HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tonight's lines from the Journal

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Maybe Brewer sits if he's being traded...lol...hmmm

I'm laughing, but only on the outside. Inside I'm thinking "Holy ****, could that be true??"

Old
11-04-2003, 10:03 AM
PineJockey

Would Mac-T sit Laraque in Montreal? I know it shouldn't be a major consideration, but sitting someone in their hometown (especially when they have forked out a bunch of money for tickets) is not apt to breed committment to the team/program. Didn't he sit Reasoner in NY last year too?

Old
11-04-2003, 10:09 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It's not up on the website yet, but the Game Time in the Journal says that Laraque, Chimera, and Brewer are the healthy scratches tonight. It looks like they are using these lines:

Smyth Horcoff Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Reasoner Moreau Pisani
Isbister Sarno Salmalainen

Staios Smith
Bergeron Ferguson
Cross Semenov

I'm glad MacTavish is finally sending a message to those three, and I really wish that this wasn't the PPV game, because I really want to see how that fourth line performs. I think that it is a very interesting combination, but probably an all or nothing sort of line.
Okay, seriously, when is this gonna end? The guy doesn't sit Brew when he's playing like garbage, then he plays a little better and we send him to the PB in Montreal??? Not the right message. Neither is giving Ferguson a free ride. How you can EVER, play that guy over Eric Brewer, short of OaS scoring a trick and Brew going -6 the game before is beyond me. Sending a message is one thing, but sending out a team that looks like it should get SPANKED by the Habs is another.

Laraque's a healthy scratch in Montreal? I doubt it. He's probably still hurt, otherwise MacT is trying to get him really po'ed by not lettin him play at home.

And Horcoff, who shouldn't even be in the lineup, is on the first line......serious guys...what's this guy doing coaching in the NHL???

Any coincidence he's pullin this when the game isn't on national TV? So less people will see the lack of talent??

Old
11-04-2003, 10:16 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
Would Mac-T sit Laraque in Montreal? I know it shouldn't be a major consideration, but sitting someone in their hometown (especially when they have forked out a bunch of money for tickets) is not apt to breed committment to the team/program. Didn't he sit Reasoner in NY last year too?

Ballsy move by MacT if he sits him tonight, of all nights. And I like it, the way BG has been playing, sending him to the pressbox for a game in Montreal should send a message.

The Brownlee article is hilarious though. It sets up what a great homecoming it is for Bergeron and how he and Laraque will have a lot of family and friends in town.. and then he states the possibility of Laraque getting scratched. That's a kick to the nards for Laraque.

Funny.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:16 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And Horcoff, who shouldn't even be in the lineup, is on the first line......serious guys...what's this guy doing coaching in the NHL???

Any coincidence he's pullin this when the game isn't on national TV? So less people will see the lack of talent??
In case you have been living in a vaccum...

<b>The Oilers don't have any centres</b>

You don't break up the 2 lines that have been your best the past few games (Dvo-York-Torres, RPM), and then promote the kid you just called up to be the 1st line centre.

Chimera needs to sit... so that leaves Horcoff (by default) as the number one centre.

As for sitting Fergie over Brewer, I agree with you, unless:

a) Lowe has nearly finished working on a deal that sees brewer leaving.
b) Brewer has some sort of injury.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:23 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Brew was not paired with anyone at practice, hence the assumption that he's PB bound.
If this were true it would not distress me, man, what a statement MacT would be making. A player's coach yes: 'But no more Mr. Nice Guy!'

Old
11-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Marconius

I'm really starting to get testy with MacT. Sitting Brewer & Chimera is probably a good call, but what exactly has Horcoff done to CONSTANTLY deserve the icetime hes getting. If you want to send a message to Izzy then pb him, don't put him on the 4th line, thats just pointless. GIVE ISBISTER SOME CONSISTENT LINEMATES AND 1/2 LINE TIME......

AAAARRRRRGHH

(I am excited to see how Salmo, plays though)

Old
11-04-2003, 10:41 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
In case you have been living in a vaccum...

<b>The Oilers don't have any centres</b>

You don't break up the 2 lines that have been your best the past few games (Dvo-York-Torres, RPM), and then promote the kid you just called up to be the 1st line centre.

Chimera needs to sit... so that leaves Horcoff (by default) as the number one centre.
You don't want to break up a couple lines that have been playing well, so you sacrifice what would otherwise be your best line and make them in-effect neglibile because Horcoff is in there....nope.

I'd sooner move Reasoner up, or hey, I might even play Peter Sarno on that line, at least he has some clue what's going on offensively. And I sure don't like the idea of Chimera sitting while Laraque is still out. Having to play Pisani, Horcoff, Salmelainen and Sarno in the same game is not a good thing. I'm bettin we're down to 3 lines by the end, I think MacT will be tired of watching his first line stuck in their own zone and put Isbister up there, but he's watched massacres go down before and done nothing, so who knows

And I think we all agree that unless some sort of deal involving Brew is coming down, sitting him like that is just downright loco.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Hemmer

Quote:

And I think we all agree that unless some sort of deal involving Brew is coming down, sitting him like that is just downright loco.
I will have to respectfully disagree. Brewer has had everything handed to him on a silver platter since the Olympics. He hasn't earned squat, hasn't progressed, and looks lost on the ice right now. It's about time Brew got to watch one for a change. This sends a big message about accountability to the players - especially our so-called "marquee" players. I hope he is sitting. I really do. I would willingly take the loss to sit Brew right now - he deserves it.

Of course...there IS that whole Comrie to Philly thread...Brew might be packing his bags right now for all we know.

All we know is that he wasn't paired w/ anyone at practice.
3 possibilites, in order of likelihood (IMO).
1. Scratch
2. Injury
3. Trade

Old
11-04-2003, 10:57 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I will have to respectfully disagree. Brewer has had everything handed to him on a silver platter since the Olympics. He hasn't earned squat, hasn't progressed, and looks lost on the ice right now. It's about time Brew got to watch one for a change. This sends a big message about accountability to the players - especially our so-called "marquee" players. I hope he is sitting. I really do. I would willingly take the loss to sit Brew right now - he deserves it.

Of course...there IS that whole Comrie to Philly thread...Brew might be packing his bags right now for all we know.

All we know is that he wasn't paired w/ anyone at practice.
3 possibilites, in order of likelihood (IMO).
1. Scratch
2. Injury
3. Trade
Sitting him as motivation maybe, but you cannot justify sitting him behind Scott Ferguson to me.....it's just not possible unless (as I said before) OaS had a trick the game before and Brew was -6.

If Brew's goin to Philly, we'd better be gettin Gagne+++ in return.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Sitting him as motivation maybe, but you cannot justify sitting him behind Scott Ferguson to me.....it's just not possible unless (as I said before) OaS had a trick the game before and Brew was -6.

If Brew's goin to Philly, we'd better be gettin Gagne+++ in return.
Wait a minute here, sitting Brewer=Good. Trading Brewer=Bad. Unless the vault has been left open somewhere, the Oilers have alot invested in our, still too inconsistent, future blueline mainstay. Lets take stalk/stock and keep the wheat and throw out the chaff.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:23 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Wait a minute here, sitting Brewer=Good. Trading Brewer=Bad. Unless the vault has been left open somewhere, the Oilers have alot invested in our, still too inconsistent, future blueline mainstay. Lets take stalk/stock and keep the wheat and throw out the chaff.
Just debating if it happens, not wishin for it.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Chances are Brewer came down with the flu bug...
I agree that Horcoff should get pressboxed for a game as well...
this is how my lines would look if i had the power...

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Rita-Sarno-Salemeinen

Chimera-Horcoff-Laraque sit.

Smith-Staios
Semenov-Cross
Ferguson-Bergeron

Brewer sits...

Conklin starts.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Yeah, I just read that same paper and there's nothing about Brewer being a healthy scratch tonight. Just watched the sports on the news hour show here in Edmonton and didn't say anything either. I think Allan or whoever it was is just trying to stir things up.
I take great offence at that. I don't say things just to stir things up - it really annoys me when someone does.

I did make a mistake, however. The Brewer thing was in the Sun:

Brewer to sit?

Eric Brewer was a minus-2 against the Red Wings and, based on MacTavish's defence pairings yesterday, there's a chance he will get a seat in the press box tonight.

Bergeron skated with Scott Ferguson and Jason Smith and Steve Staios paired off as usual, but Cory Cross, coming back from a shore shoulder, could end up partnered with Alexei Semenov.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-04-0116.html

I didn't mean to make it sound like fact, but it's certainly stated as speculation with significant substance.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Brew is playing, must've either been a motivation thing or an illness thing on the part of MacT.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Allan

Quote:
Brew is playing, must've either been a motivation thing or an illness thing on the part of MacT.
Pretty well, too. Hopefully if it was for motivation, it worked.

Closed Thread