HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

BOG Meeting

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Sweet. It's official now for Cleveland. Just wish I didn't have to wait a year,but beggers can't be choosers. I'll take it!!
It's official that they purchased an AHL franchise. However, they still need to find a parent club.

Assuming that they do find a parent club, hopefully the hockey fans of Cleveland will support this team as they did the Lumberjacks and not the Barons. It's a shame that the Q-Arena is such a bad venue for hockey though.

Old
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

And remember, folks -- this isn't necessarily the final lineup. Didn't Edmonton and Utah wait until June to pull out last year? Or am I off by a month?

Old
05-16-2006, 07:46 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
It's official that they purchased an AHL franchise. However, they still need to find a parent club.

Assuming that they do find a parent club, hopefully the hockey fans of Cleveland will support this team as they did the Lumberjacks and not the Barons. It's a shame that the Q-Arena is such a bad venue for hockey though.
Why is it a bad venue?

Old
05-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Clash*

Quote:
You beat me to the post, but thank you for posting it. Now maybe a certain someone ( )who was sooooo indignant that the BOG meeting wasn't until after the playoffs will, for a change, admit he was WRONG.

I think our "friend" has the BOG meeting confused (shocking as it may seem) with the league's Annual Meeting held June 26-29.
Didn't he also say that the ownership of Utah wasn't going to change? Two birds with one stone, and he'll acknowledge neither.

Old
05-17-2006, 07:38 AM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
That's true, but with many teams only signing one year deals and with others expiring after next season, I don't see that as being a problem. I know everyone wants it, but I sure hope it isn't the Blue Jackets. I'm hoping for Carolina, since Gilbert is buddies with the owner and that could be the reason for the 1 year deal. Plus, I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'.

Quote:
What don't you like about the Q? I'm quite happy with my seats in Sec. 133 and I've sat closer before and in both suite levels and I don't have much to complain about. I don't like the new maroon seats they put in though. They are not all uniform, some are nice and roomy and others on the ends are made for like toodlers or something. Other than that, we just have to play second fiddle to basketball and any other attraction, but I'm sure that's the same for any team in a larger city, especially who shares a venue with NBA team.

As for support, I think if Gilbert and Co. are truely sincere about what they say, then it should all be good. They have they're own press release here, with some promising, feel good statements:

http://www.clevelandprohockey.com/

I think the main thing they need to realize, is unlike places like Worcester or Cincy, they don't have to cater as much to the "hardcore fanbase"... or at least not spend as much effort in that area. They need hit hard and establish a strong identity and start building a fanbase from the ground up. Sure it's important to make those couple hundred people happy, but you need to cultivate a greater presence to be successful. It sounds like they understand that stuff, but we will see. I think they best thing they could do is announce a name and come out with a logo and start promotions now. Don't bother with a 'name the team' thing or stuff like that. No one cares right now. You need to make people care, show them what you have and tell them why they want to see it. Basically you have to treat it like a brand new market. Also would do him well to look at some of the things Youngstown has done.

Old
05-17-2006, 09:21 AM
pelts35.com

Personally I think the sightlines at the Q are poor, especially in the lower bowl between the blue lines. The fact that the games I have gone to have had horrendous attendance doesn't help the ambiance of the arena.

Old
05-17-2006, 09:37 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Didn't he also say that the ownership of Utah wasn't going to change? Two birds with one stone, and he'll acknowledge neither.
Man, the silence is deafening.

Last edited by Serena587: 05-17-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old
05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Personally I think the sightlines at the Q are poor, especially in the lower bowl between the blue lines. The fact that the games I have gone to have had horrendous attendance doesn't help the ambiance of the arena.
Well, I will have to agree with you there, but for me I don't like that area anywhere I go. If lower, I try to stick to the sides towards the ends, or the ends if I have to. I much rather be up a little higher though, to get a fuller view of the ice.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:37 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
Well, I will have to agree with you there, but for me I don't like that area anywhere I go. If lower, I try to stick to the sides towards the ends, or the ends if I have to. I much rather be up a little higher though, to get a fuller view of the ice.
The "problem" is that the Q was built for basketball so the designers did not take into account spectators having to look over the boards and the glass. That said the rows were not built "steep" enough resulting in the majority of the lower bowl rows having horrible sight lines. Further, since the lower bowl only has 15 rows or so, the lower bowl has the worst seats in the house.

Old
05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Timl2009

[QUOTE=SLBaronsFan]That's true, but with many teams only signing one year deals and with others expiring after next season, I don't see that as being a problem. I know everyone wants it, but I sure hope it isn't the Blue Jackets. I'm hoping for Carolina, since Gilbert is buddies with the owner and that could be the reason for the 1 year deal. Plus, I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'.

SLBaronsfan

To a point I can agree, but Columbus was greatly improved at the end of last year and seems to have built a good foundation for future success..Carolina would be a decent fit too..wouldnt even mind Buffalo if they leave Rochester (Havent heard they will)Teams I would not want for certain..San Jose, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Anaheim..(I know they have affils for next year..all speculative).That all said, I would like a Stanley Cup contender or Columbus..

Old
05-17-2006, 01:46 PM
pelts35.com

[QUOTE=SLBaronsFan]That's true, but with many teams only signing one year deals and with others expiring after next season, I don't see that as being a problem. I know everyone wants it, but I sure hope it isn't the Blue Jackets. I'm hoping for Carolina, since Gilbert is buddies with the owner and that could be the reason for the 1 year deal. Plus, I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'./QUOTE]

Two questions...

1) Why do you not want Columbus? They provided Syracuse with a very good team this past season.

2) Why do you want Carolina? The Hurricanes have yet to produce a good minor league team at the AHL level with the exception of last season when they had Calgary as their partner.

Old
05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Two questions...

1) Why do you not want Columbus? They provided Syracuse with a very good team this past season.

2) Why do you want Carolina? The Hurricanes have yet to produce a good minor league team at the AHL level with the exception of last season when they had Calgary as their partner.
I think I pretty much summed it up with this statement:
I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'.

Others feel different, but that's my opinion. I'd rather be able to see my prospects move up and possibly contend for the Stanley Cup (as the Sharks could do), than watch the guys hit a wall because even if they do move up, their parent team just doesn't have what it takes to be a contender (ala Syracuse and Columbus). Again, that's just my opinion and my preference.

Old
05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Man, the silence is deafening.

*quoted deleted post~Serena587*

Didn't we all say that Elmore Sports was headed to Orlando w/ Florida and then Cincinnati blew up in all of our faces as being a done deal, Pelts35, What will they say if the AHL ALL of a sudden reverses and revokes the Cleveland franchise, because of what happened w/ the Robinsons, has Gilbert promised anything to ensure that indeed pro hockey will be in Cleveland, not the promises.....

Who knows what Edmonton will end up doing.

What will Cleveland fans do for 2006-07...

Last edited by Serena587: 05-17-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
[QUOTE=pelts35.com]
Quote:
That's true, but with many teams only signing one year deals and with others expiring after next season, I don't see that as being a problem. I know everyone wants it, but I sure hope it isn't the Blue Jackets. I'm hoping for Carolina, since Gilbert is buddies with the owner and that could be the reason for the 1 year deal. Plus, I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'./QUOTE]

Two questions...

Pelts35:

Carolina was approved to move to Albany as Lowell has been bought by New Jersey was also approved. Calgary left Lowell in 2004-05 to establish their dormant team which had been in Saint John (also the last non-IHL Calder Cup Champion) to establish a team in Omaha, Colorado is the team now aligned with the Hurricanes now in Albany as it was in Lowell. All Lowell & Albany did was 'trade' affiliates

Old
05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Didn't we all say that Elmore Sports was headed to Orlando w/ Florida and then Cincinnati blew up in all of our faces as being a done deal, Pelts35, What will they say if the AHL ALL of a sudden reverses and revokes the Cleveland franchise, because of what happened w/ the Robinsons, has Gilbert promised anything to ensure that indeed pro hockey will be in Cleveland, not the promises.....

Who knows what Edmonton will end up doing.

Dan Gilbert is a killer businessman. He's not going to purchase a team and make empty promises. The Gilbert camp has been talking AHL hockey since before SJ pulled out of Cleveland. Until the 2007-08 season, we'll just have to follow another AHL team, the Steelhounds, or take roadtrips to Worcester....all of which I know are the plans of many fans in Cleveland.

Cincy and the Robinsons have absolutely NOTHING to do with Cleveland and Dan Gilbert.

Old
05-17-2006, 02:13 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I think I pretty much summed it up with this statement:
I'd much rather affiliate with a possible Stanley Cup champion, or at least a solid contender, than a 'never was' and 'never will be'.

Others feel different, but that's my opinion. I'd rather be able to see my prospects move up and possibly contend for the Stanley Cup (as the Sharks could do), than watch the guys hit a wall because even if they do move up, their parent team just doesn't have what it takes to be a contender (ala Syracuse and Columbus). Again, that's just my opinion and my preference.
If anything, prospects on a lesser NHL club have more of a chance of playing in the NHL sooner than prospects of a better NHL club given that they are higher drafted prospects.

Although, if you are happy with having a losing AHL franchise that produces NHL players then all the power to you. I think that you are probably in the minority though as most fans of AHL teams want their teams to win.

Old
05-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Serena587

Quote:
If anything, prospects on a lesser NHL club have more of a chance of playing in the NHL sooner than prospects of a better NHL club given that they are higher drafted prospects.

Although, if you are happy with having a losing AHL franchise that produces NHL players then all the power to you. I think that you are probably in the minority though as most fans of AHL teams want their teams to win.
The first part of your statement is true, but the second part isn't entirely. Syracuse is consistantly in the playoffs, even though they don't make it very far.

Old
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
What will they say if the AHL ALL of a sudden reverses and revokes the Cleveland franchise, because of what happened w/ the Robinsons, has Gilbert promised anything to ensure that indeed pro hockey will be in Cleveland, not the promises.....
Wow... that is too ridiculous to even respond to. Like you have been told before, Cincy and Cleveland are 2 totally different situations, even if you refuse to understand that. There's no sense even comparing the 2.

Quote:
Like I said before, there are many non-AHL hockey alternatives to keep fans busy if they so desire.

Old
05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the success of the AHL team. Who doesn't want to watch a winning team? I just said I'd rather be affiliated with an NHL club that can actually go the distance. CBJ isn't that club.. but like I said, that's only my opinion.

Old
05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Wow... that is too ridiculous to even respond to. Like you have been told before, Cincy and Cleveland are 2 totally different situations, even if you refuse to understand that. There's no sense even comparing the 2.

Like I said before, there are many non-AHL hockey alternatives to keep fans busy if they so desire.
Yes, it is SL

Whether U CHOOSE to believe it, Cincinnati is still a member of the AHL as long as the Robinsons hold the franchise, you may think it's not but we were led just as Utah is a 'dormant' franchise---the AHL will set down guidelines for Gilbert to follow, the ? BECOMES can he follow through, nothing is a guarantee, until the Gilbert franchise takes the ice & the Robinsons didn't have to jump through hoops to get a team for their building.

Anything can backfire at any given time, the Robinsons found that out, and why are they not back in the league.

Last edited by Serena587: 05-17-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Serena587

Enough with the personal attacks and baiting. It won't be tolerated here. Let this stand as a blanket warning.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:24 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Yes, it is SL

Whether U CHOOSE to believe it, Cincinnati is still a member of the AHL as long as the Robinsons hold the franchise, you may think it's not but we were led just as Utah is a 'dormant' franchise---the AHL will set down guidelines for Gilbert to follow, the ? BECOMES can he follow through, nothing is a guarantee, until the Gilbert franchise takes the ice & the Robinsons didn't have to jump through hoops to get a team for their building.

Anything can backfire at any given time, the Robinsons found that out, and why are they not back in the league.
Well, you are correct about 1 thing. Domant Cincy and the new Cleveland (former Utah) are both AHL franchises. No one said any different

#1 - Robinson didn't have to jump through hoops. He set the 2000 STH number, it was not met and he pulled the plug. It has nothing to do with the league. It was the business decision he made.

#2 - Yes, anything can happen. That still doesn't mean you can compare the situation in Cincy to Cleveland.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Well, you are correct about 1 thing. Domant Cincy and the new Cleveland (former Utah) are both AHL franchises. No one said any different

#1 - Robinson didn't have to jump through hoops. He set the 2000 STH number, it was not met and he pulled the plug. It has nothing to do with the league. It was the business decision he made.

#2 - Yes, anything can happen. That still doesn't mean you can compare the situation in Cincy to Cleveland.
Why did the AHL meet w/ the Robinsons then if the Robinsons set the ticket limit---my point SL---Cincinnati has the building & the team, just as Cleveland does now, as to point # 2, my warning is to Cleveland fans, don't fall into the trap that Cleveland may go ahead, but the AHL has the right to change the guidelines when u observed the Cincinnati situation, don't let that happen in Cleveland, because I don't want to see fans in Cleveland, we've seen deals like Cincinnati be a foregone conclusion, as well the Orlando potential that the Panthers had a year ago that went south, ok SL.

I just don't want to read somewhere down the line, that either Cleveland isn't ready to go, and find out that they have to wait another year and the AHL WON'T allow a deal if they cannot a guarantee a start date.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Yes, it is SL

Whether U CHOOSE to believe it, Cincinnati is still a member of the AHL as long as the Robinsons hold the franchise, you may think it's not but we were led just as Utah is a 'dormant' franchise---the AHL will set down guidelines for Gilbert to follow,
When will you get it that the AHL had nothing to do with the 2,000 season tickets sold threshold for re-entering the league? Worcester only sold 1,308 season tickets as of Christmas 2005 during their drive, and yet they are getting an AHL team next season. Stay with me now, this is the important part...Why would the AHL hold Cincinnati and Cleveland to a higher standard than Worcester? The answer is they wouldn't. The Robinsons had a self-imposed threshold of 2,000; and decided that anything less would mean no hockey. If you have a different answer to the specific question, "Why would the AHL hold Cincinnati and Cleveland to a higher standard than Worcester," I'd love to hear it.

Quote:
the ? BECOMES can he follow through, nothing is a guarantee, until the Gilbert franchise takes the ice & the Robinsons didn't have to jump through hoops to get a team for their building.
In reality, there is no question at all. Dan Gilbert wants to bring hockey to Cleveland to fill dates the Q. He hasn't set a season ticket threshold because he doesn't care about pre-sold season tickets. He just doesn't want to have an empty building with no events, so he is bring back hockey to fill dates.

Quote:
Anything can backfire at any given time,
If this is the route you want to travel down, you could say that the AHL might fold and there is no hockey for anyone next season. Countless other minor leagues have folded, so why not the AHL? I'm certainly not syaing that it will, but by using this approach of "Anything can backfire at any given time" why should anyone count on the AHL being around next season. This isn't a personal attack, I'm just pointing out that you have to make a reasonable conclusion based on the circumstances at hand.

Quote:
the Robinsons found that out, and why are they not back in the league.
The Robinsons set a threshold for season tickets, they didn't meet that standard, so they decided not to pursue reviving the franchise. Robinson could have gone forward without meeting his target, just like Worcester, but he made a conscious business decision not to go forward. Calling this a backfire that could happen at any time really doesn't consider the facts and circumstances around the case.

Last edited by Majik1987: 05-17-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old
05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Why did the AHL meet w/ the Robinsons then if the Robinsons set the ticket limit---my point SL---Cincinnati has the building & the team, just as Cleveland does now, as to point # 2, my warning is to Cleveland fans, don't fall into the trap that Cleveland may go ahead, but the AHL has the right to change the guidelines when u observed the Cincinnati situation, don't let that happen in Cleveland, because I don't want to see fans in Cleveland, we've seen deals like Cincinnati be a foregone conclusion, as well the Orlando potential that the Panthers had a year ago that went south, ok SL.

I just don't want to read somewhere down the line, that either Cleveland isn't ready to go, and find out that they have to wait another year and the AHL WON'T allow a deal if they cannot a guarantee a start date.
LOL... you still make no sense.. but I'm sure everyone in Cleveland is happy you care so much about them.

Closed Thread