HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

League Maximum

Old
05-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
League Maximum

The question is just simply: if you were Bob Gainey this offseason, would you sign ANYBODY for the league maximum? Be it a UFA like Lidstrom, Chara, Redden, or an RFA like Sakic, Richards, Luongo, Spezza, Havlat, etc, provided they would hypathetically sign here only if it was the league maximum, or very close to it, would you use the Habs resources to sign this player?

I feel like I'm gonna get an overwhelming amount of "NO!" and "YOU'RE CRAZY JOEY!" responses, but using the bulk of our resources to sign a player at the league max is like saying that the Habs are one impact player away from becoming a legitimate contender. Do you believe this is true?

PS. Pretend that Huet's contract amount will not be a problem with this situation, or that we have to contemplate the futures of Ribeiro/Zednik's contracts

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:42 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

The Maximum will probably only be offered to goalies and 30 minutes d-man. Maybe a phenom like Crosby and Ovechkin but we will see.

In order to offer the maximum you need to have a crop of prospects and /or cheap fillers. Something I consider we have enough of for a few years and shold continue to get with our strong scouting staff.

Offering the max, means you want to be a contender or you want to market your franchise with a bigname even if you're not going anywhere soon.

All these things considered. Players that I would offer the max to and are worth the investment are ;

Lidstrom
Chara
Pronger
Brodeur
Luongo

...that's all I can think of for now.

The max this year will be arond 8M$, that's not that much money for one of these superstars who can win yo games on their own. Remeber Holik used to make 9M$ or something so this is still a reasonnable amount compared to the pre-cap CBA.

edit: I hope Gainey offers the max to someone like Chara, taking a risk that he signs and creating a bidding wart with Ottawa.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Shabutie

I'd consider Elias worth the max, or near max.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Dunno...at this point, maybe I would do it with a guy like Lidstrom since he will not be in this league for many more seasons.

It would help our PP for sure...but his heart will stay in Detroit so...

I would never give that much money to Chara, he's not worth it...

We do need a center, but I wouldn't give that to anybody...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:53 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I'd consider Elias worth the max, or near max.
Seeing how the teams that are having success currently in the NHL playoffs are known for their depth on offence and their good use of a four-line forward core, I'd be more tempted to offer 4M to a couple of very good forwards who can fit in the top-six, and not necessarily 8M on one excellent player. If that one guy get injured, then the team is in deep trouble.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
All-Star

Considering none of the guys you mentioned are currently competing for the Stanley Cup, so they weren't able to single handedly carry their team even close to it, my answer would have to be a big no on throwing that kind of money at any of them.

It takes a deep team to win the Cup, and you can't build one if you have one quarter of your cap space wasted on one guy.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
tritone

Ovechkin - 5yr
Crosby - 5yr
Phaneuf -5 yr
Jagr - 2yr

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

One line is not enough to make a team formidable (look at Atlanta), and one forward is certainly not enough (look at Washington). Teams need depth. Depth wears out thinner teams.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think so... not the older guys, at any rate. And definitely not any goalie who has ever walked the face of the planet... none of them are that much better than the rest. Assuming we could afford it under the cap (which right now we couldn't, IMO) it would only be the generational talents like Crosby, Ovechkin, Bourque, Gretzky, Lemieux, etc who I'd make the exception for. Sakic, Yzerman, Lidstrom are examples of players who might be close to that group at their peak and might get it if they've come through all the way with your team and therefore represent even more than just what they bring on the ice to your franchise... but otherwise... I'd prefer to have a balanced lunchpail group than something top-heavy. Generally speaking. But ask me again when we have more cap room and/or actually show any inclination to get into bidding wars for superstars and maybe I'll get more excited about the idea.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Mike8

Lidstrom, yes.

He would instantly make Montreal's defense among the better defenses in the league, and also greatly help the transition game.

Just look at the two teams in the Western Finals: Edmonton, with Pronger; Anaheim, with Niedermayer.

That said: there is of course no way Lidstrom signs in Montreal.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 02:52 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

It would have to be someone that the current players recognize as a cut above their talent, otherwise you spoil the salary structure of the team. No one would want to resign for a salary comparable to their current one. There are very few players out there like that. Elias is good, but is not a cut above Koivu and Kovalev, to that extent.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Considering none of the guys you mentioned are currently competing for the Stanley Cup, so they weren't able to single handedly carry their team even close to it, my answer would have to be a big no on throwing that kind of money at any of them.

It takes a deep team to win the Cup, and you can't build one if you have one quarter of your cap space wasted on one guy.
Pronger is one that I mentionned even if you weren't talking to me.

Still, like I asid in my post if you already have the depth with young kids and/or cheap fillers like we do, like Edmonton, Buffalo, and many more you can add a max player.

Old
05-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Lidstrom, yes.

He would instantly make Montreal's defense among the better defenses in the league, and also greatly help the transition game.

Just look at the two teams in the Western Finals: Edmonton, with Pronger; Anaheim, with Niedermayer.

That said: there is of course no way Lidstrom signs in Montreal.
I thought the exact same thing. He's with Niedermayer and Pronger a player who makes everyone on the ice twice as better. He'd make the Habs defense top 5 in the league instantly.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 03:00 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat
It would have to be someone that the current players recognize as a cut above their talent, otherwise you spoil the salary structure of the team. No one would want to resign for a salary comparable to their current one. There are very few players out there like that. Elias is good, but is not a cut above Koivu and Kovalev, to that extent.
Great point. That's why I think goalie is the safest players to offer the max (it's never safe).
A guy like Chara while he may not be above the talent level of others he does bring something that no other player in the NHL can. I think players would have to accept that being a mutant pays off, if a there was a mutant forward with 3 arms he would be worth the max also.

Old
05-19-2006, 03:02 PM
jester099

I trully believe no player is worth 1/5 of the team salary.

You can have very good players in the 3,5 / 4 millions range.

I'll take 2 of those players before anybody at 7.

jester099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester099
I trully believe no player is worth 1/5 of the team salary.

You can have very good players in the 3,5 / 4 millions range.

I'll take 2 of those players before anybody at 7.
I'd take Crosby at 7.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 03:14 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
I'd take Crosby at 7.
I'm not even sure.

Thorton is one of the best players in the league, but I'd take the Koivu/Kovalev duo any time before Thornton/Czerkawsky mess.

Crosby is good, but unless he's wayne gretzky good, i wouldn't give him 1/5 of the salaries.

You need 20 good players to win...

jester099 is offline   Reply With Quote