HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Danbury Trashers

Old
05-14-2006, 10:28 AM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
OT: Danbury Trashers

Ok. First off, SBOB, DG, Mel Jr., and everyone else, Im a regular at these boards. While I may sound like some PR sales rep, Im not. Im just trying to tell people about something they might enjoy.

Im not really sure if many of you have heard about the Danbury Trashers , Danbury's UHL team. The UHL is a league with play below the skill level of the AHL. They are currently ahead 3-2 in the semifinal series against the Muskegon Fury for the Colonial Cup ( if they win this series they will play Kalamazoo in the championships ). I just discovered this team this year, and I have been to five of their games, including game 5 of the semis against Muskegon last night.

This is good ol' old time hockey in Danbury, with lots of hitting and physical play. For $25, you can buy a ticket to a game online and parking. If your seat sucks there is plenty of room to stand behind the glass and watch the game standing up. There is one big grandstand on one side of the ice, and the other side of the ice is underneath the upper level seats so you can lean up on the glass and watch the game. This building wasnt designed with a team in mind, so if you go you will see what I mean. If they make the finals, they will play in Danbury the week of the 21-27th ( games 3, 4, and 5 ). Last night I had as much fun there as going to a Rangers game at the Garden.

If you do go I highly advise not to being little children. The Danbury Ice Arena is home of Section 102, a group of hardcore fans that sit at every game behind the road bench making the road team's life a living hell. They even 1-up some of the Blueseaters at the Garden. Some of the stuff they chant is really funny, but everyone is there to have a good time.

Hope you guys might enjoy this post. Definitely check this team out if they make it to the championships.

-g52

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I remember asking you abot them before g52. I definitely want to check one of these games out, but never seem to think about checking the schedule and picking a game.

Danbury's an interesting place. Before I lived in the area, there was a place called the Danbury Speedbowl at the site where the Danbury Mall now stands. It hosted local, Saturday night short track racing and drew a nice crowd of loyal fans. It had been gone for years by the time I moved to Fairfeld County, but people still talked about what a part of the community it was and many race fans I know still refuse to go to the Mall out of spite. If only Hartford had that kind of passion.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
g52*

If you do decide to go to a game, tell me and maybe we can meet up or something. Judging from the semifinal schedule and if they make the finals, they will play on Wed the 24th, and the Friday and Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. I will probably go to the Friday or Saturday night game with my Dad and 2 brothers.

Last edited by g52*: 05-14-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old
05-14-2006, 08:32 PM
pld459666

G, I've played at the Danbury Ice Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52
If you do decide to go to a game, tell me and maybe we can meet up or something. Judging from the semifinal schedule and if they make the finals, they will play on Wed the 24th, and the Friday and Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. I will probably go to the Friday or Saturday night game with my Dad and 2 brothers.

the main sheet (where I assume the Thrashers play) is nice, the sheet in the back is a little rough in the corner

:I played for Pippa's a few years ago, actually house hunting in CT so I can start playing again.

Havent been to a Thrashers game just yet, but I hear it's a blast

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
if you ever go to a game watch section 102.
the guys there are friggin nuts. I attended a game last year and got the pleasure of sitting in section 102 and had a blast.
Section 102 is minor league hockey taunting of the opponent at its finest.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
g52*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
if you ever go to a game watch section 102.
the guys there are friggin nuts. I attended a game last year and got the pleasure of sitting in section 102 and had a blast.
Section 102 is minor league hockey taunting of the opponent at its finest.
I usually sit in Section 101. It seems like 101-103 are the only sections in the arena that get into the game. The other side ( the upper level ) is mostly families and they are quiet.

The game I went to some of the Fury players and their trainer started talking back to the people in 102. You cant do that. The second you admit defeat, it only gets them more excited. I was hoping the Trashers would win to see what **** would go down between 102 and the Fury as they were leaving the ice.

Old
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
bmoak

You can also take the train up to Danbury, as the DIA is right across from the Metro station.

Ticket prices are right (although playoffs are more expensive) and DIA has the cheapest concession prices I've seen in a hockey arena. However, bring a cushion for the bench and a strong bladder. There's only one restroom in the DIA (there's one upstairs, along with a concession stand, but most of their seats up there have an obstructed view of the ice.)

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Crease

I'm a big Jackals fan, being that I played Juniors over in Elmira and skated/kicked down a few beers with a bunch of guys on the pro team. Nice guys too.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Isn't this the franchise whose President is a teenager? The son of a gun gives great hope to Sports Management majors across the tri-state area!! That alone would make me go see them.

Of course it seems shady that this kid is basically running a franchise, almost only in Hollywood, but is the team respectable? Not a joke or laughingstock as they say?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
g52*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Isn't this the franchise whose President is a teenager? The son of a gun gives great hope to Sports Management majors across the tri-state area!! That alone would make me go see them.

Of course it seems shady that this kid is basically running a franchise, almost only in Hollywood, but is the team respectable? Not a joke or laughingstock as they say?
The team is respectable. The president ( A.J. Galante ) is only 19

Old
05-15-2006, 05:59 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Wow, 19. That's rediculous. I would love to see some physical hockey. Are there alot of penalties?

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
g52*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
Wow, 19. That's rediculous. I would love to see some physical hockey. Are there alot of penalties?
The last game I went to, not really. But in the regular season there is at least 1 fight per game. First game I went to the Trashers were playing the Kalamazoo Wings for the first time this season. In the last season, I think one of the Wings broke something in one of the Trasher's legs and he was out for the whole season ( Brad Wingfield? ). About 7 minutes in, the gloves drop, and 8 or so players are fighting each other on the ice. The whole mess took about 15 minutes to clean up.

Old
05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52
The last game I went to, not really. But in the regular season there is at least 1 fight per game. First game I went to the Trashers were playing the Kalamazoo Wings for the first time this season. In the last season, I think one of the Wings broke something in one of the Trasher's legs and he was out for the whole season ( Brad Wingfield? ). About 7 minutes in, the gloves drop, and 8 or so players are fighting each other on the ice. The whole mess took about 15 minutes to clean up.
Nice, I remember the RIT game that had a brawl was the most exciting. I'm gonna try and see some of those games in the future.

Old
05-16-2006, 06:10 AM
g52*

Ok Danbuy is in the championships now. They won 7-6 in triple overtime in game 6.

Games in Danbury:

Game 3- Wed, May 24th
Game 4- Fri, May 26th
Game 5- Saturday, May 27th

Last edited by g52*: 05-16-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old
05-16-2006, 07:08 PM
g52*

Tickets are on sale now. I think I am going to game 4. I will confirm later.

Old
05-18-2006, 06:53 PM
g52*

Ok. I got 4 tickets to Game 5 on Saturday. If anyone is going send me a PM. Due to recent events, there is a good chance that Game 5 will be the last ever game played in Danbury ='(

Check the ECHL and other minor pro leagues board for information.

Old
05-18-2006, 07:33 PM
dank

Should I buy tickets asap, or are they going to be available last minute?

Do you think Game 3 would be worth a 2.5 hour drivE?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 10:06 PM
g52*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
Should I buy tickets asap, or are they going to be available last minute?

Do you think Game 3 would be worth a 2.5 hour drivE?
Im not sure if you should travel 2 and a half hours to see this team. Its really good hockey for a cheap price, but on a workday 2.5 hours is pretty far.

Tickets will be available close until the game times. If I were you, I would wait until laste Saturday night ( after game 2 is done ) and then decide which game you hsould go to depending on how the series is going.

Old
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
g52*

Ok the series is tied 1-1 going into Danbury for the next three games.

Old
05-21-2006, 05:45 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Dammit! Damn RIT and their Quarter system, with their late finals and such.

I am really interested in this but there is no way for me to get out there.

Old
05-28-2006, 12:22 AM
g52*

Ok so Kzoo won the cup ( 4-1 series ) and I saw them skate around with it tonight after the game. Wasnt the ending I was hoping for but I had a good time.

Old
06-10-2006, 02:15 PM
bmoak

That might have been it for the Trashers. I don' have any links handy, but Thrashers owner James Galante was arrested, and is being held without bail, on a 72-count indictment by the feds in a massive investigation into mob ties in the trash hauling business in Connecticut. 29 people were indicted, including last year's coach Todd Stirling (for wire fraud in sending off frauduent salry information to UHL offices to circumvent the salary cap.) The indciment claims several Trasher players and/or their wives were given lucrative no-show positions at Galante's waste-hauling company (one of the 5 players subpeonaed was Brent Gretzky), to boost their salaries to $100,000.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
That might have been it for the Trashers. I don' have any links handy, but Thrashers owner James Galante was arrested, and is being held without bail, on a 72-count indictment by the feds in a massive investigation into mob ties in the trash hauling business in Connecticut. 29 people were indicted, including last year's coach Todd Stirling (for wire fraud in sending off frauduent salry information to UHL offices to circumvent the salary cap.) The indciment claims several Trasher players and/or their wives were given lucrative no-show positions at Galante's waste-hauling company (one of the 5 players subpeonaed was Brent Gretzky), to boost their salaries to $100,000.

This thread from beginning to end might be one of the funniest ones i've read on this board, and i'm a Feb/2002 ....I'm starting the screenpaly this week....

Great stuff guys

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2006, 08:04 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
This thread from beginning to end might be one of the funniest ones i've read on this board, and i'm a Feb/2002 ....I'm starting the screenpaly this week....

Great stuff guys
Haha, GOOD CALL!! I agree. Team comes to hault because owner is arrested. First time I've even thought about those words arranged in the same sentence like that.

Old
06-10-2006, 08:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
Haha, GOOD CALL!! I agree. Team comes to hault because owner is arrested. First time I've even thought about those words arranged in the same sentence like that.

Very Bruce McNall.