HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM with power heading into the Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2006, 02:17 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
This must be the reason there are so many French speaking players begging Gainey
to come back to Montreal.

Truth be told, all French speaking players who have spent time outside of Quebec can communicate in English. So when they weigh the pros & cons of living in Montreal, a bilingual city, with the pros and cons of living in Quebec, the highest taxed province/state in North America, where do you think they'll decide to go?

And let's not flatter ourselves so much. Montreal is a great city but so are New York, Chicago, L.A., Vancouver, Toronto, Boston. And some of those cities are better than Montreal. If I earned the money these players earn, I'd be in New York or L.A. or Chicago or one of a dozen other NHL cities.
The rising dollar, the taxes at that level of salary combined with the cost of living makes it a comparable value that you'd receive in Quebec. Like Gainey said, it depends on what a player wants. If they are the type of player who WANTS the pressure of Montreal and will thrive in the amazing atmosphere, then those are the players we want. If it's the type of player who likes to collect a couple extra nickels and not be recognized on the street, we don't want that player anyway. We want winners.

I've lived in those cities or spent considerable amounts of time in all of them and there's nothing special about any of them (except NYC) to be honest. Montreal's atmosphere ranks right up there for me.

Old
05-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

I believe Kovalev is the only player on the recent 23-man roster who willingly came to the Habs as a UFA after having played for another team. (Forget about the short interval in 2004 when he came in exchange for Balej, because he was aware he would soon become a UFA.) This suggests that Montréal isn't a magnet for free agents, francophone or not.

Old
05-13-2006, 02:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I believe Kovalev is the only player on the recent 23-man roster who willingly came to the Habs as a UFA after having played for another team. (Forget about the short interval in 2004 when he came in exchange for Balej, because he was aware he would soon become a UFA.) This suggests that Montréal isn't a magnet for free agents, francophone or not.
Things will start to change now that our kids are maturing and we have cap space. A player evaluates all that stuff too. Nothing worse than coming to Montreal and playing on a team that can't win.

Old
05-13-2006, 02:33 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I can't even remember the last one before Kovalev. Gilmour is the only name that comes to mind but he's nothing to write home about as much as I loved him.

But now, everything changed just like magic for some reason I don't even understand. Nothing really changed except the cap but that just means we can't overbid other teams and compensate for our taxes.

I'm really curious to know this. Why would people think things have changed? Even french players like Laperierre don't want to come here, the Avalanche is the best place for francophone to go now and they all know it.

Montreal has nothing over cities like Anaheim or Toronto. At best they are equal, so why go where the taxes are ridiculous and the media will take pictures of you in your driveway or on your vacation?

Old
05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
I can't even remember the last one before Kovalev. Gilmour is the only name that comes to mind but he's nothing to write home about as much as I loved him.

But now, everything changed just like magic for some reason I don't even understand. Nothing really changed except the cap but that just means we can't overbid other teams and compensate for our taxes.

I'm really curious to know this. Why would people think things have changed? Even french players like Laperierre don't want to come here, the Avalanche is the best place for francophone to go now and they all know it.

Montreal has nothing over cities like Anaheim or Toronto. At best they are equal, so why go where the taxes are ridiculous and the media will take pictures of you in your driveway or on your vacation?
I dont know about that, I've heard in the media Laperriere and Lapointe first choices we're Montreal but Gainey declined.

Old
05-13-2006, 02:59 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I dont know about that, I've heard in the media Laperriere and Lapointe first choices we're Montreal but Gainey declined.
Lapointe maybe for bargainnig power but Laperriere mentionned in an interview he called PL on the day of the UFA signings. You can look it up he signed there about 2 hours after the signings began.

Old
05-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Of all the Quebecois players in the NHL, you can only mention Quintal. How many others are chomping at the bit to come here? My guess very very few. What with the taxes and the rabid media, they'd rather stay outside Quebec where their lives are not dissected and their pocket books not taxed to death.

The journalists who lament the scarce number of Quebecois players on the Canadiens should take a good look in the mirror and come to the conclusion that they're part of the problem. When you have clowns like those on 110% making idiotic statements and jerks like the reporters from the Journal de Montreal who invade Koivu's hospital room and then have the gall to put words in his mouth, you wonder how we can get anyone to play here?

You should listen to comments made about this city from alot of the players in the NHL.

This city is considered the gulag of the NHL and Gainey has a big, big job trying to change that image.
There are two teams that strike me as perennial losers... Boston and Chicago... and if you are a winner... you wouldn't want to sign with them, unless you care for money....

Oups, Lapointe signed contracts with both of them.

Yeah there are losers out there who just care about the money and will complain about details about Montreal and not focus on the real thing.

C'mon, think about it, we don't want guys like Lapointe... a guy that was lucky enough to end up with the Red Wings when they were hot, and yet decided to sign with Boston and then Chicago...

I gave Quintal as an example... That's all. That's the best example. It was indeed a very good example because he was indeed in Chicago, LA, and NY as well.

So be it, you think Montreal is a gulag... (Actually I had been hearing Buffalo is one of the most boring city)

And if you let journalists dictate what a city is... your lost.

Old
05-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe

I am player who wants just big money... back in the days of big spenders... where do I go?
NY, Dallas, Detroit, Colorado and maybe Toronto - that's where the money was
I am player who wantsto win... back then... where do I go?
Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey
I am a winner then... Do I call Rejean Houle?

I am a winner then... Did I call Bob Gainey in Dallas?

I am a winner now... Do I call Bob Gainey in Montreal? You bet I do.

That's what changed.

Old
05-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Toro

After this summer ppl will start to understand why the new NHL is different than the old.

The CAP has been misunderstood all year. That is to be expected i guess, most hockey fans have no experience with it.

But the reality is that everyone has the same money to spend.(yes not all will spend it all) but those in position to contend will, or at least come close to it.

NOw with the younger age at free agency, and even younger next year and the year after that. more players will be available to change addresses every year.

There have not been many great french players availabe in the past 5 seasons at free agency time. But there are a few in the league now that will be free agents in the next few years. Tanguay, Gagne, marleau etc.

Don't forget players that grew up hab fans did not only grow up in Quebec....... they grew up elsewhere as well. Hell i grew up in windsor ontario and a diehard Hab fan, that would play for MOntreal before anyother team in a heart beat.

Winning hockey players want to play for winning teams.

Whining hockey players want to play for the highest bidder.

Montreal is a winning franchise with great leadership behind the wheel.

Montreal is a different team than the one that played in the old NHL. The team is ready to make the jump to being a contender again and that attracts quality players.

Seriously Gainey will bring a cup to Montreal, don't wory about media or other distractions there may be in Montreal. There is no other franchise like this. Players that wan't to be immortalized and remembered for ever aaand have their name on a cup and have that banner go up in the greatest hockey city in the world, are welcome. losers and whinners need not apply....

Old
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe

Montreal is a fantastic city because of a lot of things ; restaurants , night life , all the events like Grand Prix, Jazz fest , Just for laught , African nights franco-folies , etc .

Name me a city where you can walk alone by late night , without questioning if you are going to be attack by someone .

Than you have the french fact ; It's not only about being able to speak this language , but to have the possibility to educate your child in a french school and society , in a french culture ( that is far of the english one for a lot of things ) . All this, in a multi-etnic city where peoples are living together in peace ...

I edit my post to add this ; i know that it is not the same everywhere in the city , but just yesterday , without going farther than 3 minutes of my app . ( and i don't have car ) ;
i talked or saluted to Italian,Greec ,Salvadorian,Iles Maurice , Portugese ,Japanese , Chinese , Africain and a Norvegian peoples.

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 05-13-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old
05-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Montreal is a fantastic city because of a lot of things ; restaurants , night life , all the events like Grand Prix, Jazz fest , Just for laught , African nights franco-folies , etc .

Name me a city where you can walk alone by late night , without questioning if you are going to be attack by someone .

Than you have the french fact ; It's not only about being able to speak this language , but to have the possibility to educate your child in a french school and society , in a french culture ( that is far of the english one for a lot of things ) . All this, in a multi-etnic city where peoples are living together in peace ...

I edit my post to add this ; i know that it is not the same everywhere in the city , but just yesterday , without going farther than 3 minutes of my app . ( and i don't have car ) ;
i talked or saluted to Italian,Greec ,Salvadorian,Iles Maurice , Portugese ,Japanese , Chinese , Africain and a Norvegian peoples.
I love the city for all the reasons you mention, and I'll add la Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, l'Orchèstre Symphonique de Montréal, the Jazz Festival, McGill, and other institutions, but not everyone wants his children enrolled in a French school. Even Guy Carbonneau waited until his children were grown to return.

Old
05-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

All that you say is true but it is true of almost every other city in North America. All the other cities have the same thing except for the French culture. Montreal is the only one that has a French culture and I don't want to insult anyone but do you really think a kid born in Finland or Boston or Minsk really takes that into consideration. C'mon, get real.

The weather in San Jose is fantastic, the night life in New York puts Montreal's to shame, in L.A. and Anaheim you can hobnob with the stars. Culturally most cities in N.A. are on par or surpass Montreal.

Look at this city realistically: has the worst weather of all the cities in North American (except maybe for Ottawa), is financially a tax hole, has the worst media types imaginable and to top it off, has restrictive language laws that are bigoted but also exaggerated and misunderstood by other people outside of Quebec. And if those points are not enough, we're not a winning organisation. We haven't been for a long, long time.

Like I said Gainey has a difficult job on his hands and the only way I can see him turning it around is not by free agents but by drafting, bringing in young players who don't have a choice of where they'll play or by trades.

Old
05-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
All that you say is true but it is true of almost every other city in North America. All the other cities have the same thing except for the French culture. Montreal is the only one that has a French culture and I don't want to insult anyone but do you really think a kid born in Finland or Boston or Minsk really takes that into consideration. C'mon, get real.

The weather in San Jose is fantastic, the night life in New York puts Montreal's to shame, in L.A. and Anaheim you can hobnob with the stars. Culturally most cities in N.A. are on par or surpass Montreal.

Look at this city realistically: has the worst weather of all the cities in North American (except maybe for Ottawa), is financially a tax hole, has the worst media types imaginable and to top it off, has restrictive language laws that are bigoted but also exaggerated and misunderstood by other people outside of Quebec. And if those points are not enough, we're not a winning organisation. We haven't been for a long, long time.

Like I said Gainey has a difficult job on his hands and the only way I can see him turning it around is not by free agents but by drafting, bringing in young players who don't have a choice of where they'll play or by trades.
All I get from this, is that if you were a hockey player, you woudln't want to play for Montreal... because you want great weather (like the Boys playing in florida), you want to hang out with the "Stars" (like Alexandre Daigle) or you want to experience the jet-star life in NY (like the bunch of NYR free agents that signed in the 90s)....

So were you a hockey player, you wouldn't play for Montreal... Indeed Bob Gainey wouldn't bother returning your call.

Bob Gainey doesn't want players like that anyway. He wants people who care about let say... hockey and winning maybe??????

Beside, like I said before, I lived in different cities including many of the ones you said... and you have one very distorted, negative view of Montreal.

It's great to be able to walk at 4 in the morning in the street and meeting all those nice people without worrying, it is great to have all those cafes and nice one-of-a- kind restaurants as opposed to I-will-serve-you-a-5-pound-tasteless-lasagna, the artistic side of the people is fantastic. You fully understand culture, once you are out of Montreal... you really understand how much culture there is in Montreal.

As for the weather and the taxes, you are right. But still, if you are to have a winter, may as well have a real one. I often fly to Quebec city at Christmas time and New Years' eve to see abundance of white snow, and the "moment féerique"...

Taxes, it is hard if you are not that rich... but for the ones who are, and all NHL hockey players with common sense are... who cares ! (oh yeah... the greedy agents and Martin Lapointe do). Besides, we only have one life, if you want to center it only around money, that's your problem...

Old
05-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Toro

Quote:

Everyone has their view, but you are way off..

players like jagr, yashin, fedorov, guys who are looking for some fun in the sun or mingle with stars are not thinking about playing hockey and winning championships. Gainey will not persue those type of players...(way to go gainey)

Gainey is targetting players that put winning and being surrounded by Great management and a team that has a chance to win above all else. There are players that fit this bill. They will want to come to Montreal.

MTL has good management, stable ownership, depth at goaltending(if Huet signs, which he will), and good team depth. MTL also has a few obvious spots to fill, which freeagents look for when they sign somewhere. they want to know that they have a spot where they want(#1 center will want to center our 1st line)etc.

All of your negative points are irrelevant. winners don't care about taxes(when your rich, you find tax breaks and loopholes)thats what accountants are for. Winners don't care about the weather(much) some even prefer to live in a canadian winter than crappy wet icy sleet crap that most other NHL cities get.(if they get winter at all unlike florida and california etc.) i myself hate windsor winters. really hard to make a friggin rink outside......

I live across from detroit and let me tell you our winters suck....I would rather it be 10 degrees colder and have snow stay all winter than have it melt a few days after it falls. and turn to icy rain and u know

Don't forget were not trying to bring in 10 free agents here just 2 or 3. Gainey should be able to accomplish this. with flying colors

Old
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's true that Montréal has cold, icy weather in the winter, and it gets dark sooner than in more southerly cities. BUT, Chicago and Buffalo are also miserable in the winter, while Florida and Texas can be unbearably hot in the summer and would lose half their present populations if air conditioners were outlawed. The cooling systems in Dallas, Tampa, and Sunrise strain and groan to keep the ice playable late in the playoffs (if their teams fortunate enough to survive a few playoff rounds). Hockey is a winter sport and it is taken seriously in Canadian cities and several northern US cities.

Old
05-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Toro

In the past Montreal had a problem being able to afford Free Agents and often had to let players go when they got expensive. well that is history now. Edmonton made large splashes in free agency cause they needed too. We did not need to yet. We only needed a few holes filled this season. we needed to give some young players chances. Now we need a few more free agents and Gainey will deliver. Edmonton had tons of cap space before the season started, we didn't, we had some but not nearly as much as Edmonton or Boston or many other teams.

Who would not want to center Kovalev in MTL and who would not want to take a top pairing job on Defence in MTL with Markov?

We really just have 2 spots to fill via free agency(huet needs to sign as well)

Old
05-14-2006, 01:19 PM
paddy

I've visited and lived in many fantastic cities all over the world, and Montreal is still one of the best cities to live in. The only knock on Montreal is the weather... but aside from that, overall we have a fantastic city.

Old
05-14-2006, 06:11 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I was talking about the french players when i was saying about the french culture . By the way , there are much European players that like Montreal because of his French culture than you think ; There is something more EURO in this city than everywhere in the Americas .

And i din't talk about the women yet ...

Old
05-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
In the past Montreal had a problem being able to afford Free Agents and often had to let players go when they got expensive. well that is history now. Edmonton made large splashes in free agency cause they needed too. We did not need to yet. We only needed a few holes filled this season. we needed to give some young players chances. Now we need a few more free agents and Gainey will deliver. Edmonton had tons of cap space before the season started, we didn't, we had some but not nearly as much as Edmonton or Boston or many other teams.

Who would not want to center Kovalev in MTL and who would not want to take a top pairing job on Defence in MTL with Markov?

I agree 90% with all you just said!

10% because maybe not everybody would want to center Kovalev... Yet, having Kovalev is a very good selling proposition. Most centers would listen to you, were you to say, I am looking for a center for Kovalev.

Of everything you said, I would add that Montreal had made some provision to save money this year... because there was a possibility that two major centers be available... and that is Lecavalier and Thornton...

Heck, wouldn't it have been interesting if they had been available this summer... we would be left debatting between which of the two we want....

What a controversy this would have created....

Old
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
RC51

If your a top UFA, don't you want your name as part of the team that wins it's 25th Stanley Cup. That's huge !!!!!!!!!
Make's your name imortal instantly.

No other NHL CLUB can offer this except THE MONTREAL CANADIENS.

Old
05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
If your a top UFA, don't you want your name as part of the team that wins it's 25th Stanley Cup. That's huge !!!!!!!!!

Considering that it's uncertain whether the Habs will win its 25th anytime soon, I would imagine that UFAs would prefer a team that's a favorite for the 2007 Cup.

Old
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM
deandebean

Hey! If Edmonton was able to get big names, Montreal should be able to do the same.

But this season, what Montreal needs to hire is less big-name players, more sandpaper via the free agency. PLus one big defenceman. And trade some up and coming youth for a more established center. Preferably around the age of 26-27. Koivu cannot carry the load by himself, and this team is in dire need of some veteran leadership/presence.

If everything goes according to plan, the last stones will be put in place by 2007-2008.

Old
05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro

Hamrlick signed in Calgary.

Old
05-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Hey! If Edmonton was able to get big names, Montreal should be able to do the same.

But this season, what Montreal needs to hire is less big-name players, more sandpaper via the free agency. PLus one big defenceman. And trade some up and coming youth for a more established center. Preferably around the age of 26-27. Koivu cannot carry the load by himself, and this team is in dire need of some veteran leadership/presence.

If everything goes according to plan, the last stones will be put in place by 2007-2008.
It's imperative for the Habs to score more goals than they did this past season. They have to at least match Bulis's 20, increase Ribeiro's 16 by at least 4 (IMO Lang could easily do that), and increase Zednik's 16 by as much as 10. In addition, Koivu would have to play 82 games instead of 72 and score 3 more goals. Higgins reached 23 and could go higher. Kovalev missed 13 games and could reach 30 goals this time. Perhaps Lapierre could chip in 10. Finally, Bonk must score at least 12. On the negative side, Bégin may not be able to duplicate his 11 goals.

Old
05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51

What a load of crap!

For the great majority of players the city is either a slight bonus or slight drawback. It is not the deciding factor. Players will always follow money and/or the potential for success, depending on the stage of their career. A city may sway a player's decision if all offers are relatively the same, but no way does a player sign with Montreal because they've won 24 Stanley Cups in the past. Personally, I think it would be a lot cooler to be on a team that wins its first Cup.

Closed Thread