HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we go after Spezza

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Should we go after Spezza

Should we break all the rules and offer Spezza a high contract?

He is a RFA this summer...exactly what we need here in Montreal. A young, high offensive center. How about a 4 year deal for 15.9 million. Roughly 3.95 per season and the compensation would be a 1,2,3 round drafts picks.

Would really hurt Ottawa right now as they are trying to sign both Redden and Chara

Old
05-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
No , i hate that kid so much .

Old
05-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Spezza is fun to watch, but he reminds me a little of Pierre Turgeon.

Old
05-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Slick Nick

nah, giving up too much for what he could possibly bring. Like him a lot though..

Old
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I hate him with a passion.

Old
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
No way. Living in Ottawa, and listening to a great number of Sens fans whine about him has turned me off. Never was a huge fan, although sometimes he does nice things with the puck. Unfortunately, it seems for every unbelievable thing he does, he also does something absolutely stupid, like a no-look pass to the other team.

Old
05-11-2006, 12:53 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
hate him or not...the kid can rack up some impressive numbers..and look like he his a playoffs performer...he his exactly what this club need

Old
05-11-2006, 01:26 AM
bonefizzle

it will take more then 4 mil a year

Old
05-11-2006, 03:16 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
hate him or not...the kid can rack up some impressive numbers..and look like he his a playoffs performer...he his exactly what this club need

The best one I heard over here for a while... Cant stop laughing

The king of chokers, a giveaways master, a little girl when it becomes tougher... He is a high risk center which one you just cant rely on..

Man, Spezza has always choked everywhere he played starting in junior where he never won anything, to the WJC where he was QUITE brutal (Team Canada Junior did not even want him back at his last year of eligibility), AHL playoffs a shame as well and has been benched by Martin in games #6 #7 of the OTT-Tor serie 2 years ago, Martin put Vermette in instead...

Wow Spezza a real one, a playoffs performer... Im gonna die too much laughing.

Its one thing to be highly skilled, another to have what it takes mentally to be able to compete... Spezza is one of the guys I dislike the most, great skills, no brain, no heart .. Lucky he is to have guys like Redden, Phillips, Chara, Meszaros, Volchenkov to repair his uncountable mistakes...

I dont want a circus, I want a winner team.. Guys like Ribs and Spezza are perfect for a McDonald caravane, not for real hockey!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-11-2006 at 03:48 AM.
Old
05-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea

The king of chokers, a giveaways master, a little girl when it becomes tougher... He is a high risk center which one you just cant rely on..

Man, Spezza has always choked everywhere he played starting in junior where he never won anything, to the WJC where he was QUITE brutal (Team Canada Junior did not even want him back at his last year of eligibility), AHL playoffs a shame as well and has been benched by Martin in games #6 #7 of the OTT-Tor serie 2 years ago, Martin put Vermette in instead...

Its one thing to be highly skilled, another to have what it takes mentally to be able to compete... Spezza is one of the guys I dislike the most, great skills, no brain, no heart .. Lucky he is to have guys like Redden, Phillips, Chara, Meszaros, Volchenkov to repair his uncountable mistakes...

I dont want a circus, I want a winner team.. Guys like Ribs and Spezza are perfect for a McDonald caravane, not for real hockey!
I didnt reead all of your rant, but Its really his 1st playoff series. Martin had a personal vendetta against him and didnt play him. I dont see how you can label him a choker. Maybe he is a young cocky kid cause he has alot of talent, but you cant be labeled a crappy pressure player when you consistently put up numbers.
I would take him over 90% of anyone on the habs roster.

Old
05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Guy Caballero

I think he'd get eaten alive in Montreal if he was asked to be a top guy. I'm not sure he'll ever get to that level. He seems to me like the kind of player who looks good with the right support but who'd falter if asked to shoulder the load himself.

That's not to say I wouldn't take him. It's just a question of what role we would expect him to fill.

Old
05-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

So is he like the Rich man's version of Ribeiro, then?

Anyway, he's a restricted free agent, so he's essentially unavailable. I don't see any paradigm shift coming in the treatment of RFA's in the NHL, so any RFA is just as good as a permanently signed roster player, IMO, and not remotely available.

Old
05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

that why he got 8 pts in his last 5 games..and he score the 2 goal of his team last night.... u still laughing big boy ?

Old
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Habsaku

No thanks, better options at center if you want an RFA.

Old
05-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Standard NHA Rant
You remind me of the guy on Sainte-Catherine who yells at random passersby.

Old
05-11-2006, 09:55 AM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Spezza is fun to watch, but he reminds me a little of Pierre Turgeon.

He riminds me of mike ribeiro the bigger version. A guy with so many skill but has yet to pick up his game in the playoffs and shys away from the physical game. I dont follow the sens but when they play the habs and I see Speza I see a guy that lacks work ethic because speza is the type of player thats got so may tools to become a premier center in the league.

Old
05-11-2006, 10:06 AM
ti-vite

What ever happende to Arnason in Ottawa? Didnt they pick him up to be #2 center? I know he struggled upon arrival...

Concussion or something?

Old
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
znk

Wow...are you ready to lose all thos picks for Spezza?

Old
05-11-2006, 10:21 AM
henri2014

We dont want ottawa choking habit to be connected to our team. That habit seems so powerfull.

Old
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Bob Bastards

If your ready to spend your next 4 year 1 round draft pick, I am sure there is better RFA then Spezza, who look like a bigger version of Mike Ribeiro...

So, thanks but no thanks...

Old
05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
If your ready to spend your next 4 year 1 round draft pick, I am sure there is better RFA then Spezza, who look like a bigger version of Mike Ribeiro...

So, thanks but no thanks...
I wouldn't want to surrender those draft picks either. However, you do Spezza an injustice by calling him a bigger version of Mike Ribeiro. He's younger and on a much higher plateau. A propos, he scored both of Ottawa's goals last night (oh, if only Ribeiro could do something like that!).

Old
05-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Redden
Chara
Havlat

The rest they can keep.Alfredsson is playing like crap.Heatley and Havlat are really playing well and are not the reason the Sens are loosing.But Havlat speed is unreal.I would love to see him in le Bleu Blanc Rouge

Old
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
What ever happende to Arnason in Ottawa? Didnt they pick him up to be #2 center? I know he struggled upon arrival...

Concussion or something?
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think that he is an healthy scratch since the start of the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

No, for the simple fact that trying to acquire a RFA will haunt a franchise for years after.

Old
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Dynasty

Short answer, NO!! If you want an explanation just watch the final game between Buffalo and Ottawa tonight.

Closed Thread