HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After the first Furlong

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 01:03 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
After the first Furlong

My thoughts on the Oilers first 10 games

Steve Staios is played waaayyyy too much. I know there are a lot of Staios fans on this board and I’m one of them but his ice time is huge and if he’s our number one we’re in trouble. Staios is a smart D-man who positions himself well on the ice but if you watch him for any given period of time you will see how flatfooted he is. Basically when the Staios bus stops it doesn’t get going very fast again. He has almost no take off acceleration. Watch the next time the Oilers are caught running around in there end its almost always a result of either Staios or his cement footed partner Jason Smith being led around by a fast forward cycling. Some of his minutes need to be given to …….

Marc-Andre Bergeron, this guy needs to be in the lineup every night. Has the best offensive instincts in our “D” lineup and is the best outlet passer on the back corp. Already in our top 4 in my opinion. Yes he fumbles the puck nightly and can’t do much more than bite the ankles of the Modano’s in the league but he has still won me over.

The most over-rated Oiler thus far in the season has to be Dvorak. I know this is going to cause waves considering some of the post I’ve read but come on this guy has four assists so far. I see two big problems with Devo. The first is his reluctance to go into a corner hard, is it just me or does he get readily beat in a race for a corner puck. I get the impression that often he doesn’t want to be the first there. The other problem I have is he doesn’t seem to have goal scorers instinct. He has great wheels and seems to skate miles at home often feeding off of crowd energy. But if we wanted a player who can skate 1,000 miles and score little, lets get Dean McCammond back or Marty Gelinas. Throw all the darts you want at Anson Carter but he could score and in todays goal starved league that makes him a far superior player in my books. Of course its only 10 games in ….

Old
11-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I see two big problems with Devo. The first is his reluctance to go into a corner hard, is it just me or does he get readily beat in a race for a corner puck. I get the impression that often he doesn’t want to be the first there. The other problem I have is he doesn’t seem to have goal scorers instinct.
I completely disagree with your assessment of Dvorak! I've watched every game this year and he is one of the first Oilers to fly into the corners.. likewise, he is one of the few Oilers I see that regularly wins his races to the puck! I'll agree that 4 assists thus far are a bit disapointing but keep in mind that 3 of those have come in the last 2 games.. he is starting to heat up and I personally guarantee he's going to pot at least a couple goals on this road trip.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:20 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Dvorak creates scoring chances everytime he gets the puck. He also creates plays for his linemates, namely York. I can't think of any other Oiler that has done that on a consistent basis. His point numbers don't stack up with other guys, but its foolish to judge a player solely on point totals. Especially this early in the year.

I also disagree with your Staios comment. He has been, in my opinion, the Oil's best D-man this year. He has earned the right to play 25 min a game. When he is playing the best of the defencemen, you have to play him the most.

I agree with Bergeron though. He should be playing every game. Even if it means sitting Ferguson.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Throw all the darts you want at Anson Carter but he could score and in todays goal starved league that makes him a far superior player in my books. Of course its only 10 games in ….
Checked the stats lately? Dvorak has more points than Carter and is a +5 to Carter's -1.

I agree with you that I'd like him to score more goals, but as long as he's playing as well defensively as he has been (given our weak defense) and setting up goals, that's fine by me. Even if he ends the season with 0 goals and 50 assists, I'll still be happy -- if he gets an assist it means the Oilers managed to score

Old
11-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Walsher

#1 - Staios needs to play a ton he has been the Oilers only consistent blueliner this year. Brewer has been brutal, Smith is getting better, Semenov decent, Ferguson, Cross, and Bergeron acceptable at times. He has toplay the minutes and he has delivered.

#2 - Bergeron has played well offensively but he cannot be in the lineup every night. The Detroit game for example saw him turn the puck over 5-7 times in the defensive zone leading to excellent scoring chances. He needs to watch games from the press box to learn how the game goes and what he needs to do when he gets on the ice.

#3 - YOu have to be kidding about Dvorak!! He has been the Oiler's second best player in the last 6-7 games (behind York). He is snake bitten in goal totals but he has created offense every shift. He works harder than anybody and his speed creates so many chances for linemates. The plus minus says it all, maybe he isn't scoring but his line definately is. That's more than we can say for the lackluster Smyth Hemsky combo who although have scored are dreadful in plus minus and have been invisible since about game 3.

Aweful interpretation of the Oilers thus far.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I completely disagree with your assessment of Dvorak! I've watched every game this year and he is one of the first Oilers to fly into the corners.. likewise, he is one of the few Oilers I see that regularly wins his races to the puck! I'll agree that 4 assists thus far are a bit disapointing but keep in mind that 3 of those have come in the last 2 games.. he is starting to heat up and I personally guarantee he's going to pot at least a couple goals on this road trip.
I wholeheartedly agree. Dvorak lack of points could be attributed to a specific reason, that being his family troubles. As soon as that reason had been somewhat alleviated (anyone know the latest in how they're doing?) he started to play great. Some early badluck (how many goalposts has he hit now) but hes coming on strong now in the last couple games. More important was that he was bringing a complete game to the ice, something Carter never did. Incidently, Carter only has 3 points right now.

Closed Thread