HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

hemsky article in sun

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2003, 06:18 AM
  #1
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
hemsky article in sun

the article wasnt anything special and what was written in it wasnt something new... we all know that hemsky should maybe get the puck on net a little bit more than he does.... what was interesting to me was the very last quote from hemsky where he ended it with "i know, i know..."

now i might be reading too much into this but doesnt this sound a little but like a guy who is frustrated about hearing how he should shoot all the time? maybe im being too "motherly" with him (though i think we need to be with such a young talent) but i dont know if they (journalists) should be bugging him ALL the time about this.... let it some on his own, you know his coach is telling him this and his teamates are telling him this.... does he really need to be asked questions about it from the media as well?

the kid is leading the team in points (9) and has 3 goals over 11 games, which works about to about 23 goals and 70 points over the season.... not exactly bad numbers for a 20 year old..... IMO we let this phenomenal talent grow on its own, without much pressure from the outside.... i know its a journalists job to ask such questions, but i wish they would let up on the younger guys sometimes

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 07:47 AM
  #2
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Actually, that same thought crossed my mind when I read the last "I know, I know" thing...you don't want to put SO much pressure on a guy to change his game that it would affect the rest of his play, and with a young guy, you do run a higher risk of that.

I figure they work on it in practise more and more so that he can start to think about shooting more *there*, so that when it's game time, it becomes easier to do without over-thinking it and forcing the wrong play. Like MacT said in that article, if Hemsky feathers a pass to Smyth for an empty-net tap-in goal, then a pass was the right play to make. If that pass goes off a stick or is intercepted, then it was the WRONG play, but that's only looking at it after the fact...!

And I could definitely handle Hemsky getting 23-47-70 over the year, so I'd say to ease off a little on the SHOOT! thing. He's got plenty of time to adjust his game over the next 6-8 years...!

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 09:32 AM
  #3
Cowboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
I completely agree with leaving him alone and letting him develop, however, of all the players on the roster who have played the same amount of games, he has the least amount of shots. With his ice time and PP time he should get more shots, even just getting the puck to the net creates opportunity for other forward like smyth to bang in the reboud. I agree we shouldn't bug him, but he has to shoot more than he is.

Cowboy is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 10:38 AM
  #4
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Not that I disagree with what you guys are saying but I want to point out something from another perspective. As much as I'd like to claim my membership in the full-time media core... I'm still the newest of the new guys on that particular block. But I have spent quite a bit of time in the dressing room this year and see the moods of the players and how they interact with certain media people too.

I wasn't there for the "I know I know" scene so i don't know the circumstances, and I actually haven't read it so I don't know which SUN scribe wrote it (Robin or Rob). What I can say is Hemsky MIGHT have said "I know I know" with a big smile on his face and then snapped a ping pong ball at the reporter two seconds later. It COULD have been a half joking situation.

Not saying it was because I wasn't there, but, just so you know the room can be pretty friendly between players and the big name reporters at times so the answers could be more light hearted than when you read them in print.

GuyF

Guy Flaming is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 10:42 AM
  #5
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Not that I disagree with what you guys are saying but I want to point out something from another perspective. As much as I'd like to claim my membership in the full-time media core... I'm still the newest of the new guys on that particular block. But I have spent quite a bit of time in the dressing room this year and see the moods of the players and how they interact with certain media people too.

I wasn't there for the "I know I know" scene so i don't know the circumstances, and I actually haven't read it so I don't know which SUN scribe wrote it (Robin or Rob). What I can say is Hemsky MIGHT have said "I know I know" with a big smile on his face and then snapped a ping pong ball at the reporter two seconds later. It COULD have been a half joking situation.

Not saying it was because I wasn't there, but, just so you know the room can be pretty friendly between players and the big name reporters at times so the answers could be more light hearted than when you read them in print.

GuyF

Thx again Guy, It's great to have a different dressing room prespective

s7ark is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 11:30 AM
  #6
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
IMO we let this phenomenal talent grow on its own, without much pressure from the outside.... i know its a journalists job to ask such questions, but i wish they would let up on the younger guys sometimes
So now the journalists are coaching the players? Is that just weird, or are we overanalyzing things?

While I emphatically agree with not putting undue pressure on young guys like Hemsky (especially, as you say, from the media), I don't wholly buy the "grow on its own" comment when applied to the coaches.

If a coach with years of NHL experience isn't allowed to say a few words to a 20 year old when he's just learning the ropes on the big ship, then I'm at a loss as to when the coach should be trying to exert a positive guiding influence on the young'uns. I don't have troubles if MacT is saying Hemsky should be trying to shoot more. If the media parrots him, maybe that's just a necessary annoying consequence.

oilswell is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
  #7
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
I just got a Home (Drk. Blue) Hemsky Jersey for my B-day!!!

It is awesome...and everyone at school today (GMC) was checking it out with a "Who the hell is Hemsky" look. Except for the real hockey fans...they gave me the grin and nod...Pretty cool stuff!

The best part about this jersey?

My GF and Derek Morris went halfers on it. (Last time Colorado was in town he gave her a huge $100 tip, she spent it on the jersey )

Nice eh?

Hemmer is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 12:39 PM
  #8
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
any edmontonion who doesnt know who Ales Hemsky should be kicked in the groinal area 83 times.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
11-06-2003, 12:41 PM
  #9
Hemmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ethan Moreau for MVP! NOW! VOTE!
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
any edmontonion who doesnt know who Ales Hemsky should be kicked in the groinal area 83 times.

Wouldn't that classify as a "lower body injury" in GM-ish?

Hemmer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.