Notices

Thompson comments on some prospects

Old
05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Thompson comments on some prospects

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4778

Sounds like O'Sullivan is the one with the highest expectation of earning a spot. Not too surprising there. Great quote for the Kassian fans.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 11:37 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4778

Sounds like O'Sullivan is the one with the highest expectation of earning a spot. Not too surprising there. Great quote for the Kassian fans.
So ... that puts Kassian in about St. Cloud, hockeywise?

It's great to hear that Voloshenko is almost ready and that Irmen might be closer than we've all been thinking ... Volo starting with the big club and I-Man as an injury call-up or late season call-up?

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I'm pretty impressed by Voloschenko:

33 goals and 60 points as a 19 year old in his first year of North Amrican hockey?

Wow. Just wow.

He's going to be a nice addition to the Wild someday.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I'm pretty impressed by Voloschenko:

33 goals and 60 points as a 19 year old in his first year of North Amrican hockey?

Wow. Just wow.

He's going to be a nice addition to the Wild someday.
From the beginning, I was struck by how much this guy reminded me of Dino Ciccarelli. The more I know about him, the more apt the comparison seems to me. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of game he brings to the Wild a couple of years down the road.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Lars

Send a message via MSN to Lars
So what are the odds of Voloshenko playing in the big club next year?

Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 02:13 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

about 25/75...He'll have to have an amazing camp...

Anyone else worried about these quotes? Who the hell are we going to get rid of? Are we going to bring in any real, bonafide players instead of relying on rookies?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44_bertuzzi_44
So what are the odds of Voloshenko playing in the big club next year?

I don't think he's very likely to make the team out of camp, but I think the chances are pretty good he'll see some time in Minnesota by the end of the season. His chances of finishing with the big club are a lot better than his chances of starting with them. There are too many variables to make any more exact a prediction than that.

Last edited by Wild Thing: 05-14-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old
05-14-2006, 09:31 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Voloshenko will be in Houston again...

but it looks like its Reitz' chance to make the show, like he's next in line.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 10:27 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
... Who the hell are we going to get rid of? Are we going to bring in any real, bonafide players instead of relying on rookies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
Voloshenko will be in Houston again...

but it looks like its Reitz' chance to make the show, like he's next in line.
Well ... now that you guys raise the possibility ... look at Carolina, Buffalo, Anaheim and San Jose. They're loaded with rookies. I'm worried less about young age and lack of experience as much as I'm concerned about low skill level and limited upside. However, we need to set up any youngsters to succeed. They need to be brought in to fill a role that fits them well.

For example, Wanvig and Vielleux are in their correct roles, but didn't perform that well.

As for who would we get rid of if we bring up a load of youngsters? I would think:

Zyusin - hasn't been the offensive threat we want and doesn't play the body. Am I being unfair to say he threw a check per month this season?

Henry - too slow for the new NHL. See ya.

Kuba - If we sign a legitimate top-class D-Man like Kubina, Jovanovski, Redden or Chara, I think there's a pretty good chance we won't sign Kuba.

I think there would be room for Reitz.

I think Wanvig and Robitaille might not be re-signed to make room for somebody. I'm assuming O'Sullivan makes the team next fall and that Foy will likely fill the 4th line energy player. Whether that's Voloshenko and 1 UFA or two UFAs with Voloshenko getting the call upon the first injury or cold streak, who knows.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 01:42 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Defend AJ Thelen

A random comment before my posting...Veilleux isn't a free agent. We're stuck with him for another year unless we can trade him. Watch that bite us in the *** like the Michalek trade.

AJ Thelen. He has had two disappointing season after we drafted him. He was touted as a defenseman with a little offensive flare. After leaving MSU he went to Prince Albert. Now, I'm taking this as a quote from Thompson...

Quote:
He went from playing NCAA hockey to logging major minutes on a bad team in the Western Hockey League. Suffice it to say his learning curve was huge.
Hence why he probably doesn't have a lot of assists and why his plus/minus is in the garbage. Also, I think Thompson is right that he has a major learning curve ahead of him and that the AHL might be best for him.

But it looks like Minnesota, again 'screwed' up a first round project, or that's what they are telling me in the Prospect Board, which is becoming a load of crap.

What the hell was Minnesota suppose to do? Their AHL team was stacked with defensemen, and one or two of the prospects wouldn't see a lot of time. And he wasn't ready for the NHL. Put him in the ECHL. Yeah, that would work well.

I never liked the Thelen pick but he's here and as a Minnesota Wild (and New York and Los Angeles) fan, I got to defend the guy.

He has 36 points with 79 PIMs in the WHL. Not bad for a defenseman. Not that great but he's suppose to be more of a defensive-defenseman as I stated above.

No one also likes to read that MSU kind of screwed his development up, not Minnesota.

Either we rush our prospects (Schultz, Burns, Bouchard) by signing them or by not signing them (Pouliot and Thelen)...

Personally I trust Minnesota's decision. He got to log huge amounts of ice time at PA, which he probably wouldn't have gotten in the AHL. He played in a tough, physical division.

I would have liked Stafford but Thelen, could end up being a solid prospect down the road.

Old
05-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E
So ... that puts Kassian in about St. Cloud, hockeywise?

Nah, Cloud is only 70 miles away...puts him about Sauk Centre...halfway to Alex

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Bookman

Doobie, I have to admit that I had the same thought after reading Thompson's quotes, especially concerning Reitz. Maybe they won't make a huge splash in the free agent market, but if they add one real quality d'man, and continue adding quality homegrown guys like O'Sullivan and Voloschenko, I guess that would be consistent with their long-term strategy.

Replace Robitaille with O'Sullivan
Replace Zyuzin with Kubina
Replace Henry with Reitz
Replace Wanvig with Foy

Better team? Maybe. I guess I'd like to see a Parrish or equivalent arrive as well to feel like this team had a chance in the West.

Now if Veilluex could play a whole season like he played the last 5 games, we'd have something.

Old
05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

But then you get into the slippery slope of what does Gaborik want to make him stay in Minnesota?

Old
05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
But then you get into the slippery slope of what does Gaborik want to make him stay in Minnesota?
This is the major sticking point to me.

I say, if you're Doug, you bring Gabby in with or without his agent and say, "What do you want us to do?" Involve him in the process. Show him the extra million or so per he is haggling for directly affects the talent that will be surrounding him.

Ask him who he'd rather play with, Kubina and Langenbruner or Kubina and Foy or Reitz and Foy. Let him know this is his team and what he needs to do/sacrifice to win.

I think Doug's job is on the line this offseason and much will be made of how he handles this...

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet E. Sax
I think Doug's job is on the line this offseason and much will be made of how he handles this...
I hope that's the case. I have a feeling ownership looks more at the bottom line though. Doug's been good for the bottom line so far.

Old
05-15-2006, 08:04 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

thelen will be fine

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 11:14 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I hope that's the case. I have a feeling ownership looks more at the bottom line though. Doug's been good for the bottom line so far.
Agreed. If Doug goes Lemaire goes with him, which might not be that bad in the long run. It might actually make Gaborik stay a little longer with the organization.

I know I always look at the bad part of what is going on, but Doug hasn't had a great track record as a GM. I will defend him but I don't like what he is doing with this organization.

Old
05-15-2006, 11:53 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Where the heck was Shawn Belle in that article? The main piece in the Mitchell trade? The guy who was supposedly going to be good for the 6/7 dman spot at worst next year, even if he never reaches his full potential of being the black Zdeno Chara?

Was he that bad during his stint in Houston? Should we be alarmed that he was swept over?

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
Where the heck was Shawn Belle in that article? The main piece in the Mitchell trade? The guy who was supposedly going to be good for the 6/7 dman spot at worst next year, even if he never reaches his full potential of being the black Zdeno Chara?

Was he that bad during his stint in Houston? Should we be alarmed that he was swept over?
And Westrum. One of the leading scorers in the AHL, wasn't he? You'd think if they had any plans for him, that would have been mentioned. I was a little surprised not to see his name in that article.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:37 AM
ceber

Belle is no Matt Kassian.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Bookman

TT seemed to be focussing on his own draft picks, not DR's trade material.