HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ville Koistinen signs with Predators

Old
05-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Uppercorner

vCash: 500
Ville Koistinen signs with Predators

According to a Finnish afternoonpaper Ilta-Sanomat Predators have signed Ville Koistinen (D). Koistinen is undrafted and played a remarkable season in SM-liiga and was TOP-1 on points (defender):

2005-06 Ilves Tampere 56. 8+26=34 70 min

Born June 1982, weight 89 kg (196 lb), height 181 cm (5' 11''), shoots left. One of the best skaters in the whole league. Very skilled with stick handling and can provide beautiful long passes. Also a good hitter with clean classical open ice big hits. Has to develop consistency.

More stats here:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=10735

The news has NOT been officially declared yet but among team "insiders" this was a fact a couple of days ago.

Uppercorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercorner
According to a Finnish afternoonpaper Ilta-Sanomat Predators have signed Ville Koistinen (D). Koistinen is undrafted and played a remarkable season in SM-liiga and was TOP-1 on points (defender):

2005-06 Ilves Tampere 56. 8+26=34 70 min

Born June 1982, weight 89 kg (196 lb), height 181 cm (5' 11''), shoots left. One of the best skaters in the whole league. Very skilled with stick handling and can provide beautiful long passes. Also a good hitter with clean classical open ice big hits. Has to develop consistency.

More stats here:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=10735

The news has NOT been officially declared yet but among team "insiders" this was a fact a couple of days ago.
Another player under 6ft that can pass......... great just what we need another one.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Interesting. I did not see this coming. Makes you wonder if it signals a change occuring with some of our current roster players.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:09 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Interesting. I did not see this coming. Makes you wonder if it signals a change occuring with some of our current roster players.
He is gonna be 24 in June....seems like someone to play in Milwaukee rather than break directly in with the Preds like Zids did.

Still an interesting signing....would like to hear from some more of the European posters that have seen him play.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
He is gonna be 24 in June....seems like someone to play in Milwaukee rather than break directly in with the Preds like Zids did.

Still an interesting signing....would like to hear from some more of the European posters that have seen him play.....
I like his attitude if he's willing to sign a two-way deal that could easily leave him in Milwaukee for next year.

Old
05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
wow, that came from nowhere.

I dont understand it unless he goes straight to Milwaukee. Either that or we simply didnt learn much from out postseason failures.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Uppercorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93
Another player under 6ft that can pass......... great just what we need another one.
Well...sell the first one and get a center....

Old
05-15-2006, 02:19 PM
SmokeyClause

If he makes the Preds roster next year, it might come at the expense of Timonen. He seems like he has the potential to upgrade Timonen, whose skating has fallen off a table lately [notice the word potential. I'm not saying he's as good). At 5'11"-6'0", he's a good two inches taller than Timonen and equally as heavy. But he sounds like he plays a more physical game. As a franchise, we can't really afford to bump up against $40 million in team salary. So if he were to step in and replace Timonen, he could save the franchise roughly $2 mil a year. And that money can go towards landing an elite level center. Though I haven't seen him play yet, I wouldn't rule out this equation being true: Koivinen + elite center > Timonen + good center.

Here are some thoughts about Ville Koistinen from around HF…
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES
Ville Koistinen (-82) won defensemen scoring in regular season. He is a good skater and rarely is in the wrong place at wrong time. Good hitter also, but doesn't hit so often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Young Jiri Slegr with less hockey sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeysFuture
After a short-lived reign of the inconsistent Jyrki Lumme, the 23-year-old puck-moving defenseman Ville Koistinen took over as No. 1, had a career season and scored 34 points.

Old
05-15-2006, 03:21 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercorner

I find this to be very interesting and wonder why it hasn't been officially announced yet....

*conspiracy theories running amok*

Old
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I have no problems with signing any player to a two-way deal after he leads his league in scoring. We have had decent sucess with overachiveing Euros on the backend....Why not take a flier on another one. I would love to see us sign a few of our russians (Kulyash, Glazachev, and Shafigulin would be nice). I would also like to see clarification on Richard Stehlick and Poile's thoughts on him.

05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
handtrick

I see nothing other than speculation and hope that he has signed a two-way deal.....anybody got anything more concrete than that?

Old
05-16-2006, 02:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hopefully this is the first sign that Timonen is going to be flipped somewhere in a deal for a center.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Uppercorner

Quote:
anybody got anything more concrete than that?
Update.
Ville and sports manager Juha Hautamaa (Team Ilves) were interviewed today in local newspaper (Aamulehti). Ville did not comment on the contract when asked, but according to Hautamaa´s answers situation is clear: Ville will not play in Ilves next season. Obviously Ville has been instructed not to comment anything before Preds have officially confirmed the contract.

The same thing happened last year when Tomi Pettinen signed with Islanders. It was in the news here in Finland weeks before it was finally confirmed on team´s website.

On comparisons between Timonen and Koistinen.

Kimmo Timonen
178 cm / 5' 10"
88 kg / 194lb

16 years First sm-liiga season with Kalpa Kuopio 1991/92 5.0+0=0
18 years Team Finland WJC 1993 7. 2+0=2
18 years Third season in SM-liiga 1993/94 46.6+7=13 -12 55min
21 years Team Finland 1996 WC 6.0+1=1 +1 0min
23 years first season in NHL Nashville 1998/99 50.4+8=12 -4 30min

When Timonen left for NHL he was 23 years, had played 6 whole seasons in SM-liiga in three different teams (272 games), participated in OG, World Championships (2 times), WCup and WJC (3 times).

Ville Koistinen is 3 cm's taller (1 inch) and 3 kg's more (7 lb). Born June 1982.
Played his first SM-liiga season in 2000/01 at eighteen years: 6. 0+0=0
Since then no international games on senior level (which was however critized this year, he sould have been given the chance).
5 full seasons in SM-liiga with 238 games (one season injured), all played in Ilves.

So you can clearly see, that similarities are limited to the size and play style. Timonen was years ahead of Koistinen who only now seems to be blossoming. I'm still quite confident that he will have all that takes to make it through but he is certainly not as ready a package as Timonen was in 1998. Also, Koistinen is a really tremendous hitter. I only wish he would have used that skill more often.

Last edited by Uppercorner: 05-16-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
PredsMan

I don't understand why folks seem so eager to move Timonen.

I have absoluteley no desire to see him go.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 10:07 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan

I'm not sure it's that we desire to move him. Some of us feel that he is expendable. He really didn't play great this year and struggled at times with the speed of the new NHL. And each year, he seems to disappear down the stretch. Like clockwork, he fails to produce anything in the last 10-15 games of the regular season, and our powerplay usually suffers.

He's a valuable member of our team and our defense is better with him than without him. But at $2.5 mil/yr, he's expensive for what he provided last year. And with $3.3/yr already tied up in Zidlicky, possibly $1.5-2/yr in Hamhuis, and potentially 2-3+/yr in a UFA defenseman, he might be considered expendable based on the numbers.

It's not that we want to see him go. It's that if he does go, it could mean a return that includes a great center. And while Timonen is a good, solid defenseman, he's not more valuable to this team than a great center. All things being equal, I'd rather him stay. But if he's the key cog that lands us what we need, he's not so invaluable that we can't say goodbye.

Old
05-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Flonaldo

Nice signing. However, someone's going to beat him to a pulp over there if he goes for more of his trademark hip-check-to-the-knees.

Flonaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 01:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

because he was paid more money than any of our defensemen last year, and was about the fourth best. at times fifth best.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Pattypred

Quote:

IF he hadn't played half-arsed the last 1-1/2 months, I wouldn't be eager .... however, it looked like he just stopped caring. THAT I have a problem with.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 03:13 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
because he was paid more money than any of our defensemen last year, and was about the fourth best. at times fifth best.
C'mon now....4th best, 5th best...get real....

Vokoun says he is one of the most underated defensemen in the league...and I tend to agree.

I'll give you Hamhuis, maybe Zids...and the others have had individual games that were better.....but what other[s] would you put as overall better defensemen, total year considered besides Hamhuis and/or Zids?

Witt...no
Suter....no
Eaton....not when you factor in offense and defense
Weber....maybe, but 20 games is not enough to call him better overall.
Markov.....no offensive game at all [only Pred besides Witt to have zero goals]....was a joke on the PP.

Old
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
C'mon now....4th best, 5th best...get real....

Vokoun says he is one of the most underated defensemen in the league...and I tend to agree.

I'll give you Hamhuis, maybe Zids...and the others have had individual games that were better.....but what other[s] would you put as overall better defensemen, total year considered besides Hamhuis and/or Zids?

Witt...no
Suter....no
Eaton....not when you factor in offense and defense
Weber....maybe, but 20 games is not enough to call him better overall.
Markov.....no offensive game at all [only Pred besides Witt to have zero goals]....was a joke on the PP.
I'd put him third behind Markov and Hamhuis, but only slightly ahead of Eaton and Zidlicky. Though Markov brought no offensive game, his defensive game was much more stout than Timonen's despite being hobbled all year long. And on a team that is starving for defensemen that can bring a defensive game, he gets the nod. I'd still put Timonen ahead of Eaton because while Eaton is as good in his own zone, he doesn't bring the offense. Zidlicky is more offensively talented (and at times more valuable too) than Timonen, but I prefer Timonen's work in his own zone to Zids. And as mentioned with Markov, I weigh skills in your own zone more heavily than offensive talents.

The bottomline is that I label him 3rd overall with 4 and 5 not too far behind nor 1 and 2 too far ahead. For the money he makes, he should be better than he was last year and should be considered our top defenseman.

Old
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
P-M Bouchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonaldo
Nice signing. However, someone's going to beat him to a pulp over there if he goes for more of his trademark hip-check-to-the-knees.

Never seen him hip check to the knees in home games.
(seen them all)

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 04:27 PM
PredsMan

I don't agree with much of this...

Timonen's value is hard to guage, because he's quietly good at all aspects of the game. He's not all flash, and sure he does make mistakes...but when you're a top pairing guy, and a top PP guy...I think that makes you a core player.

Lets not forget how good Timonen makes other players on the PP...Delmore for example...

Of course, you folks are entitled to your opinion...but I don't have to agree...

It just seems like he's become the whipping boy around here because he didn't put up huge offensive numbers this season.

These boards sometimes become a pile-on...when it really isn't as bad as it's made to seem.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
handtrick

Quote:
I don't agree with much of this...

Timonen's value is hard to guage, because he's quietly good at all aspects of the game. He's not all flash, and sure he does make mistakes...but when you're a top pairing guy, and a top PP guy...I think that makes you a core player.

Lets not forget how good Timonen makes other players on the PP...Delmore for example...

Of course, you folks are entitled to your opinion...but I don't have to agree...

It just seems like he's become the whipping boy around here because he didn't put up huge offensive numbers this season.

These boards sometimes become a pile-on...when it really isn't as bad as it's made to seem.
The thing is....his offensive number BETTER than they have been in any other year including his All-Star year:

Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%
2005-06 Nashville NHL 79 11 39 50 -3 74 156 7.05
2003-04 Nashville NHL 77 12 32 44 -7 52 180 6.67
2002-03 Nashville NHL 72 6 34 40 -3 46 144 4.17
2001-02 Nashville NHL 82 13 29 42 +2 28 154 8.44
2000-01 Nashville NHL 82 12 13 25 -6 50 151 7.95
1999-00 Nashville NHL 51 8 25 33 -5 26 97 8.25
1998-99 Nashville NHL 50 4 8 12 -4 30 75 5.33

-granted, much of the improvement is in assists, and with Kariya on the PP, that is what you would expect....but I still don't understand all the whipping boy mentality for Timonen around here.......piling on is a good description.....and I just didn't see all the mediocrity that most around here accusing him of.....

Last edited by handtrick: 05-16-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old
05-16-2006, 06:12 PM
beautypersoni

I wouldn't want to see Kimmo Timonen go, as I see him as one of the team's true leaders; definitely the leader on defense. If the team wants a center, they need a big center. If they want a big first-line level center, they'd need to give up someone like Dan Hamhuis. If they'd settle with a second-line level center, they could part with Ryan Suter. (IMO, Timonen has been under-rated this season, while Hamhuis has been over-rated.)

Anyhoo...

beautypersoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Pred303

the only two defensiveman that you would feel that are absolutely untouchable in this organization right now are Hamhuis and Weber ... while neither is a true first pairing guy yet, both are still the foundation around which the blueline will be built with this team in the future.. i don't get the "trade hamhuis" talk one bit..

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote