HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade value of three Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2006, 08:42 AM
  #1
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,422
vCash: 500
Trade value of three Habs

Numerous posts have been devoted to the need to iomprove the Habs through trades. I'm curious to know what fans think is the trading worth of the following three players, the ones who have been mentioned most frequently on this board because they don't seem to fit:

Martin Aebischer
Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik

Please try to be realistic.

Feel free to add other candidates for trades, but be realistic about their value as well.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 08:52 AM
  #2
Bob Bastards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
David Aebischer --> another no2 goalie or a thirdh line forward (but you never know what a desperated team can do for a good goalie...)
Mike Ribeiro --> a good prospect, not a top notch one but a good one.
Richard Zednik --> add a draft pick and some desperated team can send you back another head case.

Bob Bastards is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
  #3
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Numerous posts have been devoted to the need to iomprove the Habs through trades. I'm curious to know what fans think is the trading worth of the following three players, the ones who have been mentioned most frequently on this board because they don't seem to fit:

Martin Aebischer
Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik

Please try to be realistic.

Feel free to add other candidates for trades, but be realistic about their value as well.

It's David Aebischer...

Subban Fan is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
  #4
Matrix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Numerous posts have been devoted to the need to iomprove the Habs through trades. I'm curious to know what fans think is the trading worth of the following three players, the ones who have been mentioned most frequently on this board because they don't seem to fit:

Martin Aebischer
Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik

Please try to be realistic.

Feel free to add other candidates for trades, but be realistic about their value as well.
For all of them it's nothing more than picks, prospects or 3rd liners at best.

DAVID Aebisher....Well it all depends on where the other UFA goalies will go. He could be real attractive to TBay if it's their only option, but if not, well it won't be so great. Picks and prospects or 3rd liner Ruutu style....

Ribeiro well I see him having a greater value for teams like Washington, Calgary, desperately seeking #2 center. But nobody that has that will change their teams to accomodate Mikey.

Zednik, I don't know. Probably less than the other two, some team could take a chance by giving him a fresh start. I believe a smaller worth than the others.

Matrix is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
  #5
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Numerous posts have been devoted to the need to iomprove the Habs through trades. I'm curious to know what fans think is the trading worth of the following three players, the ones who have been mentioned most frequently on this board because they don't seem to fit:

Martin Aebischer
Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik

Please try to be realistic.

Feel free to add other candidates for trades, but be realistic about their value as well.
Of the three I think Zednik is the most tradeable commodity. I think a team like Calgary that is (or at least should be) looking for some secondary scoring might be interested. In return the Habs could ask for a guy like Leopold (but they'd definitely have to add more than Zed to make that kind of deal happen).

bold part for passing Flames fans

David Aebischer's value is a little harder to peg. With Boston looking to move Raycroft and Detroit likely moving Legace etc.. etc... and a couple of available vets like Cujo his value might suffer a little. A team like Tampa might be interested, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of a return i.e. Aebischer + ??? for Modin perhaps

Ribeiro might interest a team with a hole at the number 1 or 2 centre spot - maybe Nashville. The return is anyone's guess, I honestly don't know.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:28 AM
  #6
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
I still say looking at the UFA goalies availiable, if we sign huet, aeibisher could net

a solid return. far from the best, he still is a proven no.1

hab is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
  #7
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Numerous posts have been devoted to the need to iomprove the Habs through trades. I'm curious to know what fans think is the trading worth of the following three players, the ones who have been mentioned most frequently on this board because they don't seem to fit:

Martin Aebischer
Mike Ribeiro
Richard Zednik

Please try to be realistic.

Feel free to add other candidates for trades, but be realistic about their value as well.
I think timing and situation after the bulk of the ufa period will determine value. Other teams are like us,[a lttle less manic maybe] If they need a C, they start with dreams higher than Ribs. TB wants to upgrade in nets, Aebi is a solution only after they get to teh point where they can't get what they want. The Zednik deal, presuming there is one, will probably be determined by Gainey and co. taking someone who is due for a change,much like Zed. I know that's not really an answer, but right now, I don't see anyone considering these guys to fill their holes, at least not until the pickings are slimmer.

mcphee is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
  #8
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Aebisher has good value. I could see a Aebisher+Ryder/St-Louis type of deal happening (mainly because of St-Louis' big contract).

Ribeiro is worth a semi-good prospect à la Brandon Bochensky, a 2nd round draft pick, or another 5-6 defensman (like Craig Rivet).

Finally for Zednik we wouldn't get more than a 4th round draft pick or a washed up prospect like Marcel Hossa...


EDIT: It seems the guys before me underestimate Aebisher's value a bit...he's cleary worth more than Modin for exemple...

LeMAD is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
  #9
Brett38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
The best thing about all these guys is that they are not that expensive. All of them are under 2 million.

Brett38 is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:48 AM
  #10
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD
Aebisher has good value. I could see a Aebisher+Ryder/St-Louis type of deal happening (mainly because of St-Louis' big contract).

EDIT: It seems the guys before me underestimate Aebisher's value a bit...he's cleary worth more than Modin for exemple...
Or conversely you overestimate Aebischer's value.

With a number of potential goaltenders available, Tampa will certainly have better or cheaper options than moving St. Louis to obtain one. I'd also suggest to you that Modin is not a scrub and holds pretty decent value.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
  #11
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD
Aebisher has good value. I could see a Aebisher+Ryder/St-Louis type of deal happening (mainly because of St-Louis' big contract).

Ribeiro is worth a semi-good prospect à la Brandon Bochensky, a 2nd round draft pick, or another 5-6 defensman (like Craig Rivet).

Finally for Zednik we wouldn't get more than a 4th round draft pick or a washed up prospect like Marcel Hossa...


EDIT: It seems the guys before me underestimate Aebisher's value a bit...he's cleary worth more than Modin for exemple...
I could obviously be wrong, but if Gainey called Feaster tomorrow, I don't believe he'd take Aebi for Modin. Value wise,St.Louis is different because his contract would cause any trade, more than his play.

mcphee is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
  #12
TSV
Registered User
 
TSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 546
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TSV
It's obvious that Aebi will be dealt soon or later.
Just hope that Bob will get more than a 3rd liner !! Don't forget that we paid Théo for him (like him or not).
I could see a big deal to pick up a great prospect at the draft or a young gun ready to step up to the NHL level.
Maybe Aebi for a 1st pick + a big intense winger that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. If they do that, let's hope they draft well !! Price was ok, but don't we need some future at D... Like Bourdon go damnit !!

Zeddy... let's jump on Comrie if it's still possible !! Trade him for picks or a young "gamble".

Ribs, let's wait...

TSV is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
  #13
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Why does everyone want to deal Aebischer? I would rather go with him for one year, instead of negotiating with an impending UFA like Huet.

AH is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
  #14
Live Forever
Registered User
 
Live Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Why does everyone want to deal Aebischer? I would rather go with him for one year, instead of negotiating with an impending UFA like Huet.
Are you being sarcastic?

Live Forever is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:26 AM
  #15
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,422
vCash: 500
I don't think Aebischer would bring in a first round draft choice right now. He might as next season's trading deadline approaches. He probably has a higher trading value than Ribeiro or Zednik.

Zednik's value has declined over a year ago because he had a poor season and he's one year away from free agency. However, if he remains with the Habs (better than buying him out and taking a cap hit), he might duplicate his 2003-04 season by scoring 26 goals. It's not impossible. In that case, Gainey might let him play out the season with the Habs, then cut him loose as he's doing with Bulis.

Ribeiro doesn't have high trade value because he's difficult to fit into the lineups of most teams. In a way his situation reminds me of Yannic Perreault, although they two of them aren't similar on the ice.

I can't conceive of an NHL team that would want all three as a package. Maybe something could be worked out if the trading partner would be able to dump some unwanted personnel on the Habs in the deal. It would be like two neighbors putting furniture on the curb for collection and each taking the other's discards because one could use a lamp and the other an end table. Gainey might consider that if he could get even one player who fills a specific need, or else a draft choice, in the package.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:41 AM
  #16
Matrix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I don't think Aebischer would bring in a first round draft choice right now. He might as next season's trading deadline approaches. He probably has a higher trading value than Ribeiro or Zednik.

Zednik's value has declined over a year ago because he had a poor season and he's one year away from free agency. However, if he remains with the Habs (better than buying him out and taking a cap hit), he might duplicate his 2003-04 season by scoring 26 goals. It's not impossible. In that case, Gainey might let him play out the season with the Habs, then cut him loose as he's doing with Bulis.

Ribeiro doesn't have high trade value because he's difficult to fit into the lineups of most teams. In a way his situation reminds me of Yannic Perreault, although they two of them aren't similar on the ice.

I can't conceive of an NHL team that would want all three as a package. Maybe something could be worked out if the trading partner would be able to dump some unwanted personnel on the Habs in the deal. It would be like two neighbors putting furniture on the curb for collection and each taking the other's discards because one could use a lamp and the other an end table. Gainey might consider that if he could get even one player who fills a specific need, or else a draft choice, in the package.
Is Aebi UFA next season??? If so, I don't think his value is higher than Roloson's and will permit us to have a 1st rounder next year. I believe it's easier this year 'cause he had a good year nonetheless, hoping those 2 wins against Ottawa (A or B team) have opened some eyes. And with the fact that he still has a whole year before testing the market should help us getting a 1st rounder. And knowing that after the first 10, this year is not known as being as great as 2003 for example and if I'm not mistaken, 2007 is suppose to be much better so 1st rounders won't be so available....

Matrix is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
  #17
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I could obviously be wrong, but if Gainey called Feaster tomorrow, I don't believe he'd take Aebi for Modin. Value wise,St.Louis is different because his contract would cause any trade, more than his play.

Actually i hate Modin, so that's why I wouldn't do that if i was Gainey...

LeMAD is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
  #18
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Is Aebi UFA next season??? If so, I don't think his value is higher than Roloson's and will permit us to have a 1st rounder next year. I believe it's easier this year 'cause he had a good year nonetheless, hoping those 2 wins against Ottawa (A or B team) have opened some eyes. And with the fact that he still has a whole year before testing the market should help us getting a 1st rounder. And knowing that after the first 10, this year is not known as being as great as 2003 for example and if I'm not mistaken, 2007 is suppose to be much better so 1st rounders won't be so available....
A surprisingly large number of goaltenders had good games against Ottawa this past season. Aebischer faced them when they were in the throes of a bad spell of injuries.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
  #19
Live Forever
Registered User
 
Live Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
I think Bob Gainey's best option is wait it out and keep Aebischier until the time is right to trade him away. No need to trade him during the offseason because I feel his demand shall increase as the season goes on. I mean if someone wants goaltending duties, why not just go after Manny Legace, Brent Johnson, Martin Prusek, Martin Gerber, Dwayne Roloson, Cujo, or god forbid Huet for free? I'm sure they can do just as good of a job. I say trade him off mid-way during the season or at the trade deadline because we'll probably be getting some sick offers then from those teams that are really desparate.

Live Forever is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
  #20
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The first two probably have more value here and Zednik might get something decent in a package. Maybe Ribs and Zed for an above average prospect.

beowulf is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
  #21
Matrix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
A surprisingly large number of goaltenders had good games against Ottawa this past season. Aebischer faced them when they were in the throes of a bad spell of injuries.
Maybe but he did have a good season in Colorado before joining us. He did rebound from a poor start and was, from some people, maybe one of the best western goalies out there. Should that make western teams think a little and also knowing that he wouldn't cost too much.....

Matrix is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
  #22
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
It's hard to gauge trade value in the abstract. It all depends on circumstances and context. Maybe Zednik is worth a draft day trade up, or something similar to the Asham for Czerkawski deal. Maybe he's worth a veteran defenceman coming off a bad year. The most we can say is that affordable scoring wingers are nearly always in demand by at least some teams.

On the other hand, I don't think Ribeiro or Aebischer have a lot of value. Most GMs probably see Ribeiro's flaws and would rather make do with what they have or look for a less flawed alternative, at least if it comes to giving up a trade asset. In other words, most GMs would see him as filler rather than a key addition to their top 6.

Aebischer isn't a real no. 1 goalie. I can't see any team giving up anything good to get him. Some team with depth problems or a young starting goalie might want him to be a back-up/stopgap platoon starter, but that's probably only worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or some redundant fringe roster player.

Souffle is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
  #23
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
It's hard to gauge trade value in the abstract. It all depends on circumstances and context. Maybe Zednik is worth a draft day trade up, or something similar to the Asham for Czerkawski deal. Maybe he's worth a veteran defenceman coming off a bad year. The most we can say is that affordable scoring wingers are nearly always in demand by at least some teams.

On the other hand, I don't think Ribeiro or Aebischer have a lot of value. Most GMs probably see Ribeiro's flaws and would rather make do with what they have or look for a less flawed alternative, at least if it comes to giving up a trade asset. In other words, most GMs would see him as filler rather than a key addition to their top 6.

Aebischer isn't a real no. 1 goalie. I can't see any team giving up anything good to get him. Some team with depth problems or a young starting goalie might want him to be a back-up/stopgap platoon starter, but that's probably only worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or some redundant fringe roster player.
Agreed 100%, the cap takes actual player value out the equation. IMO, if I'm Feaster, with their top end talent, I aim higher than Aebi. If I'm Toronto, and i think maybe Pogge's ready in a year, then he becomes attractive, but at what price. Same as Zed, a GM might say why not, remember that game 2 years ago, but it comes down to timing.

mcphee is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
  #24
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,370
vCash: 500
do you think that Atlanta could have an eye on Ribeiro if Savard leave the team ? Could be a cheap player for them , to play with Hossa and Kov...

Same for Washington . But if not these team , i don't see a good return for him . A lot of fans are ready to trade him , to get a better and stronger center , but it certainly not by trading him that we are going to get this player .

It's easy for us to trade for a '' better center '' in our livingroom , but i don't think that Bob is going to do it easilly .


Last edited by goalchenyuk: 05-10-2006 at 01:50 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
  #25
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
do you think that Atlanta could have an eye on Ribeiro if Savard leave the team ? Could be a cheap player for them , to play with Hossa and Kov...

Same for Washington . But if not these team , i don't see a good return for him . A lot of fans are ready to trade him , to get a better and stronger center , but it certainly not by trading him that we are going to get this player .

It's easy for us to trade for a '' better center '' in our livingroom , but i don't think that Bob is going to do it easilly .
Atlanta maybe, moreso than Washington, imo, though you keep hearing Wash. in rumours. It's a tricky question, his future, because at this point, I think if Carbo wants him and thinks he'll progress, Gainey will keep him. Why not ? The price will be right. But if not...., and I think it's safe to say that knowing these guys opinionsis impossible.

mcphee is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.