HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Gaborik Talks getting ulgy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2006, 08:59 AM
  #1
neopreneur
Registered User
 
neopreneur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Providenciales, TCI
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
OT - Gaborik Talks getting ulgy

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hocke..._getting_ugly/

Quote:
One of the big bones of contention is the Wild compared Gaborik to recently signed Brad Richards in previous arbitration talks in '03-04.
ouch

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 256
Good for him,I like Gaborik and he shouldn't be playing on that defence of Wild team.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
  #3
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porneau
Ouch indeed! Looks like they should have resigned when they had a chance.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:16 PM
  #4
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,422
vCash: 500


Talk about a comment coming back to bite you in the ***.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:16 PM
  #5
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Gaborik to montreal at 6.9 million a year



"expected the unexpected "

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:18 PM
  #6
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy


Talk about a comment coming back to bite you in the ***.

isnt that the truth

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
  #7
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
Gaborik to montreal at 6.9 million a year



"expected the unexpected "
If Gainey does that he should be shot...no way he's worth 6.9 million a year...what was his best year? 38 goals....67 points?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
  #8
YEMELIN74
Registered User
 
YEMELIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lévis
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
If Gainey does that he should be shot...no way he's worth 6.9 million a year...what was his best year? 38 goals....67 points?
like it or not Gaborik has three 30 goals season with 38 goals this season.... koivu never scored more then 21 goals in a single season and gaborik has almost the same numbers of goals has kovalev and koivu together... i know he doesnt deserve 6.9 millions but if richard does then i think gaborik deserve almost the same amount of money....

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
  #9
e-e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: here
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
If Gainey does that he should be shot...no way he's worth 6.9 million a year...what was his best year? 38 goals....67 points?
on wilds....people don't like this argument but it makes differenece to play only deffence....

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
  #10
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX
like it or not Gaborik has three 30 goals season with 38 goals this season.... koivu never scored more then 21 goals in a single season and gaborik has almost the same numbers of goals has kovalev and koivu together... i know he doesnt deserve 6.9 millions but if richard does then i think gaborik deserve almost the same amount of money....

so if that is the case how much should Ryder get? 5 Million?
No way in hell

Edit: Richards won the Conn Smythe trophy...what has Gaborik ever done? If Gaborik is worth 6.9 million then how much is Kolvachuk worth...where does it end?

Whoever you look at it the Tampa Bay GM has opened up a can of worm....this will probably really affect things this summer and GMs could end up in trouble and if that is the case Bob's best move might be not to sign any free agents

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 03:18 PM
  #11
CH Wizard
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: preparin for 09 cup
Country: Afghanistan
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
If Gainey does that he should be shot...no way he's worth 6.9 million a year...what was his best year? 38 goals....67 points?
Omg 38 goals while playing for Lemaire........GIVE HIM THE MAX.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:03 PM
  #12
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Well two things are sure. There is a cap, and there is a Stanley Cup winner. If high profile players ask too much and every team that signs them destroys their cap room, and fails badly, other teams will be winning the cup. Those teams will be taken as examples, and demand will have to drop eventually on those 6mil+ players. You can't demand money no one wants to pay 'cause you won't get it.

If letting all the other teams demolish their cap space and loading yourself with players that are just below that and are seeing their value drop as quickly as the available room on NHL payrolls is the way to go, someone will try it and win big.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
  #13
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
If we can get rid of Kovalev, I wouldn't mind paying the 7m for Gaborik. If not you've locked about 25% on 2 guys alone...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:07 PM
  #14
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Gaborik is a real star...Maybe the go-to-guy that we need...30 M for 5 years...No problem...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
  #15
Brett38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
so if that is the case how much should Ryder get? 5 Million?
No way in hell

Edit: Richards won the Conn Smythe trophy...what has Gaborik ever done? If Gaborik is worth 6.9 million then how much is Kolvachuk worth...where does it end?

Whoever you look at it the Tampa Bay GM has opened up a can of worm....this will probably really affect things this summer and GMs could end up in trouble and if that is the case Bob's best move might be not to sign any free agents


I don't want Gaborik at 6.9 million. Not even at 5.5 million.

Ryder should get about 1.5 to 1.8 million a season. He's only finishing his second season. If his goal production continues, he'll see an hefty raise soon enough.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:55 PM
  #16
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
I don't want Gaborik at 6.9 million. Not even at 5.5 million.

Ryder should get about 1.5 to 1.8 million a season. He's only finishing his second season. If his goal production continues, he'll see an hefty raise soon enough.
We've got a guy called Kovalev at 4.2m$ and you wouldn't be willing to pay Gaborik 5.5m?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:21 PM
  #17
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
We've got a guy called Kovalev at 4.2m$ and you wouldn't be willing to pay Gaborik 5.5m?
Kovalev is the most exciting player on the team, and adds much more than just points... He's a natural leader, and will be extremely beneficial to some of the youngsters in the dresssing room. He's also an old guard of this game.
Gaborik will need some time in the low millions before he ever makes this kind of money. (even $4.2)
If we pay a 23 year old 7 mill, (aka like Richards) where do we stop?
$3 mill, to $3.5 tops.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:33 PM
  #18
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Kovalev is the most exciting player on the team, and adds much more than just points... He's a natural leader, and will be extremely beneficial to some of the youngsters in the dresssing room. He's also an old guard of this game.
Gaborik will need some time in the low millions before he ever makes this kind of money. (even $4.2)
If we pay a 23 year old 7 mill, (aka like Richards) where do we stop?
$3 mill, to $3.5 tops.
Hop off the Kovalev bandwaggon for a minute. Gaborik is faster, a better scorer and is more consistent than Kovalev. Also how's Kovalev a natural leader? He's no more of a leader than Koivu, River or Souray, which is all we need.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:00 PM
  #19
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Hop off the Kovalev bandwaggon for a minute. Gaborik is faster, a better scorer and is more consistent than Kovalev. Also how's Kovalev a natural leader? He's no more of a leader than Koivu, River or Souray, which is all we need.
Kovalev is also the leader of Russia (Da Kommander is his nickname) he is an intense performer who gives memorable performances from time to time.
By no way am I saying Gaborik is not good, or eventually worth the bucks, but he's got to do the time in order to get the contract. If he's demanding UFA money at the tender age of 23... he's not worth it. There is a very big difference in paying RFA's and UFA's... this should be noted by every rookie / young player in the show. A 7 million dollar a year contract is not right at that age... unless it's purely offered by the team as opposed to the player's demand.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:15 PM
  #20
InGaineyWeTrust*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Greece
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
yes indeed its different for RFA, but the Richards deal makes a big difference in owners mentalities. If it would take 5-6 million a year to sign him, then gainey should do that in a heartbeat. Gaborik is 23 and has had a 38 goal season with no one to compliment him, this makes the kovalev situation look like rubbish. the wild are a defensive team and a pure sniper like gaborik belongs on a team that will drive him to reach his potential. If montreal gets him he can really find his ways with our young talent and playing alongside kovalev or koivu.

InGaineyWeTrust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
  #21
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Kovalev is also the leader of Russia (Da Kommander is his nickname) he is an intense performer who gives memorable performances from time to time.
By no way am I saying Gaborik is not good, or eventually worth the bucks, but he's got to do the time in order to get the contract. If he's demanding UFA money at the tender age of 23... he's not worth it. There is a very big difference in paying RFA's and UFA's... this should be noted by every rookie / young player in the show. A 7 million dollar a year contract is not right at that age... unless it's purely offered by the team as opposed to the player's demand.
To me he's already a better player than Kovalev at the current moment. No question that he'd be more valuable for us. As for Kovalev's leadership...it seems to only really exist between him and the rest of the russians on the team... No biggy.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:38 PM
  #22
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
If they determine that they can't sign him, and they really prefer a player rather than a mess of picks, they deal him to a team contingent on him agreeing to a deal.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:43 PM
  #23
e-e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: here
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
so if that is the case how much should Ryder get? 5 Million?
No way in hell

Edit: Richards won the Conn Smythe trophy...what has Gaborik ever done? If Gaborik is worth 6.9 million then how much is Kolvachuk worth...where does it end?

Whoever you look at it the Tampa Bay GM has opened up a can of worm....this will probably really affect things this summer and GMs could end up in trouble and if that is the case Bob's best move might be not to sign any free agents
i remeber gaborik being the best in playoff 2-3 years ago until he got injured. i'd love to have him in habsland

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 08:12 PM
  #24
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Kovalev is also the leader of Russia (Da Kommander is his nickname) he is an intense performer who gives memorable performances from time to time.
By no way am I saying Gaborik is not good, or eventually worth the bucks, but he's got to do the time in order to get the contract. If he's demanding UFA money at the tender age of 23... he's not worth it. There is a very big difference in paying RFA's and UFA's... this should be noted by every rookie / young player in the show. A 7 million dollar a year contract is not right at that age... unless it's purely offered by the team as opposed to the player's demand.
See the tricky part in this debate is that Gaborik WILL be UFA after this season. You want to give him $3M? He'll take you to arbitration, get at least $5M and walk the year after to a team willing to give him $7-8M (there will be plenty).

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:47 PM
  #25
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Kovalev is the most exciting player on the team, and adds much more than just points... He's a natural leader, and will be extremely beneficial to some of the youngsters in the dresssing room. He's also an old guard of this game.
Gaborik will need some time in the low millions before he ever makes this kind of money. (even $4.2)
If we pay a 23 year old 7 mill, (aka like Richards) where do we stop?
$3 mill, to $3.5 tops.

Gimme Gaborik..and you take Kovalev.
38 goals in 65 games...
That's 47 goals over 82 games....under Jacques Lemaire.

edit:Holy crap...was just watching his goals on NHL.com It's like half of them are on breakaways.
edit2: wow.


Last edited by znk: 05-26-2006 at 10:03 PM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.