HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: World Cup Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2006, 05:10 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Just got back from the Red Lion after the Champions League finals. 6 beers, hamburger, and back to work...

Great match: I never want to see two Italian teams in the finals again! Arsenal played much better than they had a right to with just 10 men, but Barcelona deserved the win.

Can I just say, the day after I write that Jens Lehmann has had a fabulous year, he goes and makes exactly the sort of mistake I've always thought he was prone to. To be fair, Eto'o was in free and he didn't have much choice, but he was beaten and he knew that the red card was coming. He's managed to avoid poor decisions most of this season, but when it counts...

This Sunday is the real big event for me, though, the Championship Playoff Final, Watford and Leeds. I'll be at Nevada Smith's early in the morning for that one! Come on you 'orns!

Last edited by 007: 05-17-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old
05-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Vidic5*

<<<<<Take a wild guess who I'm rooting for, SRBIJA I CRNA GORA!!!! NAPRED PLAVI!!!! England is my second favorite team. They are just too stacked to ignore. Rooting against France (I like nothing about that country).

Couldn't care less about the US team. It would have been appalling if Adu made the team. He can barely hold his own in the MLS. Definitely not the rare talent this country is making him out to be. At his age, Wayne Rooney was playing in the EPL and impressing.

Old
05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Just got back from the Red Lion after the Champions League finals. 6 beers, hamburger, and back to work...

Great match: I never want to see two Italian teams in the finals again! Arsenal played much better than they had a right to with just 10 men, but Barcelona deserved the win.

Can I just say, the day after I write that Jens Lehmann has had a fabulous year, he goes and makes exactly the sort of mistake I've always thought he was prone to. To be fair, Eto'o was in free and he didn't have much choice, but he was beaten and he knew that the red card was coming. He's managed to avoid poor decisions most of this season, but when it counts...

This Sunday is the real big event for me, though, the Championship Playoff Final, Watford and Leeds. I'll be at Nevada Smith's early in the morning for that one! Come on you 'orns!
LEEDS FOR PREMIERSHIP!

Old
05-18-2006, 12:18 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
LEEDS FOR PREMIERSHIP!
Sure, just not this year...

Old
05-18-2006, 12:43 AM
TheZherdev

[QUOTE=polako]Since when is the Netherlands an underdog?? They're a top team!

Well normally they are one of the best teams in the world. But they didn't even make 2002 world cup. THere are also about 5 or 6 teams that are more favored to win. But yea i guess your right, their not an underdog.

Old
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Nevada Smith's is great...

However will they be charging for the game? I hate when they do that.. Euro 2004 tapped my dry $20 per day for the games not including booze.. haha

Old
05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
Nevada Smith's is great...

However will they be charging for the game? I hate when they do that.. Euro 2004 tapped my dry $20 per day for the games not including booze.. haha
They weren't charging last week (thankfully), but it's respectful to buy something while you're there. They're actually pretty fair at Nevada Smith's, they only charge if there is a big match and they can't guarantee that the people coming in are actually going to buy something, which is all they really ask. The problem is that Setanta costs an incredible amount.

Red Lion has become a legitimate second option, lots of TV's and usually less crowded, plus they have food (beyond Nevada Smith's Aussie pies). They'll actually be showing the Championship Final, too (Clancy's will only do a replay), but I know a couple of other Hornets fans will be going to Nevada Smith's, so I'm going there. I fully expect us to be hugely outnumbered by the Leeds fans.

Old
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
MrAlfie

Ill be very happy if Espańa makes the semis.
brazil of course is the number one pick for the world cup, germany will be a disappointment as theyll have trouble getting out of the group stage and then theyll be eliminated in round 2.

serbia&montenegro is my darkhorse (a very DARK horse) , they allowed like what? 1 goal in the qualifying stage? great defense and just look at what greece did in the euros.. they played horrible but managed to win the cup with a solid defense and counter attack style.

oh and on a sidenote... i think for soccer to become REALLY popular , meaning as getting on the same level as maybe basketball, the us boys would have to win the cup.
interest has improved but major league attendances are still very pathetic compared to the european and southamerican topleagues.

theres still plenty of room for improvement, but im sure soccer will be established as a top 4 sport in the united states some day... i just hope by then baseball and hockey will swap the spots...

Old
05-18-2006, 10:33 AM
You 'Orns!

[QUOTE=Blackburn2727]
Quote:
Since when is the Netherlands an underdog?? They're a top team!

Well normally they are one of the best teams in the world. But they didn't even make 2002 world cup. THere are also about 5 or 6 teams that are more favored to win. But yea i guess your right, their not an underdog.
I feel like this is going to be one of the best Dutch showings in years, they're not quite the Clockwork Orange, but this is their best team since France '98, I think. They're also very young. Bar Brazil, I feel like this is going to be a very European-dominated World Cup.

Old
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Do you know if they'll be airing USA games on regular TV? I'd love to watch them if they are.

Old
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by romba
Do you know if they'll be airing USA games on regular TV? I'd love to watch them if they are.
http://media.espn.com/ESPNToday/2006...6/cup_sked.htm

Here is the entire Schedule. All the Games are on ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC. I think.

Old
05-18-2006, 12:17 PM
polako

Nevada's is great to watch the games. I also think that Baker St, on 64 and 1st, is excellent. The only time I was charged was during WC qualifying....this year CL was all free, and they had Setanta feeds. I have to check to see if they'll be airing the Championship playoff.

yeah, Serbia only conceded 1 goal during qualifying...they were fantastic, and my main man Djole (djordjevic) is gonna tear it up!

Old
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
O
The Czechs breezed through qualifying and they can never be counted out. I don't know their squad too well, but Milan Baros becomes Superman when he puts on a Czech shirt, Pavel Nedved may well be my favourite player in the world, and Petr Chec is arguably the best goalie in the world after Gianluigi Buffon.

[B]F
Some thoughts:

Milan Baros is good, no doubt, as is Pavel Nedved, but the guy worth watching will be Tomas Rosicky...watch this guy carefully, he is an excellent passer and dribbler, always a danger for opponent´s defence.

The gealkeaper´s name is actually Petr Cech and yes, he is so good , although he is only 23.

Old
05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ
Some thoughts:

Milan Baros is good, no doubt, as is Pavel Nedved, but the guy worth watching will be Tomas Rosicky...watch this guy carefully, he is an excellent passer and dribbler, always a danger for opponent´s defence.

The gealkeaper´s name is actually Petr Cech and yes, he is so good , although he is only 23.
You're right, Rosicky is great, and he probably will be heavily relied on, because Nedved, though he is one of my favourite players, is starting to show his age...

For his club teams, I don't think Baros is that great, to be honest -- good, but not great. He was spectacular in Euro 2004, so I'll be intrigued by how he does in the World Cup.

Sorry about misspelling Cech's name, but it was 3:00 am! (It does bug me when I get these things wrong.)

An update on the US team: Frankie Hejduk is injured and has been replaced with Chris Albright of the LA Galaxy. Still no Jay DeMerit .

Last edited by 007: 05-18-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
If Ireland is in it I root for them and USA.

How is Columbia this time around?

Old
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
You 'Orns!

Erm... No Ireland and no Columbia. A friend of mine assured me that the Columbian U-21 team looks good, though...

Ireland were in the closest qualifying group: on the last leg of matches, any of Ireland, France, Israel or Switzerland could have qualified. In the end it was the Swiss and the French who made it.

Old
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Great thread idea.

I love the world cup, the best tournament there is.

I went to a soccer bar downtown yesterday to watch the champions league final. Maybe the best atmosphere I've ever been a part of. Six Guiness' later I'm watching Arsenal blow it after holding on down a man. The ref really screwed both teams during the game. I'm a premiership guy, so I was pretty pissed Arsenal lost.

I can't wait for the world cup!

EDIT: I saw you guys post above about Nevada Smith's...definetly is the best soccer bar downtown. Unfortunately, I got there at 2 oclock yesterday, I've never been shut out from getting in their before, i was so pissed! I knew I should have left earlier. I went around the corner to Central Bar, was an equal atmosphere to Nevada Smith's AND I'm glad I went to Central Bar because I heard Nevada Smith's was all Barcelona fans. boooooo.

Old
05-18-2006, 03:43 PM
polako

Best Team to Miss out on the "Mundial"

Whom do you guys think are the best teams that failed to qualify?

Greece, Turkey, and Russia are three teams that I thought for sure would qualify for the cup. Greece got off to a slow start in WC qualifying - call it a EURO hangover, even losing to Albania. Turkey performed really well in 02, but like Greece, couldn't hold off the surging Ukraine. Russia also qualified for 02 and did reasonably well in Euro 04, but still couldn't qualify.

Another team that I saw a couple of their qualifying games (@ Nevada's) were Romania...and they looked pretty strong. Too bad they had to go up against Netherlands and Czech. I wonder how they'll do in Euro 08 qualifying...

Does anybody prefer the Euro to the WC? Maybe I'm biased b/c I'm European (contraray to my Swazi flag), but I think there is better quality in the Euro. I know Brazil and Argentina are among the best teams in the world, but I still feel there is better overall competition in the Euro. When you look at the worst teams to make WC, teams like Saudi Arabia, Trinidad & Tobago & Angola, and compare them to the "lower" clubs in a typical Euro, like Belgium...I just think that cup is more well rounded competitively. IDK, just my opinion.

Old
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
BigE

So this thing starts fairly soon eh.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot about football - very little in fact. However, I do enjoy watching a good match, and the World Cup always seems to bring an nhl playoff-esque atmosphere and intensity.

Go Czech Go!

I'd also like to see one of the African nations put in a good showing, I've always been entertained with their matches.

As far as the UEFA Final goes, the fan in me wanted to see the ref let the goal stand. Perhaps, in the end, his decision forced Arsenal into a better game - desparate times call for desparate measures.

Old
05-18-2006, 04:45 PM
TUQ

You guys (Americans) have a tremendous player in Damarcus Beasly. he is young and incredibly quick with ball and has incredibly fast moves ... he is a player I would always love to have on my team (he is soccer aquivalent of more dangerous Afinogenov )

Old
05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
TUQ

Quote:

Greece, Turkey, and Russia are three teams that I thought for sure would qualify for the cup. Greece got off to a slow start in WC qualifying - call it a EURO hangover, even losing to Albania. Turkey performed really well in 02, but like Greece, couldn't hold off the surging Ukraine. Russia also qualified for 02 and did reasonably well in Euro 04, but still couldn't qualify.

A
Camerun

Old
05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ
You guys (Americans) have a tremendous player in Damarcus Beasly. he is young and incredibly quick with ball and has incredibly fast moves ... he is a player I would always love to have on my team (he is soccer aquivalent of more dangerous Afinogenov )
Thanks for the layman terms
Now if only each player would have a subtitle saying who they'd be equivalent to in the NHL.
I'm actually really looking forward to this. I'm not a huge soccer fan but the US's success at the last WC brought me into it.

I was surprised to see how high the US is ranked (No. 6) considering how they're written off so quickly by some.

Old
05-18-2006, 06:24 PM
DontStaal

i love the world cuP! ill finally get to see my home country play in it.. Ukraine. I believe this is the first time they've qualified, since the USSR fell apart. They have a good shot of advancing: spain, tunisia, saudi arabia.. would be insane! Of course i cant say theyre actually going to win.. teams like brazil and argentina have too much talent

SHEVCHENKO BABY!!!

Old
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:

Another team that I saw a couple of their qualifying games (@ Nevada's) were Romania...and they looked pretty strong. Too bad they had to go up against Netherlands and Czech. I wonder how they'll do in Euro 08 qualifying...

Does anybody prefer the Euro to the WC? Maybe I'm biased b/c I'm European (contraray to my Swazi flag), but I think there is better quality in the Euro. I know Brazil and Argentina are among the best teams in the world, but I still feel there is better overall competition in the Euro. When you look at the worst teams to make WC, teams like Saudi Arabia, Trinidad & Tobago & Angola, and compare them to the "lower" clubs in a typical Euro, like Belgium...I just think that cup is more well rounded competitively. IDK, just my opinion.
Egypt, seen as better than alot of the teams that qualified this season, is the best team not to make it.

Old
06-12-2006, 09:22 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

I'm gettin this goin again.

Great start to this year's tournament.

Germany off to a blazing start against Costa Rica 4-2.
Ecuador with the minor upset of Poland 2-0.
Trinidad & Tobago with the shocker: 0-0 tie with the Swedes.
England taking care of Paraguay 1-0.
Netherlands over Serbia & Montenegro 1-0.
2-1 win For Argentina over Ivory Coast.
The Mexicans beat Iran 3-1.
Portugal slips past Angola 1-0.
Japan beating the Aussies 1-0 as I type this.
USA to play Czechs today at around noon.

Thoughts, comments...

Closed Thread