.

Old
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
no complaints about BG, he has done a fine job. My point with Burke is this , the pieces that don`t fit he moves them , he doesn`t pretend to wait for a miracle to happen. Having the kids is great , but he uses them properly , Getzlaf is not a fourth line cup of coffee guy like we usually do with our kids. But moving forward we are FOOLS for thinking Ribeiro, Zednick, Bonk, Cube, fit into the long term success of this team . We need to make the next push , remember if Burke can dump a 6 million a year contract in Fedorov who is a shell of his former self , surely
BG can parlay something into a key component. How many more bad playoff years do you want to see Ribeiro have? He had evey chance to prove his worth this year in Saks absence , and failed , period. I think Richards can be had, TBAY can`t keep all thier players , BG must be creative this summer. But simply paying Cube
for example , 1.2 mil a year for 3 years , isn`t going to help us down the road, he is 6th dman , who we play as a 4th because we have weaknesses on our defence.
We need upgrades on defence , a second center , a power winger who can score,
a little more size who can play a 2 way game. It won`t get done overnight , but start somehere , instead of caving into Ribeiro for another 3 years , solve the hole,
even a Rucchin for a short term fix is an upgrade , bigger, stronger, better defender , etc.. . This is what Burke does , no nonsense , fix the problems.
While I agree, my bottom line is as follows:

Praising Burke is like praising Quinn while he was GM in Toronto. Both built solid teams, never won a cup. Gainey has.

Old
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
While I agree, my bottom line is as follows:

Praising Burke is like praising Quinn while he was GM in Toronto. Both built solid teams, never won a cup. Gainey has.
Winning the cup is tough. It's not only talent, and grit, and everything. You can have the perfect team but fall short anyway... Truth is there are 30 contenders at the start of the season. And if you disagree with that statement, think about what chances you gave Carolina at the start of the season.

You have to get the good bounces from time to time.

Anygiven year, looking at the rosters at the start of the season, how many can tell who's going to win ? Nobody.

The Canucks are not a team I like particularly, but they had a very good team under Burke, and the GM put them in a position where they could win if they got the good bounces. They still have a very decent team, as I believe they were victim of injuries, unfortunate off-ice distraction and a very, very tough schedule. (8 games each against Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton is very tough... Even Min finished over .500)

In many of the last seasons, the west was very tough, with the Wings, the Stars, the Avs... Sometimes even those team didn't get through.

I think every year, Burke put the 'nucks in a position where they could go all the way, and it's really the only thing a GM can do.

Old
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Wow imagine if the habs had neidermeyer and Sellanne

Old
05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle

Bryzgalov
Giguere
Salei
Visnevsky
Lupul
Perry
Getzlaf
Penner
McDonald
Pahlsson
R. Neidermayer
Kunitz
Smid
Ryan

Burke deserves credit, don't get me wrong, but some of his moves weren't exactly universally applauded. Fedoruk for a 2nd, picking up Moen, trading Fedorov for Beauchemin and Marchant. Things have worked out pretty well, but not even Burke expected Beauchemin to play like he has.

Anyway....I think Gainey should target Chara, who played with Souray last season in europe, and they became good friends. Big Z wouldn't have far to move (100 miles), he'd be going to an up and coming young team, he would reamin in a strong hockey market, and he could play with his good buddy Souray on the top unit.

Imagine:

Markov Komo
Chara Souray
Dandy Rivet
Bouillon

We would have one of the top defences in the league for the first time since the Chelios/Robinson days.
And neidermeyer and Selanne wanted to play there.

Old
05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Joe Cole

Who say Penner coming?

not bad for a 6'5" 250 pounder....

Closed Thread