HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this fiasco end?

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 10:27 AM
oildrop

vCash: 500
When will this fiasco end?

When is this darn situation with Comrie going to end? Tons and tons of rumours, most of them bogus, yet it doesn't seem like too much is getting done. Obviously Lowe is playing hardball, which is good, but I'm really nervous about this upcoming road-trip. Could be disastrous and leave Lowe desperate and possibly make the wrong move. I just wish this would get resolved already, I'm getting tired of the endless rumours and most of all, all those pointless proposals everyone is making. 3/4 of the proposals would never happen but they fill up these boards.

GuyF, please give us some information on the Comrie situation, we are getting very impatient!

Old
11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Walsher

I think this situation is going to end soon. Personally I think that Comrie and his Agent have just been far to desperate lately to let this situation continue much longer. If the interest from other teams is as little as has been reporting I wouldn't be suprised to see MC back with the Oilers. Everyone has ruled out this posibility but to me it seems to be a more and more likely possibility. Comrie wanted to be in training camp, he came back to Edmonton from Michigan to practice with the U of A in Edmonton, he attended the Oilers halloween party, he can't even look at reporters or the camera when he says it is time for a move, it doesn't add up. Mike Comrie has been an Oilers fan all his life, he has been in the spotlight all his life, there is no way the pressure is getting to him. This kid is to cocky to let pressure get to him. He and the Oilers will mend fences and he will be in the lineup by the Heritage Classic. Just my prediction but then again what do I know.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Yanner39

It's funny, it's not just Lowe looking for a trade but I'm assuming Winter is also contacting GMs trying to seel them his client. So 2 competent hockey people are trying to trade one player and it's taking all this time? I realize that a trade is not easy in any circumstance but in this case, maybe it's extremely hard. I had a feeling Lowe would do something early in this road trip. Allow the new player(s) to bond with his new teamates but I don't know anymore.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:41 AM
oildrop

Sorry, but I disagree. How do we know that Comrie was a Fan of the Oilers his whole life? We don't, he may say he was because he's an Oiler right now but he could be just saying that. Lots of players do that you know. Comrie has been spoiled his whole life and if he doesn't like something he will sulk, just like he did before playing in the AJHL. I think he is done as an Oiler. He has demanded a trade and Lowe has been talking with other teams. He didn't come back to Edmonton because he wanted to get back with the Oilers, IMO. It was stated that he had to leave Michigan because the Wolverines' Season was starting and Comrie and another player without a contract had to leave. It's clear that Comrie doesn't want to be here and he is going to be traded, it's just a matter of time.

Anyone(GuyF ) hearing anything substantial regarding Comrie and a potential move soon?

Old
11-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Walsher

Your not going to get any information about any move. Heck nobody even knows what the rift between the parties is. GuyF wouldn't know because nobody knows except for Lowe and Winters. It is common knowledge that Comrie was a big Oilers fan. His dad has a luxury sweet at Skyreach and is good friends with Gretzky. I would be suprised if he is moved at all. Any trade made would be a substantial downgrade in talent, potential and skill.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:01 AM
oildrop

There are people out there who know what is going on besides Lowe and Winter. Scouts are all over the place right now and some have been spotted scouting Coburn. More people know about this situation but they just aren't saying anything yet.

As for Comrie's daddy being friends with Gretzky and having a suite at Skyreach doesn't automatically mean Comrie is a huge fan of the Oilers. Maybe he watched them growing up but if he was such a huge fan he would have signed with the Oilers by now. How do you know that a trade is a downgrade? Do we really want a guy who has been sitting out for a month and who isn't in game shape? Guys who sit out have a good chance of getting hurt early in their return. Lowe isn't going to trade Comrie for a draft pick or anything, Lowe knows what Comrie is worth and he will get a good return. Comrie is a goner, you have to realize that.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Walsher

Name one trade rumor that would be equivalent or upgrade from Mike Comrie. Patrik Stefan - concussion case with little productivity, Braydon Coburn - prospect, Frolov - not even close, Kuznetsov - we already have 2 tall stay at home d-men, Lundmark - prospect that is getting older, Mike Cammelari - prospect that won't help now, Tim Connolly - almost got cut from Buffalo, the only really close trade rumor was Scott Gomez and even he would be a downgrade in talent and upside. None of the moves mentioned in the papers would make sense. Let him sit if he doesn't want to sign. The current Oilers roster wouldn't benefit from any of these deals. Wait until a team is in desperate need of offensive help. I hope he sits until the right trade is available or until he signs. He is still Oilers property and will remain so for 9 years. We have him by the @#$!. Comrie and agent have no bargaining power, they hold no chips, they are at the mercy of Lowe. Let him stew for a while and maybe force him to re-sign.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Walsher

Oh ya - people scout these players on an ongoing basis, that is nothing new. The scouts know each player inside and out it doesn't mean they are going to trade for every player they scout. Scouts scout other teams, other leagues, other countries. It doesn't mean anything.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
GuyF, please give us some information on the Comrie situation, we are getting very impatient!
Hey man, If I knew I'd have spilled it a long time ago! I haven't heard anything more than what's been in the papers or discussed on these boards. Sorry guys!

Old
11-03-2003, 11:39 AM
igor*

Quote:
When is this darn situation with Comrie going to end? Tons and tons of rumours, most of them bogus, yet it doesn't seem like too much is getting done. Obviously Lowe is playing hardball, which is good, but I'm really nervous about this upcoming road-trip. Could be disastrous and leave Lowe desperate and possibly make the wrong move. I just wish this would get resolved already, I'm getting tired of the endless rumours and most of all, all those pointless proposals everyone is making. 3/4 of the proposals would never happen but they fill up these boards.

JMO, but I think this will drag on for a very long time. Lowe simply doesn't need to deal from a position of weakness ... so he won't. And Comrie doesn't have the leverage to make Lowe trade him (he's played the fan-pressure card without success, and there really isn't much he can do other than instruct Winter to wait for the next Oiler losing streak and try again).

Lowe has to sign Comrie and have him hold out. That way he can trade freely to anyone. As it sits right now any GM with interest must contact Comrie or his agent to see what his salary requirements would be on his team ... i.e. Comrie can essentially pick and choose what team he will go to. Until Lowe takes that card from Comrie's hand, it is a stalemate.

I doubt that Comrie will surrender this option easily, but until he does Lowe will not be able to garner as much interest or as high of a return. Lowe has to wait now, wait until Comrie fully realizes that Lowe will not have his hand forced ... and signs with the Oilers (with no intention of playing for them).

Old
11-03-2003, 11:55 AM
hockeyaddict101

The rumoured trades are all crap

I haven't liked one of them

I don't want Lowe settling for less because some fans are getting impatient.

As teams start to struggle and injuries occur the offers will get better. Lowe needs to be as patient as he can be to get the best offer.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I don't want Lowe settling for less because some fans are getting impatient.

As teams start to struggle and injuries occur the offers will get better. Lowe needs to be as patient as he can be to get the best offer.
I agree, but what happens if it's the Oilers that struggle and have injuries? How patient will the majority of fans be then?

Ideally, Lowe would wait on this Comrie dealie until at least the trade deadline. To do this, he needs his team to ably carry on without Mikey.

Lose 5 of 6 on this road trip and end up in the Western Conference cellar, and watch Lowe's voice mail fill up with 10 cent on the dollar offers from rival teams, all the while Joe Fan is screaming in his ear that changes need to be made.

The Comrie saga is going to make or break Lowe's reputation as a GM. You can be sure that the other 29 GMs are watching this to see if Lowe's a good young GM...or just young.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I agree, but what happens if it's the Oilers that struggle and have injuries? How patient will the majority of fans be then?

Ideally, Lowe would wait on this Comrie dealie until at least the trade deadline. To do this, he needs his team to ably carry on without Mikey.

Lose 5 of 6 on this road trip and end up in the Western Conference cellar, and watch Lowe's voice mail fill up with 10 cent on the dollar offers from rival teams, all the while Joe Fan is screaming in his ear that changes need to be made.

The Comrie saga is going to make or break Lowe's reputation as a GM. You can be sure that the other 29 GMs are watching this to see if Lowe's a good young GM...or just young.
Great post Digger.

Just a gut feeling, but I think Lowe has made his mind up that he won't trade Comrie until HE is ready.

And I think the Comrie camp is sitting back waiting, and hoping, for an Oiler meltdown and a fan backlash. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I'm really starting to believe that Lowe will hold his ground here. He's certainly built up a groundswell of public favour so far. Wasn't there a movie trailer that went "This time ... it's personal" ?

Old
11-03-2003, 12:25 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Oh ya - people scout these players on an ongoing basis, that is nothing new. The scouts know each player inside and out it doesn't mean they are going to trade for every player they scout. Scouts scout other teams, other leagues, other countries. It doesn't mean anything.
It doesn't mean anything that the Oilers have had scouts at the Portland Winter Hawks games(WHL)? Right, that is just a conicidence that they were there and just a conicidence that Coburn plays there. I think not!

Plus, half or even more times then not, all these rumours are bunk and Lowe makes a deal where nobody even knew about or had heard rumours about. Obviously Lowe wants more proven players then Stefan or he would have made that trade weeks ago. Just because we are hearing rumours about guys like Stefan doesn't mean Lowe is going to make those exact same trades as the rumours or dumb proposals out there. I'm just becoming impatient with this whole thing, as many fans are, but waiting by Lowe is meaning that he isn't going to get fleeced in this Comrie trade.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Name one trade rumor that would be equivalent or upgrade from Mike Comrie. Patrik Stefan - concussion case with little productivity, Braydon Coburn - prospect, Frolov - not even close, Kuznetsov - we already have 2 tall stay at home d-men, Lundmark - prospect that is getting older, Mike Cammelari - prospect that won't help now, Tim Connolly - almost got cut from Buffalo, the only really close trade rumor was Scott Gomez and even he would be a downgrade in talent and upside. None of the moves mentioned in the papers would make sense. Let him sit if he doesn't want to sign. The current Oilers roster wouldn't benefit from any of these deals. Wait until a team is in desperate need of offensive help. I hope he sits until the right trade is available or until he signs. He is still Oilers property and will remain so for 9 years. We have him by the @#$!. Comrie and agent have no bargaining power, they hold no chips, they are at the mercy of Lowe. Let him stew for a while and maybe force him to re-sign.
Force a guy to re-sign? Why on earth would the Oilers want to sign a guy who apparently does NOT want to be here in Edmonton. We don't need players here that don't like it here and don't want to play here, that is when teams fall apart, all because of one guy who is selfish.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Great post Digger.

Just a gut feeling, but I think Lowe has made his mind up that he won't trade Comrie until HE is ready.

And I think the Comrie camp is sitting back waiting, and hoping, for an Oiler meltdown and a fan backlash. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I'm really starting to believe that Lowe will hold his ground here. He's certainly built up a groundswell of public favour so far. Wasn't there a movie trailer that went "This time ... it's personal" ?
Of course Team Comrie is sitting back waiting for a break to go their way...I mean, what else can they do at this point? They played their card, and all they got out of it was a 'prepared statement' from on high.

Thanks for the compliment, It's all done for the love of the game and the respect of my peers...plus I'm a total attention ho.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Allan

Quote:
It doesn't mean anything that the Oilers have had scouts at the Portland Winter Hawks games(WHL)? Right, that is just a conicidence that they were there and just a conicidence that Coburn plays there. I think not!
A lot of other players play in Portland, too. He could have been scouting Coburn, but he may just have been watching another prospect. There is a draft coming up, after all.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Mr Sakich

actually, I took a look at the rosters of Portland and Prince Alberta and there was nobody else that deserved to have a director of scouting in attendance.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Allan

Fair enough, I don't really know who is playing there, I was just trying to think of another reason for him to be there. I guess this way at least we know who he's looking at.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:55 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I have the same feeling. It looks to me like Lowe is reading the Owners loud and clear. I find it unlikely that Lowe would make this stand without the Owners' approval or even input. The current season could be the last for the Edmonton Oilers. Ticket sales and fan interest is great. Next year is likely to be a lockout and if so, many fans will not be remembering holding the line on Comrie as much as they will be pissed off at the NHLPA/greedy players or anxious for hockey again. If there's no lockout and a favourable CBA, the Owner's would be damned pissed if Comrie's salary screwed up the great structure that was gift wrapped and deilvered to them by Smyth this summer. If there's any season to tolerate missing the playoffs for the good of the team, this is it.

Meanwhile it looks like the Oilers are likely to at least hover around .500 while playing an entertaining brand of hockey while developing young stars like Hemsky. Moreover the main convenient scapegoat just might be Salo. If they struggled with goal scoring, the cries for Comrie would be loud and clear, but if they continue to keep top-10 in scoring but lose because of a seemingly bad and untradeable goalie....well, I can imagine the look on Comrie's face. Losing 1-0 while Salo plays his guts out is time to call for Comrie. Watching many Oilers leads waste away with questionable defensive play and suspect goalie somehow might not bring out the calls for Comrie's particular skillset so quickly.

I suspect the Oilers have made up their mind: get the right deal or let Comrie sit. For more than a season if need be. If true, you'll hear rumours and scouting reports, but until a good deal is found they'll all fizzle. At some point Comrie may decide to sign just so he can play or get a deal consummated.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Name one trade rumor that would be equivalent or upgrade from Mike Comrie. Patrik Stefan - concussion case with little productivity, Braydon Coburn - prospect, Frolov - not even close, Kuznetsov - we already have 2 tall stay at home d-men, Lundmark - prospect that is getting older, Mike Cammelari - prospect that won't help now, Tim Connolly - almost got cut from Buffalo...
Strange seasoning......Stefan already 3 years in the NHL but is not the player he was suppose to be. Kutznetsov is worth a bag of pucks, yet you say "we already have 2 tall stay at home d-men" and Tim Connolly (see Stefan). Coburn, Cammalleri, Lundmark are prospects, that's water tight but Frolov "isn't even close" ?

I wouldn't even trade Frolov straight up for Comrie.
Comrie, former 30 goal scorer, but who says he will in the future ? On the other hand who is saying Frolov will become a sniper in the NHL, nobody, but he has one major edge compared with Comrie and that's size and strength. From a Los Angeles POV I would take "the risk" and trust on Frolov's skills. I don't know how Edmonton management would think about a Comrie-Frolov deal but Frolov + pick/rosterplayer could they take into consideration, just my $0,02.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:42 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
There are people out there who know what is going on besides Lowe and Winter. Scouts are all over the place right now and some have been spotted scouting Coburn. More people know about this situation but they just aren't saying anything yet.

As for Comrie's daddy being friends with Gretzky and having a suite at Skyreach doesn't automatically mean Comrie is a huge fan of the Oilers. Maybe he watched them growing up but if he was such a huge fan he would have signed with the Oilers by now. How do you know that a trade is a downgrade? Do we really want a guy who has been sitting out for a month and who isn't in game shape? Guys who sit out have a good chance of getting hurt early in their return. Lowe isn't going to trade Comrie for a draft pick or anything, Lowe knows what Comrie is worth and he will get a good return. Comrie is a goner, you have to realize that.

Does Bill Comrie still have his suite? Or does he still have season tickets? hmmm now that I think about it I avent seen any "Brick" advertising around the rink.

I have heard from a sourse inside the organization that Bill Comrie cancelled all of his season tickets and withdrew all of his advertising.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:14 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Does Bill Comrie still have his suite? Or does he still have season tickets? hmmm now that I think about it I avent seen any "Brick" advertising around the rink.

I have heard from a sourse inside the organization that Bill Comrie cancelled all of his season tickets and withdrew all of his advertising.
That is an ugly rumour. Bill, I don't think, would make this personal, but if he does, he is getting in the middle of this mess, and he should remain status quo. If not, he is jumping on the wrong side of the public and it can't be good for business.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
barto

Oddly enough, I happened to hear a radio spot for The Brick's contest to give away some Heritage Classic tickets (I think in conjunction with a couple other local firms), and at some point there was a disclaimer that this promotion did NOT involve the Edm. Oilers ownership group... something to that effect. It seemed like kind of an odd statement to make, as no other Heritage Classic contests say something like that (on air, at least). Probably just a coincidence...

Bart

Old
11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Oddly enough, I happened to hear a radio spot for The Brick's contest to give away some Heritage Classic tickets (I think in conjunction with a couple other local firms), and at some point there was a disclaimer that this promotion did NOT involve the Edm. Oilers ownership group... something to that effect. It seemed like kind of an odd statement to make, as no other Heritage Classic contests say something like that (on air, at least). Probably just a coincidence...

Bart
I think it is just coincidence. Last Friday on AM1260 Bryn and Jake received an email from the Oilers informing them that they would have to read a disclaimer after their 'Heritage Classic' ticket giveaway promotion. Seems kind of trivial, I can't imagine the trademark has all that much value, but I guess the Oilers have their reasons.

Closed Thread