HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We could have had Briere!!!

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
We could have had Briere!!!

On 110%, Michel Langevin said that Habs could have signed Brière few years ago. Houle and Brière's agent agreed on the deal and Briàre was about to sign. However, on the last day, Houle changed his mind saying that they have too many small players. He prefered to give a contract to hall of famer, the magnificent Juha Lind. Thanks, Réjean Houle and Juha Lind for your 4 goals in Habs uniform!!!

Old
05-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
I seriously doubt that is accurate, Briere was never a UFA IIRC. Juha Lind was around here in like 2000-2001. Briere would have been like 22-23 years old back then. How could he have been a UFA?

I do know that Briere was on waivers once and maybe twice though. And I remember Peanut's comment about how we couldn't add another ''small'' player to our roster to explain why we didn't claim him. Granted, no other team claimed him...

Old
05-17-2006, 10:39 PM
CaptCrunch

2000-2001 Juha Lind 47 3 4 7 4

5'11''
183 pounds

2001-2002 Daniel Brière Phoenix Coyotes 78 32 28 60 52

5'10''
181 pounds

Other players who played at least 1 match with the big club that year (the nightmare era... sends you shivers...)

Craig Darby
Patrick Poulin
Xavier Delisle
Johan Witehall
Eric Chouinard
Andre Bashkirov
Christian Laflamme
Matthieu Descoteaux
Darryl Shannon
Barry Richter
Eric Bertrand
Matt Higgins

Remember them?

Old
05-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Clumsyhab

Well, you are right, Briere was not UFA. He was probably on waivers and Houle was about to claim him, but prefered to sign Juha Lind instead.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
2000-2001 Juha Lind 47 3 4 7 4

5'11''
183 pounds

2001-2002 Daniel Brière Phoenix Coyotes 78 32 28 60 52

5'10''
181 pounds

Other players who played at least 1 match with the big club that year (the nightmare era... sends you shivers...)

Craig Darby
Patrick Poulin
Xavier Delisle
Johan Witehall
Eric Chouinard
Andre Bashkirov
Christian Laflamme
Matthieu Descoteaux
Darryl Shannon
Barry Richter
Eric Bertrand
Matt Higgins

Remember them?

Sure I remember that era. I think that season was the worst line-up Habs ever had in their history.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
CaptCrunch

I heard that story from The Journal de Montréal before. Brière's agent was cited as the source. I just didn't know they had an agreement and that Houle prefered Juha Lind to Brière...

Old
05-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Live Forever

And why are we complaining like 5 years later?

Old
05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
tinyzombies

Briere was put on waivers, but this is the first I've heard of Houle negotiating with his agent. Might be invented by the 110% crew.

Briere wasn't the same player back then. He's put on considerable muscle. Night and day from what he was.

Steve Sullivan is another guy who was on waivers that we should have grabbed. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Jade

Hands off our Co-Captain! Danny's generously listed at 5'10 . You guys could've had Pominville too.

Old
05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Hands off our Co-Captain! Danny's generously listed at 5'10 . You guys could've had Pominville too.
The guy is 5'7"-5'8" at most.

Old
05-17-2006, 11:03 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
At least we got Begin!

Old
05-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
And why are we complaining like 5 years later?
Nobody's complaining. I'm just reporting the fact that Peanut preferred Lind to Brière.

Old
05-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
On 110%, Michel Langevin said that Habs could have signed Brière few years ago. Houle and Brière's agent agreed on the deal and Briàre was about to sign. However, on the last day, Houle changed his mind saying that they have too many small players. He prefered to give a contract to hall of famer, the magnificent Juha Lind. Thanks, Réjean Houle and Juha Lind for your 4 goals in Habs uniform!!!
I don't know how true this is... But for sure we got that Lind guy... sadly...

And houle was all excited sort of...

It's funny how it goes...

Gainey come up with these guys we don't know.. Huet, Begin... and we are all like.. who the hell is this guy... and then as time goes by... we are all pleasently surprised.

Now Houle would got those guys... and we would have the same reaction... who the hell is this guy... and Houle bragged about them... and as time goes by... we end being right... who the hell was that guy...

Old
05-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Mathletic

Houle also met Martin St. Louis and told him he was too short to make the NHL

Old
05-17-2006, 11:44 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Well, you are right, Briere was not UFA. He was probably on waivers and Houle was about to claim him, but prefered to sign Juha Lind instead.
110, is, as usual, inccorect.

Lind was not a free agent singee but rather an asset that was acquired in a trade (for Scott Thornton)

So he wasn't signed by Houle, he was acquired by him.

Briere's only chance to come to Montreal was when he was placed on waivers by the Phoenix Coyotes.

Even if the Habs had claimed him, they wouldn't have had to negotiate with his agent to do so. So the "source" being his agent is a little puzzling as there would NEVER have been anyway for Houle to have had contract discussions with him as he was property of another NHL club and, better yet, already had a contract and wouldn't need to negotiate anything even if Montreal did claim him.

Finally, it should be noted that all 29 teams passed on Briere.

Old
05-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

Lind was not a free agent singee but rather an asset that was acquired in a trade (for Scott Thornton)

Briere's only chance to come to Montreal was when he was placed on waivers by the Phoenix Coyotes.

Even if the Habs had claimed him, they wouldn't have had to negotiate with his agent to do so. So the "source" being his agent is a little puzzling as there would NEVER have been anyway for Houle to have had contract discussions with him as he was property of another NHL club and, better yet, already had a contract and wouldn't need to negotiate anything even if Montreal did claim him.

thats right he was up for grabs no one took him

just like jason pominville from buffalo (ottawa killer) he was put on waivers this season and no one took him either

i guess next week 110 % will talk about us not grabbing pominville

Old
05-18-2006, 12:03 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

Beat me to it. We got Lind from the Scott Thornton trade, not UFA.

Old
05-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Garry Valk

Quote:
You are correct. The same year, Briere and Philippe Boucher were both available in the waiver draft, and neither was picked. Houle was asked why he didn't grab either of them, and his response was "I'm not going to get guys just because they are French" and "We have enough small players already."

I remember it like it was yesterday. To be fair, everyone else made the same mistake.

Old
05-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Yep i remeber that exact quote myself. That was the biggest knock on the habs at that point was they were too small.

Old
05-18-2006, 07:07 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I thought there was a ban or something about talking about 110%? All they do iscause trouble and bring up things from 5 years ago. Way to go!!!

Old
05-18-2006, 07:14 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
why are we squacking about this now, Briere is a fine player who needs to be in this Sabres system to flourish .He is a piece of the puzzle, a nice playmaker, but this is the perfect environment for him. It is like Edmonton , SOON WE WILL BE READING , GO AFTER HORCOFF THREADS, folks Briere like Horcoff, or Stoll are quality productive role players, they are part of good teams who role 4 lines, solid
defensive play . But lets get real here Briere with us , how much better are we?
Expecting Briere to move us up a notch is crazy , when Buffalo has 10 potential 20
goal scorers on thier team firing on all cylinders , they are tough to beat . If he is too expensive next year , BYE BYE , buffalo will just replace him with other depth players. They have built for this new NHL, They have interchangeable parts , no player is expected to carry the load.

Old
05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Kafka

Quote:
euh...... didn't anyone know that Daniel Brière, Martin St-Louis, Jason Pominville (this season), François Beauchemin were waived once in their career?

Old
05-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Beat me to it. We got Lind from the Scott Thornton trade, not UFA.
beat me also...
what a trade by peanut

Old
05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Nobody's complaining. I'm just reporting the fact that Peanut preferred Lind to Brière.
Thats just one of many bad ones

Old
05-18-2006, 10:08 AM
marvelousmotion

If my memory is correct, I think we passed on him not once, but twice. Back then, I was really surprised no one picked Briere off waivers since I have followed this guy's progression since his early days in Drummondville. Talent was no doubt there, he was racking up points in the AHL but still no one picked him due to his size.

Closed Thread