HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Whipping Boy

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 12:34 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Whipping Boy

After Dan Cleary's departure i asked everyone here on HF who they thought the new whipping boy would be this season. Lots of people said Comrie and Izzy. So far that is not the case. Mike Comrie still hasnt played a game for us and Isbister is playing on our first line even though he's been extremely inconsistent thus far into the season. I think the new whipping boys include Brewer, Chimera, Horcoff, and Salo. Who could have predicted that? After 10 games, Salo and Chimera have been criticized the most for their play.

Who do you guys think is the new whipping boy by season's end?

Old
11-03-2003, 12:35 PM
outKast*

BTW my vote goes to Salo.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
After Dan Cleary's departure i asked everyone here on HF who they thought the new whipping boy would be this season. Lots of people said Comrie and Izzy. So far that is not the case. Mike Comrie still hasnt played a game for us and Isbister is playing on our first line even though he's been extremely inconsistent thus far into the season. I think the new whipping boys include Brewer, Chimera, Horcoff, and Salo. Who could have predicted that. After 10 games, Salo and Chimera have been criticized the most for their play.

Pisani no matter how great he plays his style of play will always be woefully under-appreciated and will always recieve ridicule, he will stay in the line-up regardless of fan opinion making him an ideal whipping boy. Chimera for coaching staff as he finds his way in and out of the line-up all year for giving inconsistent efforts. Slight whippings for Cross as many feel he is too slow and will recieve harsh criticism for any bad defensive breakdowns that are even moderatly his fault but I think the fans will accept him as a valuable role player/5th d-man by seasons end.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:13 PM
jadeddog

this isnt a vote, this is a fact

it will be (and should be) salo.... end of story, next thread please.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Craig MacTavish. Again.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:31 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
this isnt a vote, this is a fact

it will be (and should be) salo.... end of story, next thread please.
Of course it should... I mean he is the reason why the Oilers have scored a grand total of 1 road goal...

And the BUM keeps turning the puck over too...

What is with the need to heap everything on to the back of one player? Is it that some people just simply can't analyze a hockey game, so they pick out one person and dish out all their frustrations out on them?

The Oilers have played 2 solid hockey games all year... one against buffalo, one against Colorado...

Everyone on this team has needed a good whipping at some point.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Of course it should... I mean he is the reason why the Oilers have scored a grand total of 1 road goal...

What is with the need to heap everything on to the back of one player? Is it that some people just simply can't analyze a hockey game, so they pick out one person and dish out all their frustrations out on them?

The Oilers have played 2 solid hockey games all year... one against buffalo, one against Colorado...

Each player has a specific job to do on the ice, and with that comes specific expectations. When one of those players, like Salo, is not meeting those expectations, we have a problem. Thats not to say that there aren't other players playing below expectation either. I think everyone has been pretty reasonable about spreading the blame

Old
11-03-2003, 03:02 PM
MrMackey

Quote:

You have to admit that Salo isn't playing like the top-paid player on the team right now, and hasn't for some time.

That said, I agree with your points.

Brewer has been terrible this season, and I hope the fans don't turn on him as he can still emerge as a powerful defensive commodity for the Oil. The same can be said for Isbister, Chimera, and Horcoff (to varying degrees).

Old
11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
THAT i can agree with... thus far, the following comrie's deserve to sit in the comrie chair (in no particular order):

salo
comrie
isbister
comrie
smyth
comrie
comrie
comrie
comrie
pisani
cross
comrie
brewer
bergeron
comrie
horcoff
comrie
laraque
comrie
and comrie

of course, i'll try not to hold a comrie for any specific comrie this year. i'd love to see a team effort where no single player is comried out. i'm hoping that every player can overcome their comrie this season and manage to emerge as a reasoner.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:35 PM
USC Trojans
AD

the whole defense....yes they are playing better...but they still have so many brain farts.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
You have to admit that Salo isn't playing like the top-paid player on the team right now, and hasn't for some time.

That said, I agree with your points.

Brewer has been terrible this season, and I hope the fans don't turn on him as he can still emerge as a powerful defensive commodity for the Oil. The same can be said for Isbister, Chimera, and Horcoff (to varying degrees).
LOVE THE AVATAR!!

Haven't seen it in years, but one of my faves

Old
11-03-2003, 07:30 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Horcoff, Chimera and Salo

Old
11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
gretzky2kurri

By years end? Eric Brewer!