HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backyard shooting gallery

Old
05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Backyard shooting gallery

I want to make some sort of shooting gallery in my backyard. I wanna be able to shoot real pucks. Anyone have any tips on how to do this, low cost of course?

I was thinking a couple of sheets of plywood and my street hockey net, but that seems kind of half ***ed.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Not exactly sure what your looking at doin...but I'd just have a big net like batting cage net set up behind the goal or something. Wish I had a net before I destroyed the garage door and the taillight on my car

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Happy Pony

well you could put up a net behind your streeth hockey net, but I wouldn't. I remember my dad telling me that he was more accurate because when he would play in the backyard if he missed he had to chase the pucks so he quickly learned not to miss. Also another thread mentioned sythentic ice, if you have the money I would reccomend it, or possibly some type of sportcourt or something.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 10:52 PM
zoomba

ya go get some practice ice if you can. I just picked some up for $20 the other day and tried it out. It does seem to simulate shooting on ice a lot better.

There is a difference in shooting on ice and on concrete. It's way easier to lean into a shot and get your stick to whip through the puck on concrete because the blade will grip the ground much easier than on ice. I think it's important to practice like you would shoot in a game.

zoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Ludwig Fell Down

My neighbor has a sheet of plexiglass that he shoots off of, and a batting cage net behind his goal. The local rink leaves old sheets of plexiglass in the back - when a pane cracks or chips they replace it and leave the old one for people to take for shooting in their driveway.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Make sure your street hockey net isn't made out of the plastic tubes....if it its say goodbye to the net when the ice hockey puck hits the post. This is from experience.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 05:00 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Make sure your street hockey net isn't made out of the plastic tubes....if it its say goodbye to the net when the ice hockey puck hits the post. This is from experience.
I have a metal one and it all the posts are pretty much bent to hell with all these dents in them from the puck. But at least its still there. YOu're right about the plastic nets, theyll break if you let em fly.

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 11:51 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Yeah, I thought about that. That beaing said, I don't think I will be using it. I have an idea in mind for a decent homemade net. I am planning on cutting a T out of plywood and mounting it on the face of the net upside down to simulate a goalie in the butterfly postion. Right now I am more concerned with getting the puck on a surface where it will glide.

Anyone have a link to that practice ice?

BTW - I love the idea about the rubber mat so you can shoot with your skates on.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9
Yeah, I thought about that. That beaing said, I don't think I will be using it. I have an idea in mind for a decent homemade net. I am planning on cutting a T out of plywood and mounting it on the face of the net upside down to simulate a goalie in the butterfly postion. Right now I am more concerned with getting the puck on a surface where it will glide.

Anyone have a link to that practice ice?

BTW - I love the idea about the rubber mat so you can shoot with your skates on.
I use a similar idea. Ill show you a rough drawing I just did in paint:
[IMAGE]http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15321&stc=1[/IMAGE]
It uses a single sheet of playwood with different areas cut out to simulate high glove side, blocker side, between the armpits and five hole.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp net.bmp‎ (1.04 MB, 76 views)

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote