HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Elias

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2006, 08:02 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Elias

Do you think it would be worth it spending a big part of our ressources on Elias? I know that pretty much every team would be after him but it's more of a question of should we try and offer him a contract (around 7 million) and should we attribute such a big portion of our budget to one player.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Habsaku

I think the only guys worth any sort of money given this off season are Sakic and Lidstrom. Unforntunatly, I dont see either leaving their homes.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
toughstuff

I would make an offer

Elias was well groomed in the Devils organization. They pretty much have the same values as the HABS. This would probably the ideal UFA signing by the HABS.

I would however be very hesitant in offering anything near $7M. Memories of Bobby holik haunt me. The question is where does he fit in our salary scale.

I say:

Kovalev
Koivo
Elias

Therefore he should not be paid, or at least not much more than Kovo or Koivu (4.5M to 5.5M)

Old
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I think the only guys worth any sort of money given this off season are Sakic and Lidstrom. Unforntunatly, I dont see either leaving their homes.
What would you be willing to give Elias? There must be a number.

Or are you just pretty sure that your number would be lower than someone else's?

Old
05-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201127
What would you be willing to give Elias? There must be a number.

Or are you just pretty sure that your number would be lower than someone else's?
He's an amazing player, one of my favorites, but he'd get the same as Saku, so about 5M a year for 5 years. He'll get over 6M I'm pretty sure though, but you seem to have guessed it.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Very good player. Very expensive, but it's not my money.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
Memories of Bobby holik haunt me.

Whoa whoa whoa.......Bobby Holik and Patrik Elias aren't in the same stratosphere of talent.........7 million is worth Elias, but he won't get that. GM's have to be smart.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:27 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
He's an amazing player, one of my favorites, but he'd get the same as Saku, so about 5M a year for 5 years. He'll get over 6M I'm pretty sure though, but you seem to have guessed it.
I think you're right.

But in order to sign any big name UFA, we will have to overpay (give them more than Saku). In a way it would be nice to see the habs roll the dice. On the other hand, I really like the way BG is building the team SLOWLY.

Whether BG overpays, and signs a big name, or just keeps the nucleus and adds tier 2 talent, the fans and media will flame him either way.

There is only 1 way to get evryone's adoration in Montreal...

Old
05-16-2006, 08:28 PM
digitalmonkey*

I say we resign Huet and then go out and get Elias, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Chara and Redden. All current players (other than Huet) are either traded, demoted or disappear on a trip to the la brea tar pits.

This leaves:

Arnott - Elias - Langenbrunner

Chara - Redden

Huet

It's definitely possible because Gainey and Carbonneau know Arnott. Arnott knows Elias and Langenbrunner who also know each other. Gainey and Carbonneau also know Langenbrunner and Chara and Redden are familiar with each other.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Shazbot

Quote:
I would make an offer

Elias was well groomed in the Devils organization. They pretty much have the same values as the HABS. This would probably the ideal UFA signing by the HABS.

I would however be very hesitant in offering anything near $7M. Memories of Bobby holik haunt me. The question is where does he fit in our salary scale.

I say:

Kovalev
Koivo
Elias

Therefore he should not be paid, or at least not much more than Kovo or Koivu (4.5M to 5.5M)

I see it as more like Elias > Kovalev, Koivu. He's just such a great package of skill, speed, leadership and consistency. An Alfredsson type. To me it's a no-brainer. My opening offer would be $5.5 million.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:29 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Whoa whoa whoa.......Bobby Holik and Patrik Elias aren't in the same stratosphere of talent.........7 million is worth Elias, but he won't get that. GM's have to be smart.
If we can get him for 5M, sign the papers right now!!!

Old
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
I think you're right.

But in order to sign any big name UFA, we will have to overpay (give them more than Saku). In a way it would be nice to see the habs roll the dice. On the other hand, I really like the way BG is building the team SLOWLY.

Whether BG overpays, and signs a big name, or just keeps the nucleus and adds tier 2 talent, the fans and media will flame him either way.

There is only 1 way to get evryone's adoration in Montreal...
People will crucify me for saying this, I'll get the poster who "overrates" prospects label, but I think Kostitsyn has a very similar skillset then Elias. He's sort of an in-between Kovalev and Elias in my opinion. He's a player who works very hard to get better but I dont think he has the pure smarts Elias does. I think he can be "that" player who can step up and get the goal at the end of a third period or some thing like that. I'd take Elias for the fact he can play center personally, I dont see our wingers as a glaring need. That said, I'd be extatic if he wore a Habs jersey next year. A little less if he was in blue.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey
I say we resign Huet and then go out and get Elias, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Chara and Redden. All current players (other than Huet) are either traded, demoted or disappear on a trip to the la brea tar pits.

This leaves:

Arnott - Elias - Langenbrunner

Chara - Redden

Huet

It's definitely possible because Gainey and Carbonneau know Arnott. Arnott knows Elias and Langenbrunner who also know each other. Gainey and Carbonneau also know Langenbrunner and Chara and Redden are familiar with each other.
If evryone on this board is so much dummer than you, why are you here?

Are you saying that there is no way the Habs will sign a big name????

Old
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
I see it as more like Elias > Kovalev, Koivu. He's just such a great package of skill, speed, leadership and consistency. An Alfredsson type. To me it's a no-brainer. My opening offer would be $5.5 million.
I dunno about speed, he doesnt strike me as an Alfredsson either, he keeps his cool in tense situation whereas I think Alffy has a problem with stressfull games, he tries too much. I think he's the same in the sense they are heart and soul player. They dont even play the same wing .

Old
05-16-2006, 08:34 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
People will crucify me for saying this, I'll get the poster who "overrates" prospects label, but I think Kostitsyn has a very similar skillset then Elias. He's sort of an in-between Kovalev and Elias in my opinion. He's a player who works very hard to get better but I dont think he has the pure smarts Elias does. I think he can be "that" player who can step up and get the goal at the end of a third period or some thing like that. I'd take Elias for the fact he can play center personally, I dont see our wingers as a glaring need. That said, I'd be extatic if he wore a Habs jersey next year. A little less if he was in blue.
You might be right about Kost, but I think we might be able to win before he is at that level. Elias is there...Now.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Live Forever

Elias is worth 6.5 million and he'll get it from someone. Say what you want, but if he didn't come back to play those 38 games, New Jersey wouldn't have made the playoffs. This guy has dynamite speed and a bullet of a shot and he's defensively smart. Out of all the Free agents, he's the one that strikes me as a true game breaker.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:55 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
If evryone on this board is so much dummer than you, why are you here?

Are you saying that there is no way the Habs will sign a big name????

Sorry, I would have responded earlier, but I was laughing at "dummer".

I didn't say anyone was dumb. I think the chances of the Habs signing a big name are slim. Gainey may go after Chara or Redden, but I think he's smart enough to know that some team is going to overpay for Arnott. Langenbrunner is NOT a big name. Elias stays in New Jersey for about 6 million.

Old
05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
Elias is worth 6.5 million and he'll get it from someone. Say what you want, but if he didn't come back to play those 38 games, New Jersey wouldn't have made the playoffs. This guy has dynamite speed and a bullet of a shot and he's defensively smart. Out of all the Free agents, he's the one that strikes me as a true game breaker.
I totally agree. Those who think Elias will get around 5 million are crazy. He is worth more then that and will probebly get near the maximum.

Old
05-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bob.... i doubt Gainey goes after another European born player, i think he wants to insulate the younger players with veteran gritty players. Although Elias has proven to be a leader on the ice and a spark in anyones lineup (see Czechs without him ) I dont see him coming here.

Old
05-16-2006, 09:56 PM
toughstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
I totally agree. Those who think Elias will get around 5 million are crazy. He is worth more then that and will probebly get near the maximum.
I certainly hope owners are wise and fiscally responsible. I would never give him more than was given to Vince Lecavalier. (aprox. $6M)

Old
05-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
I certainly hope owners are wise and fiscally responsible. I would never give him more than was given to Vince Lecavalier. (aprox. $6M)
ah ah ah.... Glen Sather lives, Elias is Czech you know....

Old
05-16-2006, 11:56 PM
jcpenny

Forget him, were not getting him.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Forget him, were not getting him.
Elias who?

Old
05-17-2006, 06:21 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Wow, it is nice to dream of a Koivu/ Kovalev/ Elias line. DYNAMITE - BOOOM.
Offer $6mil. Let's get him. Ribs/Ryder/Higgins line 2, unless Bob can trade Ribs and add Arnott.

Old
05-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Fozz

Elias and/or Langenbrunner would be amazing singings for the Habs!

Closed Thread