HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bure or Mogilny?

Old
05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
eliasISawesome

vCash: 500
Bure or Mogilny?

Who was the more talented player?

eliasISawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
there both great but imo bure was better

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Clumsyhab

No-brainer, Bure by a mile!

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 01:58 AM
MarkusNaslund19

I don't think that this is a no-brainer at all. Bure was certainly the better natural goal scorer but Mogilny was far and away the better set-up man. I think that conventional wisdom tends to hold that Mogilny was more "talented", but that Bure was more "dynamic" and I could agree with that viewpoint.

That all being said, during his heyday Pavel was definitely my favorite player. If the question was who was better at bringing fans out of their seats, THAT is a no brainer. Pavel for sure.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasISawesome
Who was the more talented player?
Bure! Will never forget the Canucks cup run when I was a kid. Bure Pre-Knee injuries was insane!

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 02:54 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Mogilny had better hands than Datsyuk and Kovalev (imo). He was just simply a wizard with the puck.

That being said, he didn't have Bure's flash or gamebreaking ability. Nor is he my all-time favourite..

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Russian_fanatic

Pavel Bure. Funny both of them played for the nucks... too bad the chemistry between them didn't work out.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Sens Rule

Bure. Though the best of the young Russians at the time was Fedorov.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Jooce81

Pre-Knee injury Bure was mind blowing..

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Stephen

Bure was better. For all the skill Mogilny had, he really had some piss poor years in the NHL where he was nowhere near the PPG mark. At times, Mogilny was really underachieving. Bure was always good for loads of goals when healthy.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Slitty

Well Mogilny did outscore Bure's best season by 16 goals when he got 76 and Fedorov thinks Mogilny is better....

Yet pre injury Bure is like the pre injury ROnaldo in soccer - mind blowingly good. Bure!

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:53 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty
Well Mogilny did outscore Bure's best season by 16 goals when he got 76 and Fedorov thinks Mogilny is better....

Yet pre injury Bure is like the pre injury ROnaldo in soccer - mind blowingly good. Bure!
Fedorov and Bure don't exactly get along anymore...

In terms of outright speed, they're pretty similar. Mogilny might even have a slight edge. In terms of explosiveness, in terms of speed with the puck on his stick, and in terms of agility and deking ability, Bure has the edge.

But as far as playmaking, Mogilny has the edge. I'd even say that Mogilny has a better shot. Bure wasn't a slouch in the shooting department, but Mogilny had an absolute rifle of a shot.

I always viewed Bure as the type who didn't really need a playmaking centre. Just have someone get him the puck and let him dangle. I think pairing him with that deft, stickhandling and playmaking centre wouldn't have had much of an impact on Bure's production, just with the way Bure played. While Mogilny didn't need such a player to dominate, either, but with the way he played, it was more beneficial to him. He could score as both the triggerman or the dangler.

One thing that definitely separates the two: desire. Bure had an unquenchable desire to score goals, even though it often left his teammates scrambling in the defensive zone. All Bure wanted to do was score, and it showed. Mogilny's consistency and determination often waivered, and it has resulted in a career littered with many peaks and valleys, and a plethora of frustrated coaches.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 01:00 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Ah yes, it's such a romantic notion that Mogilny was the most talented Russian ever. Always the sexy pick.

Bure by a mile.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Bure had "it." I know you can't measure or quantify it, or use a scout-able comparison of their games. But this, for me anyway, tips the scale.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
Pavel Bure,
I'll never forget that pre-season goal he scored on the Bruins

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Biggsy

Bure by far the guy just dangles

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Bure hands down. Not even close imo. He wasn't called The Russian Rocket for no reason.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 03:24 PM
bleedgreen

i think mogilny was a better shooter/goal scorer. bure was a better skater. mogilny had a lot of issues that seemed to get in the way of his career. you have to say bure because he did all the time. mogilny was on or off - it wouldve been a closer arguement if mogo had better consistency.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
doublejack

I think Bure was slightly more talented. The year he scored 59 goals in Florida, when 2nd on the team didn't even have 40 points, was just incredible. Dude had 2.5 times the points of anyone else on the team.

Mogilny was an immensely gifted player, but the one season he really produced he was paired with LaFontaine. Otherwise when he had comparable teammates to Bure it was Pavel who put up the better numbers.

Either way we're talking about two really talented players.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 06:00 PM
bakinturkey

bure was extremely fast no doubt but in terms of being a good skater he was a tad bit choppy. IMO he wasn't very smooth.

bakinturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:06 PM
CrazyCanucks

In the summer before Pat Quinn got fired, I had a chance to talk to Quinn for about an hour as he was helping his daughter move out of an apartment building that my cousin lived at the time. We asked him who the most talented player he has ever coached, and surprisingly he did say Almo.

We were just walking out to the parking lot and he was just sitting on the back of the moving van smoking a big fat stogie, while his wife and daughter were moving stuff out of the apartment and down the elevator!!! That was a scene I will never forget!

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Fedorov and Bure don't exactly get along anymore...

In terms of outright speed, they're pretty similar. Mogilny might even have a slight edge. In terms of explosiveness, in terms of speed with the puck on his stick, and in terms of agility and deking ability, Bure has the edge.

But as far as playmaking, Mogilny has the edge. I'd even say that Mogilny has a better shot. Bure wasn't a slouch in the shooting department, but Mogilny had an absolute rifle of a shot.

I always viewed Bure as the type who didn't really need a playmaking centre. Just have someone get him the puck and let him dangle. I think pairing him with that deft, stickhandling and playmaking centre wouldn't have had much of an impact on Bure's production, just with the way Bure played. While Mogilny didn't need such a player to dominate, either, but with the way he played, it was more beneficial to him. He could score as both the triggerman or the dangler.

One thing that definitely separates the two: desire. Bure had an unquenchable desire to score goals, even though it often left his teammates scrambling in the defensive zone. All Bure wanted to do was score, and it showed. Mogilny's consistency and determination often waivered, and it has resulted in a career littered with many peaks and valleys, and a plethora of frustrated coaches.
Remember Bure's first few games as a Nuck? His centre was Ryan Walter and LW was Gino, that should tell you he never needed a playmaking center. But with Almo, his 2 greatest years he had Lafontaine and Ronning

Ahh, to be a nuck fan in the early to mid 90's was amazing, both great talents. I went to his last game that he ever played in Vancouver when his Rangers came here, and he was still amazing then. Too bad managment/ownership always dicked around with him, that's why he wanted to leave.

I heard an interview with Gino and Dan Russel awhile back and the main reason that Bure wanted to leave was Messier was the biggest **** stirrer ever and got Quinn fired. Even though the Nucks wern't always behind him he didn't want to leave, but with Mess around, that was the last straw for him. Too bad, because the year before he left he did score 51 goals again. Pre injury Bure was just amazing, I kinda feel bad for Panther and Rangers fans who didn't really get to see the real Bure in all of his glory like us Canucks fans did all those years. I still hear Jim Robson saying "Pavel Bure" every time he scored!

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Stephen

The Panthers still had him for 2 58 and 59 goal campaigns, so it's not like he wasn't his amazing self in Florida.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Speed and goals? Bure.

Everything else? Mogilny.

Mogilny was more talented and was KEY in the playoffs in New Jersey.

But the genius that was Bure's surging highlight goals is something special.

Is it better to be excellent at many things or exceptional in a couple and merely average at the rest?

I choose Bure, and his special talents, but Mogilny was more talented overall.

If Mogilny had heart, I mean unwaivering gutsy play instead of dogging it for streaky up and down stretches (gawd he sucked in Vancouver sometimes, was awesome other times - totally due to himself!)... Mogilny had the tools to have a HHOF first ballot inductee kind of career.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Alain Racette

Hard to pick, but Mogilny gets my vote. Not as dynamic, but in my opinion was a much better playmaker and dominated games with his intelligence. And his puck/stick handling... My God, it was like he was having sex with the puck! He is one of only a few I can think of who is able to make the puck "dance" when he wants to. He's a wizard!

Even when he played with that nagging hip injury of his, I was still amazed by his play (and in NHL 2004, he had around a 95 Speed rating! Whenever he had the Speed bonus during the game, he was zipping everywhere!)

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote