HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the size and aggresiveness of our prospects (optimistic)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 06:57 PM
  #1
DEBASER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
the size and aggresiveness of our prospects (optimistic)

the habs forward prospects are considered by many to be a tad on the small side, a problem that is amplified given the number of small forwards currently on the team. this post is an optimistic look at the size of our prospects, especially when forcasting their potential place on the NHL roster. the way i look at it, our *small* prospects won't be integrated alongside our small players, they will replace them, and add size in the process.

higgins will replace perrault at center - higgins is 10 pounds heavier and a lot more physical.

plekanek will replace juneau - he is 2 inches shorter than juneau, but is 5 pounds heavier, and much more solid on his skates.

perezhogin/kastsistyn will replace audette/dackell - they are both 6 footers compared to dackell (5'11) and audette (5'8)

it is true that we don't have a 6'3 220 lbs power forward in the system, but over the next few years our team will get bigger in height and strenth. more importantly though, these prospects are better skaters and much more aggressive. as a direct result, the team should be more entertaining. i catch glimpses of audette acting like he gives a damn every so often, but our team looks so apathetic! hopefully the above mentioned prospects add an element of excitement that we currently lack. only a handful of forwards (koivu when healthy, zednik, bulis, ryder, ward, and begin) give solid efforts on a nightly basis.

DEBASER is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:05 PM
  #2
DEBASER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
sorry, can't help myself from making a 'projected lineup' if the above replacements actually happen. of course, this is at least a year or two down the line.

hossa - ribiero - zednik
ryder - higgins - kastsistin
bulis - plekanek - perezhogin
kilger - begin - ward

ribiero could be trade bait if koivu takes his spot. i heard some rumblings that plekanek could be traded because he plays the same 'type' of game as ribiero and koivu. i guess time will tell which one will be the odd center out on our top 3 lines.

sure looks like a lot of talent on the top 3 lines...though our centers are admittedly small...

DEBASER is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
  #3
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I vote for Plekanec to stay, Ribeiro to be traded. What can Gainey get for him?

Corey is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:32 PM
  #4
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I vote for Plekanec to stay, Ribeiro to be traded. What can Gainey get for him?
I can already hear the outroar in Mtl ....

Habsolution is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 07:55 AM
  #5
KnuklZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBASER
i heard some rumblings that plekanek could be traded because he plays the same 'type' of game as ribiero and koivu.
I think that you cannot compare Plekanec to either Koivu or Ribeiro. Each of them has their pros and cons, of course Koivu is better than the other two in many ways.

I see Ribeiro = Koivu minus the intensity and defensive awareness. Both are very creative players that make their wingers look good. On the other hand Plekanec brings something to the game that would be a better asset for a second line Center which is excellent 2-way play, size and speed.

IMO, Plekanec would be a much bigger asset in our lineup than Ribeiro if Koivu is healthy. Also I am sure if Ribeiro can shine in early season he would be a tradable commodity unlike a (in NHL terms) unproven prospect in Pleks.

KnuklZ is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 09:07 AM
  #6
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I vote for Plekanec to stay, Ribeiro to be traded. What can Gainey get for him?
I agree with you about trading Ribeiro. He definitly has a very creative mind, but dosen't posses the size nor the determination to become a good NHLer.

I think the media propaganda in his case is disturbing for the team. The whole french-canadian press is over him, some geniuses even compare him to Gretzky.

I doubt Gainey could recive much in return for Ribeiro. I would also like to see Plekanec on the team, and try Perezhogin instead of Audette.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 10:33 AM
  #7
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
I agree with you about trading Ribeiro. He definitly has a very creative mind, but dosen't posses the size nor the determination to become a good NHLer.

I think the media propaganda in his case is disturbing for the team. The whole french-canadian press is over him, some geniuses even compare him to Gretzky.

I doubt Gainey could recive much in return for Ribeiro. I would also like to see Plekanec on the team, and try Perezhogin instead of Audette.
Pedneault would be apoplectic if Ribeiro were traded but he'd get over it in time if the Habs start winning. In the meantime, Ribeiro had better start scoring 200 points a season if he wants to catch up to Gretzky.

Corey is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 10:52 AM
  #8
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I vote for Plekanec to stay, Ribeiro to be traded. What can Gainey get for him?
I would agree. Even though I cannot deny that Ribeiro has elite vision and puckhandling skills, he's way too slow, inconsistent and weak for the kind of team I want to see built in Montreal. Comparatively, Plekanec is a speedster and has a good 20lbs of extra muscle, even if shorter, meaning he has a lower center of gravity and is stronger on his skates than Ribs.

I cannot envision anyone of them as #1 centers on a strong team. Neither on a checking line as their game is both about offense. I would keep Plekanec just because he's faster, stronger and has also very good hands and passing skills. A Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder line could do some damage in a year or two as our 2nd line.

NO MORE SLOW SOFTIES PLEASE!

Munchausen is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 01:14 PM
  #9
Bruinster*
 
Bruinster*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind the enemy lin
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
I want to put my opinion here from the ouside !

People who think Plekanek will help on "size and agresiveness" are blind !

Wow he's 5 lbs heavier than Juneau ! He's small and he play like That, he's not "Fleury", I saw him a couple of time and honestly I think he'll be a minor leaguer for most of his career ! For his size he's not so speedy or very quick either .

Bruinster* is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 01:53 PM
  #10
KnuklZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
I want to put my opinion here from the ouside !

People who think Plekanek will help on "size and agresiveness" are blind !

Wow he's 5 lbs heavier than Juneau ! He's small and he play like That, he's not "Fleury", I saw him a couple of time and honestly I think he'll be a minor leaguer for most of his career ! For his size he's not so speedy or very quick either .
Well you saw him a couple of times...you cannot judge some1 based on a couple of games and it also depends how recently you saw him play. I also saw him a few times in pre-season (and many have seen him recently with the Bulldogs) and he is a gritty fast player that plays bigger than his size. I could see him playing a regular shift in the NHL fairly soon. But thats just my opinion and I hope I am not wrong.

KnuklZ is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:18 AM
  #11
Cloudigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In my dreams
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
I agree with you about trading Ribeiro. He definitly has a very creative mind, but dosen't posses the size nor the determination to become a good NHLer.

I think the media propaganda in his case is disturbing for the team. The whole french-canadian press is over him, some geniuses even compare him to Gretzky.

I doubt Gainey could recive much in return for Ribeiro. I would also like to see Plekanec on the team, and try Perezhogin instead of Audette.
the only thing I disagree is about Riberiro's trade value. I think Gainey could get a really good asset for the team.. I think teams like Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, New jersey (well everyteam that are allready big and that are getting old( well New Jersey is the exception but they need pure offense..well they also need someone to replace larionov next year ) could be interested in Ribeiro.. if he shows that he can produce on a regular basis.. the thing is that right now right now he hasent proved it... but Gainey can sure tell he others GM about Ribeiro special abilities...

now im not thinking we will get a franchise player for him.. but lets say we could get a player like .. BUlis ;o) if he wasent in our team allready...

Cloudigger is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
  #12
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
I want to put my opinion here from the ouside !

People who think Plekanek will help on "size and agresiveness" are blind !

Wow he's 5 lbs heavier than Juneau ! He's small and he play like That, he's not "Fleury", I saw him a couple of time and honestly I think he'll be a minor leaguer for most of his career ! For his size he's not so speedy or very quick either .

I don't agree. I just got back from watching him play 3 games. He is fast. He can hit and take a hit, but I wouldn't say he's physical. His acceleration is good not great, but against AHLers he fast. It's tough to say how he would do against NHLer in a year or so, but I think he's got good speed. Plus he will throw some cheap shots here and there, and has a bit of a nasty side to him which is good to see. I don't see Fleury in him, but a good hockey player that works hard, and sees the ice well. He can stickhandle at top speed, and setup plays very well. His defense and balance seem to have gotten better over last year, but he will need to get stronger still.

montreal is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 05:13 PM
  #13
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I don't agree. I just got back from watching him play 3 games. He is fast. He can hit and take a hit, but I wouldn't say he's physical. His acceleration is good not great, but against AHLers he fast. It's tough to say how he would do against NHLer in a year or so, but I think he's got good speed. Plus he will throw some cheap shots here and there, and has a bit of a nasty side to him which is good to see. I don't see Fleury in him, but a good hockey player that works hard, and sees the ice well. He can stickhandle at top speed, and setup plays very well. His defense and balance seem to have gotten better over last year, but he will need to get stronger still.
What do you think of the firm tape to tape passes he's been doing, and don't you think he is fabulous at angling the guy out when he is coming in. If they try to go through him, he will nail them, and he is widely feared. I noticed in many games the players are afraid of going in against him, and dump it quickly. He is truly the backbone of the Bulldogs defense. He was on for some unlucky goals. I especially like the fact that he is always getting in opponents faces, and challenging them to fights.


I WAS TALKING ABOUT KOMISAREK...lol I NEVER REALLY READ THE WHOLE POST!

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 05:28 PM
  #14
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
What do you think of the firm tape to tape passes he's been doing, and don't you think he is fabulous at angling the guy out when he is coming in. If they try to go through him, he will nail them, and he is widely feared. I noticed in many games the players are afraid of going in against him, and dump it quickly. He is truly the backbone of the Bulldogs defense. He was on for some unlucky goals. I especially like the fact that he is always getting in opponents faces, and challenging them to fights.


I WAS TALKING ABOUT KOMISAREK...lol I NEVER REALLY READ THE WHOLE POST!

I was wondering what you were talking about, haha I see what you are saying though about Komo. Except I think his passes weren't always tape to tape. On the PP, he was rushing them too quickly and causing Beauchemin a real fit. I did see Komo lay some good hits, and even go to drop the gloves. He stuggled in the game against the Amerks (who are a good team) and was benched for the 2nd period after taking a dumb penalty and then getting a bs call by the ref (all Komo did was skate by and say something to him, it didn't look like anything major, but he got 2 mins + 10 min misconduct for it) But he came back strong in the 3rd, and his goal from a point shot tied it up and turned the game around. (which hamilton didn't really deserve to win that game until the 3rd when they got it going)

montreal is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:48 PM
  #15
Papa Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
ah yes, another "let's run one ribeiro out of town" thread. i guess it was due since it had been a couple of weeks(or maybe days) since anyone had mentioned it.

man, ribeiro has played pretty well this year. yeah, he's not 6'3, but he's played gritty and been pretty responsible defensively.

let's face it, zednik is EXTREMELY streaky, and he's in a funk right now, and hossa has yet to find his grove (although he's done a good job of being more physical this year - from what i've seen so far anyways).

i'm glad to see that plaekanec is playing well in hamilton but he's a few years from contributing even at a ribieiro level. and that's asuming he'll ever get there...

anyways, all i'm saying is that ribeiro is not going to score a point a season this year, we should ALL get that out of our heads, but then again, neither will Jason Spezza (in all likelyhood).
the real problem is the fact that not enough of the forwards want to attack the net, and audette has not played that well offensiely for most of the season...

out

Papa Bear is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 07:35 PM
  #16
DEBASER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear
ah yes, another "let's run one ribeiro out of town" thread. i guess it was due since it had been a couple of weeks(or maybe days) since anyone had mentioned it.
no one wants to run ribiero out of town, we are merely speculating about the best possible team in the future. ribiero is a big question mark because he is among our most talented forwards, yet his weaknesses are concerning. if he can maximize his talent and work on his speed and strength, then we should keep him. the problem is that plekanek and higgins already look to be more well rounded than ribiero and also have offensive skills. time will tell who emerges, but i must admit i think ribiero's future with the habs is pretty shakey.

DEBASER is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.